Changes to gamestop.com (stop your gs bashing!!!)

Hi All,

Quick update from the GameStop.com Team:

Login and Shipping Address Failures: When we migrated the user accounts from the old site to the new site, the data was corrupted for some users. We have a fix identified and a patch should be deployed within the next several hours. The shipping drop-down problem is already pushing to the production environment and will likely be corrected by the time you read this.

Missing Order History: We are back-filling historical order status, by date. Order status for all open orders is now available, but it may be several weeks before your entire closed order history is loaded.

Inventory Status Discrepancies: For many products, the site was not reflecting the proper inventory availability status. This has been corrected. If you placed orders for in-stock products over the last several days, you may find upon checking order history that the product is actually back-ordered. The order history status is accurate. We will ship the back-ordered products as they become available.

Edge Card Discount ($2 Card Not Working): We have identified the problem and this will be corrected in a patch later this evening.

Thanks again for your patience and for bringing these issues to my attention.

Best,
Retro

As much as I dislike GS, the new site is pretty good, and the fact that an employee now posts here and is actually helpful speaks volume. Thanks for that, Retro.

[quote name='dfg']Good thing I held off on the off-topic-ness.

Retroactive, if you're still following this thread, I have an issue with the Store Availability feature of which you and your team may not be aware. Namely, odd, duplicate yet separately-named stores that have the same location and map displayed. I can PM you examples if necessary.

I encountered this issue trying to locate a used copy of Soul Nomad for the PS2. Given that there seem to be additional problems with the entry for this game (the price is $3.99 and the screenshots are from a different game), perhaps this is an isolated incident. Perhaps not. It's hard to re-create the problem with other games given the nature of the updated system (3 stores at a time and not a whole list).[/quote]

Hi DFG,

Thanks for the info. Not sure why we had boxing screenshots for Soul Nomad, but then again, I've always wanted a good boxing RPG. :D We'll pull those down right away.

Regarding the store locator, there are actually several malls where we have multiple stores. This may account for multiple stores with the same address. We may just need to update the descriptions with "upstairs" and "downstairs." Then again, this could also be a system glitch... Either way, please PM me the Zip code you are searching under and I'll take a look.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Best,
Retro

I don't know if this issue has been posted yet, but I'm trying to use Edge credit, and it is still charging me tax (I have over $50 credit and I'm trying to purchase a $49.99 game). Whenever I use edge credit in the store I am NEVER charged tax. What's the deal, as I'd love to order something online and save the hassle of going to the store since it's quite a drive.

Hi All,

Quick update from the GameStop.com Team:

Login and Shipping Address Failures: When we migrated the user accounts from the old site to the new site, the data was corrupted for some users. We have a fix identified and a patch should be deployed within the next several hours. The shipping drop-down problem is already pushing to the production environment and will likely be corrected by the time you read this.

Missing Order History: We are back-filling historical order status, by date. Order status for all open orders is now available, but it may be several weeks before your entire closed order history is loaded.

Inventory Status Discrepancies: For many products, the site was not reflecting the proper inventory availability status. This has been corrected. If you placed orders for in-stock products over the last several days, you may find upon checking order history that the product is actually back-ordered. The order history status is accurate. We will ship the back-ordered products as they become available.

Edge Card Discount ($2 Card Not Working): We have identified the problem and this will be corrected in a patch later this evening.

Thanks again for your patience and for bringing these issues to my attention.

Best,
Retro

As much as I dislike GS, the new site is pretty good, and the fact that an employee now posts here and is actually helpful speaks volume. Thanks for that, Retro.

[quote name='dfg']Good thing I held off on the off-topic-ness.

Retroactive, if you're still following this thread, I have an issue with the Store Availability feature of which you and your team may not be aware. Namely, odd, duplicate yet separately-named stores that have the same location and map displayed. I can PM you examples if necessary.

