CAG Niche Backloggers Anonymous (Monster Hunter World!) [February]

We need a tie breaker! For anyone who didn't vote nights or akiba.. You could always.. You know.. Switch your vote ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
But I only beat the very first game I haven't played the others yet...
Its a spin-off, so if it's like the other ones, it has its own set of story and characters. There's overlap with the main games, but just reusing the same characters, major plot points should be brand new. But if course it's up to everyone else.

I updated the first post, Akiba's Trip Undead and Undressed is this month's backlog game!!!!!

(PS4,PS3,Vita, and I think PC?)

As always, last month's Persona 4 Golden is still active if you want to finish it up, as are all the older backlog games really.

I already platinumed this game, but I never played the arcade/toybox mode, so I'll be looking to engage in that soon. I remember this game had a streaming feature where the viewers can interact with the streamer through the game, so I'll be looking to stream this soon, if anyone is interested. If anyone else wants to stream and try this feature, feel free to link your stream and times on the thread. I'll be looking forward to it!

Akiba's Trip and Ni no Kuni. I voted for Akiba's Trip.

Would Ico or Shadow of the Colossus fit in? I was thinking of suggesting one of those two along with Akiba and Corpse Party.
Honestly, there's no real criteria for the games picked. I've suggested fighting and rhythm games before. I don't think it even needs to be Japanese, I'll be fine with someone suggesting Fallout 4 or Deus Ex as well. It really depends what the others are in the mood for, and most of the time it happens to be Japanese RPGs. I'll be looking forward to your suggestions next month though, and your thoughts if you choose to participate this month! Thanks!

I'm going to suggest Bloodborne next time. I left that game about half way and we can help each other out if we use a password.

I'm going to suggest Bloodborne next time. I left that game about half way and we can help each other out if we use a password.
Oh, bloodborne would be great! Sitting in my backlog for a year, but always afraid to attempt it since I've never played a souls game before.

I restarted Akiba's Trip. I was only two or three hours into it. I decided to switch from Hard to Normal difficulty. I remember one side mission fight where I had to constantly heal my clothing, and a bunch of bystanders decided to join in against me. That fight lasted a long time.

I'm one mission away from where I was. Before doing the next story mission I think I'll just walk around and see what kind of items are for sale.

I restarted Akiba's Trip. I was only two or three hours into it. I decided to switch from Hard to Normal difficulty. I remember one side mission fight where I had to constantly heal my clothing, and a bunch of bystanders decided to join in against me. That fight lasted a long time.

I'm one mission away from where I was. Before doing the next story mission I think I'll just walk around and see what kind of items are for sale.
Yeah, I remember having fights last like a hour just because civilians keep accidentally getting hit and thrown into the fight. Especially by my partner. One of the trophies are a 14 strip streak I think, so it's the best time to get that. Definitely start with normal mode, since it gets insanely difficult after a while, especially the 2nd to last fight. Had the game crash on me a few times and had to redo that fight like 3 times. Don't forget, you can restart your game and keep all your levels and items, even without beating it and using new game plus. Just exit through the subway. Makes grinding levels easy by doing the tournament fights over and over again.

If you have the PS4 version, and possibly the PC one, all the DLC will be included in the game. I think it has the Neptunia and Sonico T-Shirts and dakimakura weapons available or something.

I think I have the Artbook or something for this game, so if I remember to, I'll scan it since it was like a preorder bonus and not available to purchase.

Hey guys, I just realized we haven't done the introductions thing in a while, at least not since the first game. It would be especially nice if the newer people got to introduce themselves as well. Also, if possible, mention if you are doing this month's game, or finishing last month's, or playing something else all together, so we can better keep track of who's doing what. Thanks!

I'll make a format so it'll be easy for people to start. 

Pretty much your name (or what you want people to call you), if you are participating this month (or what else you are doing), and what you hope to accomplish with your backlog, and maybe give us a little look at how deep your backlog is.

