Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

[quote name='game_fanatic']hey guys, I just had another couple questions about shipping and goozex; I sent a chap my copy of inFAMOUS on Tuesday evening at about 6pm (June 30th); obviously I missed the Tuesday shipment, and no shipments would've gone out on Wednesday, with it being the greatest day in this country's history, so the game would've been sent out thursday; today he sent me a msg saying he never received it...isn't he being a little anxious on getting the game? Does anyone know the general ship time from Toronto to Montreal?

Also, just say this guy receives the game, but tells goozex he never received it; what steps would I follow to get my points? It seems goozex does a great job at protecting the buying, but not the seller.[/QUOTE]Hey game_fanatic,

Yes, they are being anxious! It usually takes about 2-6 business days from Ontario to Quebec.

I have never used delivery confirmation and so far I have never had someone claim game not received in over 100 games sent out. Goozex may seem to protect the buyers more, but as a seller, if you can provide reasonable proof that you sent the game, they will probably give you the benefit of the doubt and refund your points. They track any patterns and review your account history when making the decision, so unless it looks like you're abusing the system, they should refund your points.

Always make sure to give them as much detail as possible in your emails, and be friendly, courteous, and professional!

Goozex is awesome! ;)

[quote name='dtp11']Hey game_fanatic,

Yes, they are being anxious! It usually takes about 2-6 business days from Ontario to Quebec.

I have never used delivery confirmation and so far I have never had someone claim game not received in over 100 games sent out. Goozex may seem to protect the buyers more, but as a seller, if you can provide reasonable proof that you sent the game, they will probably give you the benefit of the doubt and refund your points. They track any patterns and review your account history when making the decision, so unless it looks like you're abusing the system, they should refund your points.

Always make sure to give them as much detail as possible in your emails, and be friendly, courteous, and professional!

Goozex is awesome! ;)[/QUOTE]

I have had similar luck as dtp11 I have sent out 60 games and none of them with delivery confirmation as the price for it is insane and not worth it and I have never had a problem with someone not recieving a game. In my experience most of the users on Goozex are honest but there are some dishonest ones out there. Also there are some impatient ones that feel they should recieve their games within a couple of days of being matched. Anyways the game should get there today or tomorrow and if they havent got it by next thursday I would start getting worried.

I've just started using goozex and it's been going pretty good so far without any delivery confirmation. But in case something happens, what would be reasonable proof you sent it? A picture of the envelope and game?

[quote name='TripleQ']I've just started using goozex and it's been going pretty good so far without any delivery confirmation. But in case something happens, what would be reasonable proof you sent it? A picture of the envelope and game?[/QUOTE]

If you send it through the post office a reciept should be reasonable proof. I am not sure what it says on the reciept since I dont go to the post office to send my games out as I have a lot of stamps that I can use.

I know that several members in the US just e-mailed a copy of their reciept and it was deemed proof that they sent the game and they got their points for the game as well as the buyer getting their points back.

[quote name='dtp11']Hey game_fanatic,

Goozex is awesome! ;)[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the words of encouragement dtp11! I'm hoping the buyer has received the game today, so hopefully when I get back from buying my Macbook Pro I'll have receive a positive review from him and 1000 points in my account :)

[quote name='killmak']If you send it through the post office a reciept should be reasonable proof. I am not sure what it says on the reciept since I dont go to the post office to send my games out as I have a lot of stamps that I can use.

I know that several members in the US just e-mailed a copy of their reciept and it was deemed proof that they sent the game and they got their points for the game as well as the buyer getting their points back.[/QUOTE]

Everytime I've gone to the post office they sell me $1.96 worth of stamps, so that's not really much proof of anything. Oh well, I'll just hope my luck holds out!

[quote name='TripleQ']Everytime I've gone to the post office they sell me $1.96 worth of stamps, so that's not really much proof of anything. Oh well, I'll just hope my luck holds out![/QUOTE]

I havent been in a post office a while but I get games with a canada post label on it that has the amount of postage paid on it instead of stamps so I figured there would be more information on the reciept if you bought it that way but I have been wrong before. I guess your best bet would be to take some pictures of the game and packaging before you send it out and hope thats enough proof that you sent it.