I encountered this issue trying to locate a used copy of Soul Nomad for the PS2. Given that there seem to be additional problems with the entry for this game (the price is $3.99 and the screenshots are from a different game), perhaps this is an isolated incident. Perhaps not. It's hard to re-create the problem with other games given the nature of the updated system (3 stores at a time and not a whole list).[/quote]

Hi DFG,

Thanks for the info. Not sure why we had boxing screenshots for Soul Nomad, but then again, I've always wanted a good boxing RPG. :D We'll pull those down right away.

Regarding the store locator, there are actually several malls where we have multiple stores. This may account for multiple stores with the same address. We may just need to update the descriptions with "upstairs" and "downstairs." Then again, this could also be a system glitch... Either way, please PM me the Zip code you are searching under and I'll take a look.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Best,
Retro

Retroactive,

Thanks for the support; I very much appreciate all of the responses. As for the update, I'm disappointed by the new store availability / inventory locator (as others have mentioned). I found a lot of games using the old system - in fact, I just used the old system's URL (seen below) to get great amounts of information at once.

http://www.gamestop.com/ productavail.asp? miles=200 & sku=938226 & zip=11010

If there was a hard-to-find game I wanted and I was concerned about getting it in good condition, the old system would give me a wide variety of store options to pick it up from. The basic inventory system (1-3 or 4+) would help me target the stores with more stock, which would also be the most likely to have a used game in good condition. If there is an advanced store search coming soon then that's fantastic, and I'll just wait patiently. If not, it may going to make it difficult for me to buy games from Gamestop since I won't be able to shop as efficiently as before. Regardless, thanks again for the attention you're giving us. Many of the changes on Gamestop.com are overwhelmingly positive.

Thanks,
Nwaugh

Hey Nwaugh.

Thanks! You guys/gals have been very friendly and I appreciate the helpful feedback.

We absolutely plan to add the ability to expand the list, when there are more than 3 stores with available stock within a given radius. We hope to have that functionality within the next few months.

We removed the quantity display from the old site before X-mas as we found there were too many folks neglectingto call the store first, especially when we were showing more than four units in-stock. As you noted, you never know what you'll get until you call to confirm the condition and even if there's one product in-stock, we'd rather you call the closest store first and save the gas. (This only works well if we expand the number of listings, so we definitely plan to address that.)

Long-term my dream would be to know the condition of in-store product and have real-time inventory updates. 'Tis but a dream at this stage, but it's always nice to have something to aspire to. ;)

Thanks again for the feedback!

Best,
Retro

p.s.: I couldn't get that link to work and I assume it was cached data. I would be very cautious about relying on information presented from cached legacy systems.

I was an avid user of the store locator function.
I do not like the new limited version.
If users were not calling to confirm ... why not just pop up a message advising to always call first?
In my opinion this function was not broken, so why try and fix it?

No, I did not read all the pages of responses before submitting my 2 cents.

[quote name='Retroactive']Hey Nwaugh.

Thanks! You guys/gals have been very friendly and I appreciate the helpful feedback.

We absolutely plan to add the ability to expand the list, when there are more than 3 stores with available stock within a given radius. We hope to have that functionality within the next few months.

We removed the quantity display from the old site before X-mas as we found there were too many folks neglectingto call the store first, especially when we were showing more than four units in-stock. As you noted, you never know what you'll get until you call to confirm the condition and even if there's one product in-stock, we'd rather you call the closest store first and save the gas. (This only works well if we expand the number of listings, so we definitely plan to address that.)

Long-term my dream would be to know the condition of in-store product and have real-time inventory updates. 'Tis but a dream at this stage, but it's always nice to have something to aspire to. ;)

Thanks again for the feedback!

