CAGLS: Madden 13 Gentlemen's League - We Finished! Thanks for Playing!

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']
While I don't think it's wrong to want to change a 2 point lead to a 3 point lead, I think the logic in not doing it early in the game is just that you expect to score more points. So, your 2 point lead becomes a 9 point lead with another TD tacked onto it (though, I guess then, you could argue you want a 10 point lead...which is what it sounds like happened). I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's definitely aggressive...but I could see it backfiring as well.
[/QUOTE]

Obviously you hope to score again, but that doesn't mean you will. If you failed on the conversion in your scenario, you would still be up by 8, which is not a bad situation to be in. Your opponent still needs 2 scores to take the lead.

I think released players shouldn't be allowed to be picked back up for at least a week(in game). It is possible to get overpaid players cheaper by cutting and resigning.

[quote name='Flyersfan']That punt was awesome, I've never done something like that. But that pass to Jennngs was a killer, my CB's played well in single man coverage up until that point. Actually now that I think about it it wasn't even bad coverage, Jennings is just really good.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Jennings was smothered. Tannehill just actually made a good pass on put the ball one step out of your reach. Again man, terrific game.

[quote name='Blade3D']I think released players shouldn't be allowed to be picked back up for at least a week(in game). It is possible to get overpaid players cheaper by cutting and resigning.[/QUOTE]

Most players are overpaid in the bonus area, if you cut them you still have to eat the bonus. Just ask the new guy in the other league who is saddled with a $16million dollar bonus on a 70's ovr lineman.

By cutting Gore and resigning him to a 1 year deal I take on the risk of not being able to resign him next year, same with my LT and the other handful of guys I did that with. Furthermore the chances that I will be able to resign all of my free agents plus anyone who I cut and resigned is pretty slim.

I fully expected someone to sign Gore and there were even posts in the thread about it less than 2 minutes after I did it. If someone would have signed him it would have sucked, but it would've been my own fault. In fact, the same basic thing happened to me in the other league and I lost a potential stud rookie WR.

hey I was wondering what the rule is with negotiating with your players during the season, is it the only manipulate years like we did during the off season, or is it more of the make your own contract but dont be an idiot about it?

I say we let static due what must be done this season to get that team going.

But being a division rival...

He's a cheater and he should send all his players that are good and cheap to ATL!!

:D

lol love it slofton. it does make sense to do now that I think about it though, with some teams being strapped with insane contracts that don't accurately represent what a madden player of their skill should make.

[quote name='perdition(troy']lol love it slofton. it does make sense to do now that I think about it though, with some teams being strapped with insane contracts that don't accurately represent what a madden player of their skill should make.[/QUOTE]

Getting out of a contract I don't have a problem with. Just not sure how I feel about releasing/resigning. I understood it in the Panthers case, it was a mess not of stacicz making that completely hamstrung him.

Isn't there an order for picking up players that are released during the season? I remember when the Chargers released Lights Out the Bills, I think 0-8 at the time and they had first dibs on him and if they passed on him then the next team in line got him. Not sure if we want to get into that, and especially in the Panthers case I think David Sterning it a bit is a good idea. But we could look into that for people who are releasing a big name for Cap or other reasons.

I have zero problems with a team releasing and then re-signing a player. I know you can't negotiate a long term deal with them, so hopefully it will put a bunch of good players on the free agent market at the end of the season. Plus, real NFL teams do this too... the most recent instance I can think of is the Broncos releasing Caleb Hanie before a bonus kicked in, then resigning him

BTW, i have no plans of doing this. but i think it will benefit those that use and those that don't use this tactic

[quote name='dr0ppinL0adz']I have zero problems with a team releasing and then re-signing a player. I know you can't negotiate a long term deal with them, so hopefully it will put a bunch of good players on the free agent market at the end of the season. Plus, real NFL teams do this too... the most recent instance I can think of is the Broncos releasing Caleb Hanie before a bonus kicked in, then resigning him

BTW, i have no plans of doing this. but i think it will benefit those that use and those that don't use this tactic[/QUOTE]

You get a chance to negotiate with them before they become a free agent which pretty much guarantees you can keep them if you want them.

To me this just seems like another way to get around the salary cap. Aren't we trying to make this more like the NFL? They gotta over pay these guys. I understand in Panthers case an exception being made.

[quote name='dr0ppinL0adz']I have zero problems with a team releasing and then re-signing a player. I know you can't negotiate a long term deal with them, so hopefully it will put a bunch of good players on the free agent market at the end of the season. Plus, real NFL teams do this too... the most recent instance I can think of is the Broncos releasing Caleb Hanie before a bonus kicked in, then resigning him

BTW, i have no plans of doing this. but i think it will benefit those that use and those that don't use this tactic[/QUOTE]

Even that took two days though, where another team could have signed if they wanted.