Hmm that's actually not a bad idea killmak; photo evidence + the receipt should be ample proof that the game was sent. Oh, and I am typing this on my new Macbook! :D

The receipt for letter mail only shows you sent something, somewhere, with no idicaition of where.

Why worry about it. look through the high feedback users on goozex and see there are very few negs ever left. There appears to be far, far fewer issues then say, selling games on ebay with paypal.

Send enough stuff through the mail, to strangers, and eventually it will either really not end up delivered, or someone will rip you off. It will be rare enough that it is of no significance coamrped to the money saved using goozex compared to the loss trading to eb, or paying the high fees on ebay

The fact that goozex uses only points instead of money makes a world of difference. People are far less likely to try and cheat you because of this.

It looks like there's going to be a new Gamestop opening a couple of mins from where I live (North-west Waterloo if anyone cares). Is EB edge credit or the edge discount card valid at Gamestop? Or will I have another store card to add to my already buldging wallet?

hey TripleQ what intersection in Waterloo, do you know? Hopefully it's not too far from King and Uni! Never a bad thing to have another game shop in town....well, it is when you're supposed to be doing school work :S

[quote name='TripleQ']It looks like there's going to be a new Gamestop opening a couple of mins from where I live (North-west Waterloo if anyone cares). Is EB edge credit or the edge discount card valid at Gamestop? Or will I have another store card to add to my already buldging wallet?[/QUOTE]
EB edge credit is valid at both EB Games and Gamestop. I can confirm this since there is an EB and Gamestop in the same mall where I am.

Cheapest place to get Crackdown, anyone? Just had an urge to play it again, and then I realized I traded it in a few months back while the value was still good. I'm hoping it's cheap at EB seeing as I have some credit there.

I heard it is 10 bucks at Wal Mart. I got it for 10 used at Blockbuster though. It might be 15 at EB though.

Has anyone seen any evidence to suggest that Little Kings Story for Wii will be available next week in Canada? All the websites I have checked don't even have it listed.

hey guys, another question for those goozexers; which region do you have your trading set? I had mine set to Canada, then switched it to Canada/US hoping my wait times would be decreased, but my positioning on the games rocketed up from less than 10 to like 50-60, so which is better?

[quote name='game_fanatic']hey guys, another question for those goozexers; which region do you have your trading set? I had mine set to Canada, then switched it to Canada/US hoping my wait times would be decreased, but my positioning on the games rocketed up from less than 10 to like 50-60, so which is better?[/QUOTE]

There is no downside to setting it to Canada/US. In theory you were always behind those 50-60 US people anyway, it just didn't show it.. Any US traders willing to send to you would have sent it to those other 10 Canadians first. Plus there is generally much more volume on the US side too.

Hmm, well I have quite a few games on backlog, so I can afford to be patient, but I never really send out games, and I don't have many offers (just Dead Space, GH3 and MechAssault 2), and who knows when those offers will go through. I guess I'll just set it to Canada and try to keep an eye out for games that are requested often and offer a decent amount of points in return.

I trade with all regions. Sending to the US using Canada Post Light Packet is $4.12 vs. Letter Mail to Canada for $2.21 (and if you want Delivery Confirmation in Canada be prepared to spend big bucks - and if the game is worth big points I always want confirmation!) When you have all regions selected your games move faster, and you can get faster access to games.

In the past 90-days I have received Left 4 Dead, Saints Row 2, Halo Wars, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: World at War, Afro Samurai, Dead Space, and Star Wars the Force Unleased plus some older games I have never played before. The secret is to always have over 1000 points available plus trade credits.

Hi, I wanted to upgrade my PS3 hard drive and I was wondering if you guys know of any deals regarding 2.5" hard disks? Have you guys bought a hard disk you would recommend?
Thanks.

