Changes to gamestop.com (stop your gs bashing!!!)

I think the best thing that ever happened was the discovery of the backordered items trick, now we can use our edge card when doing that along with SAVER at least hopefully.

[quote name='Chitown021']So we're supposed to get excited about a shitty ass company becoming slightly less shitty? They're still the same giant turd just with a few less peanuts and pieces of corn stuck in it!

Almost every other retailer has had on-line GC redemptions for years now.[/quote]

please leave my thread

[quote name='monkeydeew']tracking edge card balance online is freaking sweet. it sucks that on the receipt it says your account number and your balance. if that receipt were to fall into the wrong hands you would be completely screwed[/QUOTE]

One would hope that GS has just enough intelligence to utilize those PIN codes on the cards to prevent this.

[quote name='cranguy']More like, to prevent the customer from seeing. Hell, from what I read on here, there are a large number of stores that won't even give values out over the phone anymore. There's a lot of psychological "sunken cost" processes at play if they can convince you to lug your old games into the store. In other words, if you've already gone through the trouble of bringing them to the store, you feel that you "might as well" sell them, no matter what they offer. Don't think this is by accident on their part, and one of the many many reasons I hate this corporation. It's subtle, but very evil.
[/QUOTE]

Good point. luckily most GS I've dealt with do give trade in values over the phone.

That last part...is epic...Warlocks do not need pets! Anyways it's a pretty good thing since now we can get the 10% plus free shipping. i wonder if they will let you combine it with other coupons.

[quote name='cranguy']More like, to prevent the customer from seeing. Hell, from what I read on here, there are a large number of stores that won't even give values out over the phone anymore. There's a lot of psychological "sunken cost" processes at play if they can convince you to lug your old games into the store. In other words, if you've already gone through the trouble of bringing them to the store, you feel that you "might as well" sell them, no matter what they offer. Don't think this is by accident on their part, and one of the many many reasons I hate this corporation. It's subtle, but very evil.[/quote]

Even when I HAD my 92-94 game last gen game collection, I would STILL lug them all home after getting a price quote from Gamestop, FYE or wherever, if I didn't like their 'generous offer'. Hell, the one local shop offered me $275 cash money or $300 something with all of the Silent Hill games for EVERY game in my collection.

I'm STILL happy as hell I had the chutzpah to walk back out with all of my stuff, since I sold it all a week or two later for $100+ more than either offer I received.

[quote name='cranguy']
However, I will admit, if AFF25+Edge+Free ship stacks....... I may have to bite. Until then, the secondspin 20% off+free ship is win. At least I know I'll (most likely) be getting a complete product.[/quote]

It would take all of those backordered PS1/N64/DC games which we can now order thanks to that exploit someone found being priced at their CURRENT IN STORE PRICES of 75% off for me to bite.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Most certainly not enough to get people to stop bashing, but certainly some nice changes and additions there. I like the fact that they are addressing their poor distribution of beta and promotional codes. I've been burned a few times by them in the past.
[/quote]
this..

[quote name='Apossum']also, no trade-in values posted online. I'm guessing they don't put those up to prevent competition from seeing.
[/quote]
they wouldn't allow you to view that though, it'll give the consumer more reason not to trade in his/her copy of MGS2 Sons of Liberty (they sell them for $4.99). this is why alot of gamers don't prefer FYE for trade ins since they give you jack shit for your older/last gen games. The trade-ins prices are easily accessible through secondspin. and also:

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']GS raked in $7 billion in revenue last year.[/quote]

they would never be able to beat that if they released the trade-in prices online.

gamestopshirtse1.jpg

Yeah, they are never going to post a complete list of their trade-in values. They want...no, check that...they need...uninformed people to bring in a stack of games and walk away with just $50 credit or whatever. As others have pointed, they take advantage of the "well, I'm here already" mentality. Even some people that would be disappointed with what they are getting will still trade the games, because a) they already made the trip and/or b) they might feel a little embarrassment over trying to take them back.

And in reality, as evil as it may be, anyone here on this site who does shop at GS wants and needs uninformed people to continue trading in their games to GS for next to nothing. Anyone who has ever used the 25% off used coupon and Edge to get that "brand new" game for 360 $35...anyone who has flipped the crap out of Sears clearance titles...that stuff is all possible, because of the fact that someone else traded in that 360 game for $25 or someone is willing to pay $12 for that opened copy of something we found brand new for $3.

I'm not saying it's right...I'm not saying it's fair...it's just business. And as is the case in nature, the strong will always beat the weak in business. The only difference is, instead of strength and speed, it is knowledge and position that rules the day in business.