Best,
Retro

p.s.: I couldn't get that link to work and I assume it was cached data. I would be very cautious about relying on information presented from cached legacy systems.[/quote]

Only problem with doing the above thing marked in red is if it's a game like DDS: Nocturne or something else rare or sought after. Calling ahead to verify the availability of the stock alerts the clerks who may end up grabbing it for themselves or disappearing it into the bottomless 'hold drawer' that many talk about being one of the ONLY good fringe bennies of working at Gamestop.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I had a question, if I preorder a game using credit from my Edge card do you take the credit off the card when I order or not until it ships?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Only problem with doing the above thing marked in red is if it's a game like DDS: Nocturne or something else rare or sought after. Calling ahead to verify the availability of the stock alerts the clerks who may end up grabbing it for themselves or disappearing it into the bottomless 'hold drawer' that many talk about being one of the ONLY good fringe bennies of working at Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather take the chance of driving to the store and it not being there than calling ahead to alert the employees of a potentially rare game in their store and guaranteeing that the game will not be there when I get there because someone will have grabbed it and put it into the hold drawer, then you won't see it again, but it will keep showing up on the locator, teasing you. If I drive there and the game isn't there, then its my own fault and I have to live with it, but at least I know that I didn't directly cause that to happen myself.

[quote name='SaraAB']I'd rather take the chance of driving to the store and it not being there than calling ahead to alert the employees of a potentially rare game in their store and guaranteeing that the game will not be there when I get there because someone will have grabbed it and put it into the hold drawer, then you won't see it again, but it will keep showing up on the locator, teasing you. If I drive there and the game isn't there, then its my own fault and I have to live with it, but at least I know that I didn't directly cause that to happen myself.[/QUOTE]

Agree w/ 100%.

Removing the order history from the site for any orders before the website changeover was the most single idiotic thing GS.com/EB.com has ever done.

Amazon.com has gone through multiple website revisions and I've never, ever, had any issues in looking up my old orders, going back to earlier than I've used GS.com and EB.com . Same thing with BestBuy.com and other Internet retailers.

[quote name='SaraAB']I'd rather take the chance of driving to the store and it not being there than calling ahead to alert the employees of a potentially rare game in their store and guaranteeing that the game will not be there when I get there because someone will have grabbed it and put it into the hold drawer, then you won't see it again, but it will keep showing up on the locator, teasing you. If I drive there and the game isn't there, then its my own fault and I have to live with it, but at least I know that I didn't directly cause that to happen myself.[/quote]

I've asked it before, and I'll ask it again. How does this logic compute? If someone is working somewhere, especially a store that is marketed as a gaming boutique, don't you already think that the rare games would be gone, if they wanted them? Honestly, think about it. If an employee was into collecting or selling rare games, they would already know that Nocturne or something was in that store. You calling isn't going to change anything. Either the employees don't care, and the game will still be on the shelves, or the employees do care, and the game is already hidden somewhere.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I've asked it before, and I'll ask it again. How does this logic compute? If someone is working somewhere, especially a store that is marketed as a gaming boutique, don't you already think that the rare games would be gone, if they wanted them? Honestly, think about it. If an employee was into collecting or selling rare games, they would already know that Nocturne or something was in that store. You calling isn't going to change anything. Either the employees don't care, and the game will still be on the shelves, or the employees do care, and the game is already hidden somewhere.[/quote]
If they weren't working at the time it was traded in, they won't know it's there unless they go looking for it.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Wow...you're making no sense...do you even know what the meaning of the word "scam" is? You shouldn't use words you don't even know the meaning of. It doesn't look right.[/quote]
Yes I do know what a scam is and you defined it yourself. So how is telling consumers that they'll never get the game the day it comes out without preordering, not a scam. They just lying then?
I never preorder and often get games on day of release.

I guess the used game ripoff isn't a literal scam (except when customers are given a used game after paying for a new one); it's just a swindle. Yes that's so much better.

Anybody getting the "Oops! Game over!" error on their site frequently? (I use Safari, by the way)

I was trying to order the MGS4 LE and I got that error at least 10 times during checkout, once when I clicked on the button to place my order. I also get it when I try to make changes to my account or view my orders.

I'm not sure why but Ebgames.com doesn't give me those errors. I assumed both sites used the same backends with just different graphics.

Finally, it looks like now the MGS4 LE order page says that $19.99 extra handling fee will be added to the order. That is excessive. My order doesn't have this $19.99 added, anyone else?

