Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

DesertEagleXIX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Is this still due for 12/6? I had heard it was delayed to add wi-fi features... Gamestop still lists the date for next week:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=180197

I always love a good 2D Castlevania game; My productivity always drops when one is released. I remember calling my local Software Etc. to see if Symphony of the Night was released. It was and I went racing down there to get the last copy. I must have put 50+ hours into that game.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Is this still due for 12/6? I had heard it was delayed to add wi-fi features... Gamestop still lists the date for next week:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=180197

I always love a good 2D Castlevania game; My productivity always drops when one is released.[/quote]

Nope coming out 12/5 in the US. I thought the delay was for Europe?

The preorder bonus came in today! So those of you who have it preordered may want to go check if your store got their's. It's such a sexy package...

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']The preorder bonus came in today! So those of you who have it preordered may want to go check if your store got their's. It's such a sexy package...[/QUOTE]ack!! I'm out the door!

edit: whatta bastard!

I called up gamestop where I preordered and dude was like

"you cant pick it up until to pick up your game"

eff dat, they better not givem away to other ppl.

[quote name='JEKKI']
eff dat, they better not givem away to other ppl.[/QUOTE]

This is what I'm worried of, one employee who dosen't know the rules gives them all away.

Why the fuck would you ship it out early anyways.

I keep forgetting I work for EB now (since I'm hired but haven't started) but still, it's a shitty situation. I do not necessarily agree with the companies actions, I got a feeling alot of people will be disappointed come Wednesday when their bonuses were given away this weekend.

[quote name='Roufuss']This is what I'm worried of, one employee who dosen't know the rules gives them all away.

Why the fuck would you ship it out early anyways.

I keep forgetting I work for EB now (since I'm hired but haven't started) but still, it's a shitty situation. I do not necessarily agree with the companies actions, I got a feeling alot of people will be disappointed come Wednesday when their bonuses were given away this weekend.[/QUOTE]

Hell, I work for one too, and I'm worried about getting my own preorder bonuses for games I reserve--especially crazy-awesome stuff like this. It's usually the newbies that do it. :(

[quote name='Zingela']Hell, I work for one too, and I'm worried about getting my own preorder bonuses for games I reserve--especially crazy-awesome stuff like this. It's usually the newbies that do it. :([/QUOTE]

Yea, I will call tommorrow and talk to my manager and see what is going on here.

There are already reports of people getting multiple copies of the bonuses... I have no clue why they would ship these early. It's just going to lead to pissed off people come Wednesday. "Sorry sir, we gave away your preorder bonus this weekend" "WTF? Nobody called and told me it was in!?!?"

I was going to call up my Gamestop on Sunday but I guess I call them today and check on whats happening with the bonus.

Are the extras going to be worth something in eBay.com? If yes, then I'll reserve another one. Those are sweet extras though and I can't wait for the game! Too bad I'll be so busy with Zelda: TP, Yoshi's Island DS, and studying for finals week when it comes out.

[quote name='Zingela']Hell, I work for one too, and I'm worried about getting my own preorder bonuses for games I reserve--especially crazy-awesome stuff like this. It's usually the newbies that do it. :([/QUOTE]
At my store we don't even tell the new guys about the swag drawer. They're only there for Christmas help anyway.

It looks like my local Gamestop isn't getting it in today. I'll call them again tomorrow to see if they got them in.

I got one!!

that's the advantage of having 3 gamestops and 1 ebgames

all within a freakin 1 mile radius of each other!!!

Yeah, I picked it up this afternoon. Even though I work at GS, and have to be in for work in a couple hours. I couldn't wait.

It's more of the same, but that's far from a bad thing. The partner system works well, and both characters are fun to use. The music is amazing, and the graphics are very well done. I haven't played much, I'm only in the first painting, but it's shaping up to be great.

I picked up my game and preorder bonus this morning from my local EB. I have to say I'm really impressed with the bonus content. The stylus is neato, artbook sweet, and the soundtrack is nice. I wish the soundtrack had Vampire Killer from Rondo of Blood and the box seems a little cheap, but other than that, I love it. I've only played the game for ten minutes, but it seems like Castlevania to me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I regret not reserving it now. That bonus looks sweet.

I called all th EB's and they have it but don't have any bonus' left. They all suggested I call back on Friday when the 48 hour clause kicks in and they would start giving them out with PoR and another pre-order.

:(

my EB tried to cheat me of my bonus. they said "they're all gone" and insisted they only got like 1 until i made him call his manager. he went into the back room to call (probably said "hey, i don't think i can hold all 4 of these for us employees, this guy is making a big fuss") and came out with my bonus. f00kar.

I got my game today and my bonus sunday. Both are very awesome. So anyone else get the game in the case upside down? I can't wait to play more of this game. It is so much fun. Is there online co-op? I heard it was taken out. Anyway, lots of fun and the game looks fantastic.

Is there online co-op? I heard it was taken out.
There's online co-op. It's only Boss Rush mode though.
my EB tried to cheat me of my bonus. they said "they're all gone" and insisted they only got like 1 until i made him call his manager. he went into the back room to call (probably said "hey, i don't think i can hold all 4 of these for us employees, this guy is making a big fuss") and came out with my bonus. f00kar.
Or he could have honestly just thought they had 1. None of the employees except the manager and I even knew about the bonus, since they don't play Castlevania games. So it's quite possible he thought they didn't have anymore. Not to mention we didn't get enough to cover preorders.

oy, I ended up playing 3hrs of it, just wanted to test it out. Good stuff, and yea there is is online co-op, you have to beat a level and unlock it and then you can play it with people online, or at least thats what it seems.

