CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

What do you think about the new NY law going into effect that out of state online retailers will have to charge tax. No more amazon purchases for me unless they are some great gold box deal.

I just needed a place to vent.

Cheapy
You seem to be kissing Wombat's ass lately. I know there have been a lot of pro-Wonbot comments coming up lately, but it doesn't mean you have to give up your own opinion. It seems like you make an opinion and by the end of the conversation Wombat gets you to passively agree to his opinion. Its not that I like to see you guys fighting, but I'd rather see you keep your own opinions and move on to the next topic as opposed to you just folding to Wombat. Just because he's right a lot of the times, doesn't mean he's always right.

PS, Wombat I agree with Cheapy that you are too hard on the Penny Arcade game that isn't even out yet.

cheapy i was wondering can i still get a green CAG wrist band or is that history? you and wombat need to yell more, sometimes when you disagree it seems to civilized like your in court or something, scream get mad dont hold back.

some words of wisdom for fat people, look on the bright side, its more cushion for the pushin

Hey cheapy and wombat! Having witnessed the splendor of the live cagbag, I have to ask... how do you feel about the quality of the questions(or callers)and conversations you have during live call-ins. Technical issues aside, do you guys have fun with it?...or does it make you want to run screaming back to the controlled and relative safety of the cast. I have to admit the insanity of the chat log was an endless source of amusement.

Hi guys,

I have heard talk about a Magic the Gathering game to XBLA. Have either of you played Magic? Also do you know anything more about this? I am excited at the prospect of playing online but hope it is not as pathetic as the PC game or the horrid Battlegrounds game. IMO they should give everyone the current sets with the cost of the game (let's say 1200 pts) and if people want to buy additional sets they can do so. That would be a better model than charging people 200 MSP for virtual boosters.

Thanks guys,

I tried to join the Live cagcast but it kept saying error. I could hear you but that was all.

Dear Cheapy and Wombat,

I wondered what your thoughts on how gamerscore and getting achievements can effect your fun in enjoying a game. I shamefully have borrowed games such as TMNT and Open Season just for nerd points. For example, I enjoyed Gears of War but part of the multiplayer experience was to try and get the 100 kill achievements and not to play against others. Have you noticed this in your gaming patterns on the 360? I know getting achievements is just another thing to continue the longetivity of a game, but do you think it can affect a gamers wanting to play the actual game and not for nerd points?

Cheapy (and Wombert),

Question - did you ever get any sort of acknowledgment or statement (official/unofficial) regarding your Xbox 360 failure poll? I ask because I sit here packing up my third broken Xbox 360.

I love the console and the games available for it, but never in my gaming life have I had to replace a single console once, let alone the same console multiple times. This is just ridiculously absurd.

I can't find a single person on my friends list these days who still has their original 360, so as far as I am concerned the failure rate is over 100%.

I am not experiencing the RROD this time - this time my 360 just decided to no longer output video. I restarted several times, tried both component and HDMI cables - and switched inputs as well as TV sets - no luck at all.

I would love to hear someone at Microsoft address the CAG poll and see what sort of spin they can put on it.

2441616147_7b458ca7cb.jpg

In the words of David Lopan "now this really pisses me off to no end!"

thanks

-Tengaport

[quote name='Tengaport']Cheapy (and Wombert),

Question - did you ever get any sort of acknowledgment or statement (official/unofficial) regarding your Xbox 360 failure poll? I ask because I sit here packing up my third broken Xbox 360.

thanks

-Tengaport[/quote]

Hey Tengaport, I know how you feel. My 360 RRODed about an hour ago and according to the xbox website, my warranty has expired.

So Cheapy and Wombat do you know any safer alternative of the towel trick to get my 360 running for a few more days. I want to be able to have it working for a bit longer so that I can trade it in and at least get something for my misery. I know it's a bit mean but at the end of the day I am so pissed off that I don't care.

Hey guys, with all this 80's nostalgia running rampant (gi joe movie, transformers, ghostbusters game), what 80s franchise would you like to see resurrected in game form. I guess we can discount knight rider since that's just too obvious. My pick would be the inhumanoids from the cartoon realm and They Live from movies. That film just seemed ripe for a sequel and running around killing aliens as rowdy rod piper seems like a damned good time.

