CAG Star Trek Online Fleet/game discussion thread

So I've ordered the DDE and am considering ordering the $6.99 collectors edition for the goodies and extra 30 days play time.

Is the fleet fairly active? I don't play all the time like some hardcore gamers but would like some people to chat with the times I do get on. Playing an MMO without a guild/fleet is a very lonely experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fleet is not very active at the moment. It's unfortunate but it's true. Maybe with all the people picking this up off Amazon we can have a new recruit night or something.

I've been on a few nights a week gathering crafting materials and leveling up my engineer. Feel free to send me a message if you have questions.

I'm on at truly random times lately. I'm always up for conversation when on though. Also helping out on mission runs as well too.

I'm always open for chat during the game. The game isn't perfect and one thing it is still lacking is fleet support. Maybe when UGC goes live we could start having fleet nights again and do the new missions together.

Fleet nights for UGC would be really cool. I'll continue being underwhelmed by Season 3 until the mission creator goes live, since it didn't add much else.

I'd also like to get some STF groups together to get some of that Borg gear, but everyone needs to be an admiral.

Go into the C-Store during the game (click the down arrow by the map and then choose C-Store) and go to Special Unlocks, I think.

[quote name='eastx']Go into the C-Store during the game (click the down arrow by the map and then choose C-Store) and go to Special Unlocks, I think.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the tip

[quote name='KingDox']Just need to add the Amazon DD version is on sale for 5 bucks. I got it because I wanted the ship battery, but not only did it give me these items:

# TOS Uniform Set
# Joined Trill:
# "KHAAAN!" Emote ."
# Klingon Blood Wine Toast Emote
# Registry Prefix
# Ship battery

but it also gave me the Bestbuy tribble & Targ, Steam DD armor, and 500 C store points from the Atari DD. Its insane so if someone wanted to take the plunge and pick up the amazon DD version I would say its worth it . The 500 points alone is worth 6.25.[/QUOTE]

Haven't been keeping up with this too much, but I can add the DD version to my current account and get those items?

[quote name='docvinh']Haven't been keeping up with this too much, but I can add the DD version to my current account and get those items?[/QUOTE]

You can add a DD version to an existing account and get all the extras, the extra play time should add to your account as well if you're on a monthly sub. The folks on the STO forums also said they were able to add a regular digital amazon version and score the Borg birdge officer and add on 30 days play time as well to an existing account.

I'm LT CMDR rank 3 and i'm bored playing this game after five days because of repetitive missions and awful ground combat.

Things i tried: crafting (too much grinding), patrol missions, fleet actions and other repetitive quests.
What other stuff should i try ?Create Klingon character? not sure if its worth it.

I like STO but there is not enough mission variety. Will i get more exciting missions as my chraracter levels up or is it going to the same grind missions.
STO is my second MMO after DCU Beta and its far more superior but not enough content.

That's the problem with MMO's....(all of them)...devs have to be actively making new content, putting caps , making things harder because there is a large percentage of their user base who can grind out an entire character in a matter of days/hours. I am really surprised that an expansion has not been announced..perhaps with the DLC, they don't need to do such thing.

As a new MMO player, one thing to keep in mind is that MMOs have more long-term goals and are better suited for logging on and doing a few missions per day rather than doing marathon sessions. Stuff like crafting and diplomacy just aren't meant to be ground out. The path from Lt. Cmdr. to Cmdr. is probably the longest between all the ranks, so I'd recommend not trying to power through it or you'll definitely get burned out.

Other things you could try: The weekly featured episodes have a lot of variety and are some of the best in the game. Talk to the Deferi ambassador on Earth Spacedock or Franklin Drake in the Eta Eridani sector to get them started. There are also diplomatic missions on Memory Alpha, Bajor, Vulcan, and Starbase 39 which are more puzzle-based and don't have any combat.

