CAGFC (UFC 2010 League) - 9/25/10 - CAGFC25: MELTDOWN (fights due by 9/30)

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, for that, I just think they have the wrong people testing the game. But I do think that's a problem that spans many genres. Whether it's a shooter, a racing game, etc. For whatever reason, testing doesn't seem to go beyond playing the AI. If they would consider playing against a human opponent and ask the simple question "What would people try to exploit?", much of this could be avoided. As it is now, it makes developers look naive thinking that people won't try to abuse something if they can...when that's probably what 90% of online/multiplayer gaming is, lol.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I know what you mean. To be completely unbiased though, I'm still enjoying the hell out of the game. The title defense mode is addictive, and I really like the makeover of the Ultimate Fights mode this year. It's a great game, it's just dragged down a lot by some pretty serious oversights. I don't regret the $60 I spent, though. I'm just anxious for the patch at this point.

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']Yeah, I know what you mean. To be completely unbiased though, I'm still enjoying the hell out of the game. The title defense mode is addictive, and I really like the makeover of the Ultimate Fights mode this year. It's a great game, it's just dragged down a lot by some pretty serious oversights. I don't regret the $60 I spent, though. I'm just anxious for the patch at this point.[/QUOTE]

Yup, my thoughts exactly. I really don't think the game is half as bad as some are making it out to be. It does a lot of things really well. There are just some things that need to be basically removed. Fortunately, it seems like they're going to be...

Latest update from THQ posted earlier today on the patch:

Hey everyone,

As promised, here is your latest UFC patch update. Thank you for your constant patience. We realize the urgency. The dev team, QA, and 1st party are all working hard to deploy out this patch in the best timeframe possible. In the meantime, I’ll continue to provide you as honest updates as I can until this sucker is out the door. Please understand, while I would love to provide a daily update, its critical I always provide you concrete info only, otherwise, please consider this update always the latest.

The patch itself is near complete and we are preparing to submit to first parties (MSFT and SONY) currently. As I have mentioned in previous updates, we are at the mercy of their processes and QA, until we submit to first-party, its near impossible to give an accurate release timeline. Thus the patch will not be coming out next week, as we are currently in deliberation with QA & 1st party on a few issues revolving around Super CAF’s, among a few other items. These are very delicate critical changes, and there are a lot of parties involved to help make happen. However, we are gunning for late this month to release, again that takes in to account all 1st party mandatory processes as expected. I will keep you posted on the timeline, but at the very least wanted to give you some context and a look forward.

A few specifics on the patch itself:

We have greatly improved the success rate of joining both Ranked and Player matches on PS3 and Xbox 360. We also fixed an issue which caused gameplay to slow down on servers which had good connection quality (indicated by the Blue meter in Search Results).

We are all-but-certain to reset the Ranked Leaderboards when the patch deploys in order to level the current online playing field, given it has been heavily skewed by Super CAF’s, disconnects, and other nefarious gameplay issues being fixed. PLEASE KNOW this - all of your accumulated ranked online play stats are still stored offline in your personal profile, i.e. so you can always have an overall historical track. Resetting the leaderboards will allow us to start fresh competitive tournaments, new & old stars to rise once again, and level the playing field

Any takedowns which did not require a struggle have been removed. Additionally, the Omoplata submission has been adjusted so that players do not escape to a standing position.

We have lowered the AI proficiency at executing and escaping submissions. In other words, the AI should start to feel a lot more fair, while remaining challenging.

Players who disconnect during Ranked matches are penalized with a Loss, DNF, and Ranked point loss as well. Not to mention, you stand no chance at gaining any credibility in the competitive landscape. Players who try to use disconnecting in the future for any purpose meant to “gain”, will never be recognized or achieve success on our leaderboard or tourneys. Take your loss like a man!

That’s it for this week. We’ll have a lot of activity happening around E3 next week, so keep your eyes peeled on the website for that. And of course, I will update you on the patch the moment I have more new info.

BTW, it’s been a whirlwind first 3 weeks as your CM. I can embarrassingly admit I am way behind on my private messages. I will get to you as soon as possible. Thank you to those allowing me the time to get in a groove. Even after 6 years of this, it’s still a helluva challenge getting on top!