Hey guys:

Do you think that we will ever see legal action against a developer when their downloadable content is simply unlocking something that is already on the disk? It seems like if you pay for a game, you should be able to play anything that's on it. It's the equivalent of buying a car and the dealership locks the trunk and will only open it if you buy their service package.

Hey you guys,

I'd like to hear you revisit your Legend of Frank discussion briefly, but this time instead of the characters changing, the title of game changes. Games with better mechanics like Saint's Row get overlooked without the kind of brand recognition that a game like Grand Theft Auto exploits to sell millions of copies sight-unseen. After seeing the umpteenth Final Fantasy or Need for Speed game reaching the top 10 last year, it is becoming discouraging seeing good original titles being stomped out at retail by these giants of the industry. Since it is now all but proven that game sales and review scores don't correllate, is it only an issue of marketing budgets that push games to the top of the sales charts?

Cheapy, I personally love the Sweet Lolita and Gothic Lolita looks that some of the Japanese girls sport. You must see them time to time walking around Tokyo. What do you think of them and their clothes?

now that we know that the PS3 version is in 640p .... does this mean that Rockstar needs to issue us new 720, 1080 i/p enabled discs? Is this a mistake that can be considered in the same category of mistakes as a mono GHIII (wii) ? {although I can see this being made on purpose}

Do you think that Nintendo feels left out in regards to this GTA money now circulating and perhaps will they take this into account in their next console. (specifically... will their next console be more up to par with other consoles on the market so they don't miss out of multiplatform games. (i.e. Assassins Creed, Call of Duty 4, and now GTA IV).

[quote name='Tengaport']Cheapy (and Wombert),

I love the console and the games available for it, but never in my gaming life have I had to replace a single console once, let alone the same console multiple times. This is just ridiculously absurd.

I can't find a single person on my friends list these days who still has their original 360, so as far as I am concerned the failure rate is over 100%.

I am not experiencing the RROD this time - this time my 360 just decided to no longer output video. I restarted several times, tried both component and HDMI cables - and switched inputs as well as TV sets - no luck at all.

I would love to hear someone at Microsoft address the CAG poll and see what sort of spin they can put on it.

2441616147_7b458ca7cb.jpg

thanks

-Tengaport[/QUOTE]

how about getting a PS3 finally.

Ok, I have a few questions, some more game-related than others....

- Do you guys feel the constant sequels is a detriment to the longevity to games? I remember back around the SNES times, games several years old would still be good sellers. Whipping out an old Nintendo Power, in December '96, 13 SNES games in the top 20 were there for over a year. Five were even there for over 2, and a couple even longer than that! Now it seems that after a a few months, even the best of games will fade into obsurity. And for any traders/resalers, the value of these games plummets after those months, especially after the expected sequel is announced for 10-14 months later.

- Have you guys ever thought about making Cheapy Reviews? Since both of you talk about the whatever games you are playing in the Cast, and the good and bad points, why not make written reviews about the games? Maybe even add more details to things you mention in the show. And maybe avoid giving number reviews so that way nobody doesn't not buy a game because you guys gave it a dreaded (but decent) 7. Or maybe instead of reviewing a new game just because it's new, review a game that is on sale/going on sale soon. If Speedy mentions Game X is going to be cheap next week, I'm sure you guys can convince some unsure buyers to get it... or stay away. Or maybe even pick random games and use your retail relations to get a special CAG sale on a site (GQD maybe) for recently reviewed games.

- To Cheapy: Even though this question may sound insincere, have you ever confused Tai for another baby when you leave him at daycare? There are a lot of non-Asians that tend to have a hard trouble telling Asians apart so I'm just wondering if it ever happened to you.

- To Wonbot: Do you eat healthy/organic food at all? I'm pretty sure there is a Whole Foods store in Manhasset, so do you ever go there?

Since you guys both have PSPs, and because of all the GTA IV hype goin around, I was wondering if either of you had either of the GTAs for the PSP. If so, which do you like better, Vice City Stories, or Liberty City Stories?

Hey guys.

