CAGcast #107: Caring and Sharing

[quote name='JadedJedi']OK, here's some of my comments. CheapyD that was the fakiest nice you've ever been to Wombat. It was so fake, it was mean. But in a way Wombat deserved it today. HOW DARE YOU MAKE FUN OF LORD VADER!!!!!!! George Lucas is my God, and he chose Hayden Christianson to play Anakin Skywaker, so who are you to say that God is wrong! You're just jealous that you didn't get picked to play Anakin. The Lucasfilm costume department would be pissed if you split those pants. Remeber an actor is only as good as the director, and even I agree the movies would have been better if Steven Speilberg directed them.[/QUOTE]

While I hope you're joking, Hayden Christensen is horrible in other movies as well, like Shattered Glass. That guy is more wooden than Mokujin

[quote name='nadsofed']Patsy's is way overrated. Two boots is good, the best pizza is Grimbaldi's in Brooklyn and Totonno's (multiple locations) is better than Patsy's if your staying in Manhattan.[/QUOTE]

The original Patsy's on E 116th is good, but a bit of a stretch for tourists to get to. The others are all name-only licensees who aren't worth going to. The best pizza is in Brooklyn... Totonno's in Coney Island (though there's one in Manhattan), Grimaldi's by the Brooklyn Bridge, and Di Fara in Midwood. In Manhattan, there's also Lombardi's on Spring St, and John's on Bleeker.

[quote name='Cursor']Yeah, I think the encoding is fucked up so that it doesn't work on Zunes. I am able to play it through the PC side client, but man if messes up my Zune.

Cheapy, can you look into this?[/quote]

It works fine on my $89 Zune30. :D

[quote name='dsingh2007']It works fine on my $89 Zune30. :D[/quote]

Well it doesn't work on my Halo 3 30GB Zune. I'm going to delete and redownload.

[quote name='Milkyman']While I hope you're joking, Hayden Christensen is horrible in other movies as well, like Shattered Glass. That guy is more wooden than Mokujin[/quote]
The guy is getting work, so somebody must like him.

[quote name='franz ferdinand']The original Patsy's on E 116th is good, but a bit of a stretch for tourists to get to. The others are all name-only licensees who aren't worth going to. [/quote]

Whatever, I ate at their 34th st location every week for 7 years. I'd argue it's worth going to. Most every person I took there said it was the best pizza they ever had.
http://www.patsyspizzeriany.com/

lg_2319_1.jpg

[quote name='Septic_Soldier']Lol, just when I thought CheapyD would shrugh Hilary's comment off and move on with the show, he pulls out the pwnage mobile and fucking lays the name card OUT! We were all thinking it, Cheapy... we were all thinking it.

Nice one.[/quote]

You said you were a class act (and sounded like one), then you made fun of his name? That's a contradiction. Actually, I can see it's the act of a cold hard attention whore.

Nice one.

Actually, Hilary's comments about CheapyD and that clip pretty much exemplify why I don't listen to other video gaming podcasts (aside from Game Theory, which is alot of wanking, but pretty good)- random stammering voices (and way too many of them to keep track of), lack of actual facts and research (what was that? who was that? when was that? nobody seems to know anything), poor production values, and annoying 20-something gamers. It was pathetic. Here we have a nobody saying he doesn't know who CheapyD is, as though who these pocasters know has any significance.

San Dimas High School football rules! I mean, Cagcast rules!

Not sure what show you guys were listening to, but I certainly did not make fun of Hilary's name.
If I said the Jews had a tough time during the Holocaust, am I making fun of Jews?

You guys are trouble makers!

[quote name='CheapyD']Not sure what show you guys were listening to, but I certainly did not make fun of Hilary's name.
If I said the Jews had a tough time during the Holocaust, am I making fun of Jews?

You guys are trouble makers![/quote]Even Hillary's own co-workers brought up what you did about his name. Some people are just looking for something to bitch about. Go on their podcast and flame a bit. Appease the war-mongers.