Cheers,
Tank
While I'm not terribly pleased that it seems the "in the process of" and "are preparing to" comments seem to be stalling tactics, I AM happy with what they're supposedly fixing. Making it so you have a chance to stuff any takedown and so that attempting an omoplata isn't a means for standing up are huge in my opinion. He also didn't mention anything about viewing your opponents stats before a fight online, but most people on the boards are hoping he just forgot to mention it since it was something Tank brought up before.

Even if they don't trim the reversal window or remove auto-block, one thing to consider is that the refs are ridiculously quick to stand you back up in this game. If somebody takes me down, usually I'll just try to frustrate them by hanging on. Then, if they get too aggressive, I can usually escape. But at least now it won't be so easy to take the fight to the mat, and you should be able to force a stand up fight if you want one. Like I've said, for the amount of things they got right in last year's game, I'm willing to give them a chance to fix this year's.

OMG d00dz my game broke!

Not really. I still don't understand how they broke the DLC without even updating the game, but oh well. That's the only thing that's really gone wrong for me. It just sucks that we have had several members have issues with the game not working for them. :( Now I won't be able to play with Devin or Gary. At least I've still got Nate, Alan, and FrankySox.

But I'm not trading this game in- I rarely trade in anything, anyway- and I am willing to fight in any weight class; multiple classes simultaneously if possible/necessary.

EDIT: Damn you, Nate... You had to include my 4-9-2 record from last year. I was much better with Gail Pennyfeather. And not that it really matters, but my guy is, of course, 5'8 and 170 pounds now. How he shrunk an inch, I do not know. Osteoporosis?

While we're all (or what's left of us anyway) waiting on the patch, I reccommend everyone go out and rent this movie. It's not going to win any awards, but it held my interest, made me laugh several times, and had several fighters in it (Heath Herring had a starring role and Kimbo Slice had a decent part). Also, the film did a great job keeping things equal. It seemed every time they showed a fighter with his shirt off, they kept things balanced by showing a chick take her shirt off. Can't go wrong with titties! :)

http://www.redbox.com/Titles/AvailableTitles.aspx?name=circle of pain

[quote name='n8rockerasu']While we're all (or what's left of us anyway) waiting on the patch, I reccommend everyone go out and rent this movie. It's not going to win any awards, but it held my interest, made me laugh several times, and had several fighters in it (Heath Herring had a starring role and Kimbo Slice had a decent part). Also, the film did a great job keeping things equal. It seemed every time they showed a fighter with his shirt off, they kept things balanced by showing a chick take her shirt off. Can't go wrong with titties! :)

http://www.redbox.com/Titles/AvailableTitles.aspx?name=circle%20of%20pain[/QUOTE]

It's a shame Gina Carano wasn't in the movie in the role of "Topless Girl."

Or Cyborg :shock:

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']It's a shame Gina Carano wasn't in the movie in the role of "Topless Girl."

Or Cyborg :shock:
[/QUOTE]

I thought Cyborg was in the movie...?

Wait! No, that was Roger Huerta. :lol:

Oh Nate, you can go very wrong with titties. Speaking of titties, Gary was on TNA Impact! I took a few pics from my TV (as in pointed the camera at the TV; no capture card) of him and his wife. He's a star!

36670_433879164934_680884934_5644041_4030424_n.jpg

36670_433879179934_680884934_5644042_8377357_n.jpg

36670_433879184934_680884934_5644043_3136436_n.jpg

Haha, that's awesome! Good to see Gary having a good time.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, THQ posted another update on the coming UFC patch. Tank made 3 separate statements to address confusion and the huge backlash that occurred after he posted the fixes, so I'm going to put them in spoilers.

Hey everyone,

Tough going here lately, understandably so, I didn't expect an easy entrace to this ring in spite of the issues we faced at launch with the game, so apologies if my presence and impact hasn't been immedietly felt yet. Here is the latest on the UFC patch front, and man once this update is out the door, i'm hoping for the TKO's on my fingers to settle down a bit....

We've officially submitted the patch through the final submission process that involes our QA team sign-off, and most importantly 1st-party. Microsoft and Sony each have their own timelines which are out of our control, so at this stage, we are waiting patiently for their sign-off. It can typically take at-least a week for it to pass through, and that's assuming we don't get kicked back for any issues and have to resubmit. Our QA team has signed off, so hopefully the stars align with 1st-party, and we sail through. Given 1st party timelines, it is very unlikely the patch will release next week, best hope is for the week after (last week of June). I know that's not the best news, but we are powerless at this point and need to abide by 1st party processes. I will absolutely keep you informed as best I can.

