CAGLS: Official NHL 13 No Hockey League - Playoffs! Rd 1 - Deadline 12/11!

I'm with Chris on this... Say we did delay the playoffs, how long would it be for? I know you mentioned you were leaving town, but I would be okay with that since it would be kind of shitty to have someone that has played and has been so active in the league not even be able to play any of their games in the playoffs.

Seriously, it's fine. I really don't mind. I won't be back until Sunday evening, so it's going to be about a week.

My team is kinda banged up again anyways, all I ask is to try to not take anyone else out ;)

Well, I don't know about anybody else, but I've still got some unplayed games, so delaying the start of the playoffs wouldn't bother me. I'm hoping that most of the people left in the league at this point are dedicated enough that delaying wouldn't cause them to lose interest either. It would probably be worse on the teams that didn't make the playoffs, but maybe they wouldn't mind a break too. After all, this is the only hockey we have (as sad as that is), lol.

I'm 8 points out, and have a slim chance of making it. I believe that we should delay the playoffs to help one of the more active players in the league able to play his playoff games. It's a community thing, and its the right decision.

I'm okay with however long the delay... I'd rather know that everyone is getting a shot at playing their games than knowing they aren't because the rest of us were too impatient. I won't be losing interest, but rather be waiting in anticipation for the games to start.

On a side note, it would be awesome if we could watch the games as they were played with the Broadcast view. I really miss hockey and imagine it's even worse for those of you without a team nearby (I'm lucky and have the Griffins and get free tickets to every game). I'd be going crazy otherwise.

[quote name='Twick87']I suggest we dont advance to round 1 until friday morning. and give us like 5 days to play round 1.[/QUOTE]

I'm on board with this. Starting the playoffs Friday is cool, therefore Alan can play and it's only 4 days delay. We went through the season pretty fast and here's the important spot. This way finals would be wrapped up right before Xmas, week break, and start it all over again after New Years.

That's my opinion anyway

[quote name='DestroVega']I'm on board with this. Starting the playoffs Friday is cool, therefore Alan can play and it's only 4 days delay. We went through the season pretty fast and here's the important spot. This way finals would be wrapped up right before Xmas, week break, and start it all over again after New Years.

That's my opinion anyway[/QUOTE]

I like this timeframe as well. Trying to be between seasons over Christmas would be ideal.

[quote name='moojuice']Sounds good. Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

Hey, who said we were doing this for you? Some people are so self-centered. ;)

as a non-playoff team I think its great you guys are delaying...Alan had such a tough season with injuries (even worse than mine!) and definitely deserves a shot at winning in the playoffs himself instead of relying on the AI. Hope everybody has a great run!

Curious what thoughts are on those that narrowly missed playoff spots taking over CPU teams just for the playoffs? Maybe hold a lottery for everyone that missed playoffs that wants to take over a cpu team? Just feel like it would be nice to get as many as we can involved.

Food for thought.

[quote name='Canbanana']Curious what thoughts are on those that narrowly missed playoff spots taking over CPU teams just for the playoffs? Maybe hold a lottery for everyone that missed playoffs that wants to take over a cpu team? Just feel like it would be nice to get as many as we can involved.

Food for thought.[/QUOTE]

How many CPU teams made it? I know we only have Carolina in the East. I didn't realize any in the West made it or were close once all the quitting was done (i.e. San Jose, Dallas, Anaheim).

[quote name='Canbanana']Curious what thoughts are on those that narrowly missed playoff spots taking over CPU teams just for the playoffs? Maybe hold a lottery for everyone that missed playoffs that wants to take over a cpu team? Just feel like it would be nice to get as many as we can involved.

Honestly, I don't think that's fair. Everyone had an equal chance at making the playoffs, and if the people that chose to quit went on to make it, just the way it breaks. Granted, I may be a bit biased getting to play a CPU in the 1st round, but I'd feel that way even if I wasn't.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of this idea either. I get that some people end up playing the CPU in the playoffs but that's just the luck if the draw. What's the point of the regular season if someone who didn't make it gets to take over a good team once the playoffs start? I'm all for being accommodating but at the same time this is still a competitive league.

[quote name='Twick87']Yeah I'm not a big fan of this idea either. I get that some people end up playing the CPU in the playoffs but that's just the luck if the draw. What's the point of the regular season if someone who didn't make it gets to take over a good team once the playoffs start? I'm all for being accommodating but at the same time this is still a competitive league.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this too. I guess you could make the argument that since Carolina was user-controlled for most of the season (the reason for their high seed) it MIGHT make sense to allow another user such as Flyersfan to play as them in the playoffs, but otherwise I'd say its the luck of the draw as well.

While the idea is good, I don't want to control Carolina. I had my chance to make it in, I was absolutely horrible in the beginning of the season and had to go on a real hot streak at the end to even get as close as I did.

The way some people play in here, I dont even want to play them at all with another cpu, because then you'd have them bitching and moaning non stop in here.

Nate, you should UP the cpu teams for the playoffs! You want that cup, fight hard for it against the cpu. ;-)

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']does anyone have games this week? I thought the playoffs started friday. The deadline shows the 6th.[/QUOTE]

The deadline was extended to help the playoff matchups work with everyone's schedules. Playoffs will start this Friday.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Nate, you should UP the cpu teams for the playoffs! You want that cup, fight hard for it against the cpu. ;-)[/QUOTE]

Well, it's not like anybody is going to be facing the CPU all the way to the finals. And if we did up the difficulty...it's possible a CPU team could win the cup, thus making all of our invested time pointless. It's something to consider for next season, but I don't think it's a good idea now.

Speaking of settings changes, I just looked, and yeah...I'm not seeing an option for injuries. I'm hoping maybe the full settings options will open back up between seasons, but if not...I feel like we gotta try something to discourage thuggish play. Even when it's the AI's fault, it still bothers me. One option we do have is turning penalty scaling off...meaning that penalties last in real time, not in game time. At least this would increase the severity of a penalty when they are actually called, which MAYBE would make people think twice before going for those big hits or spamming their stick checks.

And of course, there's still the option of going with the "hardcore" playstyle. I know it's supposed to negatively affect passing, but I think we should still look at it. Maybe play some test games with it, and see if it makes any difference. It even has me wondering what raising the playstyle to "hardcore", but lowering the difficulty to "rookie" would accomplish. I've never really understood how the two work separately to alter gameplay, as you'd think they'd be changing the same things. Ultimately, I feel like another season of what we just had isn't going to be tolerable for as long. I'm all up for radical changes.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, it's not like anybody is going to be facing the CPU all the way to the finals. And if we did up the difficulty...it's possible a CPU team could win the cup, thus making all of our invested time pointless. It's something to consider for next season, but I don't think it's a good idea now.

Speaking of settings changes, I just looked, and yeah...I'm not seeing an option for injuries. I'm hoping maybe the full settings options will open back up between seasons, but if not...I feel like we gotta try something to discourage thuggish play. Even when it's the AI's fault, it still bothers me. One option we do have is turning penalty scaling off...meaning that penalties last in real time, not in game time. At least this would increase the severity of a penalty when they are actually called, which MAYBE would make people think twice before going for those big hits or spamming their stick checks.

And of course, there's still the option of going with the "hardcore" playstyle. I know it's supposed to negatively affect passing, but I think we should still look at it. Maybe play some test games with it, and see if it makes any difference. It even has me wondering what raising the playstyle to "hardcore", but lowering the difficulty to "rookie" would accomplish. I've never really understood how the two work separately to alter gameplay, as you'd think they'd be changing the same things. Ultimately, I feel like another season of what we just had isn't going to be tolerable for as long. I'm all up for radical changes.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I think we should just turn injuries off. We can try to discourage thuggish play but AI will continue to be goons no matter what...and this "hardcore" playstyle just doesnt sound like it will be very good. I'd rather see injuries turned off altogether (yeah its not realistic but neither is the walking MASH units that so many of us had)

[quote name='jza1218']Nate's post said that he didn't see an option for injuries though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I just noticed that, read it at first as an injury slider not on/off. In that case....maybe increase penalty scaling?

holy shit, took both games against the cpu (flames) to tie the sharks for the eighth spot. too intense. Game one ended in a shootout 1-0, and Hall scored with 45 sec left in the third to take the second game 1-0.

[quote name='Captain OBVIOU5']holy shit, took both games against the cpu (flames) to tie the sharks for the eighth spot. too intense. Game one ended in a shootout 1-0, and Hall scored with 45 sec left in the third to take the second game 1-0.[/QUOTE]

Who are your final two games against? Gonna be stressful waiting to see how SJ's games sim out. Good luck!

Well, I have one game left against San Jose, so I'll do my best to help you out there, Captain Obvious (last time I played them, I took out Martin Havlat for the rest of the season, haha). It would be nice to help another human owner get into the playoffs.

[quote name='Twick87']I went to start a new gm connected league and there IS an option to turn off injuries FYI[/QUOTE]

I know there was one when the league was initially created. Obviously, we didn't know to anticipate these problems back then though. And like I said, the way a lot of online franchises work is certain settings can only be set when the league is created. I'm hoping injuries won't be like that and we'll be able to turn them off between seasons. But we'll see.

I'm fine with things the way they are however I would be up for having injuries turned off. I don't like seeing that I have guys out for 10-15 games or even 50 games like I have, but it is part of hockey. Some of the other changes I have seen I would not be up for. If injuries can not be turned off at the start of a new season I would rather just have the league started over and the injuries turned off than make some of the changes I have seen when glancing over the thread.

[quote name='sendme']I'm fine with things the way they are however I would be up for having injuries turned off. I don't like seeing that I have guys out for 10-15 games or even 50 games like I have, but it is part of hockey. Some of the other changes I have seen I would not be up for. If injuries can not be turned off at the start of a new season I would rather just have the league started over and the injuries turned off than make some of the changes I have seen when glancing over the thread.[/QUOTE]

start the league over? I dont think that will happen.

Just want to make sure, but we're going to advance hopefully earlier today rather than later, yes? That way we can schedule game with matchups for tonight?

[quote name='Wpark83']Just want to make sure, but we're going to advance hopefully earlier today rather than later, yes? That way we can schedule game with matchups for tonight?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm going to advance us here in a little bit. I would have done it last night, but I noticed there were several teams who hadn't played all their games...specifically, Edmonton still had one game to play. Honestly, Captain Obvious's odds of beating out San Jose are kinda slim anyway, as the Sharks still had 4 games left after I beat them...and only need one win to secure that playoff spot (unless Edmonton gets a win/OT loss in its last game). I just wanted to make sure everyone had the wee morning hours to get those last games played.

All right, we have advanced to the playoffs! As I suspected, San Jose ended up taking that last playoff spot. Hoping to see some upsets throughout this postseason. Would make things a lot more exciting. The deadline for these games will be 12/11 (but hopefully they'll be finished sooner...depending on how many games people want to play in one sitting). Good luck to everyone!

Good luck to everyone in the playoffs... I really wish I had an iPhone (but not really) so I could use the app and look at the matchups.

The only ones I know are:

Montreal v Florida
Nashville v Bananahammock Mnnesota
Detroit v San Jose

I know in the east the 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7 were all pretty well up in the air right up until the end. With Washington and Pittsburgh battling it out for 2nd, Buffalo securing 4th, and then Carolina, New York Rangers, and Winnipeg jostling for 5 through 7.

For those of you who don't have access to the game or the iPhone app the 1st round matchups are as follows:

Detroit v. San Jose
Colorado v. Vancouver
Phoenix v. Chicago
Minnesota v. Nashville

Montreal v. Florida
Washington v. NYR
Pittsburgh v. Winnipeg
Buffalo v. Carolina

It was a good run, after betting LA and taking over 8th spot I only had the coyotes to play. Unfortunately his roster was not set and I wasn't able to get the game in so it was in fates hands. As it happens SJS got one win in their last five games and that 2 points was enough to tie Edmonton, and they did hold the tie breaker.

Eight points out with 7 to play, the odds were against me but I'm proud of the boys, they worked hard for this but unfortunately that's how the cards are delt. We will be back better and stronger next season.

Good luck to everyone in the playoffs, see you next season.

[quote name='Twick87']For those of you who don't have access to the game or the iPhone app the 1st round matchups are as follows:

Detroit v. San Jose
Colorado v. Vancouver
Phoenix v. Chicago
Minnesota v. Nashville

Montreal v. Florida
Washington v. NYR
Pittsburgh v. Winnipeg
Buffalo v. Carolina[/QUOTE]

Thanks... I was really hoping to see what they were before I logged on later.

You guys have some interesting matchups in the west. I'm going to guess that MIN v NSH and COL v VAN each goes at least 6.

As for the East, both WAS v NYR and PIT v WIN should be good. I know Pittsburgh and Winnipeg had fairly close games during the season. WAS and NYR both were great opponents when I played them too... So I'd be surprised to see that be done in less than 6.

bread's done
Back