Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

Ive got another question.

Anyone know where I can find the Xbox 360 Wifi Adaptor cheap? I'm hoping not $100...

[quote name='spzero']Ive got another question.

Anyone know where I can find the Xbox 360 Wifi Adaptor cheap? I'm hoping not $100...[/quote]

Ebay would be the best place, or even Craigslist, RDF, Kijiji etc.

It's just hard to find an exact deal since there's about a good hundred people looking for the same thing you are.

Anyone know where I can find the Xbox 360 Wifi Adaptor cheap? I'm hoping not $100...[/quote]
I picked mine up about 6 months ago for $60 off craigslist.
It was originally listed for $80, so don't be afraid to reply/haggle if its been there for a month or so

Sorry to mega-nerd this up, but if you don't mind a bit of work you can buy a WRT54GL router online for about $60, load DD-WRT firmware on it and use as a wireless bridge.

That way you get a wireless adapter and a pretty powerful router once the 360 becomes obsolete.

Anyone know where I can get a cheap 360 controller, in the Montreal/West Island region?
BB has em for 60+tx
Same with FutureShop....
anywhere else I should look into?

[quote name='HyeVltg3']Anyone know where I can get a cheap 360 controller, in the Montreal/West Island region?
BB has em for 60+tx
Same with FutureShop....
anywhere else I should look into?[/quote]

you miss a deal where factorydirect.ca have wireless 360 controller for PC for 20$+shipping and tax

I saw 2 at my local EB Games for $65 used
Not a bad deal if you have an edge card

[quote name='poiuiu']I see silver GC controllers in Zellers for 24.99 often enough. You should try there if not check EBgames, they should have one or two.[/quote]
I've only seen a Gamecube controller at Zellers once, but it was bundled with some Mario tennis game, I think it was $59.99! I'll go to some other Zellers' this weekend to see if I can find just the single controller. :)

[quote name='Princess Zelda']
But if you can you should order the new white "Gamecube" one from Play Asia for the Wii. The cord is almost 10 feet which is better the Gamecubes regular controller length of 6 1/2.[/quote]

That's a great backup plan if I don't find one in stores. Thanks a lot!

well hey guys I'm up north for a bit looking for a surgeon and since it seems like I'm gonna be here for a while I figured I might as well scout out the Canada region threads. I'm from Atlanta. I'm in Toronto. No questions yet but when I get some I know where to go.

[quote name='Wolfkin']well hey guys I'm up north for a bit looking for a surgeon and since it seems like I'm gonna be here for a while I figured I might as well scout out the Canada region threads. I'm from Atlanta. I'm in Toronto. No questions yet but when I get some I know where to go.[/quote]

Welcome to the forum. Sorry that you're not in Canada for a nicer reason...

[quote name='Kekumba']Anyone know a good place to get N64 controllers? Need 3 for Sunday.[/quote]
Kijiji/Craigslist is probably your best bet unless you've got a specialty game store nearby, but they'll probably charge quite a bit more than random soccer moms trying to ditch their kids old toys.

Question: I know this is partially should be in the TIV topic but this is also a question. I plan on getting the socom bundle with the headset however I will not be playing Socom as I have tried the beta and it's not my cup of tea. How much do you think I would possibly get in-store credit for the unopened game which retails for about $39.99?

[quote name='Lot.us']I plan on getting the socom bundle with the headset however I will not be playing Socom as I have tried the beta and it's not my cup of tea. How much do you think I would possibly get in-store credit for the unopened game which retails for about $39.99?[/QUOTE]

I guess you're getting it for the headset, if not why get it at all
You may be better trading/selling here, EB will probably give you half retail

Anyone know where I can buy/get a PS3 game case? My dad thought he was being a help unwrapping my SOCOM: Confrontation game, and he ripped off the plastic covering that holds the artwork in place :cry:
*sigh*

[quote name='AJD23']Anyone know where I can buy/get a PS3 game case? My dad thought he was being a help unwrapping my SOCOM: Confrontation game, and he ripped off the plastic covering that holds the artwork in place :cry:
*sigh*[/quote]

You could buy a LittleBigPlanet preorder from Future Shop.

Any one able to find Dead Space anywhere. I checked EB/FS/BB/HMV. No luck.

[quote name='method47']You could buy a LittleBigPlanet preorder from Future Shop.

Any one able to find Dead Space anywhere. I checked EB/FS/BB/HMV. No luck.[/quote]

Heh good idea, was gonna trade in some games tomorrow anyways. No sight of Dead Space either...tried EB/Gamestop, Future Shop and BBV. Should find it tomorrow though, I read it was shipped to retailers today, so I'm sure today wasn't the street date, but the ship date.

I just have a quick question I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me with. I've been stuck with the same crappy 27" standard tube TV for the longest time, and I'm finally thinking of going HD.

