CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

In regards to this multi-episode karaoke debate I'd thought I might as well set the record straight finally.

The word itself is made up of two Japanese words, Karrapo meaning "empty" and Okusutura meaning "Orchestra" (borrowed word). The word Kara-oke broken down means literally, empty orchestra, as in, no vocals.
Pronunciation: Care-A-Okay

It started in the 70's in a bar in Japan when the bar's scheduled musician didn't show up. The manager decided to hook up some mics and a stereo and had the customers sing along, and it proved insanely popular.

The manager, got rich off of this and all the bars in Kobe, which is the official birthplace of Karaoke had karaoke nights.

Soon after a visiting engineer from Pioneer Electronics saw this and created a machine that played the music AND rolled the lyrics creating the karaoke we know today.

There are currently over 100,000 karaoke bars and businesses dedicated solely to hosting karaoke.

The more you know :D

I'm not sure how far it's spread but Humble Bundle is getting flak for their Humble THQ Bundle
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+HumbleBundle/posts/4zB3ARPyAsd

Some gamer claiming HumbleBundle "sold out", deceived everyone, and forgot about their mandate to Linux with their windows only, DRM required, non-indie bundle.

Since these people are clearly blowing a small issue way out or proportion how bad do you think the whiplash is going to be from everyone changing their minds on Humble Indie Bundle 7 (the next number)

Just as Microsoft wanted to do with its Kinect monitoring system, Verizon also wants to do the same for its Fios TV customers. This time, Verizon's new DVR machine wants to air ads based on what the built-in cameras sees. http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-ads-on-your-tv-a-camera-in-your-set-top-box/ If Apple patented this system, if it hasn't has already, most people, especially CheapyD, wouldn't bat an eye right? Instead praise this violation of our privacy as a means of innovating the advertising world.

[quote name='Jrittmayer']
Pronunciation: Care-A-Okay
[/QUOTE]
That is not possible. Japanese pronunciation of letters is always the same.
Ka-Ra-O-Ke

There are often games that debut at at the Spike Video Game Awards, like Skyrim, Spec Ops, Halo Reach and many others in the past.

What would you love to see announced at the VGAs tomorrow?

I am hoping for:
Fallout 4
Destiny (Bungie's new project)
Alan Wake 2 (Although I think they will save this for E3.)

Do you think Sony or Microsoft would be willing to wait another year to release new systems using something other than updated graphics as the draw?? We all know games will look great (the sheep will flock to Modern Warfare) in the new consoles but what is really the next big craze? Can they wait for results from Wii U, the Oculus Head unit and other new devices. Kinect 2 with advanced camera integration that actually works would be nice but do we really need a Sony "Next Moves" (lol). I want innovation not a graphical overall that won't be leaps and bounds better. Your thoughts?

what up, nerds?

what is your most regrttable gaming purchase for 2012? what's the best?

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/421822/december-04-2012/low-t---low-o

Have you guys heard of a "testosterone supplement" called Androgel? Supposedly it's supposed to enhance your virility, but carries some dangerous side effects. Living beings should not come in contact with it, and if you do you'll have to wash it down with soap and water immediately. Funny how bodily fluids require bleach or any industrial strength cleanser, but Androgel, although dangerous, can easily be disposed of with a little soap. Have you guys encountered any funny and bizarre pharmaceuticals?

What do you guys think the odds are of "Enhanced" editions of current gen games coming out on next gen systems. For example a Bioshock Infinite port with graphics like that of the upcoming PC version.

If so, what other features could be included and at what price should they be?

the ea/insomniac game overstrike which was rebranded as fuse has a new trailer. any thoughts on the gritty battlefield-esque treatment?

From user: CampingKaraoke

I was dismayed to hear Cheapy was tricked by the pricing for Xbox karaoke, despite having lived in Japan for so long. Obviously American companies are unable to make a Japanese business model fun or successful without deception. For the last 3 years I've been paying Japanese karaoke company "Joysound" my well-earned money for time credits on my Wii and avoiding extortion of karaoke rooms in Japan. Consider this little-known party tool:

Karaoke Joysound Wii Super DX (region-locked, Japan only)
300 Wii points -> 24 hours
500 Wii points -> 3 days
1000 Wii points -> 30 days
2000 Wii points -> 90 days

Nice, I can already hear Wombat screaming, "What, those Samurais sing for 90-days straight?" It's 90 days of access to a 78,000 song catalog, about the cheapest form of entertainment I know. They have Twisted Sister and Cheapy Trick, to boot.

