CAGLS: Madden 13 Gentlemen's League - We Finished! Thanks for Playing!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Wow...I can't even process the Madden logic that comes up with that schedule. As far as I remember, the real NFL schedule doesn't have any teams play in the preseason that play in the regular season...let alone week 1. That is so bad, lol.[/QUOTE]

isnt there usually a division game in the preseason? I feel like the Pats play Miami or Buffalo almost every year in preseason at somepoint. But either way, never seen the week 4 preseason opponent be the week 1 regular season opponent...wow.

Anyway, Bucs/Falcons likely happening tomorrow afternoon.

So I was doing a offline franchise and one of the recruit news was that a Georgia QB threw for 612 and ran for 120 in his opening game. That's one performance I'd love to watch.

The new-look Chargers beat the Steelers 24-0!

Cutler - 10 for 12, 227 Yds, 2 TDs, 0 INTs
King Collins (Loving him!) - 14 Carries, 69 Yds, 1 TD, 1 Catch, 56 Yds, 1 TD
Antonio Gates - 5 Catches, 60 Yds
Vincent Brown - 1 Catches, 56 Yds, 1 TD

5 Team Sacks (Melvin Ingram w/ 2)
3 Team INTs (New CB Tim Jennings w/ 2, Rookie Safety Marcus Davis w/ 1)

Good game.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']This might seem random, but I think I saw Steggy post in his tradelist that Wii U and PS3 were the only consoles he had left.

edit - Yep: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340566[/QUOTE]

Wow...ok. Well, I'll wait for official word from him, but that's pretty crazy. I can't imagine getting rid of my 360 to have a Wii U. I mean, I'm not anti-Nintendo by any means. But that just doesn't seem worth it.

[quote name='Zolor23']The new-look Chargers beat the Steelers 24-0!

Good game.[/QUOTE]

LMAO...more importantly, as the Twitter feed indicates "Sunshine Candyhips has notched his first win as coach of the Chargers, and win two isn't far behind." Bravo, sir!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Wow...ok. Well, I'll wait for official word from him, but that's pretty crazy. I can't imagine getting rid of my 360 to have a Wii U. I mean, I'm not anti-Nintendo by any means. But that just doesn't seem worth it.[/QUOTE]

I actually traded my PS3 in for a Wii U. I'm not sure if it was worth it or not, though, because I never played the PS3 (but I am missing it right now for the new Show), and the Wii U has been gathering dust for a little while now. Still, there's no way I'd ditch 360 for either of them.

[quote name='Zolor23']The new-look Chargers beat the Steelers 24-0!

Good game.[/QUOTE]

I really hated trading away Jennings. He always seemed like he played well above his ratings.

bengals lose to the reskins in an ugly 42-3 loss

redskins defense did alot of work in this one win 3 fumbles and 5 picks and 2 sacks...

GG joely i wish it was as good of a game as the preseason just couldnt do much with the offense to keep myself in this one with alot of random turnovers. good luck the rest of the season

EDIT: is there any chance at all of another season in league? i know the plan is not to do that but if theres enough people that want to maybe we still could.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Madden, the Bears (my first opponent) have the absolute worst offense in the league, but the best defense (32 /1). And I have the 5th best offense, and 28th ranked D.

Apparently they're just going by overalls, because my O was pretty ass a lot of last year. And the D was a lot better...

[quote name='DVO21']EDIT: is there any chance at all of another season in league? i know the plan is not to do that but if theres enough people that want to maybe we still could.[/QUOTE]

I just don't know if there's going to be time, mathematically. I doubt I'll want to play all the way up to the launch of the next game...maybe EXTREMELY casually. But I really wouldn't be putting in much effort at all at that point.

Crazy game with the bears ends up in the Seahawks' favor, 31-28. Started 14-0 Bears (Cribbs fumbled the opening kickoff of the season! Ack!), quickly made it 14-14 after a long Boldin TD, then an INT and a quick score. Stayed 14-14 for a while while both QBs decided to play ping-pong-picks, throwing at least 4 INTs total in the last 3-4 minutes of the half. Gave up a bullshit TD on the final play of the 1st half (cover 4 in Dollar--receiver just splits everyone and scores for 60-70 yds. Derp...)

Seahawks come out quickly with a long Lynch TD run tying the game, then the Bears come right back to score, 28-21. Cribbs redeems himself with a kickoff return tying up the game again at 28-28. A costly INT with less than 2 minutes remaining puts the seahawks into good position to run down the clock to about :45 and kick the go-ahead FG, which bounced off the upright and in. YIKES. Bears couldn't get a miracle play and time ran out.

GG Bears. Your O was definitely better throughout the entire game. 3 of my 4 TDs were from long/lucky plays and I think the rest of my points were from turnovers. I blew a lot of chances to score on those turnovers, too, but it all worked out in the end.

I found a copy of ESPN NFL 2K5 (Xbox) at a thrift store for a dollar yesterday. You guys have no idea how excited I was. Even today, that game is still great! Now back to first person football. :)

What in the hell is wrong with this game.