So everyone on the forums just address me as BRW, which is actually really great. It's actually not even my preferred username, if you have me on PSN or follow me on Twitch, you know I go by Super/Waffleswanton.

I already beat this month's game, but I've always looked to revisit old games, especially this one where I haven't explored every nook and cranny yet. Also gonna start playing a few more Vita games as well.

I'll be honest, I don't think I'll be able to play every game in the backlog, much less finish all of them. So this thread helps reduce the clutter a bit. I mainly aim to finish the originals of a few games like Stein's Gate, so I can move onto the sequels at lot easier by the time they are out. Hopefully this helps motivate some of you to try Akiba's Beat as well.

My actual backlog isn't too large, at least the games I'm willing to try and play. Freebies from PS+ do stack up, but I don't consider those. All in all, I'm guessing around 15-20 games that I actually want to play and finish. Most are JRPGs though.

Hope you guys don't leave me hanging...

My username everywhere is the same as this one. From PSN to reddit, you can most likely find me with this name. It's actually my real name so I'm not very creative.

I'm not participating in this month but is a game I want to get eventually. I'm still playing P4G, really like the game and want to finish it before moving on. I don't play as much as I would like so it will take time to finish it but I won't give up.

My backlog isn't that big really. I decided one day to sell some games I never played and actually felt relieved. The issue is my backlog are all rpg's and I'm a completionist so it's going to take forever with more great games coming out. The game I want to play the most is Persona 5, I pre-ordered the collectors.

My username everywhere is the same as this one. From PSN to reddit, you can most likely find me with this name. It's actually my real name so I'm not very creative.

I'm not participating in this month but is a game I want to get eventually. I'm still playing P4G, really like the game and want to finish it before moving on. I don't play as much as I would like so it will take time to finish it but I won't give up.

My backlog isn't that big really. I decided one day to sell some games I never played and actually felt relieved. The issue is my backlog are all rpg's and I'm a completionist so it's going to take forever with more great games coming out. The game I want to play the most is Persona 5, I pre-ordered the collectors.
Awesome! If you don't mind me asking, is that part of your name, or just a mix of both first and last names? Possibly has Germanic origins? Just curious.

I have used draco259 for pretty much everything as well. I don't have this month's game either, so I am finishing up my platinum on Superdimension Neptunia. I have about 30 games that I would consider part of my backlog, with most of them being JRPG's, but after converting my wife into a gamer and getting her a Vita, she has been helping me dig through my backlog. Her PSN is QueenNyannyan if anyone wants to add her, but typically she just plays VN's and JRPG's.

Edit: posted the wrong username :p

I have used draco259 for pretty much everything as well. I don't have this month's game either, so I am finishing up my platinum on Superdimension Neptunia. I have about 30 games that I would consider part of my backlog, with most of them being JRPG's, but after converting my wife into a gamer and getting her a Vita, she has been helping me dig through my backlog. Her PSN is QueenNyannyan if anyone wants to add her, but typically she just plays VN's and JRPG's.

Edit: posted the wrong username :p
Do you have a brother named Moot259? Saw him once when we were all playing Overwatch together.

I've been adding new and re-arranging old furniture in my entertainment room, so I've had all my consoles unplugged for this past weekend, so I'll try and get to start on Akiba's Strip later this week. Anyone know off-hand how long the game takes to beat? I guess I could look it up, but I'm old and lazy.

Is Akiba's Beat a sequel to Akiba's Strip?

My backlog consists mainly of JRPGs like DQ VII, Trails in the Sky SC, Trails of Cold Steel 1&2, and I recently picked up a PS2, so there's a half-dozen RPGs on there that I want to get around to playing, like Sukoden IV & V, Tales of Abyss/Legendia, and Star Ocean 3. I also want to get back to playing thru the old Persona PSP games and Valkyria Chronicles 2.

I'll be getting a PS4 pro very soon, so my backlog will be growing more, no doubt.

