CAGLS: Madden 13 Gentlemen's League - We Finished! Thanks for Playing!

i think the cheapest thing ninja did was he lined up in shotgun 3 wr 1 te 1 rb audibled in a set where it would be 2wr 2 te 1rb so his wr steve smith was on the line as a TE tried to do the pop pass to him but he got shut down which even though it got shut down it was still cheap. thats why i play ranked matches still and watch to youtube videos becuz u have to becuz if not someone will try to sneak that shit on u at one point. the anything to win method

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']
1. Passing to TEs and RBs...it's just this fucking game, man. Like I said in my game against Konfusion, people are gameplanning for it now. When you go into the draft using your first two picks on speedy TEs and switch your playbook to one that is TE heavy, what else do you call it? I don't know how you regulate it though ("You can only throw to your TE 3 times per game"?). It's a broken part of the game, and people are way past the point of having any shame in using it to the fullest. The best I can tell you is be glad we're almost done with this damn game...and hope they fix it in Madden 25.[/QUOTE]

I am so tired of talking about this and defending myself. I used the New England playbook in one single game. I practiced using it the couple days prior to the Titans game and thought it would be an interesting fit for my personnel, but had never used it in a real game before, only practice mode. I haven't gone back and used that playbook again because I didn't want anyone else to accuse me of being a cheap player and honestly, I am more comfortable with the playbook I normally use. I didn't use my first 2 picks on TEs, that is a lie. I drafted a tight end with my first pick because I traded away Vincent Jackson so I could move up to #6 in the draft and hoped to get the RB that ended up going to San Diego at #1. I made those intentions clear to a few people. My backup plan if that didn't work out was to either take one of the top cornerbacks or take the top TE to replace the production I lost from Vincent Jackson. The RB and CBs were gone, so I took the TE. I had a later 1st rounder and three 2nd round picks. I chose a second TE with my third 2nd round pick not only because he was a guy who could stretch the field, but because he was a good blocking TE(77 RBK and 71 IBL), which I wanted in my #2 TE. I took a 3rd TE in the 4th round because my draftable players list was picked clean and I figured maybe I could use him as trade bait or just have him in case of an injury. Two TE sets are in every playbook, so wanting more than one is nothing out of the ordinary.

If you think I am a cheesy player who can only succeed by having a good TE, then you obviously didn't pay attention last season. Torrey Smith and Vincent Jackson had over 2500 yards and 28 touchdowns between the 2 of them. They were by far my 2 leading receivers. Only reason I traded away Vincent Jackson was because I really wanted to get that RB so I could have a worthwhile running game. When that didn't happen, I needed to replace Jackson's production and took the stud TE of the draft because I wasn't crazy about any of the WRs at #6 overall and thought I could get a decent one with one of my 2nd round picks. with my second first round pick, I took a cornerback who I was surprised to see fall that far and couldn't pass up. By the time my 2nd round picks came around, all the worthwhile WRs on my board were gone, so I took a Center and Guard, then took a 2nd TE with my 5th pick in the draft.

Again, I didn't do anything against the rules and if I wanted to use the NE playbook more, I could. If anyone wants to know, my offensive playbook I use in almost every game is New Orleans. The reason why my running back is 2nd on my team in catches is because there is a toss play in that playbook that gets counted as a pass, probably because it's technically a forward pass, but it is a toss play. I like to use this play once or twice a game. I have only used a couple other offensive playbooks in my time here and those were San Francisco and Baltimore. I use the Baltimore defensive playbook and have only used 1 other playbook and I believe that was the 46 playbook and I only used it a single game to see how it would work trying to stop one of the many speed backs in this league. It didn't work very well, so I went back to the Ravens D playbook.

I like to think I spread the ball around pretty well and my stat lines are comparable to many teams in this league. If you want to drag someones name into this conversation, then why not take a look at season stats and find one of the teams who look worse than mine. They know who they are and I'm sure you do also, yet you keep wanting to act like I am some big abuser compared to everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
well been doing some research on madden 25 found some very interesting things.

new infinity engine aka infinity engine 2... from what i read there going to fix problem with running into ur lineman and just falling over. making it so RB and push and guide lineman to the blocks like in real life. also they are going to try and make it so that power backs arent quite as usless bring the power game back to madden.

