CAGcast #196: A Piece of Junket

Just watched the first five parts of The Time Belt. When can we expect the blu-ray release? And hopefully a collector's edition with full size, replica time belt!

Next podcast, cheapy gets a Brazilian wax!! Any live shows coming soon? and cant wait for episode #200! oh yea, i know we all haven't forgotten!

Great show gentlemen.

I really think Joystiq is full of shit on this one. Stop being a bunch of little bitches and take the goddamn trip! Jesus motherfucking Christ.
Oh, we don't do it because the public ends up paying for it...personally, I wouldn't feel any differently about the fine folks at Joystiq if anyone of them decided to accept the trip to Hawaii. Hell, I'd actually be happy for them.

One of the best episodes in a long, long time. Justin's guest spot was money. I was crying laughing at his Ebert joke.

I was a bit surprised at all of the discussion on press junkets. I do agree that there's more than likely some ulterior motives when it comes to game companies flying out journalists on their dime, but it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. As was previously mentioned, Jeff Gerstmann talked about it a bit on this week's Bombcast and he made it sound like a fairly ordinary time. It was mostly work, with a lot of time spent in an ordinary hotel room (save for the supposedly good view).

Just my two cents, fantatic episode none-the-less. Joystiq and CAG make for quite the dynamic duo.

Hey does anyone else have problems with the contest page? The wish list wednesday has disappeared and the new contest cheapy mentioned has yet to appear

Justin was awesome, I wish you guys could include him in the show for good and have an awesome foursomecast

Great Cagcast as usual, and the guest was pretty funny. Laughed out loud when you recollected the tape incident and it "not being traumatizing at all", I can imagine being in that situation

Sorry but I am not buying the "consumers end up paying for it line" in the sense that a press junket increases costs more than any other PR. The fact is, consumers "pay" for every ad on Joystiq whether the game company is giving out Hawaii trips or not.

Furthermore I find Justin's pretentious attitude a bit laughable considering he writes for a video game blog. Which, to be honest, isn't exactly the pinnacle of journalism. Joystiq is guilty as anyone of posting a lot of shit that is pretty stupid just to fill a page (and I say this as someone who reads the site damn near every day). Not to mention Captain Mooch (Wombat) being put off by it as well.

[quote name='chililili']Hey does anyone else have problems with the contest page? The wish list wednesday has disappeared and the new contest cheapy mentioned has yet to appear[/QUOTE]
It will be up soon. I'll make a post on the front page when it's live. If you have a game in your collection, you will automatically be entered.

There are worse blogs out there. Like Kotaku and Destructoid. Joystiq's better, but all of them need to ask some ballsy questions for once.

[quote name='KingBroly']There are worse blogs out there. Like Kotaku and Destructoid. Joystiq's better, but all of them need to ask some ballsy questions for once.[/QUOTE]

They never will. I brought up the same thing on a couple episodes ago in regards to an interview Joystiq did with that clown Aaron Greenberg. They're all a bunch of pussies. They wouldn't want to interrupt the flow of free games and trips around the world.

Justin was a fantastic addition to the show. Justin should definitely be on the CAGcast more often; not only was he hilarious, but the chemistry between Cheapy, Wombat, and Justin was amazing. This was definitely the funniest and most enjoyable CAGcast that I have listened to for a long while now.

Hey Cheaps, you don't need to live in Japan to filter the douche bags American media throws at the public. I didn't know who the fock Justin Bieber was till Wombat mentioned him on the show. It is possible to keep people like "the Situation" out of your consciousness living in the US. The new Shipwreck was funny, I'd almost listen to the joystick podcast.. almost. Btw, the guy who lost the iphone4 should be fired, but all this publicity could be a boon for Apple.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']God DAMNIT! I cant stand that fucking Justin's voice or attitude. He is the reason I don't listen to the Joystiq podcast. Why the hell is he ruining my otherwise wonderful CAGCast. Do you feel like you absolutely HAVE TO HAVE 3 people now?[/QUOTE]

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY! I cant believe people enjoyed him!? SO fucking annoying.