BTW have you other folks listened to a bulk of the IGN TRL Podcasts? That's the tone of the show. It's absolutely ridiculous to be taking that one excerpt without the context of how their other shows go. You can take an excerpt of Cheapy's poop stories or him belittling Wombat (jokingly), play it to someone who hasn't heard the rest of the CAGcasts and come away with the impression that the show is nothing but completely immature and that Cheapy is a jackass. We all know that's not true. Most of the time.;)

Hey Cheapy and Wombat! Long time listener, first time poster!

I just thought I should send some love out to Wombat. He seemed really bummed this episode, and I thought it was pretty apparent that Cheapy was trying really hard to cheer him up. Mrs. Wombat, I don't know if you read these, but I hope that when you listen to this podcast, you can forgive Cheapy, because it seems like he's actually a good friend and really cares about Wombat. Besides, in this crazy world where Vagina Clowns can still be friends with Wombat, can't Nothings be friends with Cheapy D?

Wombat, you're the best! Don't let the Womhaters get you down! The CAGcast wouldn't be the same without you!

I think CheapyD's jabs at Wombat are a direct influence of him listening to the Howard Stern show. Everyone on that show busts each other's balls, but it's all in good fun.

Anyways, another great episode.

[quote name='CheapyD']Not sure what show you guys were listening to, but I certainly did not make fun of Hilary's name.

You guys are trouble makers![/QUOTE]

" a guy with the name Hilary must have had a rough life" basically implying that he's overly defensive because he's always been on the defense due to him having a girl's name. LOL You didn't make fun of his name. But for some reason you got everyone to laugh at it. The art of joking... without joking... nice one Cheapy

[quote name='CheapyD']Whatever, I ate at their 34th st location every week for 7 years. I'd argue it's worth going to. Most every person I took there said it was the best pizza they ever had.

lg_2319_1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestions guys....I will check those places out for sure....I'll be sure to report back on how good patsys pizza is

[quote name='nadsofed']Patsy's is way overrated. Two boots is good, the best pizza is Grimbaldi's in Brooklyn and Totonno's (multiple locations) is better than Patsy's if your staying in Manhattan.[/QUOTE]

Cool, we plan on going to Grimbaldi's...Think the wife saw it on the food network or something

Oh and speaking of video game related locations in NYC, I was surprised you guys didn't mention the Nintendo World Store. It has some great things to see like the original Nintendo prototype and the GB that survived the gulf war.

Hey Cheapy,

I think you should totally go onto the IGN podcast and PRETEND that you are a fanboy, and that you really care about all that junk. then at the end, tell um what you really think :p. I dunno, just an idea.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Well it doesn't work on my Halo 3 30GB Zune. I'm going to delete and redownload.[/quote]

OK I deleted my old one from my hard drive completely and redownloaded, and it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/516505.asp
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/kameoelementsofpower?q=Kameo

Kameo's GameRankings Score is 81 and Meta Critic is 79.. so I don't really know how you can say it was "critically panned."

And Wombat, That line about Hayden Christiansen can never be considered Darth Vader was one of the most brilliant and awesome lines ever.

And Cheapy, instead of not saying what you want to say, just put a disclaimer at the beginning of every episode "This podcast is not for the easily offended, light hearted, or the Politically Correct."

Always love the CAGcast. That said, I cringed a little when it went into the "Black Pirates" joking. Perhaps lay off the racial stuff? It may get in the way of any future sponsorship, and detracts from an otherwise awesome podcast.

[quote name='nicholas01']Always love the CAGcast. That said, I cringed a little when it went into the "Black Pirates" joking. Perhaps lay off the racial stuff? It may get in the way of any future sponsorship, and detracts from an otherwise awesome podcast.[/quote]
If that offended you than you should never ever listen to the big ass chains episode. Cheapy says n**ga like twenty times. Funny to me but for the easily offended I'm sure it would be horrific...

Hey guys, great podcast. I guess I can comment on the PS3 sales beating out 360 last month. Microsofts "supply" issue statement is actually accurate, I work at one of the busiest stores in Arizona and the supply has been horrible. After christmas we got boat loads of PS3s in, but maybe 2 360s in each week. Customers couldn't find 360s so a lot of them just settled on the PS3, which isn't a horrible choice. However, just this last week have started to recieve more and more 360s and they are selling very fast, and my PS3s are now just sitting there again. And for the Wiis they are in every week and gone in nearly 30 minutes, and we still have about 50 phone calls every single day asking for them.