[quote name='saiftk']Hi, I wanted to upgrade my PS3 hard drive and I was wondering if you guys know of any deals regarding 2.5" hard disks? Have you guys bought a hard disk you would recommend?
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You're in Mississauga, so Canada Computers is a good place to start price shopping. Check this page:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProdList&cmd=pl&id=HD.517.47
I have a 250gb I bought there, I forget the manufacturer, but I'm sure it was a Western Digital 5400rpm drive. I'd stick with 5400rpm drives simply because a) that's what the PS3 originally uses, b) there's only slight performance benefit from using 7200rpm drives c) they're cheaper. I'd avoid avoid Seagate 7200rpm drives, I'm having noise issues with my laptop one.

Don't forget to buy one of these to use your original drive as a backup drive :)
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=017427&cid=516.551

And if you need help or have questions about upgrading, check this CAG thread first:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172479

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']You're in Mississauga, so Canada Computers is a good place to start price shopping. Check this page:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProdList&cmd=pl&id=HD.517.47
I have a 250gb I bought there, I forget the manufacturer, but I'm sure it was a Western Digital 5400rpm drive. I'd stick with 5400rpm drives simply because a) that's what the PS3 originally uses, b) there's only slight performance benefit from using 7200rpm drives c) they're cheaper. I'd avoid avoid Seagate 7200rpm drives, I'm having noise issues with my laptop one.

Don't forget to buy one of these to use your original drive as a backup drive :)
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=017427&cid=516.551

And if you need help or have questions about upgrading, check this CAG thread first:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172479[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.

[quote name='saiftk']Hi, I wanted to upgrade my PS3 hard drive and I was wondering if you guys know of any deals regarding 2.5" hard disks? Have you guys bought a hard disk you would recommend?
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I've been using a 320GB 5400rpm Western Digital Scorpio Blue for a while and I highly recommend it. It cost me 70 bucks a while ago, and as I can see, they're still around that price. Just remember to back up your current PS3 hard drive with a FAT32-formated drive (can be done via USB), it'll save you time and downloads (and some downloads you simply can't just re-download, like SingStar songs, the backup utility will restore them to the second hard drive)!

Good luck with that, having a big hard drive on your PS3 is totally worth it! :)

EDIT: I found it even cheaper than when I got it on sale at Dell!
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=1508170181G&vpn=WD3200BEVT&manufacture=WESTERN%20DIGITAL

Hope that helps!

since capcom dropped the price of streetfighter 4 in the states and is just 20 bucks did the same happen or will happen in canada if anyone knows ?

[quote name='turgore2008']since capcom dropped the price of streetfighter 4 in the states and is just 20 bucks did the same happen or will happen in canada if anyone knows ?[/QUOTE]

It's not a price drop, it's a sale at GameStop. Prices go back up on August 2.

Does anyone know why the Gears All Fronts DLC is way cheaper through amazon.ca? It seems suspicious because The Lost And Damned was the same price on amazon and with MS points.

EDIT: Doh, it's the guide...

If you've got points and are primarily looking to receive games it makes sense to have Can/USA set. The cost difference for them to mail to us is small (though a bit more of a pain for them to mail).

If you are looking to send out a lot of low point games you might want to try canada only with the postage difference. Its not that big a deal for the high point games.

I never use del confirmation, the price difference is so high it only takes sending a few for the postage savings to pay for getting scammed on one (which looks to be extremely rare on goozex)

i just sent out a dead space, about 15 trades are happenning at a time for that one so its moving through the list pretty quick.

Hey,
Does anyone know much about pre-ordering on Amazon.ca, do they usually lack the bonus' when it comes to shipping time? Also do they charge your credit card now or do they wait til it ships?

Strife18, I can partially answer your questions:

1) Pre-Ordering will only get you the bonus items if they specifically state it in the description. For whatever reason, they do not always offer the same bonus items as the US. For this reason, pay extra close attention to the listing.