Receive Edge Card member discounts online.
(Save 10% off used products and strategy guides!)
Stackable coupon option.
(This allows your Edge Card member discount to stack with other offers. How generous of us!)

you had me at "stackable coupons"

seriously, i may have to pick up an edge card now.

Sounds like many steps in the right direction. Must be pre-emptive damage control PR for the soon to be released Cheapy awards.

[quote name='dracula']you had me at "stackable coupons"

seriously, i may have to pick up an edge card now.[/quote]

Even if it means you have a 50/50 chance of receiving a disc only game?

[quote name='tangytangerine']Even if it means you have a 50/50 chance of receiving a disc only game?[/QUOTE]

hell that is a given. if you are buying something cheap to just play and not resell, or it is so cheap already that the resell value so low, well hell i wouldnt care about the no box no book risk.

I dont have a next gen console and wont get one until they have some serious price drops. well maybe if the Wii comes out with some really really nice collectors edition console. But still i would only use it for DLing old old school games. The point being that I wont be buying anything pricey from gs.com, and it is the pricey games that make it a big deal to get complete because it effects the resell value.

it would make getting cheap games even cheaper(instead of paying $10 + ship it would be $9 free ship. I think there is a minimum order amount to get free ship, so i wait for a sale, get cheap used games on sale and then the additional 10% off and free ship. it would be so cheap i wouldnt care about the 50/50 chance of no box or book

besides, the 50/50 chance of no box and no book was already a risk, so it isnt some sort of new risk.

With stackable coupons most of the deals should be good enough that if you just want to play the game you'll take the risk. I know there are collectors here and that won't fly with them (which is cool) but some others, like me, may not care.

^ Indeed.

Hell, even if you are a collector, you can always order from them, use your discounts, and if the game is incomplete and/or scratched up, just return it.

If Gamestop had kept EB's POS system and backend for the site, they wouldn't have had to wait 3 years to get all these features back. I welcome any and all changes to improve the usability of the site, especially when it comes to discounts, offers, and ease of checking availability and pricing.

Now if only they could re-hire the morning update guy to push the button.

As stated by a few others... all they've done is brought back the old EBGames website, without the morning updates or the guarantee of a complete product. I refuse to buy from their website until they either (a) guarantee a complete game or (b) list separate prices for complete, missing manual, or disc only copies of a game.

Sorry if repost (couldn't find it) or if it's in the wrong forum.

http://www.ebgames.com/gs/patchnotes/patch.asp

parchment_top.jpg

We are excited to bring “Power to the Players” with a new version of GameStop.com, coming in the next few weeks. We incorporated as many of your ideas as possible and sincerely appreciate all your great suggestions. There’s more to come! We hope you enjoy the new site features and look forward to your feedback.

