CAGLS: Official NHL 14 Online Franchise - Random Rosters - Play ALL Human Opponents - Schedule Section #5 Due 4/9!

Yup, it's the same thing I told people in the Madden league. This isn't a good game. We're here because we love the sport...and it's the only option we have. So, by that token, it makes more sense to be good to one another and just enjoy the camaraderie. Because there's really no such thing as being "good at NHL 14", lol.

Yeah I don't really have a problem with it. Hopefully we can get to a second and even third season, which would make that a very good trade for Tampa.

I'm OK with this. Yeah, we aren't sure about a second season, but we can't rule it out either. There was at least a partial second season anyways last year, so it's likely TB would get some kind of benefit. St Louis is probably going to retire soon anyways based off EA logic.
Actually, now that I'm looking at that again...nevermind. I was thinking the CPU was asking for 2 1st round picks and Grigorenko. That may not make a whole lot of sense, but I guess from that perspective, it seemed like they weren't valuing Grigorenko very much and would bury him in the AHL...which would put the bulk of the value on the 1st round picks...that may or may not actually happen.

I had a response typed up along that thought process. But it turns out, the actual proposal would go along with what I was going to suggest anyway, lol. But I'll still suggest it because I think it provides a reasonable limitation. I was going to say that having a policy that no player can be traded for more than one draft pick (ie. you can't go ask Minnesota for Ryan Suter for 3 1st round picks) and that the draft pick cannot be for a year beyond the next season.

Like I said, having re-read Twick's proposal, it follows both of those guidelines...and if the CPU thinks a 1st round pick in next year's draft makes up the difference in skill/grooming time, I change my stance on it. That seems fair.

Just out of curiosity though, what's Buffalo's cap space look like? Because the difference in contracts is decently large.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I definitely agree with no more than 1 draft pick per player, and no more than one season ahead. Maybe if we get closer to the deadline and we have a foreseeable second season, allow two draft picks per player.

Nate, I accidentally submitted an offer to Edmonton on the app, can you reject it whenever? I was trying to see what the salary cap implications would be, etc.

lmao...like I keep saying, this is not a good game. EA Sports does not make good games. Every game is basically a cash in on a guaranteed audience that has no alternative (with the only exception being Fifa/PES, I suppose). It's sad that sports gaming has gotten to this point.

Um, yeah...so Twick, I just looked at that trade proposal with TB and it says you have $0.260M of cap space. Pretty sure this St. Louis deal isn't going to fly, lol (I'm in a similar boat myself with absolutely no cap room to make any deals).

Um, yeah...so Twick, I just looked at that trade proposal with TB and it says you have $0.260M of cap space. Pretty sure this St. Louis deal isn't going to fly, lol (I'm in a similar boat myself with absolutely no cap room to make any deals).
I'm pretty sure that's my cap room AFTER the deal.

In game it says Buffalo has 2.845 million in cap space.
Ok, well that definitely doesn't match what the trade screen was showing...so maybe it is after the trade. I'm just confused because for the dollar amounts shown...is that the total amount remaining on the contract? (ie. St. Louis is owed $5.625M over 2 years...or $2.8125M per year) If that's the case...then, yeah...this should be fine. The info just wasn't presented in the most clear way. I guess that would make a valid case for posting proposals similar to how we do it in the Madden league...with clear contract info, salary cap space, etc.

Nothing against Twick here...he's just the guinea pig for our first trade. But considering how difficult it is to actually view league info, it would probably speed up the process to include as much info as possible. Either way, should have it sorted out by tonight.

The app shows him at 5.6 Million, which I assume is per year. 

And some internet research shows that is what he's due this year and next, so the trade might be a problem based on financial grounds.

fuck me. At some point I lost steen for 22 games. I'm thinking this was in a simulated game as I never saw anything in the games played. Also lost Roy for one game and halak seems useless. I'm wanting to move Allen up only have to put him or halak on waivers.

Upon checking in game, jza1218 is correct. Buffalo has $2.845M of cap space. Grigorenko makes $1.775M per year. St. Louis makes $5.625M per year.

$2.845M

+$1.775M

--------------

$4.62M

-$5.625M

--------------

-$1.005M

Not enough cap space.

Trade Rejected.

About to advance us...but here are the games that did not get played:

Bruins: Red Wings (AttackingMVP)

Sabres: Islanders (RevCottonMarcus)

Red Wings: Bruins (Cikas1619), Rangers (statnut)

Kings: Predators (n8rocker82), Oilers (CPU)

Predators: Kings (X Matt Young X)

Islanders: Sabres (twick87), Flyers (garrett007)

Rangers: Flyers (garrett007), Red Wings (AttackingMVP)

Flyers: Penguins (CPU), Rangers (statnut), Islanders (RevCottonMarcus)

Blues: Sharks (CPU), Jets (CPU), Canucks (CPU)

It's not exactly stellar, but we really need to keep moving at this pace. If the main objective is to get through multiple seasons, it's really the only way.

Upon checking in game, jza1218 is correct. Buffalo has $2.845M of cap space. Grigorenko makes $1.775M per year. St. Louis makes $5.625M per year.

$2.845M
+$1.775M
--------------
$4.62M
-$5.625M
--------------
-$1.005M

Not enough cap space.

Trade Rejected.
What if I structured the trade so that TB retains 1M of his salary?

That trade almost got delayed... I was playing my CPU game against Tampa and had injured St. Louis, then got disconnected from the EA servers in the 3rd tied 4-4.

So I just injured Hedman instead on the 2nd try. 

But fuck EA... I'm running out of wingers... Alfie and Franzen both got hurt in the first sim, and then they added Quincey to that list.  Then in this sim Abby got knocked out for 41 games.  I got Franzen back for the Tampa game and he gets train wrecked away from the puck with 40 seconds to go and is now gone for another 42 games. Awesome.

What if I structured the trade so that TB retains 1M of his salary?
Honestly, that may have been happening automatically in the trade proposal in the first place, as I seem to remember seeing "money retained" and Tampa's saying $1,000,000. But that kind of thing has to be part of the proposal to be voted on...and personally, that would put me back in the camp of not liking the deal. So, Tampa is getting rid of one of their best players...and eating $1M of his salary? At what point does it become poaching CPU rosters?

I'd be much more comfortable with you clearing salary by cutting a player and calling up/signing a cheaper replacement. It's one thing for you to restructure your team within the salary cap...but to ask the CPU to help pay for your star players is too much, in my opinion.

That trade almost got delayed... I was playing my CPU game against Tampa and had injured St. Louis, then got disconnected from the EA servers in the 3rd tied 4-4.

But fuck EA... I'm running out of wingers... Alfie and Franzen both got hurt in the first sim, and then they added Quincey to that list. Then in this sim Abby got knocked out for 41 games. I got Franzen back for the Tampa game and he gets train wrecked away from the puck with 40 seconds to go and is now gone for another 42 games. Awesome.
What? You mean that's not realistic?

Another interesting point was raised to me tonight...when it was noticed that 3 of the top teams in the league are currently CPU teams. The suggestion was made to remove the restriction on playing games against teams in the other conference. This would basically put us back to the way we did things last year...with just playing as many games as you feel like and trying to keep up. The thought behind it is that it would give us more control in making sure the playoffs aren't full of CPU teams (though, with the way I've been losing to CPU teams...I can't actually say that playing them would do anything to help)

Personally, I don't really like the idea. I think it would create more chaos (more games to play in that 5 day window) without necessarily making for a better situation. As for CPU teams making the playoffs, obviously, I wouldn't want the playoffs full of them...but if it happens, it happens. In a way, that's as close to a realistic and competitive league as we're going to get. The seasons would get pretty boring if we were all just steamrolling the CPU every game.

This idea was also brought up in relation to all the injuries though...and that at least that way, you wouldn't randomly discover you've lost a player in a simmed game. Of course, this doesn't mean that player wouldn't get injured while you're playing anyway...but the idea of having control over it was brought up. This one, I definitely agree with...but again, I don't know that it would really change the outcome any. There could easily be just as many injuries...but yeah...you'd at least know it was your "fault".

I get the argument...but honestly, I don't think it would change my playing habits, or how I'm approaching this franchise at all. I definitely don't want to burn myself out trying to play all 82 games...and then hoping to do that for 2-3 seasons. And I feel like getting through multiple seasons should be our #1 objective. The point was raised that with the NHL's points standings, conference games really don't have any more significance than out of conference games...and I agree to an extent. But there are still more conference games...and if you can consistently win those games, I think you'll be more likely to make the playoffs.

Honestly, my biggest hope when simming all these other games is that no team would get a huge boost from them and that we'd all be around .500 in out of conference games. That might happen...or it might not happen. There's really no way to know. Ultimately, I feel like we're just trying to make the best of a shitty system, and there's no guarantee of anything being the right answer. Hell, we already could have had the argument of whether injuries should have been turned off.

"There are too many injuries. It's killing the game."

"Injuries are a part of the sport. Taking them out would make it too unrealistic."

"But having so many injuries is unrealistic."

"Without injuries, you'd never have to use your younger players."

And so on...and so on. If the game was actually programmed competently and didn't play like complete crap, we wouldn't even have to be discussing these things. Just wanted to put all this out there in case anybody has any points to make. For me, I'd just like to keep playing and see what happens. I have zero expectations from this game, so it's easy for me to not really be surprised by any of the crap it throws at us anymore. Just like with Madden...I'm not playing in an online franchise to be "the best". I'm playing because I'm a fan and it's basically an interactive way to follow my favorite team.

But fuck EA... I'm running out of wingers... Alfie and Franzen both got hurt in the first sim, and then they added Quincey to that list. Then in this sim Abby got knocked out for 41 games. I got Franzen back for the Tampa game and he gets train wrecked away from the puck with 40 seconds to go and is now gone for another 42 games. Awesome.
Yep. I loaded up the app after we advanced to find out that I lost 3 more players to injuries totaling 89 games. It's fucking ridiculous and really making me consider dropping from the league because it's ruining the fun for me. It's one thing playing with a shitty roster but then u add the fact that I've got 4 starters out with long term injuries already. But I guess I should've expected it because it happened to me last year too...

The fact that I lost Steen for now over 15 games and Halak has yet to show up to a game I'm considering the same.  Hell Halak doesn't even show up now in hut games half the time.  Seems like EA rotates goaltenders and makes them useless after every update.

Here's the thing...if people value not losing their players more than they value the progress we've made...we could start over yet again...and turn injuries off. Obviously, the risk there is that we lose even more members who just don't have the patience to keep going through this. However, if we stand to lose members because no one is having fun playing with their AHL roster, then the end result is the same. I'll do whatever you guys want. But I also think some of you need to just let go of your expectation of this game performing in any way that resembles the real NHL. This game is a joke. It's still hockey...and the only hockey we have. But it's a joke.

I don't think it is the fact that players are injured or that we have to play with the AHL players.  The issue is the length of the injuries, type of injuries and the fact that as players we have no control over them.  For me it is also the goaltending.  It seems like some times they show up some times they don't.  I know for a fact I'm done with Halak in the game and that is sad.  I'm running Elliot and then Allen if I have to.  After that I may put Halak back in, but I'm not 100% on that.  I will go along with what everyone else wants to do.  

Yeah, I honestly can go either way. It's a "pick your poison" choice at this point. Dealt with injuries last year, I can deal with it again lol.

I lost Nash, Boyle and Staal before I even played a game. Had two sim games last block and lost Zuccarello. In spite of that, I'd rather not start over again. I just wish I had more cap room, because then I could at least pick up a free agent or two to cover for the injuries,

Yeah...honestly, the injuries don't bother me. They're shitty and stupid...but that describes the entire game for the most part, lol. It's pretty much what I expect from EA at this point. The only "positive' really is just knowing that we're all dealing with the same thing. That's really my only concern in any of our policies or restrictions is just making sure that no one is receiving an unfair advantage.

Some could argue that using real rosters provided an unfair advantage...but that's a concession people have to make if they want to enjoy playing as their favorite team. It's not like I've got world beaters with the Preds...but I know the players, I like the players...and if they suck, oh well. In general, I do think once you ratchet down the seriousness and expectation in how your games "should" go, only then will you find any enjoyment. I feel like I've basically had that lesson beaten into me as the NHL series gets crappier and crappier every year. You just have to let go.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fscuv4PIjws[/youtube]

As for cap space...yeah, I guess that's a revealing picture of what the new CBA did. Teams have NO MONEY. I have less than $300K of cap space. Even moving a player up from the AHL can be a challenge. But hey...if the contracts are actually accurate, that may be the most realistic part of this game, haha ;)

On a side note and HUT related I may have just had the most enjoyable victory ever forcing the guy to rage quit early in the 3rd. Guys team was stacked as these were just some if the guys he had: Giroux, Toews, Ovechkin, Kane, Kessel, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Neal, Tavares, Seabrook, and Lundqvist in net. He kept going for the cheesy ass wrister which i blocked at least 10 times. He also had 9 mins of pp to my 50 seconds.

Games like that give me hope in EA and karma.

I will try to check tonight but, if I can't let me know if you have to play St. Louis and I will find time to play.

I'll be advancing us this afternoon. I meant to do it last night, but forgot. Anybody who has any games left, this is your chance to get them in.

Yup...fucking bullshit. Outshot them 19-15...lost 4-2. And I had 2:30 more time on attack. I guess that's EA deciding that the Jets are just "the team that Nashville can't beat". Ice tilt X 1000.

Ok...we have advanced to Schedule Section #4. This is how our teams did in terms of games missed this past round.

Boston: NY Islanders (RevCottonMarcus)

Buffalo: NY Rangers (statnut)

Chicago: None

Colorado: None

Detroit: None

Los Angeles: None

Nashvile: None

NY Islanders: NY Rangers (statnut), Bruins (Cikas1619)

NY Rangers: Canadians (CPU), Islanders (RevCottonMarcus), Sabres (twick87), Hurricanes (CPU), Penguins (CPU), Blue Jackets (CPU), Panthers (CPU)

Philadelphia: Capitals (CPU), Devils (CPU), Hurricanes (CPU), Devils (CPU)

St. Louis: Jets (CPU), Flames (CPU)

I was really encouraged until I got to those last three teams...as none of them played a single game. I think garrett007 is about out of here. It's one thing to have a rough time scheduling a game with a human opponent. But not playing your CPU games just makes your involvement pointless. This is nothing personal at all...but seriously...what is the expectation here?

On that note, if I remember correctly, I think sendme mentioned something about intentionally letting his CPU games get simmed. And I'm not sure that I'm a huge fan of this either. It's not really fair to the people who are playing their CPU games and losing.

Ultimately, I feel like we all need to be on the same scale here. We all have a set number of games to play...no more...and no less. If you get to a point where you're just not participating anymore, then what is the point? I don't want to be hard on anybody...because I appreciate the ones brave enough to stick this thing out. But I think we need to be fair to those who are staying active and making an effort.

All right, that's my speech. Not making any drastic moves right now. Let's hope this improves with this next section of the schedule...which will be due 11/18.

I'll be truthful, I didn't realize we were required to play all the CPU games. That might be a problem for me, but we'll see.

I apparently didn't know that Columbus was an Eastern Conference team either. Learn something new every day.

I'll be truthful, I didn't realize we were required to play all the CPU games. That might be a problem for me, but we'll see.

I apparently didn't know that Columbus was an Eastern Conference team either. Learn something new every day.
Columbus switched this year with Detroit. Winnipeg went to the West...and the assumption is that Seattle or another western city will get the next team to balance things back out.

As for the CPU games...I'm torn on it. On one hand, it seems like a "silly requirement". But on the other hand, if everyone is just simming their CPU games, then more than likely, people who took good teams are going to gain an advantage. If there is any interest in keeping things fair to everyone, then requiring the same out of everybody would be the way to go about it. That's all I was saying.

I knew Detroit switched, I didn't realize that Columbus did as well. Makes sense geographically of course, but who's ever accused pro sports of doing things that make sense.

Just because I was morbidly curious, I went and counted how many injuries there currently are in our league....93, lol. We're at the "right now" part of the schedule (Nov. 11 - Nov. 24) and we have 93 injuries... That's freaking hilarious. What a game! :lol:

I don't even want to look at my roster. I lose too many more players and it's going to kill my desire to play any games.
Pretty sure you only had 2 guys out when I looked. There are a few teams with 2...and I think New Jersey has 1. But most teams have 3-4 out. I didn't see anybody with more than 4, which almost makes me wonder if the game has some retarded failsafe that your team can't get completely fucked and have more than 4 guys injured at a time. That would be good news I guess. Incredibly stupid and unrealistic...but good news, lol.

Pretty sure you only had 2 guys out when I looked. There are a few teams with 2...and I think New Jersey has 1. But most teams have 3-4 out. I didn't see anybody with more than 4, which almost makes me wonder if the game has some retarded failsafe that your team can't get completely fucked and have more than 4 guys injured at a time. That would be good news I guess. Incredibly stupid and unrealistic...but good news, lol.
Now I don't even want to look at my team. I know Steen is out. Should be for about 18 or so games still. At least no one can be suspended, or did EA add that and I just didn't know it?

I'm fairly certain I had 6 out at one point last year as the Avs, so unless they changed GM connected (lol), you can have more than 4

I'm fairly certain I had 6 out at one point last year as the Avs, so unless they changed GM connected (lol), you can have more than 4

Thanks to all the injuries on my team, I returned to play the CPU Leafs only to find that for some reason I have 2 rookie forwards starting as my 3rd D pairing. Dafuq...

bread's done
Back