Changes to gamestop.com (stop your gs bashing!!!)

[quote name='lockey']I do miss the old locator. I guess hate change. :bomb:[/quote]

what's even more annoying is I have about 10 Gamestops within 7 miles of me...now I have to figure out the store's zip code depending on what direction I will be going.

Good Morning,

The CAG16, Saver ($25 min) and Edge Member 10% discounts should be stacking properly now. Any valid, unexpired, Edge Membership should work fine.

In regard to the store inventory look-up feedback we have added the following project to our "future release" list:

If the number of stores with available inventory exceeds X stores in a given radius, we will add a (+) more link to the list, which will further expand the results.

It could be awhile before we have this in place, so for now, if you want to see more than the three closest stores with inventory, you will need to enter neighboring Zip codes.

Thank you for your feedback and for your patience!

Best,
Retroactive

I'm trying to order a used copy of Smash Bros Brawl online, but I get this message "The quantity requested exceeds available inventory. You will be shipped a portion of your order now and the balance if more product becomes available." It won't let me advance past the shopping cart with Brawl in my cart. Is this a glitch or is it just telling me they don't have any even though it's not listed as backordered and that it would ship in 24 hours?

Hey, guys are lucky to have a site at all! The EB CANADA site is BROKEN, and they keep on promising to add features , but for over a year now, and they havent added anything...

Do you work on the CANADIAN SITE too, Retroactive? If so when's the promised ONLINE SHOPPING COMING?

[quote name='TerpsJunkie']I'm trying to order a used copy of Smash Bros Brawl online, but I get this message "The quantity requested exceeds available inventory. You will be shipped a portion of your order now and the balance if more product becomes available." It won't let me advance past the shopping cart with Brawl in my cart. Is this a glitch or is it just telling me they don't have any even though it's not listed as backordered and that it would ship in 24 hours?[/QUOTE]
TerpsJunkie,

Thank you for sharing this issue. It has been logged and we will address it as soon as possible. The system is supposed to change the status of any used product to "Not for Sale Online" status if the available inventory drops to zero. The updates to the search results and product page did not trigger properly, however the cart warning worked as intended. We will manually change the status for now and hope to have the automated updates fixed shortly.

Thanks again and please let us know if you experience any other issues.

Best,
Retroactive

[quote name='gamer602']Hey, guys are lucky to have a site at all! The EB CANADA site is BROKEN, and they keep on promising to add features , but for over a year now, and they havent added anything...

Do you work on the CANADIAN SITE too, Retroactive? If so when's the promised ONLINE SHOPPING COMING?[/QUOTE]
Hi Gamer602,

Yes, the limited functionality of the Canadian site has been a thorn in our side for quite awhile. My apologies.

We plan to extend the functionality of the new U.S. site into the Canadian environment as soon as possible. We had to prioritize the stateside development, but after this environment has stablized, we will begin deployment of a robust Canadian site, with full E-commerce functionality. I would love to be able to tell you that this will be delivered in 2008, but I unfortunately cannot guarantee it.

Hang in there, it will be worth the wait.

Best,
Retroactive

I'm sure it's just a placeholder, but it wasn't like this before the new site was launched, my order status for MGS4 LE is now listed as NBA 2000 PS3 and the status is "verifying". Whereas before the new site launched, it was listed properly and the status was "Pre order". I assume they know that NBA 2000 PS3 means MGS4 LE and my card isn't being charged until it ships.

[quote name='scsg75']I'm sure it's just a placeholder, but it wasn't like this before the new site was launched, my order status for MGS4 LE is now listed as NBA 2000 PS3 and the status is "verifying". Whereas before the new site launched, it was listed properly and the status was "Pre order". I assume they know that NBA 2000 PS3 means MGS4 LE and my card isn't being charged until it ships.[/quote]

I think a few people commented on this in the MGS4 bonus disc thread, and they said they were reassured by customer service that they are aware of the problem and that, on their end, the order is still showing up as a pre-order for MGS4 LE.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I think a few people commented on this in the MGS4 bonus disc thread, and they said they were reassured by customer service that they are aware of the problem and that, on their end, the order is still showing up as a pre-order for MGS4 LE.[/quote]

cool. I figured as much. And if I do get NBA 2000 for PS3 it will be pure profit for me because that game is so rare it doesn't even exist!