Will definitely cancel if they do try to rip me off $20 for nothing, too :).

[quote name='botticus']If they weren't working at the time it was traded in, they won't know it's there unless they go looking for it.[/quote]

Exactly. You're missing the point. They would know it is there, because they would look for it. If the employee is the type of person who collects or flips rare games, wouldn't they already know what is in the store? That's the first thing I would do if I was a young kid working part-time at a GameStop. It's one of the few benefits of working there. Thinking that some rare game collector/flipper wouldn't have already gotten to some game that was sitting there for months is silly. If it's still there...it's there for a reason...because no one who works there cares enough to get it or hide it.

[quote name='GonzoGamer']Yes I do know what a scam is and you defined it yourself. So how is telling consumers that they'll never get the game the day it comes out without preordering, not a scam. They just lying then?
I never preorder and often get games on day of release.

I guess the used game ripoff isn't a literal scam (except when customers are given a used game after paying for a new one); it's just a swindle. Yes that's so much better.[/quote]

I've never had one, single employee at a GameStop claim you won't get a game unless you pre-order. Like anything else, you can't blame a corporation for the stupidity or dishonesty of their employees. That isn't company policy. At most, I have had employees say you won't be able to get a copy THERE on the day of release, which is true for popular titles. They go fast at boutique-type stores, because they don't order many extra copies.

LOL...swindle. Another word you obviously have no clue as to the definition. Swindling someone out of their money entails...guess what...FRAUD...once again. And guess what? There is no fraud involved here...once again.

[quote name='rainking187']Sorry to bump this thread, but I had a question, if I preorder a game using credit from my Edge card do you take the credit off the card when I order or not until it ships?[/quote]

Hi Rain King,

Payments, whether from Gift, Edge or Credit Cards, are not billed until your order is processed for shipment. In the case of major pre-order launches this can be up to two weeks before the product ships, but is usually the same day your order is delivered to the shipping carrier.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Retro

Hi All,

I am pleased to announce that the "Not For Sale" product availability search has been extended to include several previously unavailable categories. All products with a combined total of more than 200 units available in our U.S. stores are now available for search on GameStop.com (excluding select highly-allocated products).

To enable the ability to see products available in-store, but not online, use the toggle button found at the bottom of any successful search result.

We also plan to add functionality to expand the results beyond three, which will allow you see additional stores, should more than three stores in your immediate area have a product in stock.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Best,
Retro

Very creepy - was about to order a ton of PS2 games and suddenly half of them disappeared. They all completely disappeared off the site. Today they all reappeared as out of stock. :p

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']

I've never had one, single employee at a GameStop claim you won't get a game unless you pre-order.
[/quote]

My store says that all the time.
Said that about Smash Bros, Apollo Justice, and Halo 3.
Just a few a remember. I don't even reply anymore. I just say No, and if they ask me again , I don't answer. All the stores around me usually ask 3 times or more during checkout.

i love when i walk in empty handed and they ask 'did you bring any trades today???' i empty my pockets on the counter and act bummed out that i didnt. well, in their defense i guess i could be carrying some disk only 360 games in the crack of my phat ass lol

[quote name='monkeydeew']i love when i walk in empty handed and they ask 'did you bring any trades today???' i empty my pockets on the counter and act bummed out that i didnt. well, in their defense i guess i could be carrying some disk only 360 games in the crack of my phat ass lol[/quote]

That's the best, though the local store clerks have stopped doing that since I think they realized how silly they looked asking someone coming in empty handed if they had stuff to trade.

I was asked that a couple times and the one time I told the clerk 'hold on I have to open a portal to the netherrealm where I have my games stored', then I reached out into the open air and was SO tempted to flip him the finger for being such a dumbass to ask such a silly question of me.

If my hands are empty, it should be a hint to you that I don't have anything to trade. Lately, I've told the local store clerks that unless I'm getting the better end of the deal, don't bother asking me that stupid question anymore.

