CAG Star Trek Online Fleet/game discussion thread

I'm surprised that people are buying lifetime subs so soon. It doesn't pay off until 2 years have passed, what if you get bored long before then?

I want to get this game, but my video card is a Geforce go 7900 all other specs are at or above the minimum requirements. Does anyone know if my video card can work with the game?

It really has a vast array of options for graphics. I was really impressed. You can tweak about every single individual setting. I think they were really trying to make sure it'd run on most computers. I don't have a gaming PC, just a MacBook Pro, and it runs great.

[quote name='Dezuria']I'm surprised that people are buying lifetime subs so soon. It doesn't pay off until 2 years have passed, what if you get bored long before then?[/QUOTE]

Probably helps that the Lifetime rate rockets to ~$300 once the game is released. Plus you don't get the Borg option, nor do you get the extra Character slots.

Personally, no way I'd pony up the $230 for a lifetime sub. MMO's can change a lot in their first months/year. The Borg are cool, but it looks like there'd be better race choices for any task you'd want. In some cases substantially better (if I was going healing, I'd roll a Betazoid, no question).

I didn't get a lifetime sub, was still considering it. I think I'm going to pass though, based on the new crap that Cryptic pulled with Champions Online. There's one new zone opening up, but they're going to charge people extra, like a mini expansion pack, to be able to access that single new zone. Bad form for an MMO, I think, and it sets a nasty precedent in my mind. I hope they don't pull that crap with STO.

[quote name='jp0213']Actually it pays off after 16 months if you go by the standard/non-discounted rate.[/QUOTE]
Look, if you're thinking of getting the lifetime, why would your comparison be the month to month option? The whole reason you're thinking of going lifetime is because you plan on playing the game long term. It's way more logical to compare the rate with the best discount vs. the lifetime. In this case, it's the 1 year for $120 rate. Which means you'll break even on a lifetime after 2 years.

I agree that what was done w/CO was lame and that left a bad taste in my mouth as well. However, the team that does STO is different, and let's face it, the ST IP alone is going to carry this game longer than what CO would ever hope to be at this point. I'm pretty confident that the game will last two years and the game is fun enough where I can see myself playing it indefinitely, at least off and on. It's nice to be able to play through an MMO at my own pace, and when I'm paying month to month I feel a lot more pressure to login in more often to get my money's worth.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']I didn't get a lifetime sub, was still considering it. I think I'm going to pass though, based on the new crap that Cryptic pulled with Champions Online. There's one new zone opening up, but they're going to charge people extra, like a mini expansion pack, to be able to access that single new zone. Bad form for an MMO, I think, and it sets a nasty precedent in my mind. I hope they don't pull that crap with STO.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand. Aren't expansions like Burning Crusade and Lick King expansions that people had to pay for to access? LOTRO had Mines of Moria too. Excuse my ignorance, STO is my first MMO.

Just read through 18 pages and have decided to jump in with the lifetime sub without ever trying the beta. Looks like I'll go with the Steam DDE since the armor looks pretty cool. Even if you find better gear later, you can still wear it for show. I probably won't be awake when the Headstart opens up so I might hold off on buying the game for another day or so. If anyone has other suggestions tell me ASAP! ;)

[quote name='boneless']I don't understand. Aren't expansions like Burning Crusade and Lick King expansions that people had to pay for to access? LOTRO had Mines of Moria too. Excuse my ignorance, STO is my first MMO.[/QUOTE]

The content that they're charging for sounds like it's more in line with the free content that most mmo's add in patches inbetween expansions..

There isn't that much information about the CO zone so it's mostly speculation as far as I know!

You guys need to remember that there's been an active trolling campaign against this game for several weeks, if not longer. Something about the idea of a Star Trek MMO from Cryptic set a certain segment of the nerd population into an antisocial, stupid rage. So when somebody posts, "Oh noes! Cryptic gonna charge us for new missionz!" it would be best to take it with a grain of salt. I actually recommend hitting the person if at all possible. We've played this game and we know it's fun. There is very little to worry about.

Oh, and the point of playing a reclaimed Borg isn't that it's the best class or anything. You play a Borg or a Vulcan or whatever species from the show because those species are cool! Because you like them and how they fit into the Star Trek universe. Reclaimed Borg and Joined Trill will be less common than other races, so there's a certain uniqueness factor there as well.