Eh maybe it's just me but I seem to be getting a lot of errors I wasn't getting previously. Heck when I tried to go to Gamestop.com earlier I got sent straight to an error page.

[quote name='rainking187']Eh maybe it's just me but I seem to be getting a lot of errors I wasn't getting previously. Heck when I tried to go to Gamestop.com earlier I got sent straight to an error page.[/quote]

The growing pains of a new system, unfortunately.

By clicking on all products -> gameboy -> price drop (last column) they have over 800 price drops for gameboy games, just thought I would let you all know.

The couple of times I shopped at a Gamestop store were so disenchanting I've never even bothered to look at the web site.

It looks as though they've only made it easier for the customer to be ripped off.

If Gamestop really wanted me to stop hating them they would have their used games reflect some sort of honest value (rather than just saving a dollar and some change off the new price) or at the very least have the trade in value closer to the used value.

And the whole asking for money to preorder is a total scam. I've preordered things before but Gamestop is the only place that's ever asked me for money, not to mention the game's release was months away.

Try Harder Gamestop!

[quote name='GonzoGamer']The couple of times I shopped at a Gamestop store were so disenchanting I've never even bothered to look at the web site.

It looks as though they've only made it easier for the customer to be ripped off.

If Gamestop really wanted me to stop hating them they would have their used games reflect some sort of honest value (rather than just saving a dollar and some change off the new price) or at the very least have the trade in value closer to the used value.

And the whole asking for money to preorder is a total scam. I've preordered things before but Gamestop is the only place that's ever asked me for money, not to mention the game's release was months away.

Try Harder Gamestop![/QUOTE]

How is preordering a scam? I am well aware of the fact that you are giving gamestop an interest free loan when you give them your money, however its far from a scam. Its only a scam if you order something and then forget you left your money at gamestop, and if your too stupid to remember if you preordered something then its your own fault that gamestop is taking your money. Only order products you are intending to pay for and you shouldn't have a problem with it. You can get the money back at any time by simply going into the store and requesting it! Don't come back here crying that game x that you want to buy is too hard to find if you didn't preorder..

Best Buy and CC both ask for money for preorders, its so they don't get a bunch of games in and then end up having people never come and pick them up. If they didn't take money for preorders, this would be rampant and it would result in higher game prices or the preorder system going away totally because the stores would be stuck with a lot of product that they would be unable to sell.

If you don't like their used prices and their preorder policy don't shop there, no one is forcing you to.

[quote name='GonzoGamer']The couple of times I shopped at a Gamestop store were so disenchanting I've never even bothered to look at the web site.

Try Harder Gamestop![/quote]

A big YAAAAAAAAWN for generic GS bashing.

I would break this down, but SaraAB already did that.

Hi All!

Some updates and clarifications:

1. We checked into the "white sticker" Edge Card issue and these should work fine online as long as the membership is not expired. The color of the sticker doesn't matter.

2. Price drop links. The directory format of the new site has changed, so you'll need to create new links. The core functionality is still available, so you can still check out the latest price drops by category.

3. Online pre-orders. No deposit is required for online pre-orders at GameStop.com or EBgames.com. (Never has been) We bill only when your order is processed for shipment. In stores, you usually only have to put down a small deposit, which varies relative to the price of the item you are reserving. This lets us more accurately predict demand and ensures we have plenty of inventory for everyone come launch day.

4. Morning Update. This featured was not facilitated directly by the EBgames.com team, but was pulled together by the CAG community. To put it as delicately as possible, EB had a buying strategy that was a bit more liberal, and therefore more unsold goods leftover to mark down. You will still find gems in our price drops, but you may need to look a bit harder than in the EB days.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Retroactive

I can't order anything on-line today. When I go to order it needs me to enter a shipping address, but it won't take.

Oh well

[quote name='SaraAB']How is preordering a scam? I am well aware of the fact that you are giving gamestop an interest free loan when you give them your money, however its far from a scam. ....

