CAGLS: Madden 13 Gentlemen's League - We Finished! Thanks for Playing!

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']After our discussion requiring that all teams have 53 players on their roster, it was brought to my attention today that there are 12 user teams that have less than 53 players...and 3 user teams that have 48 or less. Here's a link with the specific numbers.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuW-8BY-0XxAdGFUaXRfSmV2a3VxTGg5Z0lrY1lnN2c&hl=en#gid=0

We need some explanations here. I would guess that teams with a lot of cap space just haven't bothered to go into free agency. But teams maxing out their cap and undercutting the 53 player roster standard just isn't acceptable. Everyone should be carrying 53 players.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, never paid attention to it. I'll sign two guys in the morning.

[quote name='JoelyPoley']Yea I didn't know what to do with a pick on the 20, so I ran it and he scored. I felt like a dick for trying to run out the clock lol[/QUOTE]

Understandable, but yeah...running the ball is all you can do, especially when your opponent is turning the ball over. Nobody should ever get upset about someone running the ball. And if they do, they would be the ones in the wrong. That's all anyone needs to worry about.

As for the roster issue, yeah, I figured the teams that were close was due to trades. It's really the teams at 46-48 players that alarms me the most, as that looks a bit more intentional. In case anyone is wondering, I don't expect the Panthers to fix their roster immediately. If staticz can just do his best to get the roster under control by the start of season 3, that's good enough for me.

i do have a question. ur up big in the 4th ur running and they cant stop it ur about to score times not even close to running out.

options are FG punt or TD its like 1st and goal type situation. u dont want to fee like a cocky prick either but u dont want to run up the score either

I didn't know we had to have 53 I cut players that really just sat on the bench so thats why I didn't have 53 people.

No, I never intended it to sound like he just kept trying to score. Like I said, I should've conceded the game earlier, but I didn't. One of those late scores came from a pick 6, and my horrid run defense accounted for the others. But it wasn't like he kept on passing to put up more points.

[quote name='DVO21']i do have a question. ur up big in the 4th ur running and they cant stop it ur about to score times not even close to running out.

options are FG punt or TD its like 1st and goal type situation. u dont want to fee like a cocky prick either but u dont want to run up the score either[/QUOTE]

When in doubt, run the ball. If you can't kneel to end the game, run the ball. If they give you a 4th down in field goal range, kick the field goal. It's crazy to keep explaining this, but the idea is to play completely minimalist, low risk football. Just take your downs, move the clock along, and let the game end.

[quote name='GpNinja']I didn't know we had to have 53 I cut players that really just sat on the bench so thats why I didn't have 53 people.[/QUOTE]

Well, it wasn't officially stated, but once discussed, it was decided that it's really just something that makes sense. Otherwise, it basically allows teams to circumvent the salary cap by only paying for the minimum number of players.

Can I get some opinions on this situation? I ended up punting, but I debated it for a while.

4th and 4 at my opponent's 47. I think it was 21-14 in the late 2nd quarter or early 3rd. I hadn't forced him to punt on any of his drives yet. He ultimately went up 28-14 and added more after that.

If I think I can beat my opponent once on a fourth down and I am on his territory and I think it will be a gamebreaker I'll go for it once. I won't go for fourth twice in a game, but if they haven't been stopping a money play of some sort I will give it a shot.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']No, I never intended it to sound like he just kept trying to score. Like I said, I should've conceded the game earlier, but I didn't. One of those late scores came from a pick 6, and my horrid run defense accounted for the others. But it wasn't like he kept on passing to put up more points.[/QUOTE]

I can understand the temptation when you're losing that big, you're just looking for a highlight to feel good about it.

[quote name='Dark Rider']Hey Bucs owner! I can't accept your trade because your roster would exceed the maximum players. The Decker trade.[/QUOTE]

Going in to cut someone in a few minutes! Good thing you said this before I went to bed haha

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Can I get some opinions on this situation? I ended up punting, but I debated it for a while.

4th and 4 at my opponent's 47. I think it was 21-14 in the late 2nd quarter or early 3rd. I hadn't forced him to punt on any of his drives yet. He ultimately went up 28-14 and added more after that.[/QUOTE]

I probably would have punted but I can definitely see going it for there, opponent 47 yard line is always one of those no man land areas to me.

Just ran through all of the Panthers contracts. Most of them are reasonable but the bonuses are out of this world. Not sure how I'm going to get under the cap and sign six guys but I'll give it a whirl.