I've been adding new and re-arranging old furniture in my entertainment room, so I've had all my consoles unplugged for this past weekend, so I'll try and get to start on Akiba's Strip later this week. Anyone know off-hand how long the game takes to beat? I guess I could look it up, but I'm old and lazy.

Is Akiba's Beat a sequel to Akiba's Strip?

My backlog consists mainly of JRPGs like DQ VII, Trails in the Sky SC, Trails of Cold Steel 1&2, and I recently picked up a PS2, so there's a half-dozen RPGs on there that I want to get around to playing, like Sukoden IV & V, Tales of Abyss/Legendia, and Star Ocean 3. I also want to get back to playing thru the old Persona PSP games and Valkyria Chronicles 2.

I'll be getting a PS4 pro very soon, so my backlog will be growing more, no doubt.
I update the first post every month with a picture, synopsis, game length, link to buy, and a wall of fame for each new game. I've beaten it before, and if you just run through the story on normal, should take no more than 10-15 hours, and you should be able to earn around 50% of the trophies on that run. To platinum it (very easy platinum btw), maybe 30-40 hours, because you have to do multiple runs, but your progress carries over. A speedrun should take like 2 hours, I think I've finished the game on my last run in under that.

Akiba's Beat is by the same people who made the first 2 games (obviously) but it isn't a direct sequel. I don't believe they take place in the same world even, and have no ties to the story. Even the gameplay is completely different, Trip is more of an action RPG, Beat is turn based I believe.

Also, it is Akiba's Trip, not Strip lol. Easy mistake though, I made it myself when it first came out.

I too would love to run through some older PSP games sometimes. Most notably Black Rock Shooter, Valkyria Chronicles 2, older Personas, and the Fate games. Hope we get to those eventually.

Lol my backlog is in the 100s. Every year I try to take a dozen or so and mark them will never play...

That being said I've been besting around 20 a year. Still working on ps1/ps2 games..

My board name is fine, deadofnight.

Akiba's Trip was one of the games that I played for a session or two, then never went back to because of some other game I was hooked on at the time.

When the year started I planned on playing more of my backlog, but this year had a steady release of new games I was interested in. Resident Evil 0, The Witness, Street Fighter V, and Uncharted 4. And now I'm playing Overwatch and Dead or Alive Xtreme 3.

Akiba's Trip seems to be the only plan right now. December will probably have an Overwatch Winter event, Resident Evil 7 comes out in January, and Persona 5 comes out in February. Although, RE7 is late January, and after Persona 5 there's nothing for the rest of the year that I'm that excited for.

My backlog is deep. In some cases I have entire series in my backlog, and I've even bought dlc for games I haven't played. But it's mostly filled with games that were on sale. Either in the PSN or Xbox digital stores, or a Gamestop multiple used games deal. Games I buy at launch don't end up in my backlog because if I'm buying them at launch then I must be excited to play them.

I had another one of those long ass fights. Granted, I probably could have put my weapon away and just walked out of the area, but that feels cheap.

I think Junk St. has more bad guys spawn to walk around. When they see you fighting one of them they join in. And as you fight them more keep spawning. They weren't hard to beat. It's just they kept coming.

All I wanted to do was fight one bad guy so I could test the animations for a weapon. I've been sticking to one weapon that's quick and has good recovery. Some weapons leave you in a bad spot after their strikes.

I had another one of those long ass fights. Granted, I probably could have put my weapon away and just walked out of the area, but that feels cheap.

I think Junk St. has more bad guys spawn to walk around. When they see you fighting one of them they join in. And as you fight them more keep spawning. They weren't hard to beat. It's just they kept coming.

All I wanted to do was fight one bad guy so I could test the animations for a weapon. I've been sticking to one weapon that's quick and has good recovery. Some weapons leave you in a bad spot after their strikes.
Yeah, those areas can get pretty crazy, especially the long narrow streets. I think I only stuck to quick weapons too, the swords mostly, didn't even bother with the computer cases and the body pillows. Have you done the 100 maid challenges yet? Those get pretty crazy.