If you don't like their used prices and their preorder policy don't shop there, no one is forcing you to.[/quote]

And how is that NOT a scam? I don't even know what the preorder policy for bestbuy or cc because I go there they day the game comes out and they sell it to me. I don't have to give them $5 for each game months ahead of time. That's NOT pre-ordering that's some sort of perversion of layaway which stores don't do anymore because people realized it's a scam.

I've pre-ordered other things from other stores and it usually consists of me calling them and giving my name and phone #. There's no exchange of money until I get the product. THAT is preordering.

What I find interesting is that my arguments are boring and "generic" complaints. If so many people have noticed these same problems, that should tell you something.

The last thing you wrote was the most intelligent. I have never "preordered" anything from them and I generally don't shop there, ever. And little tweaks to the web site (like making it easier for customers to give them a no interest loan) aren't going to change my mind.

With the white and yellow sticker issues...

You do realize they just use the same printer that prints the used/new stickers. They use whatever labels they currently have loaded, since they use the same printer, and have to load up the labels when they need to change it.

There is NO difference.

[quote name='greydemise']it sounds like myspace, but with the option to buy games[/quote]

It would be a geek pedophiliac's dream.

But yes, until GameStop can guarantee SecondSpin.com quality with used games, I will not be impressed.

And how is that NOT a scam? I don't even know what the preorder policy for bestbuy or cc because I go there they day the game comes out and they sell it to me. I don't have to give them $5 for each game months ahead of time. That's NOT pre-ordering that's some sort of perversion of layaway which stores don't do anymore because people realized it's a scam.

Wow...you're making no sense...do you even know what the meaning of the word "scam" is? You shouldn't use words you don't even know the meaning of. It doesn't look right.

[quote name='Retroactive']Hi All!

Some updates and clarifications:

1. We checked into the "white sticker" Edge Card issue and these should work fine online as long as the membership is not expired. The color of the sticker doesn't matter.

2. Price drop links. The directory format of the new site has changed, so you'll need to create new links. The core functionality is still available, so you can still check out the latest price drops by category.

3. Online pre-orders. No deposit is required for online pre-orders at GameStop.com or EBgames.com. (Never has been) We bill only when your order is processed for shipment. In stores, you usually only have to put down a small deposit, which varies relative to the price of the item you are reserving. This lets us more accurately predict demand and ensures we have plenty of inventory for everyone come launch day.

4. Morning Update. This featured was not facilitated directly by the EBgames.com team, but was pulled together by the CAG community. To put it as delicately as possible, EB had a buying strategy that was a bit more liberal, and therefore more unsold goods leftover to mark down. You will still find gems in our price drops, but you may need to look a bit harder than in the EB days.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Retroactive[/QUOTE]

[Emphasis Mine]

the term "morning update" came from the fact that the old EB website was updated at around 7 or 8 AM EST time every weekday (and or around that time).. we used to joke that there was a guy who 'Hit a big red button to update' .. but it was the fact that the inventory didn't change sporadically every day.. like GS does now.. the only time the website was updated with new used product was in the daily morning update.. but its just how the two websites were set up..

the big thing though.. stackable coupon codes.. is really the "meat and potatoes" of old EB's site.

[quote name='urzishra14']

the term "morning update" came from the fact that the old EB website was updated at around 7 or 8 AM EST time every weekday (and or around that time)..[/quote]

Hi Urzishra,

Got it, you are correct. The majority of the EB price updates (old site) occurred automatically with the morning update job, however the juicy ones were usually pushed manually in the afternoon, when the results could be monitored. In the old GS environment, all price changes were pushed manually. In the new GS environment, most price changes will be pushed automatically, twice daily. (Once in the morning and then again in early afternoon) This schedule may change, so don't hold us to it! ;) The juicy ones (>30%drop) will continue to be pushed manually. We will give you a heads up when we can.

Best,
Retroactive

I ordered a few things the night the site came back online. A couple days went by with the order stuck in the "verifying" phase, but now everything is backordered.

However, 3 of the games in my order are still listed as being in stock when you look them up.

