Call of Duty Black OPS

[quote name='The 7th Number']Black ops keeps sounding better and better. I just hope they have some really good maps. I liked most in WAW, but didnt like many from MW2.[/QUOTE]

The couple I've seen don't look amazing but they seem pretty standard for COD, I'd say average, but there are good number of maps that come on the disc so I'm content with that.

[quote name='Ziv']According to Josh Olin, Treyarch's community manager, during a twitter Q&A session: "When you first sight-in, your sights won't be perfectly center. You'll have to take a moment to adjust (like a real sniper).”

They intentionally gimped quickscoping and I'm glad.[/QUOTE]

That makes me really happy, that shit was ridiculous in MW2.

There WAS a new video of zombies, showing someone soloing up to Wave 7 or so on the first level... but it got taken down right after I saw it. That map is BIG (Kino Der Toten - Theater of the Dead), and it looks awesome. I also think zombies may scale with players, or at least, they seem a little easier to take down in solo mode. The map had seemingly tons of different traps, doors and mechanisms.

I also saw a couple videos, one of Villa, and one of Nuketown (prop dummy town with manicans all over). The maps look pretty good. Villa reminds me of CS.

Wow. Someone posted the entire ending of the game (btw, beware of spoilers from now on, browsing the internet). I only watched a small amount, but it looks extremely promising in comparison to the previous COD game endings.

It's gonna get out quickly, and in droves, once some troll sees it, I imagine. It's worth not knowing what happens, until you experience it.

[quote name='Rhett']Wow. Someone posted the entire ending of the game (btw, beware of spoilers from now on, browsing the internet). I only watched a small amount, but it looks extremely promising in comparison to the previous COD game endings.

It's gonna get out quickly, and in droves, once some troll sees it, I imagine. It's worth not knowing what happens, until you experience it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, super excited!

[quote name='A Happy Panda']People care about the story in CoD?[/QUOTE]

I don't, but I figured:

1: May as well warn of spoilers, or someone will bitch.

2: The ending... and so on, is epic.

I am kind of interested in the story. I definitely find the era to be an interedting setting like it was in Mgs 3:snake eater or the. Film munich. I hate all this future soldier super tech bullshit. Remember when you only had a fuckin tommy gun and a luger? Heartbeat sensors my ass.

Now granted I don't buy CoD games for the single player I figure since I usually play through the campaign before delving into mp for once I'd like to be greeted with a decent story. Black Ops will be the first where I'm highly liable to break tradition due to training grounds. I simply can't pass up the chance to study maps and weapons to get a leg up on the competition. Hell... one of the main reasons I even touch the campaign first is to get a feel for various mechanics and weaponry in the first place.

NINE MORE DAYS!

I was hoping, based on what I saw in early builds this game would look as good as MW2 cuz it looked kind of bad graphics wise when I first saw it, but from that trailer it looks as good as if not better than MW2.

I was so looking forward to being off next Tuesday and just found out today I might have to work. Pissed.

I know what you mean. When MW2 came out, I picked it up after work and took off the next day. I don't have as much time saved up this year to take it off.

Meh @ launch trailer

Know it's not gonna look like that or be that "action packed" while playing.

hEEd Ubisoft, Advanced war fighter now! I need a new FPS. :(

[quote name='VipFREAK']Meh @ launch trailer

Know it's not gonna look like that or be that "action packed" while playing.

hEEd Ubisoft, Advanced war fighter now! I need a new FPS. :([/QUOTE]

Had that preordered since before SC: Conviction.

damn I really hate single player...

The game looks quite nice...and the controls are pretty sweet.

Still has the great noob toob, but the enemies seem to take the pain from them better. Shot up several police cars with it though. First mission is to kill Castro in the Bay of Pigs.

Overall, after playing it for about 15 minutes, the single player is boring to me...but looks great.

Cant wait for MP!

[quote name='Trakan']http://www.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?now_playing_call_of_duty_black_ops20101101

Here's a good video showing off a few new maps, pro perks, and the wager gametypes.