Another thing is to focus on another goal besides just leveling up. You might want to do some star cluster missions to earn badges of exploration, which you can redeem at Earth Spacedock for much more potent equipment. It's a little repetetive, but you'll end up much better equipped and it'll make future missions easier.

I've been on my engineer the last couple nights doing random missions. Let me know if you need any help or want to group up.

I'm about to hit captain rank and so far I would agree. It seems like it took me longer to level from Lt. Commander to Commander as it has been to get through the Commander levels.

But then again, it could merely be that once I hit commander, I was really getting the hang of the structure and layout of the game, thus I was able to level more efficiently vs. when I hit Lt. Cmdr when I was still just fooling around doing whatever. It also did not help that I passed up nearly all the patrol missions because I thought they would just repeat forever- but once I was Cmdr I realized there is just one per sector and thus I just did them all in a row...

P.S. What's up with the exchange? The prices on some of the things seem ridiculous. I can sell a schematic that consists of the most basic components for huge amounts of EC, same goes for phaser arrays, etc? I'm positive nobody is actually buying most of these things to actually use, (who would pay 200k+ for a Mk IV phaser beam array they could craft themselves after a nominal amount of resource harvesting?) is everyone just trying to speculate/profit off the items?

Ruahrc

Some good stuff in this month's Ask Cryptic, although a lot of it is a few months away.

• Private fleet action instances (Season 4)
  • Refit your old ships to make them more viable at higher levels
  • Mystery anniversary event at Earth Spacedock on 2/2
  • New uniform options
East will be pleased to know that there's a playable Andorian ship coming out, probably before Season 4. Also they mentioned possibility of using player-created content to augment the repetetive exploration cluster missions, which actually made my jaw drop a little. That's just what those cluster missions need.

2/2 sounds like a good time for Ceti Alpha Garrison to take over Spacedock!

[quote name='Ruahrc']P.S. What's up with the exchange? The prices on some of the things seem ridiculous. I can sell a schematic that consists of the most basic components for huge amounts of EC, same goes for phaser arrays, etc? I'm positive nobody is actually buying most of these things to actually use, (who would pay 200k+ for a Mk IV phaser beam array they could craft themselves after a nominal amount of resource harvesting?) is everyone just trying to speculate/profit off the items?[/QUOTE]

I'm really not sure what causes that. It could be a lot of rich players would just rather not spend time going out and getting the materials. You'd be surprised how often sales like that go through, though; occasionally I've gotten insane prices just for selling the default equipment from a new ship.

hows the end game in sto (was super disappointed how CO turned out to be was ending up buying a lifetime sub for that, as i ended up capping a toon before the game went officially live)

There's not a whole lot of endgame content at the moment. After you hit the level cap, there's PvP, Fleet Actions, and three or four raid-like Special Task Force missions. I just did my first STF this weekend and it was interesting. Fairly challenging and there was a good variety of objectives compared to the usual episodes, although it took quite a while to finish.

I don't do PvP so I can't comment on that, but it seems like it's alive and well, at least enough to provoke a lot of discussion on the official forums.

If you're an MMO power gamer, you'll probably be able to reach STO's level cap pretty quickly. Keep that in mind if you're considering a lifetime sub.

[quote name='metaly']I'm really not sure what causes that. It could be a lot of rich players would just rather not spend time going out and getting the materials. You'd be surprised how often sales like that go through, though; occasionally I've gotten insane prices just for selling the default equipment from a new ship.[/QUOTE]

You're not kidding. Just yesterday I sold 2 beam array schematics for 750,000 each! Beam array schematics, the most easily craftable item ever! There was only one other beam schematic on offer on the exchange for 1mil so I jumped on the opportunity and put up a couple at 750k. Lo and behold, 5 mins later I am 1.5 mill richer.

Not to mention a few steals I have found, including 3 prototype science consoles that I picked up for about 6000 each. Even the Ferengi would be impressed at the profit potential of that buy.

I guess a CAG in real life, CAG in STO hehe.