Cheapy, you somewhat frequently reference your love of Singstar, and singing, in general. What is your favorite song to sing, and would you be up to gracing us with your singing prowess? winkwinknudgenudge

Cheapy: You said that there was an amazing dish at the restaurant near you, but you near said what it was. For some reason I'm very curious about this.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat, I bought the PS3 GTA IV bundle at the midnight launch on Tuesday because my 360 red ringed a few days before and with GTA being my only game (it should hold me over for a whiiiiile but anyway) I was wondering what PS3 exclusive titles you guys would recommend.

** I've just bought Uncharted

On cagcast 117 you guys sort of talked about blockbuster. I am a big film fan and have been thinking of signing up for either blockbuster online or netflix. But why hasn't blockbuster or even netflix joined in on online game rentals in your opinion? I think a plan that had maybe 1 game and 2 movies out at a time would get a lot of cags signing up. I might think about it.

question for Wombat: I have a dog named Thor, and I am getting another one soon. Any suggestions on a cool comic book character that would be a good name for a dog? Thanks love the show.

I was thinking about your Super Smash Frank argument a few months ago. You guys were talking about how some franchises bring in good review scores and positive reception based on name recognition. But in the case of Sonic Chronicles, some people are dismissing it simply based on the name and characters. I know that the Sonic franchise has been awful recently, but shouldn't people be giving Bioware a fair chance to try and make it compelling?

Hey Cheapy -

I've been having some problems with my games. I think microsoft should use a different kinda of packaging for their games. The cd holder is a bit clingy and it has been damaging my games. In total it's damaged 4 games most recently GTA4. I was disappointed to see that my brand new game not even a week old is already unreadable. It sucks that I have to fight with the clinginess of the cd holder just to release my game, doing this multiple times causes the game disc to form a small crack in the center part where the disc is being held in the drive/holder. I started a thread about this issue and found that I wasn't alone.

Question: Is there a way we can get a word out to microsoft about this problem? I've tried Customer Service but they are saying it's my fault. Plus I wouldn't call them unless it was a last resort anyways. Please Help!

PS: If this makes the show my screen name is pronounced pop - emo - goth Thanks!

Cheapy and Wombat,
Would you eat a 6 inch turd for $1000? Would you eat a pile of crap the size of a softball every day to save your life?

I've been wondering to myself recently whats the difference between piracy and company's like gamestop selling used games. Obviously piracy is illegal but, one of the biggest complaints about piracy is that the developers lose money because people aren't buying their games. Isn't the used game market having the same effect? I could be wrong but I don't think gamestop is giving any of its profit from the used games back to the developers.

I have a quick question for Wonbot. (I've noticed that if you call Wombat by a funny name you have a better chance of getting your question answered)

How do you pick your winners for all of the contests? Do you just click on a random page of the contest forum and then a random person? Do you have someone pick a random number and that post wins? Does a funny contest response have any better chance of winning than a boring one? And have you ever given the prize to the person that posts first or last?

I have yet to win ANYTHING and so I'm looking for some advice (c'mon... send something my way!)

Thanks SUCKAZ!

P.s. Poop.

WeapyD and Chombat.
Why oh why is the 360 so half assed on EVERYTHING? It's been a whole 2 years about now and why do we still have consoles getting red ringed? Why do we get half assed Xbox Live games that cost a fortune? Why do we have to buy games (Such as Beautiful Katamari) only to buy it again in DLC? Why does Xbox Live still have problems that causes it to be down for days without any compensation? Why are we nickel and dimed for everything (I have to pay for a Gamerpic?) Why is it every time I decide to play online all I get is a bunch of pubescent boys that think they are hot shit in my Mature games? How come games still don't require a harddrive?! Why is Xbox Live plastered with Ads even though I am paying 50 dollars a month and for all the content I access? Why is Microsoft STILL sucking balls in every other country? Why is my only choice of accessing HD Movies on my 360 is either buying a dead HDDVD drive or waiting a day or two to download? Why wont they let me hide achievements because I don't want be in a contest with every game I play (sometimes when I don't like a game, I don't want to play it. And having 25/1000 points on PDZ is just annoying) I see a trend here, and it makes it worse because I don't even have the option to be able to access all my Xbox1 games, because it isn't 100% compatible! Why am I forced to buy MICROSOFT Harddrive to play games(No other cheap options?) ? And I can't even use a USB harddrive to transfer saves... Why is cheapy such a 360 fanboy? Why do I type in one giant block of text? And why is wombat so awesome?

