Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (PSP) Thread

[quote name='ksuwild25']Main gripes seem to be high difficulty, slow character movement, and repetition.[/QUOTE]

Good; that makes it sound like a faithful translation of the original. I'm not going to get into a hissyfit because the review doesn't show a number I like - but I find those kinds of complaints to be given by people who either (1) didn't play games when 2D platformers were like this, or (2) want to take the "it hasn't aged well" approach and just want to be snarky.

I want it to be difficult, I want Richter to move as clumsily as he did in the Duo version, and the "nonlinear" aspect of RoB is draconian by today's standards. Fine by me - if it didn't have these elements, it would be a different game.

Also the original review by Adam did say:

"If you've somehow been able to retain your love of high-difficulty side-scrolling action, you'll love this (game)."

One question I had is I've only played the XBLA SOTN so I'm not too sure what the following meant:

"You can unlock the original version as well as the full version of SotN (we asked Konami, and were told that there is no secret code to unlock that superior title, unfortunately)"

Is the original or full version differ from the XBLA title (besides the HD & achievements)? Wasn't too sure by what he meant when he said superior.

[quote name='ksuwild25']Also the original review by Adam did say:

"If you've somehow been able to retain your love of high-difficulty side-scrolling action, you'll love this (game)."

One question I had is I've only played the XBLA SOTN so I'm not too sure what the following meant:

"You can unlock the original version as well as the full version of SotN (we asked Konami, and were told that there is no secret code to unlock that superior title, unfortunately)"

Is the original or full version differ from the XBLA title (besides the HD & achievements)? Wasn't too sure by what he meant when he said superior.[/QUOTE]

Sounds pretty murky to me, but maybe he was talking about the differences between the US and JP versions. All of the SOTN's are identical (XBLA, PSN, PS1 with very small differences), but not the Japanese versions. The Japanese PS1 version has extra familiars and some other minor changes. The Japanese Saturn version (there was no US Saturn version) has two extra poorly designed areas and Maria as an extra playable character. It may be that both SOTN US PS1 and JP PS1 (with Maria added) are available in the collection. That is kind of stupid. I would rather have the crappy Saturn SOTN (even if it sucks) and the JP PS1 SOTN + Maria available. It would make a lot more sense because neither one had a US release.

[quote name='Vinny']Damn, this is $30 now? Holy god, that's a steal. and it sounds like it'll be just in time for TRU's B2, G1 free sale![/quote]
Too bad that sale is going on this week and CV isn't to be released until October; kinda sucks because CV is the only title I'm looking forward to on the PSP this year :cry: .

I read the same Game Informer review ksuwild25 read. It didn't seem like the guy played the game very much. The review was severely half-assed. Basically, the reviewer(s) just said it was too hard for him. He didn't mention all the content in the game. Also, the game is not coming out for a whole month. I didn't understand why he would hurt preorders for the game by giving it a so-so review for a genre he doesn't like one month before it came out. About 80% of the review was dedicated to how older games suck because they were too hard. The difficulty of the game is far overblown. I think he just sucks.

I want to see how they reviewed Mega Man Powered Up. I think MMPU was way too hard to get 100% (even though there are people on gamefaqs that have done it). I ended up giving up on MMPU because I wasn't willing to dedicate my life to conquer a single game. Oil man vs. Fire Man ='s hell. Actually, I think a lot of Capcom's remakes were way too hard. I still beat the shit out of MMX Maverick Hunter. I doubt DXC is worse because it's the exact same game as RoB, which is a far easier game than many of the earlier Castlevania titles.

[quote name='opportunity777']Sounds pretty murky to me, but maybe he was talking about the differences between the US and JP versions. All of the SOTN's are identical (XBLA, PSN, PS1 with very small differences), but not the Japanese versions. The Japanese PS1 version has extra familiars and some other minor changes. The Japanese Saturn version (there was no US Saturn version) has two extra poorly designed areas and Maria as an extra playable character. It may be that both SOTN US PS1 and JP PS1 (with Maria added) are available in the collection. That is kind of stupid. I would rather have the crappy Saturn SOTN (even if it sucks) and the JP PS1 SOTN + Maria available. It would make a lot more sense because neither one had a US release.[/QUOTE]

From my understanding, they completely changed how Maria plays in SOTN. Which is a good thing.