Pro perks require 3 challenges to be completed. One example in the video is for Marathon Pro. Run 26 miles, get first blood 10 times, and capture 15 flags in CTF.

Looks like you'll have to play specific gametypes to acquire pro perks.[/QUOTE]

I really like that. My friends only like to play Deathmatch even though we can wreck teams in other modes. Hopefully this will make them do those other modes.

Doesn't look like I'll have Marathon Pro for a while... >_>

On the other hand, it lessens the chances of Marathon being extremely overpopulating on classes. Imagine if everyone saw that it required 15 flag caps, and every game was 6v6 marathon flag runners trying to cap 3 times before the other team does? Oh God.

Whoever was playing was leveling really fast, getting up to level 9 in about an hour of sub-par/average playing. That's even including a few wager matches.

I'm liking how this is looking, everything looks slower than MW2 which I like a lot and people are trying to knife other people and missing from a range that would normally kill someone or trigger the lunge in MW2. I like that especially, no more bullshit getting knifed from 30 feet out after you shoot someone in the face.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I watched that gamespot video for 30 minutes and I like what I've seen. I'm a little worried that the maps will be sort of lame. I played just a smidge of Modern Warfare 1 on my young stepbros xbox just goofing around and the map was some aircraft carrier at night or some jets on an airfield and they're just awful because as a player you have no sense of land marks or your orientation on the level because it all seems like a bunch of props dropped onto a set.

Nuketown didn't look that great, but whatever. I definitely will be interested in the 'pure' games every now and then and the wager matches. I think it's really smart to give players an incentive to play the game with certain settings.

edit: I am very much looking forward to customizing my own soldier. Like Wombat, I also like collecting hats (and camo, armor, face paint, gun colors, icons).

Anyone know when the review embargo will be lifted? I'm really curious as to the critical reception the game will receive. Will there be effects from the MW2 backlash, or will the overwhelming popularity of the CoD series sway the reviews?

Regardless, I'm pretty excited about Black Ops. I think Treyarch finally has their $#^* together.

I do enjoy CODs change of pace with earning more weapons, add-ons, etc. I think that's the reason I couldn't get into Reach. I got it first day and haven't played too much and haven't bought anything with the credits.

One thing I don't like because it's not in here and I actually miss from MW2 is the premade name plates.

I really enjoyed unlocking the nameplates cuz for what it's worth I think they did a pretty good job on them and making them cool looking.

I know you can customize your own but it's only going to be like Windows Paint from what I've seen, no images but I'm sure it won't break the game.

I have a dilemma with this game though, I have 2 copies coming to me, both paid for, because I have friends around my house that play on PS3, I have friends in other states that play on 360 and I'm a predominantly 360 gamer since I've had it longer. I feel stupid(for obvious reasons) buying the same game for 2 different systems but I have a somewhat justified reason behind it.
Anyone have any input on my situation or have a similar situation with multiplatform friends?

There are is another CAG that I frequently play with that has MW2 for both systems and I know he plays mostly on the 360 with all of us and then he has the PS3 version which I believe he plays with some of his friends from back in college (at least I think that's where they are from).

I wouldnt even bother trying to play COD on two different systems. Unless you really dont care about getting to a high rank/unlocking stuff, and enjoy it just because you are playing with friends. Otherwise it seems kind of pointless to play one version of the game, when you could be playing the version you play most, and earn more on that version.

I'm not really concerned about "earning" anything. Just playing with friends. But yeah I thought about that, I'll make the most progress if I only had 1 copy.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Anyone know when the review embargo will be lifted? I'm really curious as to the critical reception the game will receive. Will there be effects from the MW2 backlash, or will the overwhelming popularity of the CoD series sway the reviews?

