Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I don't suppose anyone got ahold of the Feb newsletters from Rogers/Blockbuster?[/quote]

To answer my own question, Rogers has no advertised gaming deals this month, and Blockbuster advertised their Trade-4. :cry:

Trade 3 for 1 I belive is still on for
Turok, SSM Brawl, Devil may Cry 4. Burnout Paradise, Haze.

stores should still honor the Trade 3 for 1 for about 2 weeks past the release dates so if you still want to get those games after reading the reviews theres ur opertunity.

My own question:
Say for example I have a launch 60 GB PS3 and have the box and UPC code for it.
Can i use a recent reciept from a 40/80 GB PS3 to claim the Blu ray deal?

[quote name='Estymagic']
My own question:
Can i use a recent reciept from a 40/80 GB PS3 to claim the Blu ray deal?[/quote]

Probably not...the UPC's will inform them that it is from a 60GB unit. Though, it may be worth the try...you never know how diligent they are being, but I'm going to assume that the UPC's differ in some aspect. You should look at a UPC for a 40/80 and see how different the numbers are.

[quote name='Estymagic']Trade 3 for 1 I belive is still on for

stores should still honor the Trade 3 for 1 for about 2 weeks past the release dates so if you still want to get those games after reading the reviews theres ur opertunity.

My own question:
Can i use a recent reciept from a 40/80 GB PS3 to claim the Blu ray deal?[/quote]

It all depends on the purchase date on the receipt, regardless of PS3 model. So if, a big if, the launch PS3 was bought after Oct 2007, it should be eligible for the promo. If the receipt says anything related to the model such as model name, UPC, etc, I would say you should not waste your UPC for nothing.

I heard someone actually photoshopped ineligible receipt and got the offer. He actually phoned the 1-800 number on the form and bluffed that the store he bought closed. The guy said they do not verify the purchase with the store. This is very YMMV, and might considered as a fraud. Is it worth trying for 5 bluray movies? It's upto you.

[quote name='Estymagic']Trade 3 for 1 I belive is still on for

[/quote]

Do they change the games ever so often?
Like, will there be one for GTA4?

[quote name='craig64']Has anyone seen nunchucks for less than $24.99? I don't imagine so, but I figure I might as well check.[/QUOTE]

Toys R Us had them for $19.97 a couple weeks ago. I think it's $19.99 on Amazon.ca: buy 2 for free shipping.

[quote name='Zyzomys']Has anyone seen Resitance: Fall of Man cheaper than MSRP in Canada? I want to buy this game but I refuse to pay full price for something over 1-year old.[/quote]

I found Resistance at the Gatineau Loblaws (Maloney Blvd.) for $49.99. I think this is their regular price as it just had a normal shelf tag. Not a great deal but better than $60 at BB or FS.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']
I have a question about Wii remotes and nunchuks. This week Toys R Us has them at $5 off each. Do sales like that happen very often? I know Dell had the $54 bundle and the Wii Play + nunchuk for $49.99... besides those, have there been other deals in the past? Thanks.[/quote]

Best wiimote deal I've ever seen was Wiiplay at zellers for 39.99 before christmas. Beyond that, the only deal on the nunchuk I have ever seen was the 5 dollars off you mentioned above, toys r us likes to do it every once in a while and I've seen the same price at other stores before. Guess they are just trying to pass off what the real price should be as a "sale".

This isn't really a huge deal...but I have found that Zellers currently has Wii Points cards for $19.99, which is about $5 off anywhere else. It's not a huge deal, and I don't think it's a sale (but I have seen it fluctuate between 24.99 and 19.99), but it is worth checking out. It's $5 savings.

[quote name='Cosmic Dare']Are there currently any stores selling the 2 pack official PS2 memory cards for less than $25?[/quote]

Geez, I'm sure someone mentioned this recently... Walmart I think?

Just a request for Ottawa-region CAGers:

If you, when shopping for your own deals/games, happen to spot a new copy of Bioshock Limited Edition for the 360, please give me a shout!

I've checked out plenty of stores, including the recommended EBGames. They told me that I'll have a very hard time finding it, and I'm inclined to agree. It seems this was actually "limited" unlike, say, Halo 3's "limited" copies.

So yeah, in the off-chance anyone does spot one, please let me know :)

Princess Zelda: I checked out the Kanata EB a couple of weeks back. Turns out they do still have a special edition Bioshock, but it's for the PC. I thought it was the 360 one when I saw it too, but alas, heh. Good eye, though, thanks.