Playstation 3 now has a free app "Joysound Dive" available if you create a Japanese PS3 account:
300yen -> 24 hours
1,000yen -> 30 days

Everyone sing:
"Microsoft Xbox, you're to blame, you give karaoke, a bad name [bad name]"

Question for Shipwreck:

I too am a red headed Cincinnatian, considering how rare of a breed we are in Cincinnati; Do you think we could be distant cousins? Full creep mode here.

-Shipwrecks #1 fan

Still playin Farcry 3? Great game, best man ending ever .... major spoiler..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

you literally get fuc**d to death!!! :) What else can u ask for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Two questions this week...

This one is more for Shipwreck, since he seemed to enjoy Darksiders II more than the other two, but what do you guys think the odds are for Darksiders III and IV now that THQ is going under? Second, what are your most anticipated games of 2013, if this is, indeed, the end of this generation of games?

Hey Cheapy, Shipwreck, and Wombat,

Xbox Smartglass has been out for a couple of months now and I've been trying out the app on my Nexus 7 to much disappointment because very few games support it, but those that do don't use it for anything that's even close to what Microsoft hyped up as its potential at E3 last year. All of the XBLA games I've played on this list just give me links to a few relevant websites, a list of controls, and an achievements list, which seems more like what you'd expect as generic universal support across all games rather than the unique support that they worked on for those few games. Would it be safe to call this a failure at this point because it seems to have been rushed to launch alongside Windows 8 without any significant content to back the E3 hype?

Here's my question, if the used games market does go away, would we see better deals for new games, or more price drops? What would a world without usd games look like?

If the new Xbox came with a Leap Motion controller instead of a Kinect how likely would you be to use it? It fits Cheapy's criteria of being small and unobtrusive. The demo video shows it being used to play a shooter game.

I'm a huge Fallout3 fan and I know you are too (except for Shippy....)

- Are there any features you would like to see in the next iteration of the Fallout franchise?
- Do you think it will be coming out for this or the next console generation?

Thanks in advance!

I hope I'm not too late for this, I just got home from work and realized you guys were doing the CAGcast tonight...

What are your thoughts on the User Reviews of DmC: Devil May Cry on Metacritic, particularly that the fans of the last games are intentionally tanking the game for the sole reasoning that the game is a reboot and not a proper sequel? Sniveling whining from a fanbase with a large mouth, or is it a realistic reaction to a game that, as far as I can tell five levels in, is just as good, if not better, than the original series?

Hey CAGcast,

I have been listening to the show since the XBOX pearl incident. I loved who you guys handled the disgruntled person from Kotaku because you basically pointed out the problems with video game "journalism" .

That being said, I am a physician who specializes in anesthesiology, cardiac, and critical care but I have to qualify that I am not a foot doctor. I don't know much about feet in general but I just think it is funny how Cheapy is always trying to do things more naturally like buy special shoes.

Take a look at Cheapy's life, he lives in the city that as far from natural as possible and here is Cheapy keeping it real by trying to walk like a caveman. Let me say I don't think that it is wrong but just interesting.

Love the show, keep doing it and I look forward to hearing about Cheapy's next adventure of hunting/gathering his own food because it is more natural.

P.S. I live somewhat close to Shipwreck, we should go get a beer sometime.

Hey Cheapy -

What kind of crazy shit do they have in Japanese arcades these days? Surely there's something fun to tell us about.

watch this bitches!- have you fellas seen the halo 4 & battlestar galactica machinema series?

questions!
-what is your IP fantasy reboot for 2013? i'm still hard behind mutant league football...
-with the new blood pumping through mobile gaming(android, ios, nintendo, cough*vita*) and the possible expansion of consoles(ouia?, piston/steambox, pc-powah!, sony & xbox) could this be the time for a staggering nintendo to gracefully step away from consoles?
-what is your most common adult beverage for gaming?

Hi guys,

Last week you got asked what your most anticipated games of the year were. I don't feel like you were properly prepared to answer that question. That's why I took the initiative and made a spreadsheet for you (Shipwreck style). So here you go, green games have already come out, blue have a solid release date, and red don't have a release date. It's fairly up to date and it has just about every major release on it. So, if you want, check that out, and let us know if anything new pops out at you.

[quote name='Jackhole85']Hi guys,

Last week you got asked what your most anticipated games of the year were. I don't feel like you were properly prepared to answer that question. That's why I took the initiative and made a spreadsheet for you (Shipwreck style). So here you go, green games have already come out, blue have a solid release date, and red don't have a release date. It's fairly up to date and it has just about every major release on it. So, if you want, check that out, and let us know if anything new pops out at you.[/QUOTE]

Sweet spread my man!!