Updated trade block:

(League leader in sacks thus far with 16) LE Cliff Avril: Speed 81 ACC 87 TAK 77 POW 78 BSH 88 FMV 93 PMV 80 PUR 87 PRC 80
RE Kyle Vanden Bosch STR 87 AWR 90 TAK 81 BSH 82 PMV 86 PUR 81 PRC 89
FB James Casey 85 SPD 82 ACC 86 AGI 83 TRK 79 CTH 86 CIT 82 SPC 87 RTE 80 RLS 83 RBK 74 IBL 71
RB J BEst SPD 96 ACC 95 AGI 93 ELU 85 BCV 91 CAR 86 JKM 85 SPM 85
WR Josh Cribs CTH 76 CIT 74 SPD 91 JMP 90 AGI 96 ACC 96 ELU 97 JKM 97 SPM 97 BCV 97 Return 98
WR Kris Durham CTH 83 CIT 85
WR Titus Young CTH 83 CIT 83 SPC 83 RTE 85 SPD 93 AGI 95 ACC 97 ELU 95 JKM 92
TE Brandon Pettigrew CTH 86 CIT 85 RTE 82 RLS 86 RBK 65 IBL 68
TE Evan Moore CTH 77 CIT 77 SPC 87

In all honesty if you see anyone you might want on my roster in general just hit me up.

bengals and brown scheduled for friday evening at 530 central 630 eastern. cant wait to play with matt

Had to feed my daughter and get her to bed, but I'm about to advance us now. Before I do, say hello to the new strike policy. If you think it's harsh, it's supposed to be. No excuses anymore.

New Strike Policy (in effect as of now)

Anyone who does something that is against league policy as stated in the OP, or does something that is deemed excessively dickish will receive a strike. Punishment will begin after the second strike and will double with each offence. Punishment will be as follows:

2 strikes = 1 game suspension
3 strikes = 2 game suspension
4 strikes = 4 game suspension
5 strikes = 8 game suspension
6 strikes = 1 season suspension (and you probably don't want to come back)

Strikes are permanent and carry over from season to season.

Basically, you get one freebie and after that, you have to pay the piper. The consequences may seem stiff, but I firmly believe that it is not that difficult to play the game with respect and decency. If it's something you have to actively think about, then you might want to re-evaluate some things.

All right, we've advanced to Week 4. Games will be due by 1/14.

Also, Snakemaster has finally been booted as the Colts owner and neworlbush25 has an invite.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Is there a reason I can't resign any of my 1 year pickups?[/QUOTE]

You'll get a crack at them in the offseason.

Somehow I made it work and am fairly certain my team is actually a bit better. Panthers are at 53 and have cap space to spare. :D

[quote name='staticz']You'll get a crack at them in the offseason.

Somehow I made it work and am fairly certain my team is actually a bit better. Panthers are at 53 and have cap space to spare. :D[/QUOTE]

Impressive. Too bad you still have Alex Smith. ;)

[quote name='perdition(troy']Do I have to bid against other teams on them or do I get a first shot type of deal static?[/QUOTE]

You get the first shot. It's been awhile but I think you get 2 weeks to get them signed and then they will hit the open market.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Impressive. Too bad you still have Alex Smith. ;)[/QUOTE]

He definitely isn't Cam Newton, but I don't need much of a QB anyway.

Great. We advanced and I just put in madden and was gonna wait for jza.

fucking people just need their advancement so quick. fucking have some patience.

Dang the Lions are number 1 in passing, rushing, receiving and defense (tackles) for " this season". Hopefully I play you this season too see how I far off.

[quote name='ballinhun8']Great. We advanced and I just put in madden and was gonna wait for jza.

fucking people just need their advancement so quick. fucking have some patience.[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure it was jza that said he most likely wouldn't be able to play.

[quote name='jza1218']The thing is, I can't guarantee what time I'll be home. I'm at the mercy of my boss and the train. Some nights its 230, other nights its after 3. Without being able to guarantee a time, I'm not sure how much sense that's gonna make.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']All right, we've advanced to Week 4. Games will be due by 1/14.

Also, Snakemaster has finally been booted as the Colts owner and neworlbush25 has an invite.[/QUOTE]

Is the Falcons/Colts trade still good?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']You'll have to forgive us for being a bit gunshy about taking new members who are unsure how good they are. Chetty and Hemingway played here in the first season, and went a combined 29-1 against the rest of the league. That's not to say that there aren't good players here, but if we bring in people who are virtually unbeatable, it makes the league pointless.

Honestly, if you'd care to "try out", I wouldn't mind scrimmaging with you some time (though, if I'm remembering my own Madden score, I'm pretty sure I was at like 540 with a 17-7 record recently...so 600 is pretty damn good). We're definitely not against having good people here, but like I said...if you're head and shoulders above the rest of the league, it turns into a waste of time for everyone else.

Go rip Doom's brother a new one! Do it! Do it! Do it! lol :lol:[/QUOTE]

I played my first game in the other league and Og whitewidow whooped me. I don't know if that gives you a better idea of my skill level?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Odd conversation to be having in the middle of this, lol, but why not? I'm really liking it so far. I haven't watched wrestling in years, and I honestly haven't felt that there has been anyone too entertaining since The Rock left (though, now that he's "back", we'll see where it goes). And really, as the game points out, wrestling was at its pinnacle in the late 90s/early 2000s when WWE and WCW were going head to head.

