CAGLB - MLB 08 Online League - Congrats to BasketCase1080, CAGLB Champion!

[quote name='fusionstyle']Damn cartman, that was a good game. I cried when Chipper hit that home run. I knew that was gonna be the dagger. Congrats on your win, man.[/quote]

No kidding, man. Hell of a game. You have probably one of the best pitch eyes that I've seen online, minus the "veteran" douchenozzles. I usually get 10+ strikeouts a game, but you held your own so well. That's got to be one of the most enjoyable experiences yet.

Good luck to your squad. I'm sure there is more good talent in CAG, but I honestly hope not to see you again if by chance we both make it to the playoffs.

Wow, Frisky. That was my laggiest game of MLB yet. For most of the game it was pretty much unplayable. At this point skill is thrown out the window and luck usually takes its turn at the plate. The weight just dropped in my favor this time with that 3 run homer in the 8th. I sure hope they patch this. I don't know if I can stomach 13 more games like that. It feels like a waste. Good game tho. Sorry I was a bit late. I was driving fast, trying to get home. I live an hour away from my work and everything else I do. Heh. It sucks.

Has anyone else had problems making substitutions? In my game yesterday I wanted to sub my pitcher out before his at-bat in the 8th, but every time I got to the menu and tried to move to the Pinch Hit screen, the game automatically switched to the next screen in the pause menu, as if pinch hit and the bullpen options were disabled. What's the deal? The same happened when I tried to go to the bullpen in the top of the next inning. My pause time definitely hadn't run out, I'd only paused once in the 6th or 7th to get a couple of guys going in the bullpen. Good thing Chris Young still had enough in the tank to complete the game.

[quote name='mrlogical']Has anyone else had problems making substitutions? In my game yesterday I wanted to sub my pitcher out before his at-bat in the 8th, but every time I got to the menu and tried to move to the Pinch Hit screen, the game automatically switched to the next screen in the pause menu, as if pinch hit and the bullpen options were disabled. What's the deal? The same happened when I tried to go to the bullpen in the top of the next inning. My pause time definitely hadn't run out, I'd only paused once in the 6th or 7th to get a couple of guys going in the bullpen. Good thing Chris Young still had enough in the tank to complete the game.[/quote]

You were switching to the menu before the field was set, I believe. I had this same problem when I first started playing online. If you try to go to the menu before the end of the "play" it won't let you do roster moves.

You have to wait til the pitcher is set for the next pitch. Which sucks because a lot of people do that "hit x as fast as you can so he can't sub his pitcher" bs. But I think in the long run it's better because I'd rather have that then asshats who pause the game in the middle of a tag-up or something like and screw you up trying to do it or something of that nature.

Damn cartman, that was a good game. I cried when Chipper hit that home run. I knew that was gonna be the dagger. Congrats on your win, man.

[quote name='fusionstyle']Damn cartman, that was a good game. I cried when Chipper hit that home run. I knew that was gonna be the dagger. Congrats on your win, man.[/quote]

No kidding, man. Hell of a game. You have probably one of the best pitch eyes that I've seen online, minus the "veteran" douchenozzles. I usually get 10+ strikeouts a game, but you held your own so well. That's got to be one of the most enjoyable experiences yet.

Good luck to your squad. I'm sure there is more good talent in CAG, but I honestly hope not to see you again if by chance we both make it to the playoffs.

Wow, Frisky. That was my laggiest game of MLB yet. For most of the game it was pretty much unplayable. At this point skill is thrown out the window and luck usually takes its turn at the plate. The weight just dropped in my favor this time with that 3 run homer in the 8th. I sure hope they patch this. I don't know if I can stomach 13 more games like that. It feels like a waste. Good game tho. Sorry I was a bit late. I was driving fast, trying to get home. I live an hour away from my work and everything else I do. Heh. It sucks.

Has anyone else had problems making substitutions? In my game yesterday I wanted to sub my pitcher out before his at-bat in the 8th, but every time I got to the menu and tried to move to the Pinch Hit screen, the game automatically switched to the next screen in the pause menu, as if pinch hit and the bullpen options were disabled. What's the deal? The same happened when I tried to go to the bullpen in the top of the next inning. My pause time definitely hadn't run out, I'd only paused once in the 6th or 7th to get a couple of guys going in the bullpen. Good thing Chris Young still had enough in the tank to complete the game.