Also, you are already well aware of the primary fixes, here is a more definitive list of the highlight fixes for this upcoming patch:

• Changes Ranked and Player Match matchmaking to increase the success rate of joining online matches - applies to PS3 and X360.
  • Changes online point system so that players lose Ranked match points upon disconnecting from the match.
  • Removes instant takedowns. All takedowns now require a struggle.
  • Changes the Omoplata submission so fighters cannot cancel to a standing position.
  • Reduces the success rate of the AI when executing and defending submissions on higher difficulties.
  • Fixes CAF stats so they update correctly when moving to different weight divisions in Career mode.
  • Fixes a bug in Career in which the fighter is demoted to the WFA when he should not.
  • Career Fighters no longer keep their stats when copied to the Create A Fighter mode.
  • Career Fighters can no longer obtain stats of 100 in all categories (i.e. no Super CAFs)
Along with this patch deploy, we'll also be launching the Fight Camps, web stats, and tournament features on our website. We purposely held off on these with the patch timeline as we wanted to make sure the game was in a clean state that felt fair for everyone. I think you'll be pleased with the website integration.

Those are the primary highlights of the fixes to expect. There are a myriad of other minor changes, will post that full list once the patch deploys. I'll also make sure we get some developer commentary on why certain changes were applied the way we did, as I want to make sure you understand our perspective as well.

We strongly feel the above fixes are the most requested significant fixes we wanted to attack first in this patch. While there are hundreds of other patch requests and tunes, we can't do everything all at once or else this patch wouldn't be out until who knows when. Tough choices need to be made, but I think the above are the overall best fixes for this patch. We'll continue to monitor after the patch is deployed and support as best we can.

So, not the most definitive update with a patch drop date, but I hope it continues to give you some feeling that we are moving this as fast as possible and working with our first party partners to ensure a swift approval.

Thanks,
Tank

Post #2
Let me clarify a few misunderstood things, first off, forgot to add this to the list as well which concerns Super CAF's:

• The name of a CAF created prior to the patch will appear in Red text during Fighter Select.
What does this mean? It means, you will still be able to use your PRE-PATCH CAF's or Super CAF's online post-patch, but your opponent will know if you are because your CAF name will be marked inred. Players will still have the ability to back out of a match. Its a simple preventitive measure to allow pre-patch players to use their CAF's online, but also inform players if the CAF was created before the patch, or after. The reason being, hundreds of thousands of players have created Super CAF's, so post-patch, if you play against a player whose CAF name is tagged red, odds are this is a Super CAF. You can't create Super CAF's post patch. First couple of weeks post patch its likely a lot of red name CAF's will appear online, but as players re-create FAIR Caf's per our intended design, this will smoothen out.

Per this fix, and primarily due to patch size limitations, we're unable to implement a stat screen prior to match, HOWEVER, we implore CAF leagues to set their own rules and standards and largely expect the solution above will at least be a 50/50 meet halfway measure to assist leagues negating Super CAF's from play. Our patch size is limited to 4Mb which is INCREDIBLY small, that is MSFT / Sony rule we cannot get around. A patch is not treated the same as DLC, wherein a DLC is optional for online play, a patch is mandatory. Any mandatory patch fixes must be kept within 4Mb. Adding more UI screens wil put us over the limit. Its unfortunate, we looked at every angle to make happen, but as of this patch, we can't. We're very hopeful the above fix will suffice for most people as the primary reason people wanted to see CAF stats is to know if it was a Super CAF or not. Post patch, if the CAF name is in red, more than likely, its a Super CAF.

• Career Fighters no longer keep their stats when copied to the Create A Fighter mode.
This is another preventitive measure against Super CAF's, but moreso, it's how the design of UFC 2010 was originally intended, the way it works now is a BUG. The patch fix is exactly the same as UFC 2009 and levels out the playing field. The design intent was always to reward players who take the time to create-a-fighter through Career mode, train him, make him a champion, and then bring him in to ranked play. Those players deserve an edge for training their CAF, that is what a career mode is all about - building a champion. With the patch fix, you'll still be able to copy your Career Mode fighter to CAF mode, but only visually, that was the original design intent that is being fixed. Under Career mode in its current form right now, players were able to play only partially through, copy their fighter to CAF mode to finish assigning points, and wallah, have a quick-shortcut way to creating a Super CAF. That was not the design intent.