WWE 13 does a great job of capturing that. I just got the game a few days ago and just started playing through the Attitude Era, and it's great. Reliving those awesome matches and trying to recreate their big moments is fun as hell. And THQ bringing back a lot of the wrestlers from that era (not to mention ones you can download and share) just brings so much to the game.

I was really big into the nWo, so being able to download Hogan and Scott Hall (Kevin Nash is already in the game) and all the others is really great. To me, it's like what 2K did with NBA 2K11/2K12. It's kinda feels like playing an old game with all the people you remember from your childhood...but with the luxury of modern video game hardware. Not only is it a good game, but it has that nostalgia appeal as well.[/QUOTE]

Yea well that I what I thought as well. Remember I asked about NHL 13 and a lot of people from the forums were saying it was nowhere near what it has been in the past. I decided to take it back and was going to get WWE 13 because like you I was a pretty big fan of the NWO (btw awesome rise and fall documfil on it on Netflix now that tells the whole story) but when I went to Wal Mart to trade it I literally had WWE in my hand when my wife was like "ohh look Far Cry 3 and I heard it got amazing reviews" haha so I switched them. I definitely don't regret it as Far Cry is freaking amazing but am still debating on getting it. I asked her a few days later why she quasi persuaded me to switch and she said she couldn't see me playing WWE as much and as intently as far cry. Surprisingly compelling argument actually.

Like I said next bonus check though I may snag WWE. How's multiplayer? Lol

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']Had to feed my daughter and get her to bed, but I'm about to advance us now. Before I do, say hello to the new strike policy. If you think it's harsh, it's supposed to be. No excuses anymore.

New Strike Policy (in effect as of now)

Anyone who does something that is against league policy as stated in the OP, or does something that is deemed excessively dickish will receive a strike. Punishment will begin after the second strike and will double with each offence. Punishment will be as follows:

2 strikes = 1 game suspension
3 strikes = 2 game suspension
4 strikes = 4 game suspension
5 strikes = 8 game suspension
6 strikes = 1 season suspension (and you probably don't want to come back)

Strikes are permanent and carry over from season to season.

Basically, you get one freebie and after that, you have to pay the piper. The consequences may seem stiff, but I firmly believe that it is not that difficult to play the game with respect and decency. If it's something you have to actively think about, then you might want to re-evaluate some things.[/QUOTE]

this isnt to bad ive never heard any issues on me about being a dick. but i also try my hardest not to be a douche when playing the game. thread wise i mighth ave a few striked lol but im not the only one. ;)

I'd like to check the teams out but can't unless I'm in the league from looks of it. Panthers sound like a lot of work.

[quote name='pdm76']I'd like to check the teams out but can't unless I'm in the league from looks of it. Panthers sound like a lot of work.[/QUOTE]

Chargers are the only team open currently. They are pretty much untouched, Rivers, Gates, Matthews, etc.

Does anyone know how to accept trades on the website? Do you still have to be on at the same time? Or can it be accepted anytime?

hey n8 noticed the colts info was empty on the op grabsed his info for u from the official league

Colts | neworlbush25 | neworlbush25 | EST | Most weekday nights, wednesday during the day, mornings till 10, weekends by appointment

Great. We advanced and I just put in madden and was gonna wait for jza.ing people just need their advancement so quick. ing have some patience.
There were how many days to get the game in? Be glad the deadline isn't like it is in the other league, we would have advanced the minute the bears/skins game was done. n8 if anything is a very easy going commish that tends to let people that didn't bother scheduling games until the last minute to get them in.

[quote name='pdm76']I'll take Chargers if their still open.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Welcome to the league! Just make sure to post the info listed in the OP, and I am sure Nate will get you an invite.

San Diego Chargers | pdm76 | XBL Gamertag pdm0376 | MST | M-Thursday 8 am - 11 am. Friday - Mostly all day / Saturday & Sunday - Mostly all day until 6 pm Varies

[quote name='Dark Rider']Chargers are the only team open currently. They are pretty much untouched, Rivers, Gates, Matthews, etc.

Does anyone know how to accept trades on the website? Do you still have to be on at the same time? Or can it be accepted anytime?[/QUOTE]

It can be accepted any time.

Doc, I'm going to send you that trade. You can accept through the website.

[quote name='pdm76']San Diego Chargers | pdm76 | XBL Gamertag pdm0376 | MST | M-Thursday 8 am - 11 am. Friday - Mostly all day / Saturday & Sunday - Mostly all day until 6 pm Varies
[/QUOTE]

Great, nice to have that already handled. Just disregard what I said in the PM (well, other than reading through the rules). I'll get your invite sent out sometime today. Welcome to the league!

bread's done
Back