I was out on Thursday with my fiancé so I didn't see that Baker was released(and that we advanced) until Friday. Went on the website at work, didn't see Baker. Figured the website had some type of glitch. Got home late last night and forgot to check the actual game. Got on just now and Baker is nowhere to be seen. I mean, ultimately I have no one to blame but myself, but I had circumstances where I could not get on the game or website and sign him.

Stupid game. So I guess all undrafted free agents just disappear?

[quote name='Flyersfan']What in the hell is wrong with this game.

I was out on Thursday with my fiancé so I didn't see that Baker was released(and that we advanced) until Friday. Went on the website at work, didn't see Baker. Figured the website had some type of glitch. Got home late last night and forgot to check the actual game. Got on just now and Baker is nowhere to be seen. I mean, ultimately I have no one to blame but myself, but I had circumstances where I could not get on the game or website and sign him.

Stupid game. So I guess all undrafted free agents just disappear?[/QUOTE]

The game does seem to purge FA at different times, I thought it was only at the beginning of the new league year or post-FA/Post-draft, though.

[quote name='Lexxon']According to Madden, the Bears (my first opponent) have the absolute worst offense in the league, but the best defense (32 /1). And I have the 5th best offense, and 28th ranked D.

Apparently they're just going by overalls, because my O was pretty ass a lot of last year. And the D was a lot better...[/QUOTE]
im not a hundred percent but I'm pretty sure its based off yardage. In another league I went essentially undefeated causing at least 4 turnovers a game and had the 21st ranked defense and offense.

There are definitely several free agents who were in the pool during preseason that weren't there after we advanced. I had a situation where the game dropped a CB I had grabbed during FA free for all because I had 54 players when we advanced. Once I was able to rid myself of Ty Warren, the CB I had was gone. I think the situation is that that undrafted rookie FA who were not signed after preseason simply disappear. That's speculation, but it matches the observations.

[quote name='HooRox']There are definitely several free agents who were in the pool during preseason that weren't there after we advanced. I had a situation where the game dropped a CB I had grabbed during FA free for all because I had 54 players when we advanced. Once I was able to rid myself of Ty Warren, the CB I had was gone. I think the situation is that that undrafted rookie FA who were not signed after preseason simply disappear. That's speculation, but it matches the observations.[/QUOTE]
during my 2player career mode with tiger we noticed the computer dropping rookie corners at 82 or 83 with superstar development. so there's definitely weird things a plenty with this game.

Yeah, sorry. I don't know what to say about that. Sucks...but I guess them's the breaks. Circumstances don't really matter when something happens that is out of any of our control. You got Maddened.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, sorry. I don't know what to say about that. Sucks...but I guess them's the breaks. Circumstances don't really matter when something happens that is out of any of our control. You got Maddened.[/QUOTE]
I remember in the other league I was scouting this CB and later on in the season he just disappeared but luckly he showed up in the draft.

Tebow does it again! Down 14-10, about 40 seconds left and no timeouts, Tebow drives down the field and throws the winning TD pass to the newly acquired Roy Williams with 0:00 on the game clock. Jets beats the Pats 17-14. GG xboxchromosome... I wasnt even sure if I was going to get that last play off. Right when I pushed A, my controller was shaking from the hit on Tebow

Me and matt young were playing at 2 central when my xbox froze early into the first quater. I still haven't heard back from him but i am sure i will. Just an update.

[quote name='DVO21']lol tebows clutch mode is ridiculous[/QUOTE]

hahaha seriously that dude is unstoppable in the last 2 minutes. I don't know if the clutch factor is just a trait or actually has a number rating, but he's a whole different QB in the 4th quarter. I think my last 4 or 5 regular season/postseason games have all been nailbiters

[quote name='GamerDude316']Nice to see that, in the league's final year, some guys have already resigned contracts. What a convenient way to get more cap room![/QUOTE]

I noticed that too. I'm confused about how the extensions work though (never really looked at it too closely). I know for a guy in the final year of his deal, the longest contract the game will let you offer is a 6 year deal. So, does it treat the last year of their old deal like the first year in the new deal? Otherwise, it shouldn't have any affect on the current season, right?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I noticed that too. I'm confused about how the extensions work though (never really looked at it too closely). I know for a guy in the final year of his deal, the longest contract the game will let you offer is a 6 year deal. So, does it treat the last year of their old deal like the first year in the new deal? Otherwise, it shouldn't have any affect on the current season, right?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it treats the first year of the new deal as the last year of the old deal. It definitely affects your cap too. I remember last season when I signed Freeman to a new deal in the season it gave me extra cap room immediately.

Ok, I got official word from steggy, and as expected, he's still not able to play. So, Kaster, you're free to play the CPU Packers whenever you get a chance.

[quote name='GamerDude316']I'm pretty sure it treats the first year of the new deal as the last year of the old deal. It definitely affects your cap too. I remember last season when I signed Freeman to a new deal in the season it gave me extra cap room immediately.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DVO21']that is correct n8 new contracts dont effect current contracts in any sort of way[/QUOTE]

Ok...what you guys are saying is conflicting, lol. I get what GamerDude is saying...but I don't know why the game would do something like that. That's almost like automatic contract restructuring...essentially allowing you to get out of the final year of a player's contract (ie. the most expensive year) by offering an extension...thus putting him back at year one (ie. the cheapest year). For this to be true, the salary for the player getting the extension in the current season would probably drop several million dollars though. Is this what we're seeing?