And billy, you're referring to waivers, which it seems Madden does not have.

[quote name='Blade3D']You get a chance to negotiate with them before they become a free agent which pretty much guarantees you can keep them if you want them.[/QUOTE]

Not true. If you don't have the cap room you won't be able to resign them. With the rules stipulating contract length it will also make it difficult to keep everyone.

I have had several cases where I offer a player the number of years they want and more money but they still walk. There are other factors (you can see them in the negotiations screen) that have an influence on whether a players stays or goes.

Isn't there an order for picking up players that are released during the season? I remember when the Chargers released Lights Out the Bills, I think 0-8 at the time and they had first dibs on him and if they passed on him then the next team in line got him. Not sure if we want to get into that, and especially in the Panthers case I think David Sterning it a bit is a good idea. But we could look into that for people who are releasing a big name for Cap or other reasons.
This is year 2 of the league so there is no order for FA, they are always open d first come first serve.

I'm going to update my trading block in the game tonight, but wanted to give you guys a list of who is available on Miami for trades:

HB: James Starks, Daniel Thomas
WR: Anthony Armstrong, Brian Hartline
TE: Charles Clay
MLB: Jonathan Vilma

I'm looking to improve my offensive line (mainly right side), also looking to get a bit better at OLB. Draft picks are always good too. Obviously none of these guys are big time players other than Vilma, so Vilma I'd expect something pretty good in return. The others however can be good role players if you are looking for some depth. Send me offers if anyone is interested.

well right jza, i was just saying that I think players go on waivers if released during the season. again not to say that I think its necessary for each player, but in my situation, i could release beanie wells if i wanted to move onto my rookie and redman, and in that instance I could see people wanting to do a mock waiver system, other than that its probably pointless

[quote name='staticz']Not true. If you don't have the cap room you won't be able to resign them. With the rules stipulating contract length it will also make it difficult to keep everyone.

I have had several cases where I offer a player the number of years they want and more money but they still walk. There are other factors (you can see them in the negotiations screen) that have an influence on whether a players stays or goes.[/QUOTE]

You can offer your own players any length of contract you want (though if people are cutting big contracts to save money, we may want to reconsider that policy). I don't know. At some point, I feel like the lengths people will go to to gain an advantage in this game just makes the game not fun anymore. It's exhausting trying to put a safeguard in place for every little scheme someone can think of to try to make sure that the game is fair to everyone. If the game functioned like the real NFL, that would be one thing...but it doesn't, and there are numerous loopholes. Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to hold back a bunch of vultures with a broom, lol.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to hold back a bunch of vultures with a broom, lol.[/QUOTE]

And you shouldn't have to. I feel like small things like this should be by example only. If you see a trend from someone clearly using these little tricks to constantly beat the system, they get a strike. You shouldn't HAVE to babysit every owner, even though that's kind of the job of a commissioner, but this is a video game football league, not a billion dollar business. In the end, the player with the greatest skill at the game will win the majority of the time anyway. You could give me the 2000 Rams, I bet there are still people in this league that can beat me with the 2012 Raiders.

[quote name='Blade3D']At some point you just have to accept it the way it is. I'm fine either way really.[/QUOTE]

I agree. But that's also the reason I traded in NHL 13, lol. If "the way it is" is dirty and underhanded, then it stops being worth the effort. I just hope we don't reach that point...because I have had a good time with this year's game, despite its flaws.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I agree. But that's also the reason I traded in NHL 13, lol. If "the way it is" is dirty and underhanded, then it stops being worth the effort. I just hope we don't reach that point...because I have had a good time with this year's game, despite its flaws.[/QUOTE]

Oh man...can't compare this game to NHL. I'll have flashbacks.

[quote name='Wpark83']Oh man...can't compare this game to NHL. I'll have flashbacks.[/QUOTE]

lol...no kidding. This morning I woke up in a tree with a mixing bowl on my head, holding a broom, yelling "No rebounds!!!"

[quote name='n8rockerasu']lol...no kidding. This morning I woke up in a tree with a mixing bowl on my head, holding a broom, yelling "No rebounds!!!"[/QUOTE]

Is that unusual? :whistle2:k

[quote name='n8rockerasu']lol...no kidding. This morning I woke up in a tree with a mixing bowl on my head, holding a broom, yelling "No rebounds!!!"[/QUOTE]

We call that Tuesday in my house.