Tried the gekli herding fleet action last night... weird stuff.

Cool find about the weekly episodes. The Devidian series had probably the best missions in the game. I can't wait to see what Cryptic will do with the Romulans. Hopefully there will be some kind of espionage element.

Also they finally updated the release calendar. The Delta Flyer shuttle will be out around the same time the new series begins, and the long-awaited All Good Things uniforms should be out any day now. The listing actually says "All Good Things Set"... I wonder if they've got more in store than just the uniforms?

[quote name='Ruahrc']You're not kidding. Just yesterday I sold 2 beam array schematics for 750,000 each! Beam array schematics, the most easily craftable item ever! There was only one other beam schematic on offer on the exchange for 1mil so I jumped on the opportunity and put up a couple at 750k. Lo and behold, 5 mins later I am 1.5 mill richer.

Not to mention a few steals I have found, including 3 prototype science consoles that I picked up for about 6000 each. Even the Ferengi would be impressed at the profit potential of that buy.

I guess a CAG in real life, CAG in STO hehe.[/QUOTE]

what material do you need and how much research XP for beam array?

I'm hoping season 3 episode will be as good as phantasm from season 2.

Beam array schematics are one of the recipe items that is needed to craft any beam array weapon. Like all schematics it only requires tier 1 resources and 0 research XP. Thus my surprise that I was able to sell some at such absurd prices.

Don't be fooled that this is a secret to easy money- it was all about timing and luck. It just so happened that there was only 1 other offer of beam array schematics on the exchange when I looked, and the offer was for 1 million, so I undercut that guy and to my surprise, someone was dumb (or rich) enough to buy my schematics.

I happened to sit next to a table of Cryptic employees at lunch today. I tried my best to eavesdrop but I don't think they talked about anything STO-related. :cry:

[quote name='metaly']I happened to sit next to a table of Cryptic employees at lunch today. I tried my best to eavesdrop but I don't think they talked about anything STO-related. :cry:[/QUOTE]

you should have asked them when free to play starts

[quote name='maxim2boobles']you should have asked them when free to play starts[/QUOTE]

LOL..they are probably contracted NOT TO TALK about the game outside of the workplace. So I doubt you will hear, "OH MAN I HOPE EVERYONE LOVES THE ROMULAN EXPANSION PACK WE ARE RELEASING OVER THE SUMMER..ITS GONNA BE AWESOME!!"

Star Trek Online Anniversary Sale

Jan 25-Feb 4: 20% off all C-Store items (except All Good Things Uniforms)
20% off Lifetime Subscriptions ($240 instead of $300)

Fleet actions are designed for huge groups and don't scale down, so they can take forever or be seemingly impossible if you don't have enough people working together. That's why they're not too popular, ground fleet actions especially. The Gorn Minefield, Klingon Scout Force and Starbase 24 fleet actions are usually pretty active though, if you want to get in on some epic space battles.

The Crystalline Entity is a whole other situation. It takes an experienced (or at least informed) group to be able to actually kill it, and just one person doing the wrong thing can ruin it for everyone. I've personally never killed it. Here's a good explanation of how it works, if you're feeling confident.

[quote name='metaly']Fleet actions are designed for huge groups and don't scale down, so they can take forever or be seemingly impossible if you don't have enough people working together. That's why they're not too popular, ground fleet actions especially. The Gorn Minefield, Klingon Scout Force and Starbase 24 fleet actions are usually pretty active though, if you want to get in on some epic space battles.

The Crystalline Entity is a whole other situation. It takes an experienced (or at least informed) group to be able to actually kill it, and just one person doing the wrong thing can ruin it for everyone. I've personally never killed it. Here's a good explanation of how it works, if you're feeling confident.[/QUOTE]

I've also never killed it. Back when the game started you had to find a pug that knew what they were doing and I didn't feel like spending the hours it required to stumble upon one of the those groups. And now that the game has been out for a year no one ever runs that mission. I figure Crypric will eventually redo it and I'll run it then. I think killing it gets you a trophy, but no one visits my bridge so I really don't care.