CCM might have a new name aka connected franchise

defense is suppose to have better awareness play recognition and play more to there skill level along with other great features. that is if they really do put them into the game of course.

one thing im really unsure of is the run free stuff with the 30 more ball carrier movements to include combos.

it will be great to see some of these features put in the game and work correctly i guess only time will tell to see how things go... u never really know what EA will do

[quote name='Konfusion']I am so tired of talking about this and defending myself. I used the New England playbook in one single game. I practiced using it the couple days prior to the Titans game and thought it would be an interesting fit for my personnel, but had never used it in a real game before, only practice mode. I haven't gone back and used that playbook again because I didn't want anyone else to accuse me of being a cheap player and honestly, I am more comfortable with the playbook I normally use. I didn't use my first 2 picks on TEs, that is a lie. I drafted a tight end with my first pick because I traded away Vincent Jackson so I could move up to #6 in the draft and hoped to get the RB that ended up going to San Diego at #1. I made those intentions clear to a few people. My backup plan if that didn't work out was to either take one of the top cornerbacks or take the top TE to replace the production I lost from Vincent Jackson. The RB and CBs were gone, so I took the TE. I had a later 1st rounder and three 2nd round picks. I chose a second TE with my third 2nd round pick not only because he was a guy who could stretch the field, but because he was a good blocking TE(77 RBK and 71 IBL), which I wanted in my #2 TE. I took a 3rd TE in the 4th round because my draftable players list was picked clean and I figured maybe I could use him as trade bait or just have him in case of an injury. Two TE sets are in every playbook, so wanting more than one is nothing out of the ordinary.

If you think I am a cheesy player who can only succeed by having a good TE, then you obviously didn't pay attention last season. Torrey Smith and Vincent Jackson had over 2500 yards and 28 touchdowns between the 2 of them. They were by far my 2 leading receivers. Only reason I traded away Vincent Jackson was because I really wanted to get that RB so I could have a worthwhile running game. When that didn't happen, I needed to replace Jackson's production and took the stud TE of the draft because I wasn't crazy about any of the WRs at #6 overall and thought I could get a decent one with one of my 2nd round picks. with my second first round pick, I took a cornerback who I was surprised to see fall that far and couldn't pass up. By the time my 2nd round picks came around, all the worthwhile WRs on my board were gone, so I took a Center and Guard, then took a 2nd TE with my 5th pick in the draft.

Again, I didn't do anything against the rules and if I wanted to use the NE playbook more, I could. If anyone wants to know, my offensive playbook I use in almost every game is New Orleans. The reason why my running back is 2nd on my team in catches is because there is a toss play in that playbook that gets counted as a pass, probably because it's technically a forward pass, but it is a toss play. I like to use this play once or twice a game. I have only used a couple other offensive playbooks in my time here and those were San Francisco and Baltimore. I use the Baltimore defensive playbook and have only used 1 other playbook and I believe that was the 46 playbook and I only used it a single game to see how it would work trying to stop one of the many speed backs in this league. It didn't work very well, so I went back to the Ravens D playbook.

I like to think I spread the ball around pretty well and my stat lines are comparable to many teams in this league. If you want to drag someones name into this conversation, then why not take a look at season stats and find one of the teams who look worse than mine. They know who they are and I'm sure you do also, yet you keep wanting to act like I am some big abuser compared to everyone else.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying there aren't people who do the same thing. But as I talked about with GpNinja, I can't really comment on people that I haven't played and seen firsthand. Besides, nothing I stated is untrue. You drafted 3 TEs on the basis of speed and CIT. You were called out on it by DVO here.

[quote name='DVO21']ravens sure drafted alot of TE this draft wonder what the plan is with all of them[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Konfusion']Haha. I'm definitely going use one as trade bait. I wanted to take a WR at some point, but they kept getting taken before my picks and I didn't want to reach for a mediocre one when I can just pick up one as a free agent. I figured I could trade one of these TEs in the preseason and get someone I wanted.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Konfusion']Haha yeah. I thought you were thinking I was going to come out in goal line offense and cheese it up down the field. Don't worry, that is not my plan either. I just didn't have any other players worth taking on my board and knew I could possibly trade one in preseason.[/QUOTE]

Yup...that didn't happen. You were also very vocal about being in favor of allowing TEs to line up at WR.

