CAG NFL Season Discussion

Am I the only person thinking, "Why the hell does the NFL make teams provide the balls? Why do they not just provided them for every game?". Have a multiperson check system before every game. 

Either way, the Pats kicked the Colts ass 2x times this year. Get over it Colts fans

The NFL makes enough money that they can provide all of the balls needed for every game to prevent any shenanigans like this from happening again.

Am I the only person thinking, "Why the hell does the NFL make teams provide the balls? Why do they not just provided them for every game?". Have a multiperson check system before every game.

Either way, the Pats kicked the Colts ass 2x times this year. Get over it Colts fans
This is what I thought too. You're practically asking teams to pull this kinda shit especially when they are only inspected once and then remain in the team's possession the entire time without being checked again. From what I hear, this goes on all the time and the only reason it's being blown up as it's right before the Super Bowl and it's the Patriots. I'm guessing the NFL knows this and only doesn't provide the balls (as well as keep them under personnel control) as they count on people getting those fines since it's like 25k. Sounds dumb but it's the same reason some crap laws are in place for civilians, most notably some of the speed limits which they know are BS but they count on nabbing people for running them since that's money to the state/county. If that's not it then yeah, that's a pretty idiotic thing to implement since you know teams will tamper with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I played hockey, as a goalie, my jersey was huge, and my pads were massive. Pretty much we, as a team, pushed the rules as much as possible to get an edge.

It wasn't really about cheating, as much as it was that we knew the other guys were doing the same thing.

If it's not oversized equipment, it may be a stick is curved too much. There's just so much, and the NFL isn't safe from the same kinds of things.

I think it's generally accepted to NOT call your opponent out on those types of things, because everyone does it.

When I played hockey, as a goalie, my jersey was huge, and my pads were massive. Pretty much we, as a team, pushed the rules as much as possible to get an edge.

It wasn't really about cheating, as much as it was that we knew the other guys were doing the same thing.

If it's not oversized equipment, it may be a stick is curved too much. There's just so much, and the NFL isn't safe from the same kinds of things.

I think it's generally accepted to NOT call your opponent out on those types of things, because everyone does it.
There's a difference between pushing the rules and breaking them. The balls were not inflated to what the rules said they should.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned or a sucker but that's a shame people do that kind of shit. I guess that's the result of the 'everyone does it' mentality as everyone does it simply to compete against the "cheaters". This is one reason why I fell out of sports a long time ago since there was so much corruption and cheap tactics they just didn't feel like a competition anymore.

He's handled balls a million times in his lifetime. I'm sure you get pretty good at telling how inflated they are by that time.

Pretty funny, my favorite part has to be this:

Wait. Wait just one minute. The Patriots winning the Super Bowl would invalidate the entire season? The season of Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Roger Goodell, the NFC South and no-catch playoff catches? The worst NFL season ever?

Go Patriots! Win the Super Bowl! Wipe the 2014 NFL season from history forever!

Am I the only person thinking, "Why the hell does the NFL make teams provide the balls? Why do they not just provided them for every game?"
Just found this article:

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24982082/as-deflategate-unfolds-we-find-doctoring-nfl-footballs-is-nothing-new

Apparently it used to be that way according to Boomer Esiason. But it looks like some quarterbacks, Manning and Brady are mentioned in this article, lobbied to allow teams more control over the balls.

I really hope that the NFL works in their off season to make their fines and suspensions more consistent. They threatened to suspend a Seahawks player because his shoes were too bright, they fine players for not giving good enough answers to the press, they fine players for using the wrong headphones after the game, they suspended the Saints head coach for an entire season because his staff encouraged his players to hit people as hard as they could (or play football) and now it kind of looks like nothing is going to come from the Patriots cheating.

If a Seahawks player can be suspended from the NFC Championship Game because they didn't like the color of his shoes, then Brady can be suspended for cheating in the AFC Championship Game. It won't happen because Brady, but if you want to be consistent then it should.