Gift Giving:
  • Buy and redeem gift cards online.
    (Okay, okay. So, we’re a little late on this one. Wait! We’ll trade you our pet rock for a mood ring.)
  • Buy and redeem online-only gift certificates.
    (For those last minute "OMG, I forgot it was Graphics Designer Day" gifts.)
  • Check Gift Card or Edge Card balances online.
    (Tip: We just learned you can use this feature to keep an accountant entertained for hours.)
  • Wish list with registry functionality.
    (When Aunt Edna just won’t come through.)
  • Send a gift message with any order.
    (We like to order games for ourselves and attach mushy love notes. Try it. Works wonders for self-esteem.)
Multi-Channel:
  • Pre-order select products online and pick them up in-store.
    (Save the whales by reducing cardboard consumption. Do your part.)
  • Redeem Edge Card credits online.
    (You can score Edge Card credits by trading in used games to our brick and mortar stores.)
  • Enhanced store product availability feature.
    (Enter your Zip code once and see the three closest stores with in-stock product on every product page. Very handy if you decide to take a road trip to snag a rare copy of M.U.L.E.)
  • Enhanced navigation to show products that may be available in store, but are not available online.
    (Proving once again that we have the World’s Largest Selection of Gaming Products. We mean it. Stop counting. Really.)
Loyalty:
  • Receive Edge Card member discounts online.
    (Save 10% off used products and strategy guides!)
  • Stackable coupon option.
    (This allows your Edge Card member discount to stack with other offers. How generous of us!)
Research:
  • Dedicated “Back of Box” image section for top products.
    (We decided against “bottom-edge of box” shots, but it was a close vote.)
  • “Quick-jump” option on product page.
    (For those too lazy to scroll. You know who you are...)
  • Important ordering information repeated in search results listings.
    (If you select “add to cart” from search you’ll now know in advance that the next shipment of Wii’s is actually scheduled for 2059.)
Really Cool, but Difficult to Categorize Feature:
  • Automated promotional code distribution.
    (Receive beta and promotional codes via email immediately instead of when we get around to it. Codes will also be stored in your online order history.)
Serve Thyself:
  • Self-service order cancellation.
    (This is especially useful when you place a pre-order and a collector’s edition becomes available the following day. Good thing that never happens…)
  • Self-service credit card expiration updates.
    (Very handy when pre-ordering Blizzard products several years before they “Get it just right.”)
  • Self-service shipping service level changes.
    (Changed your mind about overnighting that copy of Chicken Hunter? This feature is for you.)
Social:
  • “Was this customer review helpful?” option.
    (Proof positive that dissing your friends and family can be fun.)
  • Discussion forum for every product.
    (You’ve waited 10 years for us to allow “This games sucks!” to be posted. Go ahead. Try it. Get it out of your system.)
  • Higher standards for customer reviews. 750 character minimum, with focus on features and benefits of product.
    (See if you’re the next Hemingway. Although didn’t he use fewer words?)
  • Featured Reviews.
    (Now we can select a favorite customer review for every product and force you to read it. Gaze into our eyes. You are getting very sleepy. You are losing your free will. You are getting out your credit card. You are soooo tired. You love to shop online.)
  • Unique ratings categories within customer reviews.
    (Now you can rate shooters by responsiveness, graphics, weapons selection and possibly even giblet splatter velocity.)
  • Aggregated customer reviews, by user.
    (Useful if you want to see how someone who reviewed Barbie: Fun & Games feels about Halo 3.)
  • Ability to enter expanded profile information such as favorite systems, genre categories and flavors of ice cream.
    (We prefer strawberry.)
  • “Display” names secured by profile registration.
    (On your mark. Get set. Go!)
Boring, but Useful E-Commerce Features:
  • Address book functionality.
    (Avoid carpal tunnel syndrome by saving your favorite shipping addresses.)
  • Ability to send different shipping groups to different addresses.
    (Ever wanted to send a copy of Grand Theft Auto IV to Folsom State Prison? Now you can.)
  • Ability to select different shipping service levels for different shipping groups.
    (Now you can send a pre-order overnight, but send a “Usually Ships Within 24 Hours” item via snail mail. Thrifty, huh?)
  • Store recently used credit card numbers in your profile.
    (Plus enhanced security to ensure that only you get to enjoy online shopping sprees.)
  • Expanded help section and more contextual help throughout the site. (Help. In case you need somebody. Not just anybody. In case you need someone.)
  • Address validation during checkout.
    (Verifies that your address is within the shipping carrier’s system and gives you a chance to correct it.)
  • Shipping and handling rate table available on Shopping Cart page.
    (No more sneaky, last minute, $10,000 shipping charges. Awww, We’ll miss those.)
  • Dynamic shipping service level options.
    (We’ll only show you options you can use at your chosen delivery address, so you don’t accidentally pay to ship your order to Kazakhstan.)

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Sounds cool, now if they could only improve some of the douche bags that work at the GS's near me ....[/quote]

I went to my local one to switch my MGS4 pre-order to the LE and I had been meaning to compliment the guy on how he runs the store compared to some other GS I've been to, but he didn't seem interested at all.

Pre-order select products online and pick them up in-store.
(Save the whales by reducing cardboard consumption. Do your part.)

I don't understand this one:
Does this mean you can request something from the online store to be shipped to be purchased at a local Gamestop?
OR
Does it mean that you can buy online and they'll ship it to your Gamestop like the Circuit City in-store pick-up?

Why are they acting like they just thought of these ideas? These ideas are soo 1999.

and im not sure about all there side comments they put in, trying to be to funny, but they failed.

[quote name='Tecka']Why are they acting like they just thought of these ideas? These ideas are soo 1999.

and im not sure about all there side comments they put in, trying to be to funny, but they failed.[/quote]

lol yeah. like the "how generous of us" comment. um no

GameStop just emailed to let me know that CAG16, SAVER, and your Edge card discount will now be stackable, giving you 26% off and free shipping off of used games.

If only they would mark the older games at the price they'd ring up in the stores though, Cheapy, then that 26% and free shipping would be phenomenal. Although, since they supposedly destroyed all of the older gen stuff recently, that might explain WHY the DC stuff was taken off the site.