Wombat is my hero.

You guys are trouble makers![/quote]

the world makes fun of his name O:)

Anyone with a Zune actually able to listen on a Zune? All my other 25 podcasts work on it so it seems to only be an issue with this CAGCast.

I've listened to the last 7 or so on this Zune with no problems until now.

Worked fine on my Zune; I can't imagine what the problem is. I have a new 80gb.

Wait, so now CheapyD is biased against Holocaust survivors? They've been beaten down in life more than Sony, even! Why the hate?

Hmmm... That 107a version worked for me. I'm not sure what the issue is, Cheapy. To verify, I re-downloaded the original version and it sitll locks up on my Zune 30 (black, $99.99 from woot.com). As someone else said, I subscribe heavily to podcasts (50+) and have never had this problem before. My guess is that you've got something going on that doesn't play well with Zunes--let me know if I can help you to verify the issue.

Thanks for another entertaining podcast.

Re: 16% repair rates
I agree that the 16% repair rate number seems rather low.

Here is how I tried to justify my gut feeling:

Microsoft announced that it would take an additional 1.05 to 1.15 Billion dollar charge on repairing the RROD issue in July 2007. http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2007/jul07/07-05WarrantyExtentionPR.mspx Note this is IN ADDITION to what MS expected to pay for in normal waranty repairs. This number should be quite accurate since it is reflected in their financial filings for the SEC.
Also note that SEC accounting rules state that reported income and charges can only be taken for shipped items, so the charge is only for 360's already shipped by the end of June, the end of MSFT's fiscal year.

In Sept 2007, Microsoft claimed that 11.6 million 360's were sold by the end of June. http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7224&Itemid=2

So 1.15 Billion dollars / 11.6 million units = $99 per 360 sold at the time of the announcment.

Since Microsoft was charging $129 at the time to fix out of warranty, that would be a good value to gauge how much each repair costs. (I highly doubt that Microsoft would take a loss on out of warranty repairs.)
So $1.15 billion / $129 per repair = 8914729 units

So using the June 2007 figures of 11.6 million 360's sold, that would mean 77% of the units are expected in for repairs.

The 16% failure rate just doesn't add up, unless it only reflects the newer CPU Shrink falcon 360's.

I agree with you there, bbf. The math just doesn't add up! Why would they allocate any more money than they had to to fix this, if it was only a detriment to them? Wouldn't make any financial sense to their investors. I'm sure this means that it's much higher than 16%, and more like 100% rate of possible failures, since the design is inherently flawed. They could end up repairing all of them, which is what the cost would cover.

Also, in defense of the overhead cost of 1up.com, they also run two magazines in that office, and there is a lot of cross-usage of reviews and such. Same employees, as well. In that respect, they are not making money only on their web site, but through other businesses as well. Although, I don't think they're doing very well financially. They've been on the chopping block many times (the Ziff-Davis games division). They do, however, have an amazing podcast lineup this week between GFW and 1upYours from GDC, with tons of great guests (including Warren Spector, my hero since I used to play his RPG's from Steve Jackson Games).

[quote name='CheapyD']Whatever, I ate at their 34th st location every week for 7 years. I'd argue it's worth going to. Most every person I took there said it was the best pizza they ever had.

lg_2319_1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice there Cheapy, the gf and I are heading to NYC for Spring Break in 2 weeks. We'll be sure to check this out.

[quote name='Cursor']Hmmm... That 107a version worked for me. I'm not sure what the issue is, Cheapy. To verify, I re-downloaded the original version and it sitll locks up on my Zune 30 (black, $99.99 from woot.com). As someone else said, I subscribe heavily to podcasts (50+) and have never had this problem before. My guess is that you've got something going on that doesn't play well with Zunes--let me know if I can help you to verify the issue.[/quote]
Very odd...I don't believe I did anything different this time around.