I looked at TV on the FS website and by the specs I was mostly interested by the 32" Sony Bravia... but the in store model did little to impress me - and it was priced wrong, or at least differently than it was priced on their website. My price range is rather small... I'd love to get a nice expensive TV, it's just not in my budget at all. There was a 42" Insignia that I'm planning on buying from all of the positive reviews I've read - though I haven't made up my mind yet.

Now on with the question - What kind of coverage/warranty is included with a new TV if you don't buy the product service plan with the TV? Is it just like 2 weeks or something to return it if it has problems - or is it basically out of their hands if there are problems out of the box? I know I should get the service plan... it's just fairly pricey. (but it does come with a 1 year manufacturer warranty).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

My budget is less than $1000.... so it's really not too high (I'd like it under $1000 after taxes, and preferably with a warranty). I was mostly looking at the Sony Bravia 32", it's just that when I actually went and saw it in store the picture was far from ideal. That TV only went up to 720P, so when I saw the Insignia was only like $100 more, went up to 1080p, and it's picture was a lot cleaner that's where my attention went. On the US Best Buy website there are 134/144 positive reviews for the TV... so it seems tempting.

You have to remember though, resolution isn't the most important aspect when it comes to TV's, and the difference between 1080p and 720p is minimal when viewing on a TV under 50" and less than 10 feet away.
http://www.hdforindies.com/uploaded_images/resolution_chart-790251.jpg

I usually look at TV's based on how they appeal to the eye. If you find that TV that impresses you and is within your budget go for it. Not too sure on the Insignia brand itself though. If you're concerned about warranty, I think the standard manufacturer's warranty for TV's is 1 year? and 14 days with Best Buy/Future Shop. Personally I've never had any issues with a brand new TV, and have never bothered with an extended warranty from any store, it just ups the price of your total cost, unless you buy more things from them (stand, wall-mount, cables, etc.) and they lower your price accordingly. Sharp, Samsung, Sony & Toshiba are good brands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info AJD, that's awesome. I know basically nothing about HDTV's, so that's really helpful.

When I went to FS the main thing I did was really just look at the TV's and see which one looked best. I'm mostly just wanting a TV to play my games on - so I figured 1080p would just whoop 780p. It was really just hard to tell any difference, because whatever channel was on the TV's just looked like complete ass at FS - but it looked nicer on the Insignia, so that's why I was liking that one more. Thanks for the info on the warranty as well... because if I add the 2 year warranty it's an extra $130 on top of that, and I can just imagine what else I could buy with the money I'd save not getting the warranty.

I'm still going to have to keep looking into this I'm thinking, but thanks for the advice. Hopefully next time I go to FS they'll have the TV's set to a decent channel, because the only TV's that looked decent were the $1500+ sets.

One other question - I believe all TV's have an "environmental fee" or something like that when you buy a TV, and last time I got a TV for $90 and it was $25 for the TV. Does anyone know if this goes up if it's a more expensive TV, or is it $25 for any TV?

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem, anything to help.

If you want, just grab an employee in the department, and ask if they can put on a movie on a TV you're interested in. They usually find no problem in doing so if a Blu-Ray/ Upscaled DVD player is readily accessible, and you "sound" like you're ready to purchase one :)
That can possibly give you a better impression on what TV you're set for.

EDIT: As for environmental fee's I found this:
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/top...berta_edr?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs&~lt=popup

Man! You rock! That enviromental fee link helps me budget this a lot better, and I think I will ask them to put a movie on the TV just to see if I really do like it or not! Thanks!

I don't want to create a new thread just to post a few minor deals I've seen this week. Most CAG's read this so:

The Genesis Collection PS2 dropped down to $4.99 used at EB games. It's cheeper then one Genesis game on the Wii's VC.

Playstation Optical Digital cable is $2 new at BBV. It's 10 feet long, quality construction and works with anything. The Kanata Centrum location had 3 left.

Some Walmarts have more $5 HD DVD's. Kanata Walmart had a lot of Transformers and Shrek the Third.

I'm sorry if this has come up before, but I recently heard about the American TRU's 3 for 2 deal, and I do know that has existed in Canada in the past but can't recall any details. Was it around this time in the year? Was it simultaneous with the sale in USA stores in previous years? Has Toys R Us explicitly said that this deal will not be returning north of the border?
Thanks in advance if anyone has any info they can offer.

[quote name='Princess Zelda']
The Genesis Collection PS2 dropped down to $4.99 used at EB games. It's cheeper then one Genesis game on the Wii's VC.
[/quote]

For 5 bucks, I'd buy Genny collection again. However, depending on the person, it's still preferable to get the VC version due to perfect emulation rather than passable to 'you'll only notice a difference if you're obsessive'.

Also, any word on the PSP version?

[quote name='Princess Zelda']Some Walmarts have more $5 HD DVD's. Kanata Walmart had a lot of Transformers and Shrek the Third.[/quote]

I can verify that there are lots of these at Capilano Walmart in Edmonton. I didn't look at them (as I don't think I'll ever find an HD DVD player), but I did see several copies of Shrek 3 and Transformers.