Regardless, I'm pretty excited about Black Ops. I think Treyarch finally has their $#^* together.[/QUOTE]

You know its going to get scores in the 90's no matter what

[quote name='slickkill77']You know its going to get scores in the 90's no matter what[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm expecting. But that's what MW2 got, and in retrospect, probably didn't deserve.

Everything looking good so far, I like what I've been seeing as far as the multiplayer goes. Spoilers galore all over the internet though, since the game has been leaked. Thats right you Jack Sparrows, the game's been leaked and as such entire walkthroughs of the entire campaign are out and about. Ugh, can't even surf some forums now I'm too worried about the spoilers. I am 76% certain the multiplayer will be 64% better then MW2 though. :applause:

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit'] I am 76% certain the multiplayer will be 64% better then MW2 though. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Bravo to you, sir! Brilliant!

[quote name='Dr.Zoidberg']Somehow World at War got a 9.2 at IGN and that score was definitely bought and paid for.[/QUOTE]

Many of IGN's scores are bought and paid for it seems. I don't trust them, Gamespot or Gamepro (especially Gamepro and IGN seem extra corrupt).

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Many of IGN's scores are bought and paid for it seems. I don't trust them, Gamespot or Gamepro (especially Gamepro and IGN seem extra corrupt).[/QUOTE]

Not that it matters (if people even go there)... Gamer's Hell pads scores as well. Though, it's not uncommon for review sites to pad scores based on their relationship with the publisher. If you don't give favorable reviews, they're more hesitant on sending future review copies.

But, Black Ops will probably be decent. Between zombies, the unknown co-op mode, and the removal of a bunch of controversial features (StP, Jug, Kill-streak...streaks) I'm not sure the game can go down the same path as MW2. Plus, (at least to my current knowledge) cheaters are not a problem on newer games with the new dashboard. (yet..? ugh)

The co-op has been reported to be "Dead Ops Arcade" which is a twin of Zombie Apocalypse. It is an overhead zombie mode.

Holding my fingers that you will be able to play as
JFK, McNamara, Nixon, and Castro
in the arcade mode as well.

[quote name='hawkhogan']When will you guys start signing up CAGS for the Black Ops Clan?[/QUOTE]

There isn't one, is there?

I guess I wouldn't be opposed to joining one. I have no interest in clan politics, or "clan battles", though. Just want some people to reliably play with who are mature. Especially for zombies and/or co-op. :applause:

Apparently (this could easily change after it launches, who knows) Combat Training (bots) require you to be connected to LIVE to play with. That kinda sucks. Kinda defeats the point, eh?

[quote name='hustletron']Well someone already stated a thread on the PS3 boards for a CAG BO Clan.[/QUOTE]

too bad this isnt a PS3 forums :applause:

[quote name='Aceboogz']too bad this isnt a PS3 forums :applause:[/QUOTE]

Too bad this isn't a troll forum.

[quote name='hawkhogan']When will you guys start signing up CAGS for the Black Ops Clan?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hustletron']Well someone already stated a thread on the PS3 boards for a CAG BO Clan.[/QUOTE]

There is a Call of Duty gamertag that is used... MSUHitman runs it, I will talk to him tonight and see if he can clean up the tag.

There is a group of about 30 of us that have been playing games together pretty much nightly for the past 2-3 years. We are happy to pick up newcomers whenever as long as you aren't a dickhead (meaning don't be the typical Live gamer). It is fine if you talk shit, as I am probably one of the top 3 at doing it in the group, but don't start getting Imus on people and it's cool.

Send me an invite on Live and make sure to include that you are a CAG and I'll try to get you in whatever it is we are playing that night.

Games played ranges from everything to some sports games, arcade games (Castlevania HD has been a huge one for at least 6 of them recently), all of the Call of Duty games, Medal of Honor, and a few others.

I'm not a fan of big parties (not to mention all the chatting, and loudness, which often makes it pretty hard to communicate something important). I was just looking for 1-3 people who'd play Black Ops regularly enough and are fairly mature about it.

Didn't know you guys had something going, though. :D

bread's done
Back