What's up with that Retroactive?

[quote name='onikage']I ordered a few things the night the site came back online. A couple days went by with the order stuck in the "verifying" phase, but now everything is backordered.

However, 3 of the games in my order are still listed as being in stock when you look them up.

What's up with that Retroactive?[/QUOTE]
Hmmm, send me your order number privately and I'll fast track it through the customer service team first thing tomorrow morning.

Unfortunately, I know the developers are working through an issue where the website is not updating with the proper inventory status after some items have sold out. This is currently affecting about 100 used products. I'm pretty sure this is just affecting the status on the search results and product pages though; if the site let you check out, the products should have been in stock. I will confirm and get you an update on your order ASAP. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience.

Best,
Retro

Hi Retro,

I pre-ordered Metal Gear Solid 4 last night on ebgames.com and used a edge card which had store credit on it.My email reciept doesnt mention or show that I used edge credit.Under my order history it shows I used the gift card and it's greyed out under a total price.I also have no option to cancel the order,change payment method,or shipping method...Is any of this normal?

Thanks

[quote name='matrixadw']Hi Retro,

I pre-ordered Metal Gear Solid 4 last night on ebgames.com and used a edge card which had store credit on it.My email reciept doesnt mention or show that I used edge credit.Under my order history it shows I used the gift card and it's greyed out under a total price.I also have no option to cancel the order,change payment method,or shipping method...Is any of this normal?

Thanks[/QUOTE]
Hi Matrixadw,

Thanks for the pointing out the order confirmation issue. We have logged the issue and hope to have it resolved shortly. As long as your order history shows the gift card, it was properly applied to your order. (Note that the balance is not actually removed from your card until the order ships)

The self-service options are only available during certain stages of order processing. If the order states "Verifying" that just means that a customer agent has to review the order and release it before you will be able to perform any self-service changes. This is normal. If you need to make a change to your order immediately you can do so by calling customer directly.

Hope this helps and thanks again for the heads up on the order confirmation email!

Best,
Retro

No problem and thanks for the quick reply back.

As for the status of the order it just lists it as a pre-order and the bonus disc as backordered,with no self-service options.

I sent you a reply back to your pm,if you could let me know via pm or here if it all looks ok,that would be great.I'm not going to cancel this order,my biggest fear was being charged full price and my edge card credit not being applied.

Thanks again.

Anyone else having problems trying to even order something right now? When I'm logged into my account I cant add anything to the cart,I get a 500 error message and it says "OOPS! Game Over.Our server was unable to proccess your request.Please try again later."

It's been doing this for atleast two hours.

[quote name='botticus']http://www.gamestop.com/search.asp?N=73[/quote]
Ugh, they just screwed it up.

It was FAR easier being able to browse through the price drops by date. Now with all the Game Boy games marked down online, it's friggen difficult to get through what's dropped recently and what not.

It was better when you could see what was dropped today & yesterday, seven days ago and thirty days ago.

Yeah, I got those error messages too, game over. I also couldn't get my white-stickered edge card to register on my account. I guess its just glitches with the website.

I'm still getting the Oooops! game over message when I try to use the shopping cart on my account.I just used this account the other day to pre-order a game,which I was talking with Retro about in the above posts. I decided to try to making another account and it's working fine,so I'm not sure what the deal is,but now I have two accounts and only one lets me order stuff. I emailed [email protected] and am waiting for a reply back.

"And how is that NOT a scam? I don't even know what the preorder policy for bestbuy or cc because I go there they day the game comes out and they sell it to me. I don't have to give them $5 for each game months ahead of time. That's NOT pre-ordering that's some sort of perversion of layaway which stores don't do anymore because people realized it's a scam."
[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Wow...you're making no sense...do you even know what the meaning of the word "scam" is? You shouldn't use words you don't even know the meaning of. It doesn't look right.[/quote]

It may not be a "scam" but it is a pretty brilliant scheme for negating quite a few costs of running a store. Aside from the interest-free loan (which does add up with the number of customers GS has), it also lets GS pay in part or whole for its merchandise out of someone else's pockets (without borrowing or setting aside its own money until a sale is made) _and_ gauge demand. The reason so many people get pissed about pre-orders is that there is _no_ benefit to the customer. That said, I try to help out the local GS monkeys when they have been helpful to me. It doesn't cost me very much to loan GS the $5 or $10 for a pre-order.