[quote name='GamerDude316']I dont think I agree. If its okay for TEs to play WR, whats to stop somebody thinking its okay to move a WR to TE either. To me, its opening up a Pandora's box and I dont want to see that. We've had enough trouble getting people to go by the rules as it is with the numerous discussions on how to play with a lead, CPU games, etc.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Konfusion']That's not even close to the same thing.

Tight ends do line up out wide in real life. As a Ravens fan, I can tell you Dennis Pitta does it all the time. Really any team with an athletic tight end does it. New England and New Orleans come to mind as having their tight ends out wide a lot.[/QUOTE]

Just admit already that you wanted to build your team based on throwing to TEs. You can contend if you want that it's a legitimate strategy (I disagree...but we don't need to get into that again), but continuing this charade that that wasn't your gameplan going into this season is just insulting to everyone's intelligence.

[quote name='Konfusion']I am so tired of talking about this and defending myself. I used the New England playbook in one single game. I practiced using it the couple days prior to the Titans game and thought it would be an interesting fit for my personnel, but had never used it in a real game before, only practice mode. I haven't gone back and used that playbook again because I didn't want anyone else to accuse me of being a cheap player and honestly, I am more comfortable with the playbook I normally use. I didn't use my first 2 picks on TEs, that is a lie. I drafted a tight end with my first pick because I traded away Vincent Jackson so I could move up to #6 in the draft and hoped to get the RB that ended up going to San Diego at #1. I made those intentions clear to a few people. My backup plan if that didn't work out was to either take one of the top cornerbacks or take the top TE to replace the production I lost from Vincent Jackson. The RB and CBs were gone, so I took the TE. I had a later 1st rounder and three 2nd round picks. I chose a second TE with my third 2nd round pick not only because he was a guy who could stretch the field, but because he was a good blocking TE(77 RBK and 71 IBL), which I wanted in my #2 TE. I took a 3rd TE in the 4th round because my draftable players list was picked clean and I figured maybe I could use him as trade bait or just have him in case of an injury. Two TE sets are in every playbook, so wanting more than one is nothing out of the ordinary.

I like to think I spread the ball around pretty well and my stat lines are comparable to many teams in this league. If you want to drag someones name into this conversation, then why not take a look at season stats and find one of the teams who look worse than mine. They know who they are and I'm sure you do also, yet you keep wanting to act like I am some big abuser compared to everyone else.[/QUOTE]

None of that was necessary. It was just an example. I never said you were the only person doing it and that there weren't other offenders. But you drafted 3 TEs in the draft and reshaped your offense around one of the most broken parts of the game (DVO actually called you out on it after the draft too). If the best defense you have amounts to "if you can't beat em, join em", then I stand by my opinion.

[quote name='slofton']Man, am I the only person who doesn't know how to do all this fancy stuff? I feel like I'm behind the curve lol[/QUOTE]

Ha, don't worry. I did the draft wrong, I exploit the game wrong, I miss out on all the fancy stuff. And I still managed 10-6 last year and a playoff loss. (This year, maybe not so much..)

Ever since I joined the league I've played all my games the same. I've never have used cheesy plays or whatever you want to call them. I simply route my Te and Hb to a route I see that's open. On the smith thing when I audibled I thought he was fasano I audibled because I picked the wrong play.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']None of that was necessary. It was just an example. I never said you were the only person doing it and that there weren't other offenders. But you drafted 3 TEs in the draft and reshaped your offense around one of the most broken parts of the game (DVO actually called you out on it after the draft too). If the best defense you have amounts to "if you can't beat em, join em", then I stand by my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I didn't "reshape" my offense. My #2 TE only has 5 catches in 6 games, my #3 TE is Pitta, who I don't think has caught a ball and only sees the field in goal line packages and my 3rd drafted TE hasn't seen the field at all. My starting TE last year Pitta was involved in my offense last season especially early on, but he is nowhere near the athlete that my #1 pick is, so of course Flewellyn catches more balls. He gets open more because he is a better player and arguably the best receiver on my team now. I had 5 drops against the Eagles and they were all by my wideouts. I never said "If you can't beat em, join em." or anything to that effect. Drafting Flewellyn wasn't even my first choice in the draft, he was my 3rd or 4th as stated in my last post. I think I explained that pretty clearly and also explained myself when DVO commented on my draft. DVO didn't "call me out" on anything, he commented on whether I remembered we couldn't have TE at WR and of course I knew that. I only had like 2 or 3 WR on my roster at the time, so it was a valid question. DVO has played me more times than anyone else here and he actually came out and defended my play when you accused me of not playing right.