[quote name='monkeydeew']please leave my thread[/quote]
you seem like a typical gamestop employee, a dick.

i guess your company took the cheapy awards a LITTLE serious

Worst Online Game Retailer: EB Games.com / GameStop.com

Worst B&M Game Retailer: EB Games / GameStop

Now the circle is complete. After winning Best Online Game Retailer three years in a row, EBgames.com (and GameStop.com) has gone from first to worst, picking up both Worst Retailer awards in the 4th and 5th Annual Cheapy Awards. After GameStop acquired EB Games, EB's website became a mirror image of GameStop.com, losing all the great deals they once provided. GameStop/EB recently announced some upcoming changes to their websites, which will hopefully help them break this cycle of shame. Unfortunately, it looks like used game listings still will not state if case and manuals are included. Only time will tell if GameStop/EB can pull themselves out of the gutter.

[quote name='CheapyD']GameStop just emailed to let me know that CAG16, SAVER, and your Edge card discount will now be stackable, giving you 26% off and free shipping off of used games.[/quote]

Sounds like a good deal to me.

[quote name='phear3d']you seem like a typical gamestop employee, a dick.

[/quote]

no, chitown is the dick and i want him out of my thread. he kept saying i'm on his ignore list but he keeps flaming me on the forums. phear i dont have beef with you

I really don't see what's wrong with Chitowns' posts, then again I have an extreme hatred towards Gamestop myself and I only shop there when I'm trading in nearly dead game systems or peripherals, as well as some nicely scratched up games that they give more for than I paid.

Otherwise, I see no good reason to shop there most times and with their destruction of the PS1/N64/Genesis/DC/etc stuff now, I see even less reason to shop there.

And yes, I realize that by trading in the horrible condition stuff, I'm no better than their usual group of customers who just treat their stuff like shit to begin with and don't do it intentionally like I do before trading to them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I really don't see what's wrong with Chitowns' posts, then again I have an extreme hatred towards Gamestop myself and I only shop there when I'm trading in nearly dead game systems or peripherals, as well as some nicely scratched up games that they give more for than I paid.
[/quote]

i dont care who does or doesnt shop at gs, if you guys really dont heart gs then go look for nocturne or wavebirds at bestbuy. shytown loves calling me a troll but what has that guy ever contributed to this website besides 'wah wah the cubs still suck'?

Well, it is quite a number of changes they are planning to implement. They probably figured it was best to shut the site down for a couple days, rather than listen to the massive amount of complaints they would get for certain features being disabled or errors that could potentially happen during the transition.

[quote name='monkeydeew']i dont care who does or doesnt shop at gs, if you guys really dont heart gs then go look for nocturne or wavebirds at bestbuy. shytown loves calling me a troll but what has that guy ever contributed to this website besides 'wah wah the cubs still suck'?[/quote]

Actually, I would never be looking for either of those things, so I know I wouldn't be looking for them at ANY PLACE.

As for things they have or haven't contributed, I honestly don't know, but I'm sure it's more constructive that bickering back and forth on an internet forum.

People don't like Gamestop and will NEVER BE HAPPY with the changes they're implementing, that much is certain, but do you have to comment EVERY time someone vents on their disgust with the company?

Are you a major shareholder of the company or the son of their CEO, to actually kiss their ass as much as you normally do?

People on here don't like the site and if they actually took some of their policies and made them like EB's old policies($5 Edge card for one), I'm sure some of us would be a little more understanding.

But the way it is now, when they give you 25% or less of what they're going to charge for an item and gouge on stuff to Ebay like prices, you can kind of see why very few of us have any words of praise for them.

People have differing opinions that won't always mesh with yours, you take the comments and move on, not dwell on them and name call. Admittedly, I've been guilty of that myself in the past, but I'm definitely trying to just let the words go.

To sum this all up in a brief sentence: Many people on here dislike Gamestop, some people will have radically different views than your own, accept that fact and MOVE ON.

With 26% off and free shipping back I'd be back to shopping at eb.com if they still guaranteed case and instructions for current gen games. I hate that they changed that and haven't bought a used game from the .com since.

If they are back to the old way when they come back I'll be back to shopping there from time to time.

[quote name='wubb']With 26% off and free shipping back I'd be back to shopping at eb.com if they still guaranteed case and instructions for current gen games. I hate that they changed that and haven't bought a used game from the .com since.

If they are back to the old way when they come back I'll be back to shopping there from time to time.[/quote]
When the marketing manager emailed me to tell me about the coupon codes, I wrote him back suggesting they re-implement this. Next week, I think I'll make a front page post announcing the coupons and suggest that CAGs send feedback with this request.

bread's done
Back