[quote name='Kendal']So anyone else get the game in the case upside down?[/QUOTE]

Yup, mine was upside down too.

Can't wait to start playing this game tonight. I put way too many hours into Dawn of Sorrow.

I picked my copy up on the way home for work yesterday. I'm about 3-4 hours into it. I really like this game so far.

Anyone know how they changed the "percent complete" in this game? I've been through the castle for maybe 10 minutes, and completed the first picture world (Haze Town?) - yet I'm at 104% and change. What's the max in this game?

EDIT: I suppose the game art is alright; I much prefer Kojima's style to the anime influence they used for the two DS games, even if what's in PoR isn't half bad.

Hey, are we able to use the item shop online? I kind of need to get a long sword for a quest. I had one but I sold it thinking I wouldn't need it again.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Hey, are we able to use the item shop online? I kind of need to get a long sword for a quest. I had one but I sold it thinking I wouldn't need it again.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the shop is online.

Ugh, just got back from my EB. Guess what? They don't have my preorder bonus. I'm going to have to call later tonight and bitch at them.

Yeah, myke, I can’t understand the whole “100+% of the game map an hour in” thing either.

And my copy was upside-down too.

Weirdness abounds.

Loving this game so far. Currently stuck on...

Slime/Cauldron boss. I pushed the cauldron as far as it could go, so that I could be facing the boss the entire time. He still killed me. Also does anyone know if that green highlighted block inbetween this boss and the first portrait can be moved at this point? Both Charlotte and John can't move it

[quote name='mykevermin']EDIT: I suppose the game art is alright; I much prefer Kojima's style to the anime influence they used for the two DS games, even if what's in PoR isn't half bad.[/quote]

agree 100%. I was really turned off by this new art style.

I played an hour or so into the game and beat the first painting. So far it feels like SotN meets Super Mario 64, and that's not bad.

I am in so much freaking love with this game. I have put over 4 hours in and damn. It is just great Castlevania. I really like the game, as if I didn't already express that. I actually like the anime art style, but I guess that it because I rather enjoy anime. I really like the enemies so far. I have died multiple times because I was enjoying the fights so much I wasn't paying attention to my health. Castlevania friend code will be in my profile later tonight.

[quote name='Kendal']I actually like the anime art style, but I guess that it because I rather enjoy anime.[/quote]

As do I, but I greatly prefer Kojima's style.

[quote name='Purple Flames']As do I, but I greatly prefer Kojima's style.[/quote]

Shut up, jerk! My opinion is fact! ;)

I think it fits, plus I have always wanted to see an anime Castlevania. Anyone else watch the intro movie? It is awesomely awesome.

[quote name='Purple Flames']agree 100%. I was really turned off by this new art style.
[/QUOTE]
As was I, but it's not because it isn't Kojima. It's because it seems too "happy" to be art used in a Castlevania game. Even the pre-Kojima art had that serious, semi-dark tone to it.

Apparently, to "complete" the game (for those sticklers who want to get the maximum percentage possible, it is either 888% or 1000% (not sure yet).

Apparently, this numeric sleight of hand might fool two or even three people into thinking this makes PoR 8 times the game DoS was. Indeed.

Well after 6 hrs or so I got the crappy ending, now time to backtrack to try to get the good one, if anyone has any questions, let me know

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']Well after 6 hrs or so I got the crappy ending, now time to backtrack to try to get the good one, if anyone has any questions, let me know[/QUOTE]

How many different types of weapons are there? Can I get my hands on another katana to iaijutsu the shit out of some scary monsters? I'm maybe only 45 minutes in, I've only been in the first portrait so far...

[quote name='snotnose_colossal']asianxcore, for the part youre stuck on, try using the axe instead of the knife as your weapon and no youre not far enough to get by that other part yet.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I eventually beat him with the Claymore I had equipped, I just leveled up twice before fighting him again.

[quote name='SDC']How many different types of weapons are there? Can I get my hands on another katana to iaijutsu the shit out of some scary monsters? I'm maybe only 45 minutes in, I've only been in the first portrait so far...[/QUOTE]

I believe there are around 68-70 weapons total, that includes both characters, havent seen a Katana yet, but I am 100% sure there is one, since I am wearing a samurai hat

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']As was I, but it's not because it isn't Kojima. It's because it seems too "happy" to be art used in a Castlevania game. Even the pre-Kojima art had that serious, semi-dark tone to it.[/quote]

Yeah they need to go back to making these games moody. I want to feel like I am in a dank castle and not in a dank anime castle. Character designs are alright, they just need darker colors.

So I'm at the second boss now. Game seems to be going by at a much swifter pace. This is a good thing since I've been playing Megaman ZX before it. Does anyone really use the backdash?

[quote name='FurryCurry']Yeah they need to go back to making these games moody. I want to feel like I am in a dank castle and not in a dank anime castle. Character designs are alright, they just need darker colors.

So I'm at the second boss now. Game seems to be going by at a much swifter pace. This is a good thing since I've been playing Megaman ZX before it. Does anyone really use the backdash?[/QUOTE]
The backdash makes it really easy to avoid hits from the first boss.

bread's done
Back