There is nothing wrong with having a good TE and wanting to involve them in your offense. There are plenty of them in real life who catch a lot of balls and are a focal point of the offense. Defenses have to adjust to this in real life by putting better defenders on them just like they would with a good WR. If you think I focus on him too much, then it shouldn't be hard for you focus on him with your defense just like in real life. I played the Eagles last week and I know he likes to go to McCoy a lot. I put multiple defenders on him at times and watched for him to get the ball. I believe his focus on McCoy was a big reason why he lost the game. I could say the same thing about TEs. I played the Bills last season and I knew he liked to go to his TE, so I put a good defender on him. One of the first plays of that game was the Bills trying to go to the TE and getting picked off for 6 points. His TE only had a single catch that game. I feel like a lot of this TE talk you always bring up is just people who instead of adjusting their defense to fit their opponent, they blame their failure on the game. There is a difference between finding the open guy and using cheap tactics like DVO was talking about, but to be honest, I haven't played against anyone in the league who I felt used cheesy tactics to get guys open.

[quote name='Lexxon']Ha, don't worry. I did the draft wrong, I exploit the game wrong, I miss out on all the fancy stuff. And I still managed 10-6 last year and a playoff loss. (This year, maybe not so much..)[/QUOTE]

That's why we have good games lol My mind is still blown away from our week 17 game last year. Damn Vernon Davis!

Yep Konfusion your right once you picked me off I knew not to throw to Fasano again. Same when I played the Pats I knew he liked to thorw to the TE's so I adjusted my CB's to cover them. I believe thats why I won the game it seems if somebody cant cover the TE's or HB's then they say there just cheesin or you shoudnt throw to them. Well maybe if they adjusted on defensive that woudn't happen.

I also think its cheesin when people take control of there WR when being throw to. It seems they catch outrageous throws in double coverage. But just cause am not good at that doesnt mean it's flawed and glitched.

I have some concern over my game with slofton, he is only available in the morning, and I work an 8-5 mon-fri job, what are we suppose to do here? Id rather not sim it personally

[quote name='DVO21']well been doing some research on madden 25 found some very interesting things.

new infinity engine aka infinity engine 2... from what i read there going to fix problem with running into ur lineman and just falling over. making it so RB and push and guide lineman to the blocks like in real life. also they are going to try and make it so that power backs arent quite as usless bring the power game back to madden.

CCM might have a new name aka connected franchise

defense is suppose to have better awareness play recognition and play more to there skill level along with other great features. that is if they really do put them into the game of course.

one thing im really unsure of is the run free stuff with the 30 more ball carrier movements to include combos.

it will be great to see some of these features put in the game and work correctly i guess only time will tell to see how things go... u never really know what EA will do[/QUOTE]

What threw me off was by just judging from the video, it seems like it will be easier to run with the QB with Madden 25. It may make for some annoying games :p

[quote name='Superstar']What threw me off was by just judging from the video, it seems like it will be easier to run with the QB with Madden 25. It may make for some annoying games :p[/QUOTE]

Thats what i was thinking as well but its what the nfl is turning into

[quote name='jbake_11']I have some concern over my game with slofton, he is only available in the morning, and I work an 8-5 mon-fri job, what are we suppose to do here? Id rather not sim it personally[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a sim is exactly what's going to happen, or if you don't want a sim you could always let him play the CPU

looks like its time to start playing with new playbooks again and trying a new style of offense. having a great defense and a terrible offense just isnt going to cut. back to the drawing board

[quote name='Yo Soy El Tiger']Can anyone get ahold of kaster?..no to pm and no xbox friend[/QUOTE]
Sorry Tiger, PMed ya back.

[quote name='DVO21']looks like its time to start playing with new playbooks again and trying a new style of offense. having a great defense and a terrible offense just isnt going to cut. back to the drawing board[/QUOTE]

Same here. I need to do something different. My offense is just stagnant, I can't move the ball much.