Is the Samsung 40' LCD 450 at Best Buy on sale, or is 899 regular price?
I'm not sure if I should buy one now, or wait until Boxing Day

[quote name='Sousanator']Is the Samsung 40' LCD 450 at Best Buy on sale, or is 899 regular price?
I'm not sure if I should buy one now, or wait until Boxing Day[/QUOTE]

It seems regular price to me. I would wait until boxing week. Only 2 months left :)

I don't know that this warrants a new thread so I will phrase it in the form of a question:

Anyone notice that Fable 2 is 49.99 at amazon.ca?

(is there a pre-order bonus for it from amazon?)

Hi gang. Say, anyone pre-ordered a copy of Dead Space from EB Games and pick it up yet? I got mine today, but I read somewhere online that EB was supposed to give me a code to get the Scorpion Suit for free. Has anyone got that code? Damn, got to go back tomorrow and ask about that. Thx in advance!

[quote name='tigerhawk33']Hi gang. Say, anyone pre-ordered a copy of Dead Space from EB Games and pick it up yet? I got mine today, but I read somewhere online that EB was supposed to give me a code to get the Scorpion Suit for free. Has anyone got that code? Damn, got to go back tomorrow and ask about that. Thx in advance![/quote]

I pre-ordered but I didn't get a code. I did get an art book, however. It's pretty spiffy, if not a bit small. If you do get that code, be warned if you haven't already heard: the suits you get from DLC are automatically at their max level and can't be upgraded. I've heard that at least one of them has a lower armour rating than the normal maxed out suit as well. I've had a friend restart the game because of that.

Paid cash for a video game at Future Shop but unable to play at all due to tearing problem, so I want to see if it is possible to get a full refund on opened video game? BTW dont want an exchange cause I already got another copy and same problem. Plmk.

Thanks!

Good luck with that one. The policy at most stores is to replace a defective game with another copy of the same game - and it is opened in front of the customer. I suggest you try selling them on here or take them to EBGames and get $8.00 credit for each game.

EB has this Trade-1 promo for the following DS games:
Brain Age
Brain Age 2
Big Brain Academy
Flash Focus
Crossword DS
Hotel Dusk
Clubhouse Games
Mystery Case Files: Millonheir

Any recommendations? We only have one DS so it'll have to be local multiplayer. I'm mainly looking at Clubhouse Games, Crosswords, and the Brain games. Thanks.

The game I've spent the most time playing on my DS is Clubhouse Games. It also has online multiplayer. Amazing time waster for traveling. I also learned a bunch of new board and Card games through it. You can change the AI for making the games more of a challenge.
Brain Age 1/2 I had fun with the first few weeks but mostly use it for sudoku and 2 has a decent version of DR Mario.
If you have a Wii most of these games have a demo in the Nintendo Channel.

[quote name='Princess Zelda']The game I've spent the most time playing on my DS is Clubhouse Games. It also has online multiplayer. Amazing time waster for traveling.[/quote]
I could play Picross DS all day, and I have. I have put so much time into that, everyone should check it out. But don't play too much or you'll start getting those puzzles running through your mind at all times, I had to cut back!

Clubhouse games is digital crack; I gave three copies to three seperate family members and when they're not playing the game of the month, they're addicted to Solitaire.

This may have already been asked (maybe even in this thread), but does anyone know the best way to get a Wii Fit? For added challenge, I live in Victoria, which is a capital but acts like a backwater. I really just don't want to pay double for it on ebay or Amazon. I'm a CAG noob, so I may well be missing the obvious.

[quote name='Pl8to']This may have already been asked (maybe even in this thread), but does anyone know the best way to get a Wii Fit? For added challenge, I live in Victoria, which is a capital but acts like a backwater. I really just don't want to pay double for it on ebay or Amazon. I'm a CAG noob, so I may well be missing the obvious.[/quote]

Best way would be to check Toys R Us and Future Shop every Friday or Saturday: ask the clerks when their next shipment is coming in.

The only place I've seen it instock for any length of time is Sears, ToysrUs and the grocery stores like Real Canadian Super Store.

Thanks guys. I was hoping the answer would involve less footwork, but I suppose that's reality. Whoever sweats it, gets it. So I will commence touring the Futureshops, Superstores, Blockbuster Videos and Rogers. And Sears (weird).

Might want to give them a call to check on stock before heading out, that way you don't end up wasting your time and energy. I'm pretty sure they'll hold a copy for you if you show up same day.

[quote name='Pl8to']Thanks guys. I was hoping the answer would involve less footwork, but I suppose that's reality. Whoever sweats it, gets it. So I will commence touring the Futureshops, Superstores, Blockbuster Videos and Rogers. And Sears (weird).[/quote]

It's also worth checking Shopper's Drug Mart. I've seen Wiis and Wii Fit in stock on occasion.

Has anyone seen Bioshock on 360 for $29.99 or less? I'm thinking of getting it for a friend for Christmas, but I don't really want to pay more than that...

bread's done
Back