Trade-ins _are_ a scam, I'd rather give games I am tired of to friends... The only time GS sees any trade-ins from me is when I get something on close-out and can get 200% or so in trade-in credit and when it is something I wouldn't want a friend to be subjected to.

The reason so many people get pissed about pre-orders is that there is _no_ benefit to the customer.

I've never seen anyone claim that. The reason people get annoyed about pre-orders at GS is because they are sick of a cashier asking multiple times every visit about pre-ordering. And pre-ordering does have benefits to customers. For one, a lot of big-name titles have pre-order bonuses. Want to be in on the MGO beta? You have to pre-order. Also, not everyone has a big box near them to visit on the day of the release. Even if they do, why even risk that small chance they won't have the game? I pre-order the game, the store has it. End of story.

Trade-ins _are_ a scam, I'd rather give games I am tired of to friends... The only time GS sees any trade-ins from me is when I get something on close-out and can get 200% or so in trade-in credit and when it is something I wouldn't want a friend to be subjected to.

Trade-ins are not scams, either. A scam involves deception or fraud. They is nothing deceptive or fraudulent about what GS or any other store does. Now, if they said, "We'll give you $30 for that game," and when you walk out, you see that you got $2, that would be a different story.

I found those pages for Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence that don't show up in the search (just looked them up on Google with GameStop thrown into the search). I just wanted to check and make sure that I can trust their prices and store locators, right?

I assume the whole problem is with GameStop's search, but there's still that possibility that it is with the games' pages (you know, like they could be frozen in the time when they disappeared from the search or something like that). The only reason I'm asking is that for the last three days, both pages have said that my mall has copies of them, yet I was in that store the first day I searched (I didn't find those pages until I got back from the store) and and I didn't see either game (I did see copies of MGS2 and Donkey Konga though, which would have been right by them). When I got back from the store and first saw they were have supposed to have been there, I assumed that they had been bought before I went in and the system hadn't updated (or both had coincidentally been moved from the proper alphabetical places), but now it is 3 days later and the store listings are the same.

[quote name='CheapBastardToo']"And how is that NOT a scam? I don't even know what the preorder policy for bestbuy or cc because I go there they day the game comes out and they sell it to me. I don't have to give them $5 for each game months ahead of time. That's NOT pre-ordering that's some sort of perversion of layaway which stores don't do anymore because people realized it's a scam."[/quote]

Just randomly pulled that out of your ass huh?

Let's take a gander at retail stores that offer pre-orders in exchange for $5-10.

Best Buy
Circuit City
Toys R Us
Wal-mart
Target

Yep. Stores don't do anymore. And before I forget, my wife worked at a Best Buy and she sold plenty of pre-order unprovoked.

Grasping the English language is wicked awesome.

Here's the definition of a scam

"a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation"

I don't frequently trade in at Gamestop, but in the few times I have the cashier has never tried to pull a fast one and make me an offer then try to change it during the course of the transaction. It's not like they say "Oh yeah, we'll take that copy of Halo 3. It gets $25" then as you're getting your money, the clerk says "fuck you. I'm only giving you $8!" and runs off with your game.

Just because you don't agree with what they are giving you doesn't mean it is a scam.

Oi.

The new in-store locator needs to go. I don't need results for 100 miles away. I know its probably not possible, but it'd be nice if there was a way to tell if a pre-owned game was complete in store as well. I called up my local store and a new employee refused to tell me if something was complete or not. 10 minutes and a gallon of gas later, I leave without a copy of Ridge Racer 7.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I've never seen anyone claim that. The reason people get annoyed about pre-orders at GS is because they are sick of a cashier asking multiple times every visit about pre-ordering. And pre-ordering does have benefits to customers. For one, a lot of big-name titles have pre-order bonuses. Want to be in on the MGO beta? You have to pre-order. Also, not everyone has a big box near them to visit on the day of the release. Even if they do, why even risk that small chance they won't have the game? I pre-order the game, the store has it. End of story.