I really hope that the NFL works in their off season to make their fines and suspensions more consistent. They threatened to suspend a Seahawks player because his shoes were too bright, they fine players for not giving good enough answers to the press, they fine players for using the wrong headphones after the game, they suspended the Saints head coach for an entire season because his staff encouraged his players to hit people as hard as they could (or play football) and now it kind of looks like nothing is going to come from the Patriots cheating.

If a Seahawks player can be suspended from the NFC Championship Game because they didn't like the color of his shoes, then Brady can be suspended for cheating in the AFC Championship Game. It won't happen because Brady, but if you want to be consistent then it should.
The Saint's were trying to "hurt" people... big difference from "hitting them as hard as they could". The coaching staff was rewarding players financially for HURTING people.

on a point spread... what do you think under inflated balls would account for? +1, +2? Would it be more of an advantage then playing at home?

I mean people talk like a QB throwing an under inflated ball can just close his eyes and Eli Manning it down field and it will magically be caught by the receiver.

Whatever edge it gives it is so slight it amazes me people are this caught up in it. It doesn't help your defense, it doesn't help your kicking game or special teams it doesn't help your O-Line block, it doesn't help your clock management or play calling, etc.

That being said the Patriots were caught and I think the punishment should be severe but lets keep things in perspective.

I mean under inflated ball or flooding the field to slow a team down? Under inflated ball or illegally bypassing the salary cap to keep a roster of pro bowl players together?

Edit: And Brady is guilty as fuck. No way someone alters a football he is using in any way without his blessing.

:rofl:

hahaha, like there's consistency in the NFL... That's a good one.

The Saint's were trying to "hurt" people... big difference from "hitting them as hard as they could". The coaching staff was rewarding players financially for HURTING people.

on a point spread... what do you think under inflated balls would account for? +1, +2? Would it be more of an advantage then playing at home?

I mean people talk like a QB throwing an under inflated ball can just close his eyes and Eli Manning it down field and it will magically be caught by the receiver.

Whatever edge it gives it is so slight it amazes me people are this caught up in it. It doesn't help your defense, it doesn't help your kicking game or special teams it doesn't help your O-Line block, it doesn't help your clock management or play calling, etc.

That being said the Patriots were caught and I think the punishment should be severe but lets keep things in perspective.

I mean under inflated ball or flooding the field to slow a team down? Under inflated ball or illegally bypassing the salary cap to keep a roster of pro bowl players together?

Edit: And Brady is guilty as fuck. No way someone alters a football he is using in any way without his blessing.
Far enough, but what about Marshawn Lynch's shoes? If the NFL would have ejected Lynch from the NFC Championship game because his shoes were too bright, then why should Brady be able to play in the Super Bowl when he got caught cheating in the AFC Championship game?

Far enough, but what about Marshawn Lynch's shoes? If the NFL would have ejected Lynch from the NFC Championship game because his shoes were too bright, then why should Brady be able to play in the Super Bowl when he got caught cheating in the AFC Championship game?
I mean didn't the NBA go hard on MJ and fine him each game he wore his original Air Jordan's (and Nike paid the fine?). So this isn't new.

All this Marshawn Lynch stuff is the NFL worrying about their bottom line (i.e. the sponsors and media deals). Heck when I played college football I played for a University that had an Adidas contract. We could NOT wear any cleats that were not reeboks or adidas (they partnered). At first players were told it was okay to wear Nike, UA, etc. but they had to use a sharpie and black out any logos but half way through the season we were told that wasn't okay.

Even for warmups we could only wear certain brands.

This is just about an individual trying to be bigger then league and the league thinking the only consequence is issuing fines.

To clarify, the NFL has a contract with Nike. Lynch's shoes were Nike. Lynch was also threatened with ejection from the NFC Championship Game if he wore the shoes, not a fine.