CAF mode has predertmined stat caps that are intentional so you can't create the same powerful fighter you could if you take a CAF through Career mode. Otherwise, there is no incentive to play Career Mode and defeats the entire purpose. You should be rewarded for taking a fighter through a career, and your reward is having an edge over players who don't and having that edge in online ranked play. That said, you can stil create a great fighter with just CAF mode and not progresssing through Career mode, still go online and be a bad-ass, you just won't have the extra edge that players who worked and trained hard to gain, will have. Make no mistake, you want to create a fighter and get online quickly, you can still do that without a problem. And there is nothing stopping you from beating a Career Mode leveled CAF if your skills outweigh your opponent.

While we completely understand this forces a lot of you to actually play through career mode, it speaks to the true design nature of the game and UFC in general. You have to work hard to be good, there should be no shortcuts. Those who want to be the best at UFC 2010, will earn their way to it with no shortcuts or Super CAF's.
Regarding stat resets, that is still the current plan. We will reset the leaderboards so they are fresh and new, but you'll still retain your personal stats. I understand some may disagree, but the point here is to give everyone a fresh start. We're planning future tournaments and such and want those to be started clean.

I think the above context for changes helps, and I also realize for a lot of you, it may not be the best news or what you hoped for. At the end of the day, our effort with this patch is to reset the playing field, give everyone an opportunity to play fair, and really start to qualify the UFC 2010 online experience as it was meant to be at launch.

-Tank

Post #3
I've said quite a few times we are resetting the leaderboards to give people a fresh start.

The stat screen that was in 2009 which is not in 2010 was an unfortunate oversight, and the patch size limitation is out of our hands. We can't ever have more than 4Mb of patched content for the game for XBOX 360. Its not that we can't create it, its that we are limited.

Regarding what this patch includes, there was no need to poll what the community wants, it was extremely obvious just by reading the boards here and everywhere. While the stat screen was a heavily requested feature, the dev team was unable to fulfill, but everything else on the list is unquestionably the most requested critical fixes. We only have so much time to keep collecting feedback for a patch that is realistic to complete withina time frame to release it, and is simply realistic post launch. Even if the community deems something critical, we can't always come through.

I'll do my best to see what we can do post-patch to implement a stat screen, if there is a way somehow for future updates. At the end of the day, you can still see a player's record win, loss, DNF, and most people arguing for a stat screen wanted it so they could avoid playing a Super CAF. The red name solution is not great, but for the time being it will help suffice and give players more accountability for playing with somone fair.
I agree 100% the above solution is not a win for players who had legitimate CAF, but we had no technical way to just strictly prohibit Super CAF's from online play. We looked long and hard for an engineering solution and one that would suffice with MSFT and Sony, but we could not at this stage and made the call to get the patch done.

All in all, for many this will suffice as a middle-solution, and understandably, for a lot of you, its not the best. I cannot promise, but i'll continue searching for a way to get around the limitations. For now, we want to get this patch out.

-Tank

Gotta say, I'm not really happy with it. Pretty much everybody who's in an online league (UOC and otherwise) has been wondering why you can't look at your opponent's stats online. Tank promised it was something they were looking into, but now stated that they couldn't figure out how to add one into the game. As for dealing with Super CAFs, the only "fix" they can make is having all CAFs that were created before the patch appear in red.

Problem is, this tells you absolutely nothing, and forces you to assume that any CAF name appearing in read is a Super CAF. My other problem is that he mentioned that they JUST NOW submitted the patch to MS and Sony, so it won't be out next week either. So, as I feared, all the "in the process of" and "getting ready to" talk was indeed stalling. Which means, once again, here's another game that won't work properly until one month after it has been released.

And with that, I'm done pre-ordering online sports games until they start doing online beta testing. Between NHL 10, MLB 10: The Show, and now this...too many patches have been needed. Even from what I've been reading in the NCAA 11 thread, it seems there could be an onside kick glitch? (Sean said he went 6 for 6 in recovering them) If that's true, you KNOW EA won't have time to fix it before the game is released. So, that means...another patch.