Trade-ins are not scams, either. A scam involves deception or fraud. They is nothing deceptive or fraudulent about what GS or any other store does. Now, if they said, "We'll give you $30 for that game," and when you walk out, you see that you got $2, that would be a different story.[/quote]

A crappy toy or another extra that _used_ to be packed it for free in all packages for some releases when PC games came in big boxes? That's not really an extra benefit to consumer, you just get screwed less IMO.

I found wikipedia's definition of scam fairly apropos: "A confidence trick or confidence game, also known as a con, scam, swindle, grift, bunko, flim flam, or scheme, is an attempt to swindle a person or people (known as the "mark" or sometimes "griftee") which involves gaining his or her confidence." Exchanging an item purchased for $60 for $15 dollars of store credit or $12 cash, and shelving it for sale at $55 pretty much fits right in the middle of the field on that particular set.

Yes, I am familiar with all the arguments vis a vis cost of shelf space, immediate gratification, declining values... but the truth is that GS uses its near-monopoly to its own advantage, much like Ebay, Wal-Mart, Microsoft, Apple or any large company does. More power to their management for doing a good job... but a spade is still a spade.

A crappy toy or another extra that _used_ to be packed it for free in all packages for some releases when PC games came in big boxes? That's not really an extra benefit to consumer, you just get screwed less IMO.
Sorry, but your opinion is fairly meaningless. It's YOUR opinion. Your opinion on something doesn't make it a scam. Another person might think video games are a scam. You're paying someone $60 to control some character on a screen. Get out and get some exercise. Now, do YOU think video games are a scam?

I found wikipedia's definition of scam fairly apropos: "A confidence trick or confidence game, also known as a con, scam, swindle, grift, bunko, flim flam, or scheme, is an attempt to swindle a person or people (known as the "mark" or sometimes "griftee") which involves gaining his or her confidence." Exchanging an item purchased for $60 for $15 dollars of store credit or $12 cash, and shelving it for sale at $55 pretty much fits right in the middle of the field on that particular set.
Bzzzz...wrong...try again. As I and another use have already pointed out, a scam is defind as "a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation" by Merriam-Webster (they know a little something about words). Again, there is nothing deceptive or fraudulent about what they do. It isn't a con game, either. A con game also involves deception and fraud. Not happening here. Get your facts straight.

Yes, I am familiar with all the arguments vis a vis cost of shelf space, immediate gratification, declining values... but the truth is that GS uses its near-monopoly to its own advantage, much like Ebay, Wal-Mart, Microsoft, Apple or any large company does. More power to their management for doing a good job... but a spade is still a spade.
What does GameStop monopolize? What product or service do they have a monopoly over? They aren't the only store that sells video game, and they aren't the only outlet you have to sell video games.

Please keep this conversation ON TOPIC. If you want to talk about the philosophy of trade-ins and pre-orders, please do so in another thread.

Good thing I held off on the off-topic-ness.

Retroactive, if you're still following this thread, I have an issue with the Store Availability feature of which you and your team may not be aware. Namely, odd, duplicate yet separately-named stores that have the same location and map displayed. I can PM you examples if necessary.

I encountered this issue trying to locate a used copy of Soul Nomad for the PS2. Given that there seem to be additional problems with the entry for this game (the price is $3.99 and the screenshots are from a different game), perhaps this is an isolated incident. Perhaps not. It's hard to re-create the problem with other games given the nature of the updated system (3 stores at a time and not a whole list).

I just go to mine near the Target. Its one of the best Gamestops I have ever been to compared to the two in the mall. It was big compared to other stores and had nice employees. However they are still required to ask if you want a gamestop card (I already have one) and a reserve.

I don't know if this issue has been posted yet, but I'm trying to use Edge credit, and it is still charging me tax (I have over $50 credit and I'm trying to purchase a $49.99 game). Whenever I use edge credit in the store I am NEVER charged tax. What's the deal, as I'd love to order something online and save the hassle of going to the store since it's quite a drive.

bread's done
Back