Captain Lou Albano (1933-2009) memorial wrestling topic

The show started well enough with Jericho being a braggart before the reveal of Show as Taker's next opponent, which if their NM '08 match is any indication, could be good. Although neither man is as good as they were then. Then the NASCAR guys zoomed out in their cars, acted nervous, and one of them called Kofi "Kofi Johnson", which was amusing. It all led to a Kofi vs. Jericho match that was good, but not quite a star-making match even though Kofi beat Jericho. Again.

The Priceless car reveal for Orton was great - I loved the kayfabe reason being them buying it with Ted Sr.'s money. Miz and Swagger petitioning for the WWE Title match was good in the sense that it got them kind of in the world title mix, even though it's more likely that it'll be a U.S. title-level feud and not one that goes above that level. The mixed tag with Santino was a match, the highlight of it was either the Santino trombone victory deal, or Hornswoggle getting a bright neon green legal envelope.

DiBiase and Rhodes vs. MVP and Henry was a nothing match, but did lead to an awesome star-making bit with Kofi in the back destroying Orton's new car. I liked that they actually used realistic items to destroy it like a key, paint, and a crowbar. It's far better than using something like an enormous crane or something like that. Plus, by doing it this way, Kofi got to still stand on top of the car and enjoy his handiwork. Kofi vs. Orton is a fresh match, although Kofi's got a ways to go before he's really over enough to justify a big push like this, but I'm glad to see them do SOMETHING to push new talent.

Miz vs. Bourne was fine while it lasted, but like every other match, was nothing special. I did like seeing Bourne win, but proclaiming the countout win as a huge upset doesn't say much for him. Still, he won, so I'm happy. Sheamus going to Raw as a "free agent" makes no logical sense since he was just on ECW on Tuesday, and man did the crowd ever not dig his act. The commentary team did him no favors either. Lawler stumbled over his words a lot and spent about half the match covering up for saying that the ECW locker room had nothing good to say about the guy. This went only 2 minutes but felt like a lifetime in part due to the crowd, but also due to the match. It was, as the crowd said, quite boring.

Then HHH faced Show in kind of a boring match until all the lumberjacks hit their finishers on Show, giving the younger guys a chance to shine in a main event spot and Show a chance to job before his title match. At least this fit the story of the show though. The Cena vs. HHH vs. HBK match at SurSer isn't the freshest match in the world since each guy has faced Cena numerous times, but it should be really good match.

Screens -

Quotes -
Cole - THERE’S THAT JUDAS, THAT BRUTUS! THE BIG SHOW!
Lawler - Brutus? Beefcake?
Cole - NO, THE GUY WHO BETRAYED CAESAR!
Show - I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT DESPITE WHAT HAPPENED AT BRAGGING RIGHTS, I AM STILL A PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAW ROSTER! And everything I did…
Jericho - You don’t have to explain yourself to me or these germ incubators! LET’S HEAR IT FOR SD WINNING BRAGGING RIGHTS! You did what you did because you’re a man of loyalty - towards me.
Show - Chris, there’s something I need to tell you.
Jericho - I NEED TO TELL YOU SOMETHING - Thank you for stopping the tyranny of DX! THERE’S NO HAWKING OF CHEAP MERCHANDISE OR PRANKS BECAUSE THEY’RE EMBARRASSED! YOU PUNCHED HHH RIGHT IN HIS FACE! AS A RESULT, YOU HELPED SD WIN BRAGGING RIGHTS!
Show - Thanks Chris, but you should let me talk…SmackDown…
Jericho - Would have won anyway because I was the mastermind. The Genius that put together everything. I’m on both shows…
Show - You need to understand something - I DID IT FOR ME! There’s one thing that’s more important than my show or tag team - my career. I can be on both shows, so I sought out Teddy and I struck a deal - because SD won Bragging Rights, you are looking at the Undertaker’s next opponent for the WHC!
Jericho - YOU DIDN’T APPROVE THIS WITH ME!
Show - DO I NEED TO APPROVE MY BREAKFAST WITH YOU!?
Jericho - LOW CAL!
Busch - Joey and I are proud to be here and help host…Raw!
Busch - We’re in Buffalo - a city that hasn’t won a championship since Hulkamania!
Busch - Jericho, I’m gonna put you in the ring with Kofi Johnson! Kingston!
(after Orton throws Kofi off the stage)Crowd - RKO! RKO! RKO!
(after revealing a NASCAR with Randy all over it)Randy - You guys bought this for me?
Ted - Hey, who’s the son of the Million Dollar Man?
Cole - I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THE DEBUT OF SHEAMUS HERE TONIGHT - HE’S A HUGE FREE AGENT ACQUISITION!
Cole - Quizno’s MMM MMM MMM TOASTY!
Cena - I WAS ALMOST BLOWN UP! Seriously. I dodged an explosion! The people at home are gonna think that Raw’s gone into reruns - how long have Randy and I been going? TWELVE YEARS!?
(after Kofi defaces Orton’s NASCAR)Lawler - A BUCKET OF PAINT! OH MY GOD!
Cole - Miz has a huge chip on his shoulder and I’m trying to figure out why.
Lawler - It’s probably the hair.
Sheamus - Me name is Sheamus. It’s me first night on Raw, I’m here to make an impression!
Cole - SmackDown has Bragging Rights, for get this - THE WHOLE YEAR!
Lawler - Oh no!
Cole - PEDIGREE! PEDIGREE! PEDIGREEEE!