It's just gotten way out of hand, especially now with companies forcing you to pay/unlock online as something "extra". So, people are going to unlock online play in NCAA 11 just to get onside kick glitched all day? Awesome! These companies are nuts if they think I won't wait a month, buy the game used, and save $30. Even if they want to charge me $5-10 to play online, at least it will work then, and it'll still be cheaper than buying it new.

I really wished this game had worked as advertised as Nate seem to put more thought into the league than they did into the online. I may not appreciate how dissenters opinions have been treated on this thread, but I really wish this crap had worked and we were into the 2nd or 3rd card by now.

Last THQ UFC game I buy used and I can only pray that EA MMA turns out decent to give MMA video game fans something to look forward to this year.

My issue with dissenters opinions was always that it's not this game that is the specific problem. It's the state of the industry. Online beta testing is proving to be severely needed in all sports games. Sure, it was a huge mistake by THQ to botch something this bad. But they're not the only ones making that mistake. That's all my point has been this entire time.

As for me being more prepared than THQ, yeah, that thought actually occurred to me today. I realized that I had done all this research on stat ranges and potential caps and whatnot, but without being able to check your opponent's stats, none of it really matters. I've seen a few suggestions of having people "verify" their fighters before the fight by taking a picture of their stats, but obviously, there would be ways to get around that. It's just crazy to think we seemed to be better off last year than we are now. That really says something.

Wow, apparently, PS3 users got their patch today. THQ wasn't even notified that it had been approved. Sony just released it. Tank said typically, no patches are released before they are approved for all systems, but for whatever reason, Sony just put it through anyway. This may not have any effect on 360 gamers at all, but I guess THQ did notify Microsoft of this in case they feel at all motivated by Sony being "quicker" than them, haha.

Knowing my luck, the patch will come out Thursday...when I leave for 9 days to go visit family. On the positive side, at least this shows that the patch is likely to be approved. So, "only" the first month of the game's launch was wasted. Now, to see how many of us are still standing.

I'm still in no matter what. The thing that pisses me off the most about waiting, other than what it's done to the CAGFC, is the fact that I have to wait till it's out before I start my career mode. Otherwise, I'll be branded with the red name of death and people will think Ive got a super CAF.

[quote name='Matt Young']I'm still in no matter what. The thing that pisses me off the most about waiting, other than what it's done to the CAGFC, is the fact that I have to wait till it's out before I start my career mode. Otherwise, I'll be branded with the red name of death and people will think Ive got a super CAF.[/QUOTE]

Well, some people have speculated that it only matters if you retire you fighter before the patch is released (since that's when he gets moved to the special "retired" section), but I don't know how true that might be. I was almost wondering if you could kind of game the system by copying your fighters to a memory card, delete them from your system, and then add them back after the patch is out. I don't know if it actually marks the day the CAF was created in any way...or just when the file was "made". That might not work either, but it's something I've been thinking about, so my fighters aren't "redlisted".

Granted, my first fighter is completely maxed out, lol...with max attributes and 100 in every skill. I'm just hoping all of this will be worth it in the end. I'm hearing some reports from PS3 users that the patch hardly fixed anything. They're saying online is still difficult to find matches in and is still laggy. I'm hoping that it could be a matter of people needing time to download the patch (since those who haven't can't play online) and poor individual connections. It's getting harder to stay optimistic though.

Maybe it is people still not having the patch downloaded. With how long downloads take on the PS3 compared to the 360, some people may be waiting a couple days after they initiate the download.

Just got back from vacation last night. Just popped in UFC now and tested the patch a bit. I like the way the game plays (though I didn't have a huge problem with it before...people will always play like assholes no matter what the game is, or what gets patched. You just have to learn to adapt to their style), but the online server still seems pretty terrible. It took me 4 tries before I finally found a ranked match. And of course, the one I found was a guy using a red CAF. I backed out, and then it took me 8 more tries before I found another match.

The guy picked Cain Velasquez, so I countered with Dos Santos as usual. I found out pretty quickly he was a reversal spammer, throwing wild punches from far away just to draw me in, and then immediately going for the takedown when I closed the distance. Then he'd just lay on me and throw baby punches waiting to reverse. Once I got up, I learned to keep my distance and just stuff the takedown when it came.

After he couldn't get me down, he started getting a little more wreckless. So, I started doing the same bullshit to him. Takedown, baby punch, fake my transitions, etc. Eventually, the ref stood us up, and he went for big punches again. I swayed, countered, and boom: flash KO. I can't really say I "outclassed" him in the fight. But I dealt with his garbage strategy, made him change his gameplan, and was rewarded for it. Again, these are the moments when the game shines. I just wish it wasn't so tedious to find them.