You guys are trying to make sense of an organization that rules on whims.  There's just no resolving the NFL's decisions, they're completely arbitrary and without any precedent.  In the same season where Ray Rice is shown on camera using a closed fist to knock his wife out cold received a lesser penalty than Adrian Peterson who took a plea deal for over-disciplining his child it's painfully apparent the NFL has no consistency in their penalties.  They're a joke, this whole season has been a complete joke.

You guys are trying to make sense of an organization that rules on whims. There's just no resolving the NFL's decisions, they're completely arbitrary and without any precedent. In the same season where Ray Rice is shown on camera using a closed fist to knock his wife out cold received a lesser penalty than Adrian Peterson who took a plea deal for over-disciplining his child it's painfully apparent the NFL has no consistency in their penalties. They're a joke, this whole season has been a complete joke.
I don't disagree with that assessment.

Guess who failed another drug test
Gordon?

Holy Shit. Good guess on my part.

Is this correct?

Gordon tested positive for alcohol, Pro Football Talk reported. The failed test is the latest in a long line of setbacks for Gordon, whose future in Cleveland and the NFL now will be in question.
I took that from ESPN. Did they mean marijuana?

If he is on probation alcohol would probably be enough.
Yeah absolutely in the real world... often times for DUI or alcohol related offenses part of your bail will be subject to random searches/testing and abstaining from drugs and alcohol. I didn't realize that was part of the NFL agreement.

Are Superbowl practices at all watchable? Apparently Seahawks are practicing about mile or less from where I live.

Trying to get in as much stuff as I can being all the things going on nearby, think last Superbowl wasn't in town. Planning to go to the ESPN stuff in Scottsdale (ignoring the fact I don't even watch ESPN xD), and the downtown Superbowl Central on the weekend.

Been watching right now, liked SVP saying the weather kind of sketchy. It's cloudy ffs, come for monsoon season if you want real Arizona sketchy weather.

The Patriots killed any hype for the Pro Bowl. I watched a little, but there wasn't much that was interesting. It didn't help that the Royal Rumble started at the exact same time.

Niners look like they are going to hire Steve Logan to their staff. That dude is awesome and incredibly entertaining.
He wasn't coaching football for the last few years if we're talking about the right guy. That's kind of scary that he was unemployed (in the NFL landscape).

He wasn't coaching football for the last few years if we're talking about the right guy. That's kind of scary that he was unemployed (in the NFL landscape).
Normally I'd agree with you, but he has a long history of taking less talented QBs and molding them. ECU never gets top prospects and he developed quite a few quality QBs there. Jeff Blake and David Garrard are the biggest names. He also was a big reason Matt Ryan shot up the draft board.

Dude has had a huge hard on to coach a QB in the vein of Can Newton too, so he isn't going to want to do anything but enhance Kap's gifts.

In what world does Tim Brown deserve to go into the HoF before Marvin Harrison? Is it because Brown has been linked to fewer shootings? And Bettis getting in before Harrison is an even bigger joke.

I like that people refer to anybody that wasn't in the current Hall of Fame class as snubs like they're fucked and will never get in now. This isn't the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Normally I'd agree with you, but he has a long history of taking less talented QBs and molding them. ECU never gets top prospects and he developed quite a few quality QBs there. Jeff Blake and David Garrard are the biggest names. He also was a big reason Matt Ryan shot up the draft board.

Dude has had a huge hard on to coach a QB in the vein of Can Newton too, so he isn't going to want to do anything but enhance Kap's gifts.
Ah, some good news for once.

---

https://twitter.com/clarencehilljr/status/561712975312982018

dude's talking about Romo getting the "greatness on the road" award.

--

Does the Bus get bonus points for being a "fat guy" running back? I never thought of him as a hall of fame player.

Ok that's good to know. I only follow the local guys here so just going off his resume I was a bit hesitant.

Lynch vs. Gronk during Mortal Kombat X (Conan O'Brien skit):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNpkSyryQz4

Superbowl tickets that were on short sale:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12255886/hundreds-super-bowl-tickets-fall-through

bread's done
Back