CAG Niche Backloggers Anonymous (Monster Hunter World!) [February]

5 games are tied for third right now, so we need a tie breaker before voting starts,

Games are: Nights of Azure, Fairy Fencer F, FF15, Ni No Kuni, and Ico/SotC.

I'll make the voting thread tomorrow night, just pick one game from the 5 and I'll do a final tally and use that as the 3rd game.

I'll start playing this weekend. I left it about half way so if anyone needs help just ask.

Password: cagniche maybe?

And there we have it! For the first time with a game winning by a landslide! BLOODBORNE!!!!!

There is a pretty big multiplayer component, and this game is solely on PS4, so use the PS4 community to your advantage.

Since Bloodborne will most likely win, should we set up a universal password?
Not sure how the multiplayer works, I started it for the first time yesterday, and it asked me for a universal password at one point, so I guess it's possible. I'm not sure if someone has to create a room or server first, and then spread the password, or if its just whoever happens to use that same password.

Also, I tried to play yesterday... and it didn't go well. Kept dying and losing all my progress in the first area. And I hate games wasting my time like that. I know its futile to complain about From Software games being hard, since they are notoriously difficult, but is there anyway to level up or something? Or is this like classic Megaman and Mario and I just gotta commit to learning?

You first have to unlock multiplayer by buying a bell. Although you have to spend a type of currency to even summon people which is the downside.

It can get repetitive if you're not into that. This game is really tough compared to others in the series. Eventually you learn the timing and dodge enemies. Don't run into mobs. Take your time with the big guys Just keep going through it until you unlock shortcuts so you won't have to start over.

I've only beaten the first boss, but I don't believe you can level up until you at least get to him.(Might be wrong on that). I would just YouTube a walKthrough on how to get to the first boss. After that point you can just grind weaker mobs. I remember feeling the same as BRW until I was actually able to grind properly.

The first boss you encounter is optional so it's possible to miss so a walkthrough is useful. You'll most likely die but you get the currency(can't remember the name) to buy the bell. The way I did it was after getting the bell I would just farm the currency by helping others with the boss until I knew the fight. Went back to my world summoned a guy and beat it.

The optional boss was on that bridge I think? It's been awhile since I've played it. Ill see if I can get a bell or not. I'm only past the first non-optional boss.

I have the CE guide, so I'll use that for now as I don't really like walkthroughs.

If I die 10 more times at this part, I'm gonna have to give up or have someone help me through shareplay.

I guess it's time to play Bloodborne again, I may as well restart since I only beat 1 or 2 bosses before I put it down.

I'd enjoy helping with shareplay, but I'll probably be no better than you at this point.

Here's a guide on how to co-op:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/25/8291453/bloodborne-multiplayer-guide

You need insight

1 for getting to a boss

2 for beating a boss

1 from Madman's Knowledge http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Madman%27s+Knowledge

2 from Great One's Wisdom http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Great+One%27s+Wisdom

Other places...http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Insight

You can purchase the Small Resonant Bell (from the Hunter's Dream at the bird bath). You use this bell to link up with another player who used the Beckoning Bell (also from the Hunter's Dream, after 1st point of insight) in their game.

If you want to play co-op with a friend, you'll just need to go into the game's settings, choose Network and then set a password. Both players will need to input that password before ringing their respective bells.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I made it to the first optional boss and I can level up now.

Anyone have suggestions on what to put stats on? I just do vitality and strength now.

I hope there's another sale soon for The Old Hunters DLC, there was one in early November that I regret missing out on. As I hear it's very well made DLC.

Strength has a softcap at 25. So don't go beyond that right away. I don't think you need too much endurance.

Here's some more on stats:

- Endurance cap is 40 (leveling past 40 does not add significant gains) *there is NO equipment burden in Bloodborne.

- A point in endurance from 20->21 will give 2 Stamina, 2 in Physical DEF, 3 in slow Poison RES, 3 in Rapid Poison RES. I'm guessing it will go on like this till you get 29 or 30.

- Vitality's HP per point has a gradual soft cap from 30 to 50, a sharper cap above 50, and a hard cap at 99.

- Vitality also slightly improves Stamina regeneration rate based on your equipped armor and weapons. [1]

- Bloodtinge softcaps at 25, hardcap is 50

- The only thing known about Bloodtinge thus far is that Firearms deal Blood damage (possibly also related to Blood Bullets), and the damage modifier scales with the Bloodtinge stat.