Anyway, I don't even know who still has this game, but is there any interest left in trying to do a league this year? What's Meaty/Bubba talking about making your CAF 18 with a white name? Doesn't that just mean it's a CAF created after the patch? I guess being gone 9 days put me out of the loop.

Ok, so that looks like 5 people. If we're going to do this at all, we probably need to move to one weight class. Since we're using insta CAFs, it doesn't matter to me which weight class we use. I'd also be fine with the idea of allowing everyone to have 2 fighters so we could have two different weight classes. If anyone has a preference, just let me know. Otherwise, I'd be inclined to do something like Heavyweight and Welterweight.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Ok, so that looks like 5 people. If we're going to do this at all, we probably need to move to one weight class. Since we're using insta CAFs, it doesn't matter to me which weight class we use. I'd also be fine with the idea of allowing everyone to have 2 fighters so we could have two different weight classes. If anyone has a preference, just let me know. Otherwise, I'd be inclined to do something like Heavyweight and Welterweight.[/QUOTE]

Heavyweight and Welterweight would be fine with me.

I was planning on recreating myself at welterweight (to avoid the red name of doom) and making Gail Pennyfeather at heavyweight, so I'm with you guys there.

[quote name='Bubba Thrust']lets gett rolling im all for whatever you guys are doing[/QUOTE]

You showing up once a month to post your thoughts really helps, I'll tell ya.

I tried messaging JaytheGamefan on Xbox Live earlier this week when I saw him doing some online fights. I thought maybe we could do some test fights and see if there were any rules or guidelines we should adopt. But he never responded to me. I also sent PM's on here to seen and bosoxfan about their interest in doing CAGFC, and got no response.

So, yeah...the most I know from people who've looked at the thread in the past two weeks is we're fine doing HW and WW. But I don't have fighter names for everybody, so this is all I can do.

Heavyweight

E. Honda (moojuiced) vs. Bubba Thrust (HW Title)
MGFanjay vs. Frankysox
Gail Pennyfeather (X MattYoung X) vs. Thomas -EBM- Bruso (n8rocker82)

Welterweight
Simeon Lamhov (Bubba Thrust) vs. MGFanjay
Nate Lisa (n8rocker82) vs. moojuiced
Jack Locke (Frankysox) vs. Matt Young (X MattYoung X)

There you go. Those are the matchups. Get on it. Since there's no stats screen or way to prove if you're using a juiced or even a career fighter, if you're accused of cheating twice, you're out. There's no prizes here. Fight with respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guys are Gail Pennyfeather for heavyweight and Matt Young for welterweight. I can play in the morning Sunday, and then probably Monday night. I know you two are usually online regularly (I haven't been; not on XBL or PSN) but let me know a time that works for you.

I'll make some fighters tonight, and I'm good for fights any night but Monday, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. My heavyweight fighter is Fedor and my welterweight is named Aaron Alvarez.

All right since this seems to be the most active UFC topic on the boards I figured I'd post some questions / comments.

Just recently got the game for the PS3. Why is it that I can't fucking do anything on the ground? It seems like every time I get taken down I either get submitted or just have to wait for the round to end. Yet on the opposite end of things, I can get a pretty good takedown, yet it lasts about 10 seconds before my opponent is back up. And even if he's not, I can never sub. Yes I have the stamina bar on and make sure the CPU literally has just about none left before attempting and that mine is full. I honestly have ended every fight by KO/TKO. This is getting really annoying. Can I get some assistance from you Undisputed vets out there? BTW I'm only playing on experienced.

Oh yeah and for some more info. Every time I'm on the ground I always get mounted, give up my back, then go back to mount. Can never seem to get back to my feet. Maybe I'm not controlling it right? I'm just rotating the fuck out of the right stick and hoping something good happens.. as well as clicking the left stick every now and then.

Whats your GT Bubba?

Miller: Try learning to do reversals. They'll either end up with you in a dominant position or get both fighters on their feet. With the stupid auto-transition blocking this year, it seems really difficult to get back up to your feet without exploits. Just in case you don't know how to reverse, flick the right stick any direction as soon as your opponent begins a transition.