^I wouldn't be able to pick it up for you or anything, but I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I see it around anywhere. ;)

Anyone know of any free gaming magazine subscriptions that work for Canada? I see free EGM subs all the time, but they are always restricted to the US. I just want something to read on the can.

Hell, even non-gaming magazines will do. Something, anything.

you don't need magazines for that!
do what i always do...play your PSP or DS Lite when doing number 2.
just be careful not to drop the stylus...not that it's happened to me

[quote name='DMPugh']Anyone know of any free gaming magazine subscriptions that work for Canada? I see free EGM subs all the time, but they are always restricted to the US. I just want something to read on the can.

Hell, even non-gaming magazines will do. Something, anything.[/quote]

Sign up for the EGM offers when you see them using a US address (a hotel works fine). Change it to your own address a month later when it appears in Ziff Davis' customer service system. Thta's what I did for my sub.

[quote name='DMPugh']Anyone know of any free gaming magazine subscriptions that work for Canada? I see free EGM subs all the time, but they are always restricted to the US. I just want something to read on the can.

Hell, even non-gaming magazines will do. Something, anything.[/QUOTE]
Alternatively, if you subscribe through their website it's cheaper, only $28. Well worth it IMO.

[quote name='Firestorm']Sign up for the EGM offers when you see them using a US address (a hotel works fine). Change it to your own address a month later when it appears in Ziff Davis' customer service system. Thta's what I did for my sub.[/quote]

HOT TIP!!!
Thanks,
FIRESTORM!!!

Anyone know EB's policy on return of PO games? I just bought Saint's Row yesterday and the game is scratched to hell. I haven't tested it yet but it looks like crap. I don't understand why they put that sticker on it sealing the case. I guess I'll have to call them later today.

[quote name='darkandlong']Anyone know EB's policy on return of PO games? I just bought Saint's Row yesterday and the game is scratched to hell. I haven't tested it yet but it looks like crap. I don't understand why they put that sticker on it sealing the case. I guess I'll have to call them later today.[/quote]

Take it back and just say it doesn't work... they'll give you another one. The sticker is their way of seeing if you've played the used game you bought or not. They'll give a refund if the sticker isn't broken, and if you're smooth you can get the disc out without breaking the seal. :p

[quote name='Nesmaster']Take it back and just say it doesn't work... they'll give you another one. The sticker is their way of seeing if you've played the used game you bought or not. They'll give a refund if the sticker isn't broken, and if you're smooth you can get the disc out without breaking the seal. :p[/quote]

Well I've already opened it. I'll probably call them up and tell them it doesn't work. I'll even take store credit, I just don't want such a craptastic disc. Only disc I've seen marginally worse was a copy of Prey I picked up off ebay - thing would take forever to read and some audio would skip.

Thanks.

Yeah they're just going to switch the disc for you. I don't think they'll give store credit unless they don't have another copy of the game in stock. They'll likely have another copy of Saints Row used though.

I always ask to see the disc before they seal the game up, and if it doesn't look good I'll request another one. Just saves me time in the long run.

[quote name='DMPugh']Yeah they're just going to switch the disc for you. I don't think they'll give store credit unless they don't have another copy of the game in stock. They'll likely have another copy of Saints Row used though.[/QUOTE]
It's been awhile but when I bought Midtown Madness for the Xbox it was scratched and wouldn't play but they didn't have another one so they got another store to ship them one.

Sigh, you guys need to be set straight.
Seal broken:
You have 7 days for a COMPLETE refund...in store credit. Basically A FREE RENTAL. They can ask you to pick anything eles, but I would get a gift card. You can even use the credit towards new consoles.

Unbroken:
You have 30 days for a COMPLETE REFUND.....ie in the method you paid for your game.

The old 14 day policy/exchange only/Calling another store for stock are ALL OLD EB POLICIES B4 GAMESTOP BOUGHT THEM....yes the above are EB CANADA'S POLICY.

Anyone know the best place to buy external hard drives? I haven't decided how big I want it but the usual places like best buy seem over priced...

Thanks.

[quote name='gamer602']Sigh, you guys need to be set straight.
Seal broken:
You have 7 days for a COMPLETE refund...in store credit. Basically A FREE RENTAL. They can ask you to pick anything eles, but I would get a gift card. You can even use the credit towards new consoles.

