Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (PSP) Thread

[quote name='MarkMan']Lucky for you they'll have the original Rondo of Blood and an all new version of CV: SOTN![/QUOTE]
But I read somewhere you have to beat it in 3D first before unlocking the 2D...?

Regardless, if I end up buying a PSP this fall, I'm getting this ASAP.

I bought a GBA to play COTM , HOD, and AOS
I bought a DS to play DOS, POR
I bought a PSP for Castlevania Chronicles

what a tool for KONAMI I am

right or wrong METROID and CASTLEVANIA are the only games I don't mind paying full price on release day for.
I just wish I hadn't bought that N64 just to play SUPERMAN :(

hell i love the does games well the 64 games suck ass cant wait for it to come out:lol: by the way when does it come out? around oct right?

[quote name='MarkMan']Someone HAS to be excited about this... It's coming![/QUOTE]

It's not out till November for us scrubs though, right? Sigh... and here I thought Konami originally said it was out 9/15/07 when they first announced it.

Markman, were there any new areas added to SOTN?

This got pushed back to November? Lame. I was looking forward to making it my October Castlevania this year. I guess I'll replay Dawn instead.

This is one of the few games I'm buying on release day.

We need a new Castlevania where we can play as a vampire. Let's pull a Strider 2 and put it on the PS3 / 360 with awesome graphics.

Yeah the box art looks great. Considering the last few Castlevania games are anime inspired (which just shouldn't happen but I digress).

Can't wait to pre-order this. Because even if the remake sucks, I still have two full games to unlock and enjoy.

that's awesome. i'm selling my PSOne GH copy of SotN to pay for this. Hopefully they'll come out about even. I really like the cover art. Cant' wait for the game.

The game is good, it has shaped up and evolved VERY nicely since it first showed up way back then... I'm sure CV casual fans and hardcore freaks will be satisfied...

[quote name='FurryCurry']Yeah the box art looks great. Considering the last few Castlevania games are anime inspired (which just shouldn't happen but I digress).

Can't wait to pre-order this. Because even if the remake sucks, I still have two full games to unlock and enjoy.[/QUOTE]

Which is odd considering the original Dracula X was the first Castlevania game to use anime art within the game.

MjC

Guess they realized the gothic artstyle was much, much better. I don't necessarily mind anime art in Castlevania, but the series has been getting way too Saturday-morning-ish, so it's nice to see a return to form here.

And this is still my candidate for GOTY. SOTN + Rondo of Blood + Remake + Some Additions to SOTN = Better than anything. EVER. Well... unless they included Super Metroid on here, but that's just stupidly unrealistic.

[quote name='Chacrana']Guess they realized the gothic artstyle was much, much better. I don't necessarily mind anime art in Castlevania, but the series has been getting way too Saturday-morning-ish, so it's nice to see a return to form here.

And this is still my candidate for GOTY. SOTN + Rondo of Blood + Remake + Some Additions to SOTN = Better than anything. EVER. Well... unless they included Super Metroid on here, but that's just stupidly unrealistic.[/QUOTE]

A better SOTN? Did they put the Saturn version on here with Maria as a playable character?

I believe it's got the saturn extras, but without the saturn shittyness. The saturn version actually had worse effects and looked sketchier than the PSOne version, a common misconeption. I heard on 1up that they're also expanding on maria's gameplay to give her new weapons, abilities, story, etc.

[quote name='jer7583']I believe it's got the saturn extras, but without the saturn shittyness. The saturn version actually had worse effects and looked sketchier than the PSOne version, a common misconeption. I heard on 1up that they're also expanding on maria's gameplay to give her new weapons, abilities, story, etc.[/quote]
Not to mention the bonus "levels" sucking shit in the Saturn version. It's a complete hack-job and I'm glad IGA at least recognizes this. I'm not a big fan of the guy, but I pity him, as he must deal with dorks asking for the Saturn SOTN extras and a Wii-mote swinging Castlevania on a daily basis.