This is the first time I've wanted to stop listening :bomb:

Great show, as usual. Justin 's comments were pretty fun to listen to, so I might check his stuff out. Now, here's a load of shit I just wrote because i can't sleep and I'm still listening to the show.

It's interesting to listen to your perspectives on Capcom's Captivate event. I'm not going to lie, I'm a huge Capcom fan, and I drool over anything that has the Street Fighter logo slapped into it. However, that junket seems like those "listening parties" that record labels throw every now and then where they have free booze and food, maybe some cute models, and an Q&A with the artist or whatever. It definitely influences a writer or reviewer when he or she has to write or talk about a certain release, especially if they've been exposed to a game/movie/album/etc in a controlled environment like that. Of course, none of those games will be released anytime soon, but when the time comes when any of the writers who were at the event get their review copies of those games, we'll have to see how biased those articles could come out. You guys nailed it right when you just spoke your minds about how this Hawaiian vacation could affect future reviews of those games instead of just talking out of your asses and vilifying all these bloggers and writers for "being sellouts" (which is completely wrong). In the end, we'll just have to wait and see how each and every one of those games come out, but it's hard to keep your expectations low when you're exposed to such massive amounts of hype and/or being treated in such generous ways.

Also, most of us are getting stoked over nothing. I'm not saying I'm not stoked about Marvel vs Capcom 3 (although it's the only game I care about from all the games announced), and I'm guilty of falling for the ridiculous hype behind the new teaser trailer, but just like Wombat said, I got stoked over air, because there's no gameplay footage, no demo, nothing, just a very raw cg trailer. Sure, it's exciting for us fighting game fans, and it's definitely great to finally have something other than a crappy Mugen game, but when you put it in perspective, do we even know if there's going to be any actual footage of the game, or even a demo running on the floor at E3 this year? Of course, they say it's going to run on an advanced version of the Resident Evil 5/Lost Planet 2 engine (which will probably look better than Super Street Fighter IV), but it's being developed by the same people who did the Tatsunoko vs Capcom game (which was released for the Nintendo Wii), so that could pose as a challenge for those developers, especially if this is their first time working with a more "complex" graphics and gameplay engine. We could speculate and say it's going to be even more dumbed down than Marvel vs Capcom 2 to the point you wouldn't even have to time your attacks correctly to do one of those infinite juggles, or that it's going to look like ass and play horribly because they will try to cram so many characters on a game that's being developed with an engine that does not even come from a fighting game (although they seem to be working with TvC's mechanics just by looking at Ryu's Shinku Hadouken on the teaser), but we'll have to keep our fingers crossed and hope the game will be fun and addictive as it should be.

Last thing. The only good thing James Gunn has ever done was impersonating Stephen Hawkings in Toxic Avenger IV: Citizen Toxie.

[quote name='paintball745']Don't forget guys this one is in video to but it's an i-tunes exclusive so go to i-tunes and search cagcast video cast.[/QUOTE] Thanks for the heads up!

orson welles is the shit. his frozen peas commercial is better though.

also, replace justin with parry gripp and you've got yourself a show.

If Movies/Music/Books and some of the rightly horrible crap thy have in museums can be considered art..... Then yes Video games can be and are in fact art.

One of the big arguments I have seen is that they arn't because Art is done for art sake and not to turn a profit ...... which is flat out bullcrap. Artists create art because its what they enjoy but they are sure as hell going to profit off their art at every possible opportunity. So based on the argument that art is done for arts sake ...... there is no such thing as art.

In summation either Video games are in fact art or there is no such thing as Art.
Now unfortunately classifying anything as Art is subjective and its also forced to include the horrible, bland, craptacular slag that is bilged that one might find personally devoid of artistic quality.

However there are things that will never be "Art" even if they fall within a genera that is accepted as containing works that can be considered "Art". There are horribly bad paintings, sculptures, books and movies that I would consider landfill before I would art and the same goes for works of videogame, that said you cant simply dismiss an entire medium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best line of the show is from Justin. "Ebert bit off more than he can chew." HAHAHA.