I'll probably play and stream some this weekend.

I've been going through story missions and side missions as they pop up. I haven't come across a 100 maid challenge yet.

The boxing gloves were pretty good at the beginning, but then I got a 74 damage plastic bat that I got a lot of mileage out of. I started testing out the strikes of other weapons to see if the only thing holding them back is their damage level. Which can be fixed by fusing other weapons into them. Now I'm using wooden sword that's called "good quality" or something like that. I fused it up 90 damage.

One other thing I've done on the side is if I see someone walking around in a unique outfit I'll check if they're a bad guy, and if they are I'll strip them to increase my level in stripping that clothing item.

I told you guys I would post the Artbook/CD bonus of Akiba's Trip and here it is:

http://imgur.com/a/AyKT1

Album seems to be broken so here is the link.

On a note though, I thought it was a Japanese preorder bonus, but it's all in Chinese letters and it's made in Hong Kong so I'm not sure. The comic isn't even with the Akiba's story it seems like, so I don't even know if it's fake or not. It might be like a Chinese fan book or something, that came with the Asia version of the game. If anyone wants the soundtrack, I'll find some way to burn all the songs or something, as long as it's not too illegal.

Also, might stream tonight, will post a link if I do.

I finished Akiba's Trip. I think I'll go for the platinum. I have thirteen trophies left. Most of them are hidden, so I'll check out a guide.

I think that brings me to four backlog games beaten this year. Puzzle Quest, Life is Strange, SOMA, and Akiba's Trip. Though Puzzle Quest barely counts since it turned out I had left the game needing only three more battles. It was like when I went back to Gears of War after a year and a half, and I ended up having only thirty more minutes to go.

I'm fine with anything, you guys can say Call of Duty and I won't mind. Although I'm not really much of a Nintendo person, and FF15 is another big game out next month, so I don't know if we should focus on the big releases just yet. Also, a bunch of people on the niche thread just got God Eater 2, so maybe that would've been a good choice, especially since it has multiplayer. Just my two cents. 

Also want to talk about Akiba's Trip a bit, played it again last night, and it was fantastic. Graphics were a lot better than I remembered. The dialogue is extremely funny, probably the most humorous game I've ever played. Especially if you pick the third dialogue option for everything. Also, I forgot how amazing some of the books were (pretty much equip them for the player to have a different animation when walking and stripping) they include drunken kung fu and doing the robot.

The characters bickering is also great, the best lines in the game has to come from Pops. In fact, the dub is just amazing for this game, the localization team are really spot on. That scene where they binge watch the Strip Prism anime is fantastic.

I'm really just reminiscing over the game here, and when I think back to it, it's probably one of the best niche games I've ever played. I'll have to give this one a 7/10. Very unique game with a ton of heart. One of the few RPGs with very fun combat, and little to no grinding necessary.

I finished Akiba's Trip. I think I'll go for the platinum. I have thirteen trophies left. Most of them are hidden, so I'll check out a guide.

I think that brings me to four backlog games beaten this year. Puzzle Quest, Life is Strange, SOMA, and Akiba's Trip. Though Puzzle Quest barely counts since it turned out I had left the game needing only three more battles. It was like when I went back to Gears of War after a year and a half, and I ended up having only thirty more minutes to go.
What ending did you get first? I think I got Shizuku's ending first, then worked towards the others. My favorite has to be Rin's though.

I finally started Akiba's Trip this weekend, playing the PS3 version. I got a very early Game Over cause I picked all the "I want those rare figures!" responses and had to start over. Sigh. I guess I can't play as an obsessed otaku then.

So I guess the dialog choices dictate your ending? I haven't really been paying much attention to the choices so far, and have usually picked the most perverted or most a-hole selection, just cause I don't like being the "nice guy". I hope I still can get a waifu.