Oh and VeronicaMars, where's that Macy's/mall at in that pic on your post? I ask because it looks familiar from my prior runs for guides. It looks like one I saw out in far northern NJ, out towards Long Island, NY.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I've asked it before, and I'll ask it again. How does this logic compute? If someone is working somewhere, especially a store that is marketed as a gaming boutique, don't you already think that the rare games would be gone, if they wanted them? Honestly, think about it. If an employee was into collecting or selling rare games, they would already know that Nocturne or something was in that store. You calling isn't going to change anything. Either the employees don't care, and the game will still be on the shelves, or the employees do care, and the game is already hidden somewhere.[/QUOTE]

They put them into the hold drawer where they often go for eternity. Sometimes you get a guy who is a flipper working at one of the stores (or an employee who wants to help out his friends) and who might not know every rare game, (especially if they don't own that system, I know the rare games for the systems I have, but I know I don't know all the rare games in the entire gaming industry across all systems!) so if you call and ask for a game, then they will check the value on ebay, and bam they either buy the game, have a friend buy the game, or they stick it into the hold drawer until they have the money to purchase it or until the ebay value skyrockets, which sometimes means its there for eternity.

Then you also have the possibility of the rare game being traded in when the guy isn't on the clock, sometimes they don't look for the games, or sometimes they forget or don't have the time.

Alright, I was just browsing through the PS3 section on Gamestop.com, and I noticed that practically every new PS3 game, even the fairly recent ones, are listed as being "Not for Sale". What's up with that?

Still no word on my question on page 10. Hopefully I can get it answered soon since this deals with Mario Kart.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I don't know if this issue has been posted yet, but I'm trying to use Edge credit, and it is still charging me tax (I have over $50 credit and I'm trying to purchase a $49.99 game). Whenever I use edge credit in the store I am NEVER charged tax. What's the deal, as I'd love to order something online and save the hassle of going to the store since it's quite a drive.[/quote]

[quote name='Ryukahn']Still no word on my question on page 10. Hopefully I can get it answered soon since this deals with Mario Kart.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you just got lucky in the store? I've always been charged tax when I use Edge credit.

[quote name='rainking187']Maybe you just got lucky in the store? I've always been charged tax when I use Edge credit.[/quote]

I don't think I'm lucky, because Gamecrazy does the same thing. They don't give you the tax when you trade in, so they don't charge you tax when you buy. Maybe in your area they give the tax when you trade in, so charging when you buy makes sense?

[quote name='Ryukahn']I don't think I'm lucky, because Gamecrazy does the same thing. They don't give you the tax when you trade in, so they don't charge you tax when you buy. Maybe in your area they give the tax when you trade in, so charging when you buy makes sense?[/QUOTE]

Nope, I get the standard trade in value plus the Edge 10%. No other sort of bonus.

Ok, wow...I didn't realize there were still so many issues with the site redesign. Has anybody else discovered that SAVER doesn't seem to work unless you have at least $25 of NEW merchandise in your cart? I've got a Nyko Perfect Shot and two used Xbox games (totaling $39 before tax) and the value shipping shows $2.99.

If I change the Perfect Shot quantity to 2, I get free shipping. What the hell is that? $25 is $25. If anything, you'd think GS would want us to buy used since that's pure profit for them. I really hope this is just a glitch and not part of some dumb new policy. And I hope they get it fixed asap.

So many glitches, it isn't even funny. DDS1 is showing up in stock, but whenever I add it to my cart, it adds three copies and says it exceeds the available quantity.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']So many glitches, it isn't even funny. DDS1 is showing up in stock, but whenever I add it to my cart, it adds three copies and says it exceeds the available quantity.[/quote]

Yeah, I ended up getting around my problem by adding a Wii Wheel to my cart as well. It was more than I was wanting to spend right now, but it's something I'd buy in another week or two anyway. On the plus side, even though the Wii Wheel is a preorder and will ship separately, I got the free value shipping on everything. So, ha! GS has to ship my first batch of stuff for free anyway, and then the Wii Wheel when it comes in next week.

bread's done
Back