Just got my PSM and they gave it a 9.5. Review didn't sound much different than GI so I'm assuming GI just doesn't like difficult side scrollers.

Can't wait for late Oct.

I too saw the GI review and they're really reaching for some of their points. I mean, Rondo of Blood is harder than say, Symphony of the Night but Castlevania I and III are way, way harder.

I got the PC Engine version back in 2005 and once I really sat down with it, it only took a couple days to finish. I never had to replay any level more than 3 or 4 times with the exception of the final battle (which probably took 12 tries). Considering it's pedigree, I think Castlevania Dracula X is probably the most accessible of the 2d, action-style CVs.

Supposedly you get a little 8-bit Belmont figure when you preorder at GS. I did it instore at my local GS but they hadn't heard about the figure yet. If they wind up not getting it I'll hope for a deal at Best Buy or online.

I heard something about the figure as well, but then I stumbled upon a post made at Kotaku with a picture of the same figure saying it's a Comic-Con exclusive.

So, who knows?

Anyone see the ad for this game in the November EGM (Saints Row 2 cover)? Apparently, this is the one where the "Beaumont" family gets its revenge on Dracula. Kind of surprising that nobody at Konami noticed the error.

[quote name='yukine']I heard something about the figure as well, but then I stumbled upon a post made at Kotaku with a picture of the same figure saying it's a Comic-Con exclusive.

So, who knows?[/quote]

They are one and the same. Leftovers from SDCC.

argh!

It's either buying a PSP for this game or getting a Wii for RE: Umbrella Chronicals

ARGH!! :p I HATE YOU OCTOBER!!!

oooops my bad i thought it was $40 like alot of new psp games. i didnt even check the reciept, i'll check it later tho. but oh well then that means i get it for even cheaper.

[quote name='coolz481']Anyone see the ad for this game in the November EGM (Saints Row 2 cover)? Apparently, this is the one where the "Beaumont" family gets its revenge on Dracula. Kind of surprising that nobody at Konami noticed the error.[/quote]
It's possible Konami has an outside company do its marketing.

I think the only new game on that pack looks lame. 2d is rarely done correctly with 3d elements. The other games should be playable from the start because they are what this pack is all about.

[quote name='Kaijufan']It's possible Konami has an outside company do its marketing.[/QUOTE]

I don't think this outside company is located in the US, either, because the whole ad is just... ridiculous. It doesn't make much sense and it's comically bad.

[quote name='Setzer']One more day!!! :D[/QUOTE]

Well... sort of. I don't think any stores will actually have them available on Tuesday, I'm betting on getting it Wednesday afternoon.

[quote name='Halo05']Well... sort of. I don't think any stores will actually have them available on Tuesday, I'm betting on getting it Wednesday afternoon.[/quote]

Release date is tomorrow, that's all that matters. ;)

Nah wednesday. I don't even bugger with going on tuesday for new releases anymore. Just a waste of time.

ya i preordered my game at gamecrazy, but i have school on tues so i will just end up picking my copy of it up on wed.... i also cannot wait and am very excited :)

Also.. Saw this random guy at E 4 all walking around with a whip... I asked to take a pic with him and he let me hold his whip... Cool dude...

1655830541_5687429f2c.jpg

Game is almost here guys! Hope everyone enjoys it!

And if anyone is interested, or hasn't seen it yet... I still have old coverage up of DXC and Castlevania week, which can be seen here. (just scroll down a bit)

Those that preordered at GameCrazy -

A memo came down saying that our shipment from Japan got fucked up (really, are you suprised at this point?) and no stores will receive the preorder bonuses in time for the launch. Most stores are set to receive the preorder bonus by the end of the week, so call on Friday and see if they got the bonus in. The game is scheduled to arrive on time (Wednesday afternoon).

[quote name='MarkMan']Also.. Saw this random guy at E 4 all walking around with a whip... I asked to take a pic with him and he let me hold his whip... Cool dude...

1655830541_5687429f2c.jpg

Game is almost here guys! Hope everyone enjoys it!

And if anyone is interested, or hasn't seen it yet... I still have old coverage up of DXC and Castlevania week, which can be seen here. (just scroll down a bit)[/QUOTE]

That's the dude who created Castlevania...right?