2) If they are like the US store (and I believe they are), they only charge you once the item has shipped. You can pre-order items and cancel at any time without being charged till it releases. Just don't pre-order a ton and forget about them like I've done in the past lol. It gets expensive ;)

Ahh, alright.
I was looking at that Demon's soul preorder and they are offering all the same content. I was just trying to decide whether to pre-order from Amazon.ca or videogamesplus.ca

well Amazon would have free shipping, as opposed to the $2 or so from VGP; on the other hand, you may get it sooner from VGP. I've never pre-ordered an item from them, so I'm not too sure.

Hmm, I'll probably go for amazon. Though it goes against my CAG instincts to buy something new and not on the cheap. I haven't paid more than $30 for any of my PS3 games since i bought LBP after my system, even then I traded in 360 games, only paying $15.
So to cough up $80 for the deluxe edition or $70 for standard (still don't know whether the strategy guide and sleeve are worth $10) is kinda tough.

[quote name='Gamin_Guru']This has probably been answered already, but does BBV still take min. $10 trade ins for PS3 games ?[/QUOTE]

yes, but is believed to end tomorrow

I got a question about gamesharing.

Say if I am gamesharing with my brother, and I max out all my gameshares with my account.

My brother also has a bunch of gameshares with his friends.

If for whatever reason my brother wants to stop gamesharing with just me, can he log into my account on his PS3 and use the "deactivate PS3" thing? Like will that de-activate ALL his gameshares, or simply just mine?

I got a question about gamesharing.

Say if I am gamesharing with my brother, and I max out all my gameshares with my account.

My brother also has a bunch of gameshares with his friends.

If for whatever reason my brother wants to stop gamesharing with just me, can he log into my account on his PS3 and use the "deactivate PS3" thing? Like will that de-activate ALL his gameshares, or simply just mine?

I see everywhere on this forum people talking about the T3G1F (Trade 3 Get One Free) promotion on at EBgames, but the last time I went into the store I could find nothing and on their website it's the same thing. I know each game has to be over $8 in trade in value, but I can't find anything to confirm this, I'm about to sell some games on Kiiji but if I could trade these in and get a new game that would be better. Anyone have a confirmed link that EBgames has this for sure going on right now?

Trade 3 for a specific list of games is always on, trust us.. you don't need a link. Just ask the staff if there is nothing posted for the current list of games. Trade 3 for any game is on certain weekends.

There should be game cases on the wall at the entrance by their coming soon/new releases section that say "Trade 3 for this title", it's always on and has been for several years so there should be no reason to have an employee give you the runaround about it. EB Canada doesn't really post details of any of their trade-ins or sales on the website or in-store except for the odd time, but because the Trade 3 is a regular everyday promotion they have they don't really push it, just ask for it and they'll help you out.

dude I was in EB today and saw Yoshi Topsy Turvy and like 15 FFV Advance. I nearly messed my pants. I almost bought a Yoshi TT because I did want it back in the day but I'm 80% sure these were open box and if I'm buying open box I mght as well Goozex it.

Alright guys, more Goozex questions (I know, I'm sorry)

Today I put Gears of War Limited Edition up for request, and got matched maybe an hour later, even though my position in the queue was like 11 or something. When I just checked again, the match that was found has disappear and I was re-inserted back into queue, so two questions; how did I get the match so quickly when I'm not higher on the queue, and what happened to the match goozex made for me? I can't seem to find anything to indicate it was cancelled.

When there us a match the seller has 24 hours to accept or reject the trase. If they reject, it just disappears like it never happened (usually they just let them time out, but they can specifcally reject it). Someone changed ther imind about sending it, or saw that you were in Canada, or maybe didn't like your username. Who knows.

In most cases you aren't as far back in line as it appears, as people without trade tokens, without points, or without open trade slots still have their place even though they can't be matched. Though there are usually piles on hold that can be activated at any time, so you can go backwards in line too.

bread's done
Back