CheapAss ESPN NFL2K5 League?

It will show a disconnect for him. In order for the player to quit both people have to agree to it. I had to quit one game already, but I've won 2 now.

Okay guys, I've recieved a couple friends requests already, but I'm gonna go on now and add everyones gamertag I don't have as friends yet to my list. So if you get a friend requesr from SECONDCOM1NG, that would be me. I'll be playing all weekend once I get the game tomorrow, so if anyones up for a game, let me know.

Okay I'm going to try to answer questions from here and on PM in one swoop.

First, the league will likely start sometime in August. The reasons are mainly to wait for an updated roster and patches. I'd like to have at least one updated roster before we begin.

Also, as many of you have seen there are problems connecting online. Visual Concepts has said they are working on both the problem with challenges and the problem with verifying rosters.

Beyond those problems there is also issues with QB spies, clipping penalties causing negative yards, and some other statistical issues. Really only the spy thing is a major issue for us and I doubt they fix it, but it would be nice and I'd like to give them a little time.

Oh, one major thing I guess that makes me want to wait to generate the schedule is that I guess the playoff function for leagues isn't working right yet.

Once problems are worked out on the game end I'll let everyone know about more concