Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Gen. Discussion & Info

Anybody figure out how to get in this beta yet? I went and signed up for the charlieoscardelta forums, but all they have to say is...

"Check back later!"

[quote name='elsnow77']i hope most games start doing betas, that would be cool. As long as they're free any way[/quote]

It's just as easy as doing a demo, and you get market research along with a disclamer that the game still isn't finished... Sounds like we'll be seeing a lot of it in the future...

According to Activision, they ahve to pay MS a certain amount of money for each beta tester. I wouldn't be too certain that you will see THAT much more beta testing.

Actually whats up with all the betas? Activision should be paying us for bug testing their game, right along with all the other betas that companies are throwing out there. They make it seem like is an exclusive honor to beta test their product, the reality is that time is money and there really should be some sort of compensation for bug testing. In the real world get paid for that sort of thing. People may think game testing is an awesome job, but really it's quite hellish.

The only positive thing I can think about all the betas is less bugs later on.

[quote name='Qslugs']Actually whats up with all the betas? Activision should be paying us for bug testing their game, right along with all the other betas that companies are throwing out there. They make it seem like is an exclusive honor to beta test their product, the reality is that time is money and there really should be some sort of compensation for bug testing. In the real world get paid for that sort of thing. People may think game testing is an awesome job, but really it's quite hellish.

The only positive thing I can think about all the betas is less bugs later on.[/quote]

Nobody is forcing you to sign up. Betas have been a regular practice in PC gaming for years, and many people enjoy contributing to games they play. It's near impossible to internally test large scale online experiences, and with console gaming moving toward online more and more, it becomes increasingly important.

[quote name='Qslugs']Actually whats up with all the betas? Activision should be paying us for bug testing their game, right along with all the other betas that companies are throwing out there. They make it seem like is an exclusive honor to beta test their product, the reality is that time is money and there really should be some sort of compensation for bug testing. In the real world get paid for that sort of thing. People may think game testing is an awesome job, but really it's quite hellish.

The only positive thing I can think about all the betas is less bugs later on.[/quote]

What betas have you tested that have been so hellish, yet you kept playing? :lol:

After the E3 vid, COD4 is now the game I am most excited about.

I knew about Bioshock and Mass Effect and all that, but for me this game came out of nowhere. Its looks friggin awesome! I cant wait to bust out my Gillie suit!

One thing that I LOVE that developers are doing with FPS's is the addition of light RPG elements. Ranking up to unlock new guns and armor and outfit selections is awesome. I love it in RS:Vegas, and it seems they're doing it in COD4 and Halo 3 as well.

Hopefully they will release info about joining the beta soon, and hopefully it wont involve buying another game.

I hope that we don't have to buy a game for this. I really hope they won't do that. I don't see any games coming out in August that they need a sales spike of anyway, Bioshock and Madden will sell themselves. Crackdown wouldn't have without the beta.

I cannot wait for this game, I thought nothing of it during the months before E3 and when I saw that vid, I was saying Holy Shit for a minute straight.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Lack of COD4 topics??? Why would we need more than one help1?

The OP on the original thread is a newbie, I have doubts that he/she will be updating the thread...so if you're making this one official, keep it updated.[/quote]

Will do, since the other one didnt have much talk anyway.

Here is a link to the official site to vote for the boxart.

Alpha Box Art

Alpha_small.jpg

Bravo Box Art

Bravo_small.jpg

Charlie Box Art

Charlie_small.jpg

Delta Box Art

Delta_small.jpg

Echo Box Art

Echo_small.jpg

I'd put bigger pictures but they are huge, just go to the site if you need to see them bigger.

Once again here is the link to vote:

http://charlieoscardelta.com/sitrep.php?uid=2&b_id=MjM=&req=view

Personally, I like the Echo box art the best.

It's going to require a memory device, which I would think all 360 owners have now.
It also makes me wonder if that rumor of the core getting a packed in memory unit is true, since that would allow this game to make that a standard... Interesting.

http://www.xboxic.com/news/3283

Click the pics to see the evidence of the memory unit being required to play.

The only positive thing I can think about all the betas is less bugs later on.[/QUOTE]

Beta's like this aren't really bug testing, they are load testing. It's easy to get free testers with a hotly anticipated game, so why would you offer compensation?

Testing a nearly complete game for multiplayer balance is far far different than the "hellish" testing of super buggy early games for months on end. Trust me, I know.

memory card requirement is kind of lame. I dont feel like shelling out eh $50 or $60 they cost here just to be able to play a game Im already paying $60-$70 for.

[quote name='magiic']memory card requirement is kind of lame. I dont feel like shelling out eh $50 or $60 they cost here just to be able to play a game Im already paying $60-$70 for.[/QUOTE]

Why would you shell out $60-$70 for a game you can't save your progress in then? Planning to play through the whole thing in one sitting?

One thing I won't bother with is online... As much as I think shooting though the walls is innovative, I could see all the nOObs shooting though the walls instead of using something like say... skill. :roll:

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']well the graphics make sense now since it seems it will need a HDD or whatever.[/quote]

err9yp.gif
Like others have been saying... don't all games need to use the hd in some way or another... ?

[quote name='VipFREAK']
err9yp.gif
Like others have been saying... don't all games need to use the hd in some way or another... ?[/QUOTE]

Nope. if you want to save games you need a memory unit or a HDD, but it's never required. this is the first game to require it.

[quote name='VipFREAK']One thing I won't bother with is online... As much as I think shooting though the walls is innovative, I could see all the nOObs shooting though the walls instead of using something like say... skill. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I could see that feature really pissing me off somewhere down the road. I hope it's not over-abused (I.E. Gears of War Shotgun).

[quote name='guynextshore']I can't decide between Delta or Echo... Honestly wouldn't mind either one - I simply can't wait for this to come out.[/quote]

I'm actually considering pre-ordering this...if i get on the beta. That will make or break my decision basically, so fingers are crossed i get on it and its fun.

[quote name='SynGamer']I'm actually considering pre-ordering this...if i get on the beta. That will make or break my decision basically, so fingers are crossed i get on it and its fun.[/quote]

Same here...
its one of the FEW games I plan on preordering - along with MGS4...
So many triple A titles comming up by this fall/winter/spring - My wallet will be hurting soon.

Achievement list is up:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/achievements.php?gameID=377

Earn a Winged Dagger (20 points)
Complete training at the Kill House

Make the Jump (20 points)
Infiltrate a Cargoship

Dancing in the Dark (20 points)
Kill the Power

Save the Bacon (20 points)
Protect 'War Pig' the Abrams tank

Bring 'Em Home (20 points)
Operate an AC-130 gun ship

Wrong Number (20 points)
Find Al-Asads Safehouse

Piggyback Ride (20 points)
Carry Cpt. MacMillian to safety

Desperate Measures (20 points)
Corner Zakhaev's Son

Win the War (40 points)

Complete the game on any difficulty

Look Sharp (20 points)
Find 15 enemy intel items

Eyes and Ears (20 points)
Find 30 enemy intel items

Down Boy Down (20 points)
Survive a dog attack

New Squadron Record (20 points)
Complete the cargoship mockup in less than 20 seconds

Rescue Roycewicz (20 points)
Save Pvt Roycewicz on the stairs

Your Show Sucks (20 points)

Destroy all the TVs showing Al-Asads speech

Man of the People (10 points)
Save the farmer

Straight Flush (20 points)
Kill 5 enemies with one shot while in the AC-130 gunship

Ghillies In the Mist (20 points)
Complete 'All Ghillied Up' without alerting any enemies

Mile High Club (20 points)
Sky dive to safety

No Rest for the Weary (10 points)
Don't let him get away

Daredevil (10 points)
Kill an enemy while blinded by a flashbang

Roadkill (10 points)
Kill 2 enemies by blowing up a car

Bird on the Ground (20 points)
Shoot down an enemy helicopter with an RPG

Four of a Kind (20 points)
Kill 4 enemies in a row with skilled shots

Three of a Kind (10 points)
Kill 3 enemies in a row with your knife

Deep and Hard (90 points)
Complete the game on hardened difficulty

The Package (40 points)
Secured the package

The Rescue (40 points)
Rescued the VIP

The Search (40 points)
Completed the search

The Escape (40 points)
Successfully Escaped

The Bog (40 points)

Survived the bog

The First Horseman (40 points)
One down three to go

The Second Horseman (40 points)
Two down two to go

The Shot (40 points)
Successfully took the shot

The Third Horseman (40 points)
Three down one to go

The Ultimatum (40 points)
Made the choice

The Fourth Horseman (40 points)
Then there was one.

------------------------------------------------------------

Some of them seem kinda obscure but they seem pretty good!

[quote name='help1']According to Activision, they ahve to pay MS a certain amount of money for each beta tester. I wouldn't be too certain that you will see THAT much more beta testing.[/quote]:bs:

Sorry to burst your bubble but...activison isn't doing COD 4.... Infinity ward is.
And i think any game that generates hype will have a beta. It did wonders for hype over halo 3. I wouldn't be too suprised if more games continue that trend.

Im not calling you a liar..

bread's done
Back