What ending did you get first? I think I got Shizuku's ending first, then worked towards the others. My favorite has to be Rin's though.
Shizuku bad end. I evened out who I patrolled with because I wanted to spend time with everyone, and I often picked the silliest response. That doesn't help build your relationship points towards a girl's good end.

I did a couple more playthroughs, and now I just need to get Rin's good end to get the platinum. You can go through the game quickly when you can skip all the side missions and skip most of the dialogue. Though on hard and otaku you'll want highly fused equipment to make up for your lack of leveling. And the story is different once you get set on the path to specific end, so you might not want to skip all dialogue.

I like all the customization options you get from beating the game. I think I'll remember playing as an NPC model in the outfit I gave her more than I'll remember the default character.

I got the platinum for Akiba. I might go back to play it again some time. With the final customization unlocks I put an evil looking character into proud gothic dress, with the wings accessory, levitation walk, the main bad guys weapon, and the telekinesis stripping animation. That just looks so cool. I could play for a couple more bad ends. I'm guessing seeing them will completely fill up the title screen with characters.

I just couldn't get into Akiba's Trip. I've tried several times, played about 3-4 hours of it, but its just not my bag, I guess. I'm not giving up on it, tho. I'll get back to it eventually.

My suggestions for next month:

Final Fantasy XV (eh, its what I'll be playing next month anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter)

Valkyria Chronicles 2

Persona 3 FES/P3P

I didn't get to Akiba! If I don't have next month's game I'll play it instead.

Suggestions:

Ni no Kuni

Nights of Azure

Dragon Quest Warriors

Lol, I think it's Dragon Quest Heroes, not Warriors, unless it's some other title I didn't know about. Might even be Builders...

My suggestions are BloodBorne, Black Rock Shooter, and Shadow of the Colossus (I mixed it with ICO, since it is the ICO/SoTC collection most people have.)

So far Bloodborne leads by 4, this is before polls though. This is great since it is a Coop game.

Ni No Kuni and SAO Re have been mentioned since the beginning and never won... /sadface

Tallies so far, I'll let this one sit for a few more days, and run the poll this weekend. So get your suggestions in people!

December   Bloodborne 4 Corpse Party 1 ICO/SoTC 2 Ni No Kuni 2 SAO Re 1 FFXV 2 Valkyria Chronicles 2 1 Persona 3 1 Black Rock Shooter 2 Fairy Fencer F 1 Pokemon 1 Bayonetta 1 Nights of Azure 1 Dragon Quest Heroes 1

I've only beaten the first boss in Bloodborne so I'm up for co-op if that wins...or even if it doesn't.

Fairy Fencer F, Black Rock Shooter, and Nights of Azure are my votes.

Actually God Eater Resurrection instead of one of the above. That would be fun since up to 4 of us could coop it. 

For Bloodborne we can set up a universal password to only get CAG Niche people if we are in the same zone even get sessions going. I'm only about half ways but can go back and help others.

Also only beat the first boss of bloodborne. Admittedly I don't have many niche games left in my back log. I just think the people in this thread are cool so I keep coming back to get outvoted.

I also don't have much left in my backlog. When I realized I wasn't going to play most of them. I ended up selling many and stopped buying. Last game I bought was earlier in the year. Going to buy Pokemon this weekend though.

So I found out there is a new Playstation Community app now, which is pretty cool. Lets you do all the community stuff right from your phone, and even lets you post pictures straight from there as well.

I pretty much made the Backloggers Anonymous group part of the Japanese Niche one, so look it up and join it if you aren't in yet, or tell me and I'll add you. Hopefully if we pick a coop game next, we can use it to set up some sessions.

Current tallies:

December

Bloodborne

Corpse Party

ICO/SoTC

Ni No Kuni

SAO Re

FFXV

Valkyria Chronicles 2

Persona 3

Black Rock Shooter

Fairy Fencer F