Unbroken:
You have 30 days for a COMPLETE REFUND.....ie in the method you paid for your game.

The old 14 day policy/exchange only/Calling another store for stock are ALL OLD EB POLICIES B4 GAMESTOP BOUGHT THEM....yes the above are EB CANADA'S POLICY.[/quote]

Man why are you shouting? Yeah thanks for "setting us straight", but geez...

[quote name='DMPugh']Man why are you shouting? Yeah thanks for "setting us straight", but geez...[/quote]

I'm not shouting.
I just like using capitals for the impotant parts....
please dont take it the wrong way...

[quote name='Faytz']Anyone know the best place to buy external hard drives? I haven't decided how big I want it but the usual places like best buy seem over priced...

Thanks.[/quote]

NCIX in BC. Aim for about 5GB per dollar: that was Boxing Day, so prices are probably higher now, but they'll come down.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']NCIX in BC. Aim for about 5GB per dollar: that was Boxing Day, so prices are probably higher now, but they'll come down.[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply, the one they have to 149.99 for 500gb seems ok, not sure if it's a good brand though, anyone have any preferences or suggestions for external hard drive brands?

hey, i'm looking for deals in toronto for the orange box (360), no more heroes, and zak and wiki...

i'm not sure if that's how i'm supposed 2 post this in this thread, but any help is appreciated. =)

Zack & Wiki is $30 at Futureshop right now and might still be $30 at EB, those are probably the best prices you'll get without finding it used. As far as The Orange Box and No More Heroes go that'll be much more difficult to find a deal on. I think the general suggestion would be to wait for a Rogers 2/30 or 2/40 to come back on but there's no word on when that'll happen.

[quote name='Faytz']Thanks for the quick reply, the one they have to 149.99 for 500gb seems ok, not sure if it's a good brand though, anyone have any preferences or suggestions for external hard drive brands?[/QUOTE]
I tend to buy the cheapest one I can find, but the Western Digital MyBook series seems to be an excellent series of drives.

[quote name='Faytz']Thanks for the quick reply, the one they have to 149.99 for 500gb seems ok, not sure if it's a good brand though, anyone have any preferences or suggestions for external hard drive brands?[/quote]

I have an 250GB Iomega external, and it works fine: it's quiet and while not super-fast (USB is much slower than FireWire) it gets the job done.

I think the Western Digitals have a 3-year warranty while other brands have 1, so that's a plus. It really depends on the hard drive inside: a no-name brand may have a Seagate inside. Unfortunately there's no way to tell what brand is inside without opening it up. I hear Seagate a lot, and WD as well. I believe it was Maxtor(?) which had tons of problems a few years back.

Of course, all the geeks on RFD will tell you to buy an internal drive and stick it in an enclosure: it's cheaper and you get the 5-year warranty of the drive.

[quote name='firehawk12']Yeah, definitely go with the enclosure![/quote]

Ya it's a bit hard to do that with a laptop though.... I need an external hard drive so I can bring my data's on a long trip ._.

I have a new question.

I have not received my five free bluray movies from the promotion that was offered until September 30, 2007. They claimed 6-8 weeks for shipping.

Has anyone else received/not received their movies? Is there any way I can follow up with the promotors on this?

Thanks,

Aaron.

[quote name='Faytz']Anyone know the best place to buy external hard drives? I haven't decided how big I want it but the usual places like best buy seem over priced...

Thanks.[/quote]

Staples has a 500GB Maxtor 1Touch, a really good USB2.0 only drive for $120. Buy it online for free shipping.

[quote name='Jest']Staples has a 500GB Maxtor 1Touch, a really good USB2.0 only drive for $120. Buy it online for free shipping.[/quote]

Wow thanks for the heads up. It seems staples has the best prices for external hard drives :p I just ordered one so thanks for the help everyone.

[quote name='LazyAaron']I have a new question.

I have not received my five free bluray movies from the promotion that was offered until September 30, 2007. They claimed 6-8 weeks for shipping.

Has anyone else received/not received their movies? Is there any way I can follow up with the promotors on this?

Thanks,

Aaron.[/quote]

my dad sent away for the same deal and still hasn't received his, either. i don't know if there's much else that can be done except wait, unless there's some contact info on the blraysavings.com site.

my guess is that it's still severely backed up from the glut of people who bought PS3's for the holidays, and likely will continue to be that way for a while.

bread's done
Back