Nobody visits your bridge because you spilled all those drinks and you never cleaned them up. Come on man, show some pride!

In case you're wondering what they've got in store for the anniversary week starting this Wednesday...
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=198847

They're going to destroy the current Earth Spacedock and replace it with the one from the movies. Awesome!

It sounds like there will be other stuff going on, too.

On a personal note, my engineer is just about to make rear admiral so I'll finally be getting that Sovereign I lusted after during beta. Only took a year! :lol:

Are there enough CAGs to run our own Crystalline Entity run? I'm something like capt grade 6 or so. I think they said in the future they would implement something like being able to spawn a private instance of a fleet action for your fleet/group, so you don't get randoms screwing it up.

Ruahrc

P.S. anyone jump in on the lifetime offer while it's on sale? I'm thinking about it pretty seriously, but honestly I do not play STO nearly as much as I did that first month when it was new to me. I think it's down to I'm either going to get the lifetime, or just stop playing the game.

[quote name='Ruahrc']Are there enough CAGs to run our own Crystalline Entity run? I'm something like capt grade 6 or so. I think they said in the future they would implement something like being able to spawn a private instance of a fleet action for your fleet/group, so you don't get randoms screwing it up.

Ruahrc

P.S. anyone jump in on the lifetime offer while it's on sale? I'm thinking about it pretty seriously, but honestly I do not play STO nearly as much as I did that first month when it was new to me. I think it's down to I'm either going to get the lifetime, or just stop playing the game.[/QUOTE]

I would be totally down to do it, I've never had the chance to try it out. So either you're going to play it a lot or not at all? That's an interesting view.:)

[quote name='metaly']The fleet is pretty dead at this point, but I tend to play pretty late so I don't what it's like during the day. I'll be on in a few hours to check out the anniversary events, though. It sounds like the new Spacedock is live and it even has docking animations to go with it.

Here's an anniversary message from executive producer Dstahl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc8BE0HWGG4[/QUOTE]

See this what I was afraid of. No offense EastX. I can't even remember my character stats right now. :( I dunno, but this game taxed my video card to the point where it now makes high pitch noises during any 3d game play :(

Well, I stepped away from actively running the fleet months ago. I was really sad when so many fleet members quit playing or didn't actively participate. Now that the game's actually gotten a lot better, it's a shame that everyone doesn't come back.

[quote name='eastx']Well, I stepped away from actively running the fleet months ago. I was really sad when so many fleet members quit playing or didn't actively participate. Now that the game's actually gotten a lot better, it's a shame that everyone doesn't come back.[/QUOTE]

I think a few reasons why I left the game were:

-That broken FIRECAVE mission. That really pissed me off for 2 months!!!!

-The C Store.... cool things should not be micro tranactioned like that :(

-Could never get a good ship configuration.

-Fleet members would not be as active as before or wouldn't respond to hails.

-Nearly maxing out my crew members skills and getting too attached to them to dismiss them :(

[quote name='eastx']Now that the game's actually gotten a lot better, it's a shame that everyone doesn't come back.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. Cryptic (or Atari or whoever) shot themselves in the foot releasing this when they did, but there's so much more to do now that it's worth players taking another look. The featured series are AWESOME, and there's a new one starting this Saturday!

[quote name='ITDEFX']I think a few reasons why I left the game were:

-Could never get a good ship configuration.

-Fleet members would not be as active as before or wouldn't respond to hails.

-Nearly maxing out my crew members skills and getting too attached to them to dismiss them :([/QUOTE]

Probably not so pressing since you left and said you've forgotten your character, but I'd be curious to hear what sort of ship you were using or what difficulty you were having assigning your crew.

And yeah, I always thought it was strange that we had so many silent fleet members.