- Bloodtinge has nice synergy with Skill builds, a +10 Simon's Bowblade has an S scaling in both Skill and Bloodtinge for example.

- Skill (scales your Skill based weapons) softcaps at 25, hardcaps at 99

- Some Blood Gems affect this stat.

- Strength (scales your Strength based weapons) softcaps at 25, hardcaps at 99

- Some Blood Gems affect this stat too.

- Arcane has a softcap at 25 Arcane (i.e. past 25 Arcane, per point investments provide moderately less scaling benefits with Arcane weapons/Tools.)

- Arcane has a hardcap at 50 Arcane (i.e. past 50 Arcane, per point investments provide severely less scaling benefits with Arcane weapons/Tools.)

- Increases Item Discovery.

- Hunter Tools have very good scaling all the way up to 99 Arcane

- Frenzy is a mechanic of Bloodborne. It fills up like a bleed or poison meter, and it lowers both your damage intake and output. Having Insight reduces your frenzy resistance, the more insight, the lower the resistance.

- Beasthood is a stat in Bloodborne; it determines your maximum physical damage multiplier while using a Beast Blood Pellet or the Beast Claw.

- Sedatives instantly clears frenzy status build-up and beasthood build-up.

Thanks! I guess I'll do mainly vitality and strength first, then go evenly on the rest once I hit 25 for those.

Defeated the first optional boss, so I'm making progress.

Maybe don't go to 25 on all of them. You may not need that much Arcane, bloodtinge, or skill depending on your weapon choice. But I'm a newbie, and I bet it won't hurt your play through if you spread stats around.

I beat the first two bosses with only one death (to those two werewolves before the first boss), it's going a lot better than the first time I played.

Ugh, I'm done with this game. Just when I really started to like it too. Made it to the blood beast, and attempted to kill it 3 times, used up my insight and all my fire items in the process. Now I'm back at square one with no fire-boosting items or antidotes. The boss is just way too fast, most of my attacks don't even connect. And the worst part is, I got him to like 1% health on my 2nd attempt, but Alfred didn't do shit.

Ugh, I'm done with this game. Just when I really started to like it too. Made it to the blood beast, and attempted to kill it 3 times, used up my insight and all my fire items in the process. Now I'm back at square one with no fire-boosting items or antidotes. The boss is just way too fast, most of my attacks don't even connect. And the worst part is, I got him to like 1% health on my 2nd attempt, but Alfred didn't do shit.
Ooo, I want to try share play! I had a tough time with him too, took me a few tries. Alfred really helped distract for the whole fight. And you can buy antidotes from the hunter's dream I believe.

Ooo, I want to try share play! I had a tough time with him too, took me a few tries. Alfred really helped distract for the whole fight. And you can buy antidotes from the hunter's dream I believe.
Thanks, but I'm gonna give it another try after grinding a bit. I have a plan in mind to use the flamethrower thing a bit more.

I think what really messed me up was mashing a lot, and not taking my time with this boss. I also missed a lot of oil and molotov throws. I'm gonna play a lot more defensive, and throw it when he's missed a leap.

Alfred is good at distracting, but sometimes he does the job too well. The boss just wails at him and he dies in seconds.

Use your insight to get players instead. You spend 1 insight to get a NPC when for the same you can get 2 players. Also just summon me haha

Use your insight to get players instead. You spend 1 insight to get a NPC when for the same you can get 2 players. Also just summon me haha
I'll grind a bit then try it again. I'll be on roughly 2-3 hours from now. I'll even stream it, so everyone can see and laugh at the worse bloodborne player in the world. But yeah, I'll summon you if you happen to be on.

Oh dang, you use insight to summon npcs? o.o Yeah, let me know if you are streaming it. I'm invested.

On a side note. I got killed by a guy, and sent to a place, and it's kind of a pain in the ass.

Started streaming, witness the worse Bloodborne player ever in all his misery.

Stopped Streaming.

Edit: the plugin doesn't work, so you'll have to go into my twitch channel directly to watch. Twitch name is Superswanton.

Gonna farm Blood Echoes until level 30, then I'll attempt the boss again after restocking. I dunno which farming routes are the most efficient, so I'll just run around Old Yarma for now. Might explore the Central Cathedral with the big monster guarding the gate, since I haven't been there yet.

No mic tonight, since everyone is sleeping. If I stream in the afternoon tomorrow, you can hear my cries of rage and agony then.