I just noticed that GS/EB switched the preorder bonus from Simon Belmont to the Simon's Quest color scheme. Interesting, though I'm probably the last to notice.

I'm debating preordering this from GS now just to get the figure for the heck of it. Not sure though. I'd probably have to get it online rather than deal with crap from the retail stores.

EDIT: just did it. Won't really have any time to play this week anyway so it can slow-crawl from GS.

Tuesdays before release are frustrating.

What was this I heard about a hidden 4th game on this disc?

[quote name='jer7583']Tuesdays before release are frustrating.

What was this I heard about a hidden 4th game on this disc?[/QUOTE]

There might be a SNES version of Dracula X. To my knowledge, this is compeltely unconfirmed by any sources.

I think they should have packaged Rondo of Blood original, SNES and remake on one UMD. A second UMD should have had Castlevania: SOTN JP (which we are getting) and the shitty Saturn version (it really sucks) for the sake of completeness.

I pulled this from GameFAQs from a post by SeraphimValmar:

"Q: I hear tell there's a bonus game. What is it?

A: A few months back, we were told by PoR (a bad ass) that there was an extra game included in the package, a bonus. We found out that this game was a very short little level with cell shaded graphics that was available on the original Chi no Rondo if you played it on the Turbo Duo with the wrong card. PoR then confirmed that this was the fourth game she was talking about. Whether or not Dracula X SNES makes it into this collection is still unknown, but really, as we've heard no mention from ANYONE about it, it's extremely unlikely the game's included."

This news is old though, and I haven't seen anything 100% confirm or deny any of the speculation. Probably, someone has better information than me on here.

[quote name='mykevermin']:lol:

That's not really a game, it's a demo screen.

And cel shading? Really? In 1991? Nah.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it sounds pretty lame. A fourth game is speculation until the game actually comes out.

[quote name='dserafin1986']That's the dude who created Castlevania...right?[/QUOTE]

That's the current series producer, Koji Igarashi.

He did a lot of programming for the original Symphony of the Night and afterwards became the 'face' of the Castlevania franchise and started spearheading Konami's CV franchise starting with CV Chronicles...

[quote name='MarkMan']I can confirm the SNES game is not there. I've had this game just as long as PoR has... so yea...[/QUOTE]

It's a little lame the D:CvX team didn't include the SNES game.

How about that other bonus? I never even heard of that before, and I have the DUO version. I never owned a DUO though, so I played my copy on an emulator.

From what I read (probably false information), it shouldn't count as a 4th game per say, more like an easter egg.

[quote name='MarkMan']That's the current series producer, Koji Igarashi.

He did a lot of programming for the original Symphony of the Night and afterwards became the 'face' of the Castlevania franchise and started spearheading Konami's CV franchise starting with CV Chronicles...[/QUOTE]

And he's got this bizarre desire of trying to make CV successful in 3D, almost to having a hard-on for it. Why is Konami so insistent about it? Will the graphic whore sales be so much more then the diehard 2D fans?
Why would anyone WANT the DX SNES version? It's the botched one.

[quote name='Sarang01']And he's got this bizarre desire of trying to make CV successful in 3D, almost to having a hard-on for it. Why is Konami so insistent about it? Will the graphic whore sales be so much more then the diehard 2D fans?
Why would anyone WANT the DX SNES version? It's the botched one.[/QUOTE]

I think he wants to move the series to 3D because the general public is infatuated with 3D videogames. After reading the interview, I believe he is very competitive and feels the Castlevania games are viewed as second rate. In his eyes, the series has not translated well to 3D. IMO, the series needs to make a well-made transition to 3D for it to stay a staple in Konami's lineup. It's important for the future of the franchise. Sales are the ultimate driving force, and 3D games sell better. If game sales are high, then he can acquire a bigger budget for the series. I think if he wants to move the series into 3D, then he needs to consider stealing and augmenting the gameplay found in the successful franchises.

I would love for him to experiment with a town-traveling somewhat non-linear Castlevania game. Something like the 3D Zelda games. I wonder if it would work.

You are not missing much by not getting the SNES game. It is not that great and very forgettable. It is just not as good as the older CV games.

As for 3D castlevania, Cruse of Darkness is really what 2D Castlevnia would be like in 3D. But game play wise it needs a lot of adjustment to be a good 3D game.

bread's done
Back