[quote name='CheapyD']Very odd...I don't believe I did anything different this time around.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's the Mac you're using? We all know that Zune's aren't compatible with Macs so maybe there's some proprietary encoding that's preventing it from being read on the Zune's software?

Well it took a total of 5 delete/redownloads but this CAGCast finally worked for me on my Halo 3 Zune.

I think since Cheapy just uploaded the new file late Saturday night, it took the RSS feed a while to update. I did the delete/redownload for the 5th time last night and tried it today and it worked. Thanks to all who helped.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat, I've already posted something like this on the CAGbag but I wanted to know your opinion.

What do you think of this design of the DS. It's a fake but it's still worth your opinion.

nintendo_ds_2.jpg

Thanks guys, hope to hear a reply.

Can we get through one episode without mentioning Apache Chief? PLEASE?

Cheapy - I also remember going to the arcade at Penn station. Yes, it was shady as hell. I loved bringing my long island MKII or SFII skills to the city and see how they stack up (usually pretty good!). I also recall that there was massive EMI on the game monitors due to them being stacked so close to each other. Therefore while every game played ok, the colors were a fruity rainbow of fruit flavor!

[quote name='CheapyD']Very odd...I don't believe I did anything different this time around.[/quote]

It is, you're right. I just can't understand why it's only happening with the CAGcast and not with other audio (or video) podcasts. I listen to other podcasts that are enigneered on a Mac and they don't do this...

Well here't to hoping that the next CAGcast doesn't kill my Zune...

Thanks for working with us to try to fix it... even if we didn't.

Grimaldi's Pizzeria is my favorite in New York as a whole but no slices. Two Boots is cool for different toppings. Lombardi's is the best in Manhattan.Joe's Pizza at Bleecker is good in the Village. Patsy's is not my favorite.

Wombat I see what you were doing with your allusions towards our discussion about Game scores.It was subtle yet there. WEll if you check Newsweek's Level Up Blog. Dan Hsu speeaks on the subject and he ends our discussion thusly:

What was the reasoning behind the switch to letter grades for reviews? Are you concerned that gamers who've been accustomed to numerical scores, which are widely deployed across multiple outlets including the now-industry standard Metacritic and Gamerankings scores, will be confused or put off by your new system?
We switched to letter grades because we felt that it'd be more universally understood than our previous numeric scale. You see, in the past, we insisted on using the entire 0-10 range, with 5 being in the middle, rather than an "8-10 is good, everything below that is bad" scale most other outlets seem to use. But just because we insisted on it didn't mean all our readers bought into it. So while a 7 meant "not bad, still good" to us, it looked like it was on the verge of failing to some in our audience. We tried it for a few years and decided it wasn't working, so we switched to a letter-grading scale that we knew would be crystal clear to everyone.
The press release states that all previous reviews will be converted from numerical scores to letter grades; can you share with us the conversion chart, i.e. which letter grades will correspond to which review scores on a ten-point scale?
We're not publicizing the conversion scale because we want our readers to go with our new scoring system and not be constantly translating the new letters back to our old scores. We also don't want our reviewers to be thinking about how they translate. It's just easier for us to have everyone move forward and accept the new ratings. But most people can figure it out. Our old "average" in the 5 range roughly translates to the C letter grades (with plusses and minuses), for example.

I think you hit the nail on the head in this show Cheapy when you said “People listen to the show to hear what I have to say.” I just finished a marathon session of several missed CAGcasts in a row and it seems like every show now begins with the obligatory “20-minutes of Cheapy defending his stance on some arbitrary topic.” Unless you have been horribly misrepresented and received an incredible amount of backlash from the community, I think you should forgo the constant backpeddling and tell the naysayers to just deal with it. You shouldn't have to defend yourself all the time when they are the ones tuning in to hear your opinions.

Finally listened to this, and really only one thing. Wombat-Missions in DMC4 do not take an hour, they're more around 20mins. There really is no need for a save point in a mission.

[quote name='whoknows']Finally listened to this, and really only one thing. Wombat-Missions in DMC4 do not take an hour, they're more around 20mins. There really is no need for a save point in a mission.[/quote]

Are you playing it on Human mode?

bread's done
Back