Oh dang, you use insight to summon npcs? o.o Yeah, let me know if you are streaming it. I'm invested.

On a side note. I got killed by a guy, and sent to a place, and it's kind of a pain in the ass.
My advice is just run. Some of those are really hard but there is an optional boss there.

Thanks LnKcld and Gershomcz, finally made it through the blood beast!

This game and FF15 are really fighting for my heart right now, but I think I prefer Bloodborne just a bit more now.

I randomly was missing 4 insight, anyone know why that might've happened? The only things I did that might be related was try to search for another player that might need help, and ending it when I couldn't find anyone. But didn't know that took insight?

Edit: Nevermind, I know what it is now. Looked it up and it's those damn squid monsters. Buncha jerks.

I played Bloodbourne over the weekend for a few hours. It's pretty crazy jumping in not knowing how anything works. You learn some hard lessons. It's fun, and I really like the game's atmosphere.

I was thinking I might not play it much with the Overwatch Christmas event going on, but I already pulled Tracer's Jingle costume. Now I won't feel like I have to get as many loot boxes as possible.

You don't spend insight when helping someone. Some enemies steal it though. If you didn't find anyone, make sure you don't have a password on.

Overwatch is starting to get a bit stale now, even with the new event.

So I'm about to take on the Central Catheral boss, Vicar Amelia, and apparently that changes the day to nighttime. Some quests change too. So is there any quest I must do before then, or I miss the opportunity?

Still kind of traumatized after that last boss fight with the blood beast. I think my next boss fight is the witch at Hemick Lane. I read up on the fight, and it seems more tactical than just a straight up brawl. I'm level 45 atm, do you think I should go and train up at the Unseen village first before attempting this fight?

Also, I've been using the Cleaver for a while, but I got access to Ludwig's blade, which I read might be the strongest weapon in the game? Should I switch so I don't waste my upgrading materials on the lower stats weapon or stick with what I am comfortable with.

Your level is fine I think. I use Ludwig and think it's great. In the end choose whichever you want. Every weapon is pretty good when used right.

I restarted it (originally played like a year ago) and chose the axe instead of the giant razor.

It feels a lot easier than I remembered. I still didn't get anywhere, and hope I didn't mess anything up exploring and dying. I didn't even realize you can level up til after I lost all my blood souls. Hah.

I'm on final boss. I won't fight him though so I can help others is they need it. I'll be doing chalice dungeons in the meantime.

What are chalice dungeons? I read a little on them but didn't get the gist of it. So are they like dungeons to take on with a team, and not just a boss? If so, that would be cool to do together, and also help level me up. I think I either unlocked the first one or am close to it.

I'm not sure if it's co-op in there or not. Haven't done one yet. I know they are extremely hard and recommend to be at least level 80 or on second playthrough. They are pretty much just random dungeouns with a boss at the end of every floor.

Edit: Okay I take it back. The level 80 thing might be for higher tier chalices. The first one was really easy and co-op is allowed.

Yes! Beat the Witch of Hemwick, first try. Boss fight was very easy once I read up on it beforehand. A little tricky, and the mad ones had me worried at one point, but got through it pretty well.

Yeah, I think I read the chalice dungeons were meant to be completed co-op, so definitely looking forward to playing through some together.

Alright! Beat Darkbeast Paarl first time as well, the guide really helped for that one. All I needed to do was to stay under him and fight from there.

A quick question. So I noticed in the stats screen, strength no longer increases my weapons attack power, but arcane does now. I thought arcane only increased drop rates? Is it normal for this to happen, because if so I'll switch to Arcane instead. But I'm afraid other weapons will have no use for it.

Another question. My armor lists different stats, and the defense and thrusts/blunt stats are pretty obvious, the higher it is, the more damage you can take. However, I don't really understand the fire and bolt stats. Is it the higher the number the more damage your fire and bolt weapons do, or the more fire and bolt damage you can take? How about arcane? Does it protect you against magic, or increase your arcane stat?

Okay, I answered my own question about the Arcane and Strength with my weapon's attack power. Turns out I had a fire gem equipped, and arcane only boosted my fire damage and not my strength. So I guess in the long run, strength is probably better.

I'm gonna assume the clothing only boosts defense then and not attack and arcane, if I apply the same logic. 

I'm now level 56, the Unseen Village is a great place the grind. Especially against the boars which give 3500 echos each.

The armor is for your resistance. Yeah some gems change the type of damage your weapon does so be careful with that.

bread's done
Back