What DVO is saying is the way it SHOULD work. Signing a player to a 6 year extension shouldn't change the final year of his current contract (without restructuring). If it actually does what GamerDude is saying, yeah, it's really lame to do that in the final season of the league. But I don't know that much can be done about it. Might as well just allow it and expect everyone to be offering their expiring contracts long-term deals.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']Ok, I got official word from steggy, and as expected, he's still not able to play. So, Kaster, you're free to play the CPU Packers whenever you get a chance.[/QUOTE]
i assume the same goes to me as well?

[quote name='billymcdugal']i assume the same goes to me as well?[/QUOTE]

Can't remember who you're playing, but the Rams don't have an owner at all (siradam is just squatting them). So, yeah...definitely play the CPU. And the Browns are out of town for week 1. All 3 of these teams are on autopilot and ready for CPU games.

49ers beat the eagles pretty bad. i couldnt stop the 1 running play he had and foster breaks tackles left and right. gg yo soy.

What the rule with WRs at running back? he had this screen play where he would have welker in the backfield as the RB and would just screen to him, either way i couldnt stop him but i just wasnt sure if that was allowed, casue if it is i might make some changes in my depth chart

Falcons beat the Bucs 55-7. Gamerdude got hit with the bad bounces this game. Falcons let a few big plays through, but the bend, don't break defense held its own. It also seemed like VJax had a grudge against his old team. As a side note. I really need to work on the running game. Not sure if Jones isn't that great or probably just me.

Falcons:
M. Ryan 10/14 3 TDs 1 int 272 yards
T. Jones 25 att 76 yards 3 TDs
V. Jackson 3 rec 131 yards 2 TDs
Falcons D: 6 ints 2 FFs

Ravens beat Raiders 14-13. This was a close game all the way. It looked like I was in for another season of road woes as the Raiders returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown. I struggled on my first couple possessions until I broke a 69 yard TD run. That ended up being my rushing total for the day as my line struggled to keep B.J. Raji out of the backfield. Luckily I was able to hold the Raiders to 2 field goals the rest of the way including a critical goal line stand where they had a 1st and goal at the 1 or 2 yard line. Joe Flacco and my first round draft pick bailed me out at the end with a short TD pass to take the lead with around 30 seconds left. My defense didn't give up a lot of yards, but I was disappointed by all the dropped interceptions in the first half. I think I had around 5 of them, 2 of them were likely touchdowns. The Raiders returned the favor though by dropping a few in the second half. There was only 1 turnover all game and it was in the final seconds as Archie Urban heaved the ball into a crowd downfield.

I also wanted to add that the Raiders have a fullback as their #1 and #3 TE on the depth chart. I know fullbacks were not specifically discussed as not being able to be put there, but it has the same effect as putting TEs out wide when looking at his chosen personnel for the next play. It would show 3 RB or even 4 RB plays instead of showing there was 1 or 2 guys lined up at TE. It wasn't a big problem for me, but if we aren't allowing TEs out wide, I don't think this should be allowed for the same reason.

[quote name='scrub0bk']49ers beat the eagles pretty bad. i couldnt stop the 1 running play he had and foster breaks tackles left and right. gg yo soy.

What the rule with WRs at running back? he had this screen play where he would have welker in the backfield as the RB and would just screen to him, either way i couldnt stop him but i just wasnt sure if that was allowed, casue if it is i might make some changes in my depth chart[/QUOTE]

There's some plays that automatically put them there. I think the Lions has a similar package.

[quote name='scrub0bk']49ers beat the eagles pretty bad. i couldnt stop the 1 running play he had and foster breaks tackles left and right. gg yo soy.

What the rule with WRs at running back? he had this screen play where he would have welker in the backfield as the RB and would just screen to him, either way i couldnt stop him but i just wasnt sure if that was allowed, casue if it is i might make some changes in my depth chart[/QUOTE]
welker is my default 3rd down back

[quote name='slofton']There's some plays that automatically put them there. I think the Lions has a similar package.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but to intentionally run screens to a WR as a halfback on more than one occasion is a different story.

[quote name='Yo Soy El Tiger']welker is my default 3rd down back[/QUOTE]

No i understand, i just didnt know we were allowed to have the WR as the 3rd down back, cause if so i plan on doing the same since most of the time its a passing play

[quote name='scrub0bk']

Unless it is a designed play, I would say no. That sounds similar to putting a WR at TE.

[quote name='slofton']There's some plays that automatically put them there. I think the Lions has a similar package.[/QUOTE]

I've never seen that play in my playbook =/

And welker as the 3rd down back makes absolutely no sense. Ah w/e though it'll get figured out at some point. I'm surprised we have so many people still active at this point though that's for sure. The warmer it gets the less I'm caring lol

I don't think there's any reason to put a receiver as your third down back, it just plain cheap. Worse than putting a receiver at tight end. Most of the time you have a linebacker covering the halfback.

i run the lions playbook

bread's done
Back