I almost wish they would port over the Saturn SOTN just so everyone could see what a big bag of soggy douche it really is.

[quote name='jer7583']I believe it's got the saturn extras, but without the saturn shittyness. The saturn version actually had worse effects and looked sketchier than the PSOne version, a common misconeption. I heard on 1up that they're also expanding on maria's gameplay to give her new weapons, abilities, story, etc.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the effects look like shit on the Saturn version. I just want the extra playable character :)

I already have it for the Saturn, but I want the PS1 version with a remixed extras mode that has the Saturn stuff on just for the sake of completeness. I would sell my version in a heartbeat if that happened.

Damn, this is $30 now? Holy god, that's a steal. and it sounds like it'll be just in time for TRU's B2, G1 free sale!

[quote name='Chacrana']Oops, my mistake. It comes out 10/23. Gamestop's also got cover art up, which I approve of.[/quote]

My birfday! It's a sign... I must have it...

I really can't wait for this. I haven't played SotN before, so I'm reeeeeeeeeeeally hyped here. I keep trying to resist buying it on PSN, since I know this is coming soon.

[quote name='Chacrana']Guess they realized the gothic artstyle was much, much better.[/QUOTE]
LOL

In an interview printed in the Doublejump guide for one of the recent games, IGA basically said that the GBA games didn't sell well enough, because the audience of the GBA and DS is all little kids. So they changed to the anime style to appeal to them and sell more copies. I guess Konami is considering the PSP more "adult" so they don't need the anime style.

[quote name='pete5883']LOL

In an interview printed in the Doublejump guide for one of the recent games, IGA basically said that the GBA games didn't sell well enough, because the audience of the GBA and DS is all little kids. So they changed to the anime style to appeal to them and sell more copies. I guess Konami is considering the PSP more "adult" so they don't need the anime style.[/quote]
It's ridiculous how out-of-touch with reality companies are these days. I remember in the old days, there wasn't some big genre-defining line between "kid" games and "adult" games. Castlevania was for fucking anyone.

[quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']It's ridiculous how out-of-touch with reality companies are these days. I remember in the old days, there wasn't some big genre-defining line between "kid" games and "adult" games. Castlevania was for fucking anyone.[/QUOTE]

I don't know where you were growing up, but I never knew any kids who owned or were interested in Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden or Final Fantasy.

A lot of kids had TMNT, Mega Man (part 3 and on) and Zelda.

[quote name='opportunity777']I don't know where you were growing up, but I never knew any kids who owned or were interested in Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden or Final Fantasy.

A lot of kids had TMNT, Mega Man (part 3 and on) and Zelda.[/QUOTE]

Mortal Kombat was the coolest game ever back then... not anything decent (well, okay, I grew up in the early 90's rather than the late 80's... stll applies though.) Hell, I was the only person I knew who liked Mega Man, which was really depressing.

[quote name='Chacrana']Mortal Kombat was the coolest game ever back then... not anything decent (well, okay, I grew up in the early 90's rather than the late 80's... stll applies though.) Hell, I was the only person I knew who liked Mega Man, which was really depressing.[/QUOTE]

I forgot about MK. That was huge. I remember everyone trying to get the Genesis version because of the blood code. A lot less people played and owned so many videogames back then. I was one of the only people that knew the fatalities because I actually played it in the arcade. SFII was still my game though :)

Anyways, about this "new" Castlevania game ... I read the interview, and I'm happy the Saturn extras are in the SOTN game. I think I will be selling my Saturn version in the next couple of days. My new PSP w/TV out will make the game that much better when I'm at home :)

From what I've read the Saturn extras are not in the game because the Saturn extras are bad and weren't made by the original team.

[quote name='opportunity777']I don't know where you were growing up, but I never knew any kids who owned or were interested in Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden or Final Fantasy.
[/quote]

Maybe you just needed more friends...:cry:

[quote name='pete5883']From what I've read the Saturn extras are not in the game because the Saturn extras are bad and weren't made by the original team.[/quote]

In a rcent interview it was stated that an updated Maria is playable in SotN. Didn't mention anything about those extra Saturn areas but I doubt they made the cut. I bet he included Maria to show her evolution from Rondo to SotN.

[quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']Maybe you just needed more friends...:cry:[/QUOTE]

Friends are overrated! I had my videogames! :)

On another note, I just preordered this. I might write a review if nobody else does :p

I'm writing a review... :)

I wrote a preview on it too if anyone cares... I actually did a whole week of DXC coverage awhile back...

[quote name='MarkMan']I'm writing a review... :)

I wrote a preview on it too if anyone cares... I actually did a whole week of DXC coverage awhile back...[/quote]

When will this review be finished or are you waiting on the game still?

Unfortunately, I'll now be buying this at gamestop, because it comes with a figurine for pre-ordering now. It's a figurine of the 2D simon belmont, which has nothing to do with the games included on this disc, but whatever, it looks sweet.

[quote name='Vinny']Damn, this is $30 now? Holy god, that's a steal. and it sounds like it'll be just in time for TRU's B2, G1 free sale![/quote]

Where did you see this Toys R Us sale?

I haven't seen the figurine online, but thanks for the headsup.

[quote name='TwistedBishop']Where did you see this Toys R Us sale?[/QUOTE]

It happens ever year in the mid-to-late fall.

there's a thread on the deals forum that probably has pictures.

[quote name='FurryCurry']When will this review be finished or are you waiting on the game still?[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to publish the review until the week the game comes out...

But I've had the game for about 3 months now... check out my footage of it if you're interested... www.high-scoreonline.com click on the Castlevania week button on the side...

egads, i just saw this now, i may have to bite the bullet and buy a psp again. I dont really play videogames anymore, but rondo of blood was a great game, tho it was too easy compared to the other CV games. castlevania 1 and 3, and akumajo 68000 were tough as nails, but then cv2, super cv, rondo of blood, and all of the newer games were way too easy imo.

still a good game, i dont think it will be a day 1 purchase for me, simply because i do not own a psp, i would probably pick up a psp if they have another price drop, but not yet.

edit, oh and i dont care about the figurine, the extra action figures just end up taking up too much space. The bart, marge, homer, puffy shirt, and so on look nice, but i would just put it in a box and never look at it. I understand how some folks like to collect action figures, i mean GI Joe figures are collectors items now, but it only makes sense if you have some sort of display case to display them.

Got my Game Informer and this title received a 7 and a 7.25.

Main gripes seem to be high difficulty, slow character movement, and repetition.

[quote name='ksuwild25']Got my Game Informer and this title received a 7 and a 7.25.

Main gripes seem to be high difficulty, slow character movement, and repetition.[/QUOTE]

Did it mention anything about including the SNES version of RoB?

I would have to read the review to get the context. Otherwise, those are kind of stupid gripes considering the game is supposed to be hard, the character wasn't particularly fast in the original and even World of Warcraft is repetitive.

[quote name='opportunity777']
I would have to read the review to get the context. Otherwise, those are kind of stupid gripes considering the game is supposed to be hard, the character wasn't particularly fast in the original and even World of Warcraft is repetitive.[/QUOTE]

I immediately thought of Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins when I heard about the difficulty complaint.

Who was reviewing it for GI?

If it's illegal to post the review let me know and I'll take this down, but here is the short 2nd opinion review (which I always kind of find to be a summary of the bigger review):

[quote name='Miller']
Given that this is essentially a remake of an early Castlevania, it comes as little suprise that Dracula X doesn't have the wow factor of more recent entries. The straight beginning-to-end level design at work here is never very interesting, and Richter struts like a rooster. The dark and gothic stylings are in full effect, from the backgrounds to the impressive boss fights. Faithfulness to the source material aside, I would have loved to see the first PSP Castlevania shine with the same depth and breadth of its DS cousins. Sadly, such is not the case.

[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back