Anyway, I'll be logging on in a few minutes to see what's going down at ESD.

Edit: Oh god there's a humongous patch and it's going slow as hell. Should've seen that coming. Looks like science ships got some much-needed boosts, at least.

I can't remember... I think I was an engineer with a tactical lvl 5 ship (the promiethous type variant ship)

What kind of in game 1 year vet rewards did they give out? Is the game still populated with people or is there a decline? What does the new space dock look like? I'm trying to find blogs and so on that covers this but no avail.

I just checked my screenshot folder... 2.2 GIGS of images..DAMN!!! I couldn't help it...the space scenes were amazing...they really put a lot of time and effort into that part of the game.

I'll be back. I logged off when life got really busy months ago and just haven't had more than 30mins to game anymore. Things finally calmed down and I want to get back into it but I've got a far way to rank up still.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I can't remember... I think I was an engineer with a tactical lvl 5 ship (the promiethous type variant ship)

What kind of in game 1 year vet rewards did they give out? Is the game still populated with people or is there a decline? What does the new space dock look like? I'm trying to find blogs and so on that covers this but no avail.

I just checked my screenshot folder... 2.2 GIGS of images..DAMN!!! I couldn't help it...the space scenes were amazing...they really put a lot of time and effort into that part of the game.[/QUOTE]

Yesterday was actually the busiest I've seen the game in months. It looked like a traffic jam at spacedock, and that was just the outside!

Inside, Q is there and giving out some party favors and causing trouble. There's also a daily repeatable quest for the rest of the week, which I've heard can give out ultra rare items like pet targs (for Feds) and photonic bridge officers. There's no 1-year veteran reward, but I think people get a pilotable Captain's Yacht for 400 days, which should be in March. That should come in handy for the upcoming shuttle missions.

You mentioned screenshots, which is one of my guilty pleasures as well. Have you seen sector space since the Season 3 update? It's a huge improvement. Makes the long warp journeys pass by in no time since I'm just swiveling the camera around and gawking. :drool:

Some screens:

Updated sector space (new with Season 3).
screenshot_2011-01-31-14-06-37.jpg

New Earth Spacedock! I had to move forward to escape the horde of ships warping in.
screenshot_2011-02-04-00-42-01.jpg

ESD's interior got some updates as well. You now get this incredible view when you visit ship requisitions. Makes me wish you could explore the different levels of the station.
screenshot_2011-02-03-21-37-14.jpg

All salute Captain Horta!
screenshot_2011-02-04-01-33-26.jpg

[quote name='metaly']Yesterday was actually the busiest I've seen the game in months. It looked like a traffic jam at spacedock, and that was just the outside!

Inside, Q is there and giving out some party favors and causing trouble. There's also a daily repeatable quest for the rest of the week, which I've heard can give out ultra rare items like pet targs (for Feds) and photonic bridge officers. There's no 1-year veteran reward, but I think people get a pilotable Captain's Yacht for 400 days, which should be in March. That should come in handy for the upcoming shuttle missions.

You mentioned screenshots, which is one of my guilty pleasures as well. Have you seen sector space since the Season 3 update? It's a huge improvement. Makes the long warp journeys pass by in no time since I'm just swiveling the camera around and gawking. :drool:

Some screens:

Updated sector space (new with Season 3).
screenshot_2011-01-31-14-06-37.jpg

New Earth Spacedock! I had to move forward to escape the horde of ships warping in.
screenshot_2011-02-04-00-42-01.jpg

ESD's interior got some updates as well. You now get this incredible view when you visit ship requisitions. Makes me wish you could explore the different levels of the station.
screenshot_2011-02-03-21-37-14.jpg

All salute Captain Horta!
screenshot_2011-02-04-01-33-26.jpg
[/QUOTE]

OMG!!!:drool::drool:

I read they were reverting back to the TNG Spacedock...but is it temporary or perm? I guess you don't see other people's ships in there too right?

bread's done
Back