Cheapy, back on episode 72 or so, you guys received a question asking if your expectations were met with the Wii, 360, and PS3, back then you said no for all of them I believe. Have your answers been changed since then?

This might have been asked before, but I'll ask again: would either Cheapy or Wombat consider doing a non-gaming related podcast, like once a month? For example, I'd be interested in a comic book or movie edition of the cagcast for your thoughts on the latest in those areas. How about a video podcast of Cheapy's "Your Man In Japan" segment? Or how about more "Day in the Life of" youtubes where you chronicle your balancing family life with your gaming "jobs"?

Hey cheapy, quick cagbag question here.
When was this photo of you and Wombat taken.
cagsleepywombats.jpg

Love the show. JAKE HOSS

What's up, guys?

Since this is Cheap Ass Gamer, and we all try and make the smartest purchases,
What gaming-related purchase do you look back on in your life that makes you say; "DAMN, THAT WAS THE BIGGEST WASTE OF MY SHAQ-FU'IN MONEY EVER!"

Personally,...I'd have to say the Sega Cd was mine (At full $250 price tag)....ugggggghhhh SEWER SHARK,.....

Hey Chee-P and 1bot (lol), Who are your 3 favourite ever CAGs?

( I have a feeling that Thorbaun3 and FriskyTanuki might pop up lol.)

Wombat,

I just noticed on IGN that they have started reviewing comics. The reviews only go back to April 30 and there's not a whole lot of them yet, but what do you think of the reviews? Are they crap or are they actually reviews that should be taken semi-seriously? I ask because I have never really been a comics guy and listening to you speak of them on the cagcast has sort of gotten me interested.

http://comics.ign.com/index/reviews.html

Originally posted in the wrong place (last show discussion):

Cheapy, what do you think about the 630p resolution issue on PS3 vs 720p on 360 vis-a-vis geometry rendering complaints with the 360 at the higher 720p resolution.

Not trying to fan any flame-wars, but I remember there was much hoopla over a similar issue with HALO 3. However, unlike the HALO3- this is now a cross-platform issue.

Source: http://kotaku.com/385237/gta-iv-runs...hats-that-mean

Question 1

With the impending death of E3*. One thing I've heard video game reporters say is that it's actually better for their constituents (us the readers) because at E3 they're rushed and don't get the chance to make in depth coverage of the games. They say this contrast what they commonly hear from readers who like E3 because it's one time of the year when they get a ton of news at once. I've given it some thought and I agree with the readers.

I'm sure during E3 any single company will be rushed to get as much coverage as they can, but I think if we look at the universal coverage an event like E3 gets if IGN doesn't cover game A then Gamespot will. If X-Play barely looks at game B then Kotaku will. My point being that the overlap of many sources covers the deficiencies of any one source, in the end yielding a massive wealth of information to simple gamers like myself (which is why I'm sad to see the event die). Would you agree or disagree?

*after last year's lackluster performance and this year's lack of support I think we can agree on that.

[quote name='homeland']I've been wondering to myself recently whats the difference between piracy and company's like gamestop selling used games. Obviously piracy is illegal but, one of the biggest complaints about piracy is that the developers lose money because people aren't buying their games. Isn't the used game market having the same effect? I could be wrong but I don't think gamestop is giving any of its profit from the used games back to the developers.[/quote]
well I'm not sure if you're trying to have CheapyD and Wombat answer or if you really don't know but you should be aware that in the eyes of the game companies there is no difference. They are keenly opposed to the used game market and are very much aware of how much potential money they lose. It was a big deal a while back. At times it was given primary blame for the rising costs of games. There were rumors before launch that the PS3 wouldn't allow you to play the games on more than one console effectively eliminating the used game market. It's very hard to find these articles because googling used games gets a lot of noise but I was able to find of the primary articles that claimed used games were bad for the industry.

Gamestop is a glorified pawn show (link)
Used games market takes money from developers (link)
PS3 won't play used games. (Link)
Developers don't like used games (Link)

Of course I should point out that these people don't speak for everyone. Even in the industry there are those who are ambivalent or agnostic towards the used game market.