I was too tired to post something last night! Broncos continue trucking with a 24-7 win over the Raiders!

Great game Flyersfan! Your defensive line improvements have really helped. It was difficult to run against you! Eventually, Reggie went out with a minor injury, and I thought I would just rest him.

Also, wow, that wind was crazy. I bet we had like five missed field goals.

Just popping in here one last time to remind everyone the deadline for signing up for the Cag Madden Tourney is tomorrow(05/01/2013) at 6PM Est. I know no one from the gentlemans league has stepped up so far, but i am adding a reward for the winner of the tournament. I personally am giving the winner a 1000 Microsoft Point Code. Thank You, and hope to see some of you in the Tourney.

Link to the Tournament page for those of you that don't want to search for it.

So no responses from Neworlbush25 (Colts) to PM and I saw last nite he was set for auto. Any problem with going ahead and playing the CPU?

[quote name='HooRox']So no responses from Neworlbush25 (Colts) to PM and I saw last nite he was set for auto. Any problem with going ahead and playing the CPU?[/QUOTE]

He bowed out just before our game due to surgery and stuff. He's out for the duration.

[quote name='Docb9110']He bowed out just before our game due to surgery and stuff. He's out for the duration.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. Now that you bring it up, that sounds familiar.

[quote name='HooRox']Thanks for the heads up. Now that you bring it up, that sounds familiar.[/QUOTE]

Not a problem man. I only remember because I got lucky lol

well the bengals have sent up there last trade request of the madden 13 series hope it goes thru really need an offensive push

Billy if you see this hop on xbl or pm me. I was on at 7 to see if youd be on (like we talked about on xbl) hoping we could get it in tonight still

I'm on mobile or I'd pm him. If someone can shoot him one that would be awesome.

[quote name='Docb9110']Bye weeks suck!!![/QUOTE]

I'm actually loving this bye week. It was perfect timing for me to get stuff started for the WWE 13 league. I can really tell it's just getting to be that time for this game, haha. I'm ready for a break from football, and then to see if EA can actually improve anything with Madden 25.

[quote name='jbake_11']Has anyone talked to n8 lately? I sent him 2 PMs and havent heard anything back.[/QUOTE]

He's probably steaming over the Dead Island Riptide price cuts, lol

[quote name='GamerDude316']He's probably steaming over the Dead Island Riptide price cuts, lol[/QUOTE]

Not really. After the $10 Instant Video credit, it's only a difference of $5. And I got the steelbook with mine. Not to mention I took advantage of Amazon's "trade in $20 game, get $20 bonus" and flipped Army of Two: Devil's Cartel from Gamestop for $22 to Amazon for $56. Just gotta stay frosty, haha. ;)

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Not really. After the $10 Instant Video credit, it's only a difference of $5. And I got the steelbook with mine. Not to mention I took advantage of Amazon's "trade in $20 game, get $20 bonus" and flipped Army of Two: Devil's Cartel from Gamestop for $22 to Amazon for $56. Just gotta stay frosty, haha. ;)[/QUOTE]

Ahh you did get in on that, nice! I flipped Tomb Raider for that deal myself.

[quote name='Superstar']Saints\Cowboys is starting now![/QUOTE]

Back and fourth game between the Saints and the Cowboys, but Dallas able to pull out the W due solely to turnovers.

Cowboys - 42
Saints - 35

Saints :
Brees - 4 TD, 6 INTs
Cruz - 200+ yards receiving
Harper - 11 tackles

Cowboys :
Brady - 6 TD, 1 INT
Bryant 150+ 2 TDs
Clayborn - 3 INTs

GG Superstar.

The Giants and Falcons have had trouble finding time for their game. I hate to do this, but I'm going to have to put the Falcons on auto and let j_bake play the CPU. Based on the information I gathered, it seems slofton had very limited availability (between 8-10am on a couple days, 4pm-5pm a couple days, and no days with anything later than 5pm). While, conversely, j_bake was available every day from 5pm on. Like I said, I hate that it comes to this, but if I'm having to rule "who was more available", I'd have to give the Giants the nod.

j_bake, feel free to play the CPU whenever you can.

bread's done
Back