Less than one hour until Head Start, people! Let's muscle through that tutorial so we can be ready to meet up tonight at 7PM CST.

Impulse also has STO for pre-order with the bonus of 500 Cryptic points (like Atari)... Along with the standard and deluxe edition stuff, worth mentioning right now because Impulse Now has a 5% off anything coupon that will work on STO.

Hmmm I can't get the loader to work and their website is down. Either they are gearing up or they got gang banged.

You can now login, but there is a problem with the liberated borg so if you are a lifer and wanted to make your borg one of your primary characters, then you aren't going to be able to do it. They are working on the issue though. Me, I'm just waiting, cause my primary characters will be the liberated borg and the Joined Trill, which wont be available until Tuesday.

Yeah, I was disappointed to find no borg option. I got in early and made a human character just to mess around, and when I logged out to head in to work, I found Steam was patching my game again. I talked to my co-workers and they couldn't get in due to authentication issues. I'm pretty sure it's the servers getting hammered. Oh well, Happy Launch Day! :whee:

Got in and made my character. That's as far as I got at lunch, was able to get into the tutorial, but I quit out in the bar area where you first zone into the game. Had to go back to work. :censored:

[quote name='boneless']Can the reclaimed borg or joined trill be accessed later during playing? Or is it preorder only and no way after to get it?[/QUOTE]
They've said that they may offer some of the pre-order bonuses in the C-Store (microtransactions) later on, but there's no way to be sure those bonuses would be available.

I picked up STO from impulse, the 5% off was pretty much what made me opt for that instead of a physical collector's.

[quote name='Psamtik']I picked up STO from impulse, the 5% off was pretty much what made me opt for that instead of a physical collector's.[/QUOTE]
Wouldn't amazon.com be cheaper than Impluse? 5% off of $50 is 47.50 and amazon has it for 46.99 and a future $10 credit for video game purchases...

[quote name='starkillr']He said he wanted the collector's though. Amazon doesn't give a deal on that.[/QUOTE]
The collector's edition isn't available at all as a download, it's only a physical product.

Of course, if it's the Digital Deluxe edition, then amazon isn't in the picture for that version.

I picked up the Digital Deluxe edition from impulse. I'm in canada, and there's only one version of STO available on amazon.ca right now and that's the regular. guess they removed the collectors. Plus they don't offer 10 off on their purchases. yay amazon.ca. :(

I'm keeping my first character after all....forgot my small fleet membership so i'll use that as one of my alts and be on that fleet with that character.

Been playing ever since I got home from work. Luckily my account was fine, had all four character slots plus my borg, so I now have a Borg Science Officer. I'm at Level 5 Lieutenent right now.

Unfortunatly there is a glitch in one of the early missions from Admial Quinn. A lot of people are repoting not gettig a bridge officer from his as the reward, when it states you get it. I was one of them. I thought i was just me until I checked the forums. There was a ticket up with about 500 people reporting it, so hopefully I'll get my officer.

The Starbase 24 mission is glitched for me. The McCoy ship never shows up so I can't finish it. Ah well, they'll fix it soon.

I did it last night, and I was flying around forever and finally found the ship. I've noticed some glitches.

Also, I've been playing so far on my laptop, but I tried for the first time today to play on my desktop and got terrible lag. I thought it was the computer so I went back to my laptop and got the same thing.

Is the fleet created?

Strange, I warped out of the system, but then it put me back in the same system, couldn't see my ship and now it won't retrieve me characters...

There's some on again off again bugs, but so inconsistent. I was able to finish all the missions I participated in last night, but one of my co-workers had to re-do a mission twice.

I was able to play perfectly fine last night, but today has been plaqued with problems. The long down times, the lag, the long LOAD times. Hopefully Tuesday won't be this bad.

I believe the game is a rip off

They made you "think" you were going to be able to port to Xbox 360 early in creation

Then its only PC and I see why, they are some pimps

They want you to buy a game for $59.99 or $49.99 and spend like $100's on subscriptions per year.

[quote name='Zeldafanatic15']I was able to play perfectly fine last night, but today has been plaqued with problems. The long down times, the lag, the long LOAD times. Hopefully Tuesday won't be this bad.[/QUOTE]

Wishful thinking. If it's this bad with only Head Start people, it'll only get worse whenever it's open to the public. There's a reason I never play MMO's in their first months, especially popular ones.

bread's done
Back