Do Developers buy used games? (Link)

Personally this isn't japan I don't trust people to turn in games decently to gamestop. I'll buy a used game from a person from time to time but I avoid gamestop like the plague. As much as I distaste digital distribution for full games I can easily see it as the 'solution' to the used game market and that's all fine and dandy in theory but in practice I see it turning out disastrous

Xbox DRM kills experience (link)

Question 2

With regards to Mortal Kombat vs DC I'd like to propose a question primarily to Wombat. One of the major concerns 'fans' have is how can any of the characters from Mortal Kombat face Superman without some sort of krptonite weaponry. Am I the only one who isn't this focused on canon accuracy? This isn't like Yoda being too short to hit in Soul Calibur. Would there be any point to the game if you couldn't fight Superman? Do people understand that these are games and if you put too much 'realism' in games they fail? Technically Sub-Zero shouldn't be able to freeze the Flash but the game is pointless otherwise. I read an article about this company that was developing a 16th century MMO and went all out making it historically accurate and the game ended up being no fun. Noone wanted to hammer horseshoes in a game. Noone likes farming for gold. Noone enjoys attacking rats because they're too weak to go after some real beasties. It seems to me that gamers like to nit pick over games not being realistic and them complain about games being boringly so.

Hey cheapy and wombat,

What are your thoughts about exclusive content that is only available for pre-ordering at a specific store, usually gamestop? These include additional weapons in army of two, the red hulk in the upcoming hulk game. I think it is worse than paying to unlock content on a disc. At least with that can be obtained later on. This method prevents you from ever having it at a later date.

usually not. as far as I can tell I haven't seen an unlockable that was exclusive to bonus excepting maybe some WOW mounts. All these exclusive downloads you can get thru other means. Rainbow Six Vegas had some unlockable that was free at BestBuy but you could just earn it in the game for free.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat! Hope you have enjoyed your sorta vacations from the show.

Here is a question that has been a little bit of discussion in the weekly Gamestop / EB thread. Why are the vast majority of DS and to a lesser extent PSP games, cart or UMD only in their used selection? Most CAGs are looking for complete DS and PSP games. My theory is that most of these games are stolen and traded in for cash instead of store credit. I don't see how you could hang onto that little DS cart, but loose the case, cover, and manual. Its not unusual for me to see things that are cart only, and only be a few weeks old.

I think GS/EB should start only accepting complete trade ins, or at the very least make complete a requirement for trading in for cash, thus eliminating a legal fence for theives. I won't buy an incomplete title because I really think I would be supporting theft.

What are your thoughts?

The Wii is my only current-gen system. I've been holding off on getting a 360 for over a year now due to reliability issues, but there are so many games that I want to play now — Portal, Rock Band, Mass Effect, GTA4, BioShock, CoD4, and downloadable games like Ikaruga and Rez HD. I'm moving to a new apartment soon, and will of course be putting together a new living room entertainment setup, so it seems like a natural time to add a new box to my console family. But I'm still imagining how pissed I'd get if/when the system that just cost me hundreds of dollars died on me, and I had to send it to Mexico for 2 months and deal with all sorts of nonsense with lost accounts and whatever else that involves. Do you recommend that I continue holding off and hope that the rumored Jasper chipset's shrunken GPU solves these problems, or do you think the extra months of gameplay are worth the risk of just buying a Falcon console now?

Also, IF the falcon console is released later in the year like some people are predicting, do you think there's any likelihood of a price drop to go along with it?

Cheapy, what delicious US foods did you eat during your vacation?

Wombat, how excited are you about the NY CAG gathering this weekend?

CHeapy, Wombat, what do you guys think about MMOs on consoles, specifically PS3. Do you ever see World of Warcraft being played via PS3, or perhaps a starcraft (or similar type games). Keep in mind you can still use your mouse and keyboard.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

Do you think there are any games with online multiplayer that over-reach with what they're offering?

While playing Grand Theft Auto 4 in Free Mode with friends, a great time was had by all, but when playing against random people (even with friends) it was no fun at all. I feel they should've just left it at the Open City Free Mode and maybe put in a replay feature.

bread's done
Back