I glanced over the Gameinformer Bulletstorm article and really couldn't get over the generic name. Hearing you guys say the title outloud reminded me how ridiculous it is, like that episode of the Simpsons where they have generic names for all the games: Bloodstorm, Bonesquad, Bloodstorm 2, Bonestorm.

Great show as always guys. One thing:

The Capcom event...All types of companies do stupid shit for PR purposes...probably the best thing any one of the outlets going could do is go and then have someone on their team who didn't go to the event review the final product so there is no bias come review time. I think this is what 1UP used to do or still does. I doubt we'll ever see the end of stuff like this like free trips, celebrities getting free shit, product placement, etc. etc.

I do tend to agree though that in this day and age these events seem kind of pointless especially with how fast gaming news travels and all the sites having pretty much the same coverage, trailers, etc.

when ever I'm listening, I try to remember the funny/stupid parts so I can comment...however I usually forget the bulk of them.

I was initially disappointed that shipwreck would not be on this cast but Justin did a pretty nice job. His comments and natural humor meshed well with wombat's "humor". the only minor criticism is that Justin should speak slowly since his voice starts to lisp.

I'm going to side with the people who can't stand McElroy. I'm a long time fan of the cagcast, Cheapy, and never had any complaints before. Please don't have him on ever again. His personality, his voice and his laugh are all incredibly obnoxious and irritating.

Man, what's with all the Justin hate? Can't you see that he's the best thing to happen to this podcast? All Cheapy ever talks about is his poop, kids, and Japan. Wombat actually recommended the tv show Bones. BONES!!!

Face it, without Justin, it would have been just another cagcast which is video game site podcast with two dudes talking about things mortgages, groceries, and weather. Sorry to hate to two VERY nice guys who run an AWESOME site that I love. But their normal podcast is just not doing this site any favors. A guy like Justin is just what the doctor ordered.

Good episode. Justin brought up some excellent points, but I definitely missed Shipwreck. I've grown to love the dynamic trio.

And next time Justin is on the show, please tell him to back up about 4 ft from the mic whenever he laughs. I can't afford new car speakers.

[quote name='Wingwright']Good episode. Justin brought up some excellent points, but I definitely missed Shipwreck. I've grown to love the dynamic trio.

And next time Justin is on the show, please tell him to back up about 4 ft from the mic whenever he laughs. I can't afford new car speakers.[/QUOTE]

I agree that Boatcrash was missed. But, McElroy was a good addition this week. I've listened to every episode of the CAGcast and the Joystiq podcast. Justin is the heart and soul of that podcast. The other two can be replaced anytime. Unlike the CAGcast, where Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck all make the show great.

I'm going to agree with some others around here. I liked Justin on the show, but his voice was a bit tough to get through. Was it just a bad connection from him and/or lower quality? Or are we so spoiled with the great voices and quality from Cheapy and Wombat?

For me, this episode was the DREAM TEAM. I laughed myself stupid out of excitement and genuine hilarity. I can appreciate the CAG purists, but - respectfully - they're wrong. McElroy is great, and I look forward to other gaming personalities joining the CAGCast from time to time to team up with our favorites, Cheapy and Wombat.

Gideon

I wouldn't say he raped my ears, but he did get them very drunk and had really rough sex with them.

jk

Excellent podcast guys.

[quote name='lokizz']yeah the karate kid 2 truth is a harsh pill to swallow. on top of that the little castle never existed but the place where daniel almsot got impaled is still around.[/QUOTE]

That little fact ruined my day. Ignorance is bliss! It was almost as bad as when I found out Mavis Beacon isn't a real person. My whole childhood is being destroyed! Next someone will say there is no Oregon Trail! :bomb:

[quote name='bigloser']Yo, Cheapy, are you no longer uploading the episodes to the Zune Marketplace?

The last two episodes haven't been on there...[/QUOTE]

Yes they have... I've been downloading them just fine.

Not only did I laugh my ass off this show, but you guys talked about my CAG drinking game AND made up a new rule allowing me to substitute weed while I'm driving. Awesome! You guys are great. Terrific show. Justin was a perfect guest. For all those talking shit about him.... go fuck yourself.

bread's done
Back