[quote name='mrlogical']Has anyone else had problems making substitutions? In my game yesterday I wanted to sub my pitcher out before his at-bat in the 8th, but every time I got to the menu and tried to move to the Pinch Hit screen, the game automatically switched to the next screen in the pause menu, as if pinch hit and the bullpen options were disabled. What's the deal? The same happened when I tried to go to the bullpen in the top of the next inning. My pause time definitely hadn't run out, I'd only paused once in the 6th or 7th to get a couple of guys going in the bullpen. Good thing Chris Young still had enough in the tank to complete the game.[/quote]

You were switching to the menu before the field was set, I believe. I had this same problem when I first started playing online. If you try to go to the menu before the end of the "play" it won't let you do roster moves.

You have to wait til the pitcher is set for the next pitch. Which sucks because a lot of people do that "hit x as fast as you can so he can't sub his pitcher" bs. But I think in the long run it's better because I'd rather have that then asshats who pause the game in the middle of a tag-up or something like and screw you up trying to do it or something of that nature.

Yeah, this was during the inning but it did start because I accidentally pressed pause right before the inning began as well, so maybe that had lingering effects. As to the "hit x as fast as you can so he can't sub his pitcher" thing you reference, I definitely have encountered that in other online games before the CAG league. Do we all agree that that is horrible and cheap and makes the game not fun and we're not doing that? Not that I assume anyone in the league would think otherwise, but I guess you never know what people think makes playing a game "fun."

[quote name='cartman58']You were switching to the menu before the field was set, I believe. I had this same problem when I first started playing online. If you try to go to the menu before the end of the "play" it won't let you do roster moves.

You have to wait til the pitcher is set for the next pitch. Which sucks because a lot of people do that "hit x as fast as you can so he can't sub his pitcher" bs. But I think in the long run it's better because I'd rather have that then asshats who pause the game in the middle of a tag-up or something like and screw you up trying to do it or something of that nature.[/quote]

[quote name='RynoZebz']Wow, Frisky. That was my laggiest game of MLB yet. For most of the game it was pretty much unplayable. At this point skill is thrown out the window and luck usually takes its turn at the plate. The weight just dropped in my favor this time with that 3 run homer in the 8th. I sure hope they patch this. I don't know if I can stomach 13 more games like that. It feels like a waste. Good game tho. Sorry I was a bit late. I was driving fast, trying to get home. I live an hour away from my work and everything else I do. Heh. It sucks.[/quote]
It's the worst I've seen so far, though it at least got better near the end of the game. I can't believe all the beans I threw because of it. I'm lucky my pitcher didn't get the boot for that. My game with mrlogical was fairly smooth throughout.

Yeah, so far I haven't had too much trouble with lag. Though I wish they could do something smart, like cancel the pitch if it all of a sudden lurches in the middle, but perhaps that's more complicated than it sounds. My PS3 network performance in general has been much better since I plugged my PS3 into the router rather than relying on the wireless.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's the worst I've seen so far, though it at least got better near the end of the game. I can't believe all the beans I threw because of it. I'm lucky my pitcher didn't get the boot for that. My game with mrlogical was fairly smooth throughout.[/quote]

I have a huge announcement for all my league friends...

I found out, during a game against my friend, both of us played IN PERSON...

The reason the pitch meter disappears and you can't determine your own velocity, is because the other player either guessed the pitch, or the pitch location correct... that automatically takes away your meter, and you throw the pitch to the spot you picked

It has nothing to do with online play...

The only real online play lag is if the game stops and then starts while you are in the field or whatever... the meter not working on a pitch is not lag.

This should clear up some people getting upset at the online play fluidity.

DestroVega: I was aware that this was happening. I have a dual shock import and picked up on this right away as it vibrates when these things happen. This isn't what we're talking about. I've been googling the lag issues for MLB 08 The Show and it seems we're not the only ones. I even came across some YouTube videos. It's strange as I play online games with loads of other people and don't have any problems at all. This is definately a game issue and needs to be patched.