Yeah, this year's game is generally all about adapting to your opponent's fighting style. No one strategy will work every time. AI opponents are at least a little more predictable and don't take advantage of mistakes as severely as online opponents. So, definitely get familiar with the movements on the lower difficulties. Just spinning the stick like a lunatic is not going to cut it. You gotta be strategic about it.

First, just drill reversals over and over again. This should be pretty easy since you can do them from top or bottom. Sadly, this is the biggest part of the ground game you should learn because it can very easily get you into some really good positions...or out of some very bad ones. Some people abuse the hell out of it online and will just lay on you until you try to escape. Then they reverse you. Against these people, you HAVE to keep the fight standing, or get good at it yourself, and do the same shit to them.

As for actually transitioning, like moo mentioned, Yukes added auto block this year, which is SUPPOSED to make the game more fluid, but most of the time, it results in you spamming transitions against the AI (3rd time always works), or NEVER transitioning against a human opponent (because they will reverse you and smash your face). It's not a great system, but I will say it DOES have one redeeming quality.

If you notice, you can just press a direction on the right stick slightly, and hold it there, and your guy will move his arms/legs as though he's beginning a transition. This becomes extremely useful for faking out human opponents who only go for reversals because instead of doing it in one motion, you can delay the transition attempt and screw up their timing.

Honestly, by your own admission, if you're just flailing away at the right stick and not really planning out what you're trying to do, I'd say you haven't learned the controls or the engine well enough yet. Even with its weaknesses, the controls for this game are pretty deep, with lots of variations done by holding different buttons. Like I said, start on the lower difficulties, put yourself in the positions you suck at, and practice. Go slowly, and pay attention to what you're doing with the stick, and what your character is doing on the screen. Eventually, it will start to click.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']I'll make some fighters tonight, and I'm good for fights any night but Monday, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. My heavyweight fighter is Fedor and my welterweight is named Aaron Alvarez.[/QUOTE]

Can you do our Heavyweight fight on Tuesday night? Also Matt I'll be on late most nights this week if you want to do the epic WW fight!

I can probably play Tuesday night for WW if you want, man. I am going to have to remake my guys today. You and Nate will probably both won me, but oh well. I just want to get things going. We've had terrible luck with this league and the MLB 10 league, even though Nate's done so much work.

[quote name='Bubba Thrust']MY GT: Bubba Thrust I might be on tonight.[/QUOTE]
Accepted your FR. Just F.Y.I, I'll be working thru Friday, and I'll be gone from 5pm EST to around 2:30am EST (depends on traffic really, but that early there usually is none xd). Friday and Saturday I'll most likeley be free all day.

Hey Jay, I sent you a FR on XBL. I'd like to get our fight in tonight or tomorrow would work as well. I'm normally on late on night but I could work something else out with you if that doesn't work.

MATT! I'll be on tonight if you see me shoot me a message. I'm game anytime tonight to get our fight in!

Bubba Thrust | E. Honda | KO (2:30ish in round 1)

Got my ass beat down lol. Been so long since I've played this game that I forgot how to stand up from the ground.

Nate Lisa | E. Honda | KO (1:40 in round 2)

Same deal, lasted longer since I had some warmup with the Bubba fight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nate Lisa | E. Honda | KO | 1:49 of Rd 2

Good fight(s), Alan. I know you were rusty, but hopefully if this thing keeps moving, you'll have more opportunities to sharpen your skills. I'm impressed that Bubba recorded your fight though (and showed his stats...good for you, man). It makes me mad with jealousy. I'd be a little scared with somebody named Bubba Thrust offering to "teach you some stuff" though, haha.

On that topic, I sent you a friend request, Bubba, but you signed off right afterward. I wanted to fight you and be a world famous video star too. But you ducked me you jive turkey. I was going to introduce you to Jack Johnson and Tom O'Leary. There would have been two hits in that fight. Me hitting your face, and you hitting the canvas. Ok, I think that's all the quotes and clichés I've got for now. :)

[quote name='Matt Young']LOL @ Meaty's post.

I saw that you were playing Borderlands when I checked Xbox.com, so I figured you'd be busy with that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah not a big deal. Only thing I'll probably be really engrossed in would be Limbo. I just need like 10-15 minutes to get ready for the fight no matter what I'm playing. I'll be on Wednesday night though for my ass kicking.

bread's done
Back