Kofi gets a 20 minute match against Jericho and wins, then cuts a good promo and actually gets me interested in the feud with Orton. Good way to push Kofi and take Orton out of the title picture.

So, Shawn Michaels is wrestling at Survivor Series in the RAW title match for like the 4th year now. I called that all night, the addition of Trips makes it at least a possible interest if they decide to split DX and move towards a HHH/HBK feud.

Main event was a blast, fun seeing all those guys hit their big moves, dear lord Evan Bourne hits the shooting star press better than anyone

Did they change Kofi's last name? Someone here referred to him as Johnston.

One win does not make a push. Just ask Shelton Benjamin. Regardless, if this does end up being a legit push for Kofi then good for him and especially good for WWE. They take too long to build younger guys.

[quote name='neocisco']Did they change Kofi's last name? Someone here referred to him as Johnston.[/QUOTE]

ha. no. one of the nascar guys called him kofi johnston then quickly corrected himself and said kofi kingston.

i really cannot wait to tune in next week to see where they take kofi/orton.. it's been a while since i've actually wanted to tune in versus just tuning in because nothing else is on.

I didn't see the Batista/Rey stuff as it happened last night, but the package they ran on Raw made it look like a million bucks. I know you guys were shitting on it when it happened, so maybe it was just good editing.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Shelton got a push - it just ended in like 3 weeks.[/QUOTE]

My point exactly. I guess we'll see what happens.

[quote name='Scorch']ha. no. one of the nascar guys called him kofi johnston then quickly corrected himself and said kofi kingston.[/QUOTE]

With the accent being dropped and being from Ghana now (that was changed, right?) a last name change wouldn't have surprised me. Except where Vince is involved I would have expected something more like Hightower.

"A new last name for Kofi? Let's nig it up some."

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I didn't see the Batista/Rey stuff as it happened last night, but the package they ran on Raw made it look like a million bucks. I know you guys were shitting on it when it happened, so maybe it was just good editing.[/QUOTE]

If there's one thing WWE can do just as well as anybody, it's video editing. Their production team is top notch.

[quote name='Scorch']Ozzy and Sharon next week!

Triple H seems to be big on Sheamus. I've never seen him wrestle. Poor Jamie Noble.

Sheamus has a really, really terrible fake accent.[/QUOTE]

That accent isn't fake my good man cause he is actually from over in Ireland around the same area that Drew McIntyre is from. They use to wrestle in some of the same promotions over there.

WWE has some outrageously corny entrance themes.

John Morrison's comes to mind.

No vocals. Please.

WCW had some themes that were so bad they were *awesome*. You hear them and within fifteen second think "who in their right mind would authorize this shit?"

WWE's are just paint by numbers. No passion, no creativity. You could give Seamus' theme to anyone on the roster. OTOH, take the boring racism of Yoshi Tatsu's theme by comparison - wouldn't make sense if used for most wrestlers, but that doesn't mean it's good by any stretch. And it's not funny like "STEINERIZED!"

I declare it's time for the worst wrestling theme contest. Put up your best horrible wrestling theme.

Steve Regal's "Real Man's Man" and WCW "American Males" are not permitted. Too easy.

What a stable!

I feel bad for Justin Credible. Guilt by association.

I think that happened during one of my wrestling lulls. I've never heard that theme before.

I'm on my phone, so I'm too lazy to find and imbed a video... one of the worst recent themes? WWE Bischoff. Talk about bad lyrics. Yeesh.

[quote name='mykevermin']His entrance theme sounds fake.[/QUOTE]

Oddly enough I believe it's the same guy who did the Priceless theme singing in a fake accent :D

There are some fuckin' GEMS on the WCW Slam Jam CD.

The cover art alone is a trillion kinds of amazing.

986547.jpg

All of Undertaker's American Badass/Deadman Inc ones were horrible. Worst one being the last WWE made one.

Test's also comes to mind.

[quote name='mykevermin']All this talk of bad wrestling themes is amazing: WWE will be using a new theme for Raw starting next week. It's a song by Nickelback.

:rofl:[/QUOTE]

Ah, rats. I was hoping for Creed.

Wonder if Russo will get the boot. I recently read on a wrestling news site that there were talks with Hogan over the summer to come to TNA. They even mentioned firing Russo if that was what it would take to get Hogan on board.

How can TNA NOT sign Hogan. I know alot of us are afraid of what that will mean, but they are still trying to make a name for them selves. Hogan has name value. I'm also sure this will be mentioned on Larry King tonight when Hogan is on so more free press for TNA. We also don't know what this means for Russo either.

Hogan's wrestling debut in TNA should happen on the same week that David Arquette hosts Raw.

I'll blow my goddamned brains out. Or, alternately, watching only the Oxygen network. I think I'd prefer the former.

bread's done
Back