I see that I was added for the Colts owner.. I got back to college and my roomate forgot to pay the internet bill lol, so this is the first time ive checked CAG.. Internet just turned on and I will accept league invite when I get home.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Just messaged the Steelers. I'm going out of town Friday so hopefully I can work something out with them over the next few nights.[/QUOTE]
He's out of town until Wednesday afternoon, just FYI

[quote name='Dark Rider']Apparently the Texans signed Ty Warren. Good luck. He's your problem now.[/QUOTE]

lol...hope he wasn't asking for a bonus. Otherwise, that's some money pissed away.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']lol...hope he wasn't asking for a bonus. Otherwise, that's some money pissed away.[/QUOTE]

Nah no bonus from FA. He is definitely an upgrade and allowed me to clear some room at DT

[quote name='Docb9110']Nah no bonus from FA. He is definitely an upgrade and allowed me to clear some room at DT[/QUOTE]

TY Warren is glitched he is always hurt bro

[quote name='slofton']Yeah. I think he's undroppable too[/QUOTE]

Yep. The game will not allow you to drop injured players. I was able to drop him from the website, but I don't know if your results will be the same.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']

Yeah, I was wondering what happened with you. There was another guy looking for a spot, but you were in here first, and he does have a spot in the other league...so, I think it's fair to give you the first spot that opens up here.[/QUOTE]

Ok awesome. I'll keep my eye out for an opening, and hopefully I can get in soon. In the meantime if anyone wants to do a practice game I could definitely use the practice. I'm a little rusty.

[quote name='Docb9110']Nah no bonus from FA. He is definitely an upgrade and allowed me to clear some room at DT[/QUOTE]

LOL there was so much talk about this. I am disappointed in you, everyone was saying some fool would pick him up...

[quote name='neworlbush25']I see that I was added for the Colts owner.. I got back to college and my roomate forgot to pay the internet bill lol, so this is the first time ive checked CAG.. Internet just turned on and I will accept league invite when I get home.[/QUOTE]

You have no idea how long ive been waiting for a Colts owner :D
ATL sent in a trade that has been approved by the committee to you.

[quote name='Blade3D']LOL there was so much talk about this. I am disappointed in you, everyone was saying some fool would pick him up...[/QUOTE]

Ill be that guy. Hes not hurt though? Hes playing and his touchness is 90? Im confused

He had a glitch where he was hurt forever on the broncos roster, so the broncos owner finally found a way to drop him on the site even though he was hurt and couldn't play. I'm assuming somehow that made the injury glitch go away, so I'm guess you'll be dropping him and letting the broncos pick him back up by the end of the day lol.

[quote name='perdition(troy']He had a glitch where he was hurt forever on the broncos roster, so the broncos owner finally found a way to drop him on the site even though he was hurt and couldn't play. I'm assuming somehow that made the injury glitch go away, so I'm guess you'll be dropping him and letting the broncos pick him back up by the end of the day lol.[/QUOTE]

DarkRIDER beat me good last night with a few sacks! LOL, I dont think he is hurting. I wasnt aware that this was an issue and Rider is a good guy so if he wants him, I WILL ABSOLUTELY DROP HIM AND GIVE HIM BACK!

Rider, let me know man and hes yours.

[quote name='Docb9110']Ill be that guy. Hes not hurt though? Hes playing and his touchness is 90? Im confused[/QUOTE]

Did he play? Because he won't show up as injured in the "injury report", but only in the roster as injured.

Edit: I got your pm and I don't want you to "drop him so I can pick him up". If you want to keep him than your more than welcome. I was just warning you that he will never play.

Edit 2: I just read the last few posts. I now understand what you're talking about. If you some how fixed it, he's all yours. No need to send him back. I have a really solid line as it is.

I just wanted to do right by Rider is all. He says I can have him and I will check this evening when I leave the office to see if I did indeed get screwed. I could swear I took control of him on the DLINE last night a few times though.

And Ninja, I just realized man, what part of Texas are you in? Always good to see fellow Texans on CAG!!! ....Aside from Blade who Ive known for like 15 years now! LOL

EDIT: On that note, blade and I are hanging out tonite and he has played online with 4-5 people on the same team....Anyone want to try some COOP Madden?

[quote name='perdition(troy']I'd be down for some COOP madden tonight.[/QUOTE]

Aight man, Sounds good! Anyone Else? I think we can actually do up to 5-6? Dont quote me, im not sure.

Anyone else have any information about it?

[quote name='Docb9110']Aight man, Sounds good! Anyone Else? I think we can actually do up to 5-6? Dont quote me, im not sure.

Anyone else have any information about it?[/QUOTE]

I'd actually be down for this, too. What time were you guys thinking of playing?

bread's done
Back