It's funny that sometimes the animations stutter so much that I don't even see the ball coming at me. I jsut have to try and time my button press and hope for the best. My last game I hit a game winning homerun against Frisky and in the replay that the PS3 saved (they showed the hr at the end of the game) you can see the ball jumping around wildly on screen as it's coming towards the batter. My guy swins after the ball is behind him and then magically you see another ball come off the bat and head for the stands. This is horrible. It's been hit and miss for me. But I've never had a great game yet. In fact it just has been getting worse.

[quote name='RynoZebz']DestroVega: I was aware that this was happening. I have a dual shock import and picked up on this right away as it vibrates when these things happen. This isn't what we're talking about. I've been googling the lag issues for MLB 08 The Show and it seems we're not the only ones. I even came across some YouTube videos. It's strange as I play online games with loads of other people and don't have any problems at all. This is definately a game issue and needs to be patched.

It's funny that sometimes the animations stutter so much that I don't even see the ball coming at me. I jsut have to try and time my button press and hope for the best. My last game I hit a game winning homerun against Frisky and in the replay that the PS3 saved (they showed the hr at the end of the game) you can see the ball jumping around wildly on screen as it's coming towards the batter. My guy swins after the ball is behind him and then magically you see another ball come off the bat and head for the stands. This is horrible. It's been hit and miss for me. But I've never had a great game yet. In fact it just has been getting worse.[/quote]

ok.. i jut thought the meter thing was lag then. silly me.

GG captain. We had bad lag of course. To throw into that we even had a game glitch, where it cheated captain when the game magically skipped Brandon Inge's atbat when he was down 1-2 in the count. Then we had another glitch when I hit a single with Pudge the game wouldn't let us continue until Captain tagged me while I was standing at first base safely. So I guess the glitches evened out the game.

GG. Yeah, that glitch threw me off. The lag for me this game wasn't as bad as my last game, which was almost unplayable. The lag this game really fucked with my head though. For pitching, the game would almost always hiccup between the two spots on the meter, which was why I kept throwing those wild pitches. Then for hitting, I finally figured it out during the 8th. I had to go by a count, not the animations. I remember a couple times I hit the ball but my batter just stood still.

Is everyone in this league playing on dial-up or something? Seriously the lag is not that bad at all. Try not downloading things while you play, having no other internet use during the game, and/or hardwiring your system. I absolutely refuse to believe that in Southeast Tennessee that I have that much better internet service technology then the rest of you.

PureApathy... Alright game I guess, you pitched fast on purpose I guess so that I couldn't use the guess pitch feature, and twice when I was in an obvious pinch hit for my pitcher you pitched before I could pinch hit, whatever.

Game was alright, lag was absolutely horrible at the end, worst i've ever had, thus resulting in 2 beans in the 9th which resulted in 4 runs. I would select my pitch and next thing i saw was your guy getting hit upside the head, ugh... There is no way tolocate pitches on lag that bad. Rameriz sp? was on though..

[quote name='runpuddrun']PureApathy... Alright game I guess, you pitched fast on purpose I guess so that I couldn't use the guess pitch feature, and twice when I was in an obvious pinch hit for my pitcher you pitched before I could pinch hit, whatever.

Game was alright, lag was absolutely horrible at the end, worst i've ever had, thus resulting in 2 beans in the 9th which resulted in 4 runs. I would select my pitch and next thing i saw was your guy getting hit upside the head, ugh... There is no way tolocate pitches on lag that bad. Rameriz sp? was on though..[/quote]

The reason I pitched fast to you was because in the top of the 6th and I think the other inning was the 8th I was down by one run and had my RP come up to bat. You were selecting the pitches and throwing them so fast that I wasn't able to pinch hit. After you selected your pitch, it grayed out the pinch hit option for me. I had to take two quick strikes from you in the 6th and then pause the rapidly until I was able to select the option to pinch hit.

At least I threw you one ball the two times you were trying to pinch hit in the 9th. :)

Also, due to the fast pitching, there were a lot of pitches I wasn't able to guess on my end so it worked both ways.

I didn't really notice any lag at all. At one time when I was pitching I noticed it lag a little, so I let it sit there for 10-15 seconds. Overall it was one of the best lag free game's I've played.