Dear Hosts, any interest for changing the formula for the "Game of the Year" episode? Could be fun, but requires some work.

Basically, you set up a playoff bracket at the end of the year. You could start with an even number of games that meet a criteria and pair them off. Each of you pick your favorite/most enjoyed game vs. its paired counterpart and work your way up. The fun part is guessing the other players winners. The not-so-fun part is doing this on your own time, preparing it for the show and squeezing it into an hour format.

Sarcastic Gamer Brown show did this a ways back and it was a good time - kicked up a lot of memories from past games.

Thanks!!

Wanted to get the CAG crews thoughts on the upcoming game/TV show combo Defiance. Syfy has been showing some behind the scenes stuff and it actually looks promising. (Link to the Defiance YouTube page.)They have some of the writers of Battlestar Galactica on board. Did you get to try the game part at E3 or see the pitch about how the show and games were going to tie-in to each other?

If I remember right, Cheapy got you guys a gamefly sub awhile ago. What are your honest opinions? Also what happened to Shipwreck's reviews? If he needs help, let me know.

So Cheapy, I moved to Peru from the US a year ago & due to a lack of access to my American multi-media stuff I started listening to your podcasts & you guys are great. So thank you. Can you give me any advice for getting more access to American programming, games, etc.? I have US versions of a PS3 (downloadable games are huge for me even though I prefer my 360), a 360, a WiiU (gift for my young kids) & I'm region locked from so many awesome apps. I heard you mention Hulu +. Also, I loved Silent Hill. Did you see Silent Hill 2 & would you recommend it?

I may be wrong but i thought i remember Cheapy saying that he had watched Raid: The Redemption. If so, did you notice how similar the story-lines were?

Now that we basically know the new owners of most of the THQ titles, what are the odds that Vigil will make it through the purge, and that we will see anymore Darksiders in the future? Seems like Saints Row is safe, and at one point it was reported that Vigil was taken up by 2K, but that was later denied...

hey, i was really surprised not to hear you guys talk of this already so, what do you think of the upcoming Free-to-Play, Marvel Heroes , game on pc. From the Diablo style gameplay and the available pre-purchase "Founders Pack" with the single char $20, to the holy shit its $200 Ultimate. What are your views on this, and do you think it will go gangbusters with bringing together the non-age pacific Marvel universe into a Diablo format of gameplay, or will it fizzle out like D3 and DC Universe?

I just watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi based on your recommendation from a while ago. I really, really enjoyed it. Do you have any other suggestions for documentaries that are on Netflix--preferably ones that aren't depressing!

I am listening to old Cagcasts and way back on episode 60-something, Wombat had just gotten a new job, which led him to speak about what some non-gaming industries do to ensure customer retention from product release to product release. This generation of consoles had just come out at the time and he concluded that the gaming industry places very little to no effort on customer retention. As we are approaching the next console generation, do any of you feel that this has changed in any way at all since his original conclusion? Other thoughts on this?

Just read in another thread about a fellow CAG who is okaying with the idea to buy a gun | self-protection.

What is your stance on that?
Do any of you own guns?
I'm imagining that things are different in Japan?

Cheers

Hey there another one! :)

So I've been listening to old episodes lately (150 currently).
Back then you Cheapy talked a lot about Cag 2.0 and how SPJ did a great job on it and how this man (or is he ?) is working his butt off.

Maybe there is a later episode where SPJ is on the show, and all these questions are answered, however I would like to know:

What training did SPJ have?
How does he keep up with current trends in Web Development?
What do I've to do to become as god-like?

The new Tomb Raider limited edition controller is described as:

inspired by Lara’s iconic climbing axe and bandages

Did you know she had an iconic climbing axe?

I heard Major Nelson say this in a video describing the controller and did a triple take. I can't speak for anyone else, but a climbing axe is not what comes to mind when I think of the Lara Croft or the Tomb Raider series.

Source:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/a.../tomb-raider-wireless-controller?uid=20067453

I realize you guys gave really lost interest in Grand Theft Auto, but is the push back to September significant? As in, do you believe they needed more time for it to cook, or agree they shooting for closer to the next-gen launch, if it is coming this fall? (Personally, I'm not sure we will see them this fall on shelves; I'm leaning more towards 2014)

bread's done
Back