It was still a fun game, I thought you had me once you hit the grand slam with Burrell and then a solo HR with the next batter.

PureApathy... Alright game I guess, you pitched fast on purpose I guess so that I couldn't use the guess pitch feature, and twice when I was in an obvious pinch hit for my pitcher you pitched before I could pinch hit, whatever.

Game was alright, lag was absolutely horrible at the end, worst i've ever had, thus resulting in 2 beans in the 9th which resulted in 4 runs. I would select my pitch and next thing i saw was your guy getting hit upside the head, ugh... There is no way tolocate pitches on lag that bad. Rameriz sp? was on though..

[quote name='runpuddrun']PureApathy... Alright game I guess, you pitched fast on purpose I guess so that I couldn't use the guess pitch feature, and twice when I was in an obvious pinch hit for my pitcher you pitched before I could pinch hit, whatever.

Game was alright, lag was absolutely horrible at the end, worst i've ever had, thus resulting in 2 beans in the 9th which resulted in 4 runs. I would select my pitch and next thing i saw was your guy getting hit upside the head, ugh... There is no way tolocate pitches on lag that bad. Rameriz sp? was on though..[/quote]

The reason I pitched fast to you was because in the top of the 6th and I think the other inning was the 8th I was down by one run and had my RP come up to bat. You were selecting the pitches and throwing them so fast that I wasn't able to pinch hit. After you selected your pitch, it grayed out the pinch hit option for me. I had to take two quick strikes from you in the 6th and then pause the rapidly until I was able to select the option to pinch hit.

At least I threw you one ball the two times you were trying to pinch hit in the 9th. :)

Also, due to the fast pitching, there were a lot of pitches I wasn't able to guess on my end so it worked both ways.

I didn't really notice any lag at all. At one time when I was pitching I noticed it lag a little, so I let it sit there for 10-15 seconds. Overall it was one of the best lag free game's I've played.

It was still a fun game, I thought you had me once you hit the grand slam with Burrell and then a solo HR with the next batter.

I had the same problem with the pinch hitter being grayed out, My lag was awful, thus the 2 beans to the skull in the 9th which sealed the game for you...

I didn't mean to pitch fast, sorry if I accused you of anything wrong, it WAS a great game overall. I thought I had you too, after the slam and the jack right after that, I figured the game would settle down a bit, guess not...

you played great, I played ok until the bottom of the 8th and 9th, you won fair and square, good luck the rest of the season.

[quote name='runpuddrun']I had the same problem with the pinch hitter being grayed out, My lag was awful, thus the 2 beans to the skull in the 9th which sealed the game for you...

I didn't mean to pitch fast, sorry if I accused you of anything wrong, it WAS a great game overall. I thought I had you too, after the slam and the jack right after that, I figured the game would settle down a bit, guess not...

you played great, I played ok until the bottom of the 8th and 9th, you won fair and square, good luck the rest of the season.[/quote]

Thanks, I think you played great too. Maybe our experience will help others in the league know not to hurry up and pick pitches when there is a pinch hit situation. I tend to pitch fast most of the time unless the game is laggy. If it is laggy, then I'll slow it down. I'll make sure to try to slow it down for the rest of the people I play when their pitchers are up to bat.

When you hit ARAM in the 9th, I thought maybe you were just pissed at him and wanted to hit him since first base was open. But yeah, I had a lot of fun with our game.

Good luck to you too!

Sent DeskLaser a PM last week and an in-game mail tonight. I wanted to play on wednesday or thursday last week since I was out of town all weekend and now I can only play our game on either tomorrow night or thursday night, as I will be busy wed. night.

[quote name='MSUHitman']It would have to be after 8 p.m. central tomorrow night. I am busy this wednesday night.[/quote]

I don't think you guys will be able to play. This weeks league play ends here shortly...

The current round of play is still active. Unfinished games cannot be resolved until the current round expires on Apr 08, 2008 03:14 PM.

I could be wrong though.

Well I sent a PM here on CAG last Tuesday saying I needed to play on Wed. or Thursday last week because I would be out of town Friday-Sunday and never got a response until last night/today after messages in-game and in this thread so I don't know what else I can do.

Alright, standings are up, schedules are up, and I've updated rotations, as well, in the OP. Just so we are clear, you guys are supposed to be using your rotations, not picking your ace every game. I'll forgive you if you forgot last week, but you must be using your #3 pitchers this week. To help you guys remember who to use, I'll include pitching matchups with the schedules in the OP, as well as post them here. I'll probably send them out in PM's, too, so keep an eye out for those. Also, if Y3llow doesn't show up for his next game, he'll be kicked from the league, which I think gives everybody that's left on his schedule a week off plus a win.

Here's the schedules + pitching matchups for this week:
Boston Red Sox (TheRock_88) at Chicago Cubs (RawisJericho)
Pitching Matchup: Tim Wakefield vs. Rich Hill

Chicago White Sox (Supreme) at Cleveland Indians (FriskyTanuki)
Pitching Matchup: Jose Contreras vs. Jake Westbrook

St. Louis Cardinals (MSUHitman) at Detroit Tigers (ruffinra)
Pitching Matchup: Kyle Lohse vs. Jeremy Bonderman

Philiadelphia Phillies (runpuddrun) at LA Angels (Y3llow)
Pitching Matchup: Jamie Moyer vs. Joe Saunders

San Diego Padres (mrlogical) at LA Dodgers (fusionstyle)
Pitching Matchup: Greg Maddux vs. Chad Billingsley

Colorado Rockies (RynoZebz) at Milwaukee Brewers (BasketCase1080)
Pitching Matchup: Ubaldo Jiminez vs. Dave Bush

Baltimore Orioles (DeskLaser) at New York Mets (DestroVega)
Pitching Matchup: Steve Trachsel vs. John Maine

Atlanta Braves (cartman58) at New York Yankees (GiantYankees)
Pitching Matchup: Tim Hudson vs. Phil Hughes

Hmm... what time zone are you? I'm central. I wont' be home again until late Thursday night. Then I work all day Friday and I'm going to a friend's house on Friday night and won't be home till really late. I should be home Saturday during the day but then I won't be home again until sometime Sunday evening. Yea, I'm all over the place. It's rough living an hour away from everything. Heh.

[quote name='DeskLaser']Let me know if there is a good time for you to play tomorrow.[/quote]

Unfortunately not untill 10 PM EST today... tomorrow can be earlier, as early as possibly 7 more like 8

I sent you a friend request on the PS3. I am open to play for the rest of the night. Either accept my request and respond to me on there or send me a PM or something.

[quote name='runpuddrun']Has anyone had any contact with the Y3llow guy? He has only posted 1 time and won't msg me back...[/quote]

He was my week 1 guy. I sent him a PM on opening day and he basically said he could play anytime after 5 o'clock during the week. I then never heard anything else from him. He would get online and I would send him a PM and then he would disappear again. Frisky should probably just drop him or he can just resolve it and give Y3llow's opponents the win.

i msg'ed him and PM'ed him but no response yet. I see that he is 0-2, so Frisky must have just given him the loss both times. Sucks cause I actually enjoy playing you guys.

Hmm. Guess you were busy today Giant, I was on from 12 until just a little while ago. You got on for about 10 minutes an hour and a half after we were supposed to play and never said anything when I IM'd you. Hopefully we can meet up again.

[quote name='DeskLaser']I sent you a friend request on the PS3. I am open to play for the rest of the night. Either accept my request and respond to me on there or send me a PM or something.[/quote]

Hey, when I didn't see a post from you by 10 I figured last night was no good... Let's shoot for tonight, say around 9 pm EST?

Thanks for the ass kicking, Basket. There were several times in the game that I really got screwed tho. When I had the bases loaded I only got 2 of the pitches and was called out on the second pitch. Your constant base running really kicked my ass too. It wasn't bad enough that I'm not all the good but the lag made it even more difficult. One time I remember I pressed a button and the screen locked up and my guy threw it to the wrong base. Heh. But thanks for playing man and congratz on your win.

I really hope they fix this lag and stuff tho. I feel like I waste an hour every week when I do this league. No offense to you guys but in a game where it's all about timing and control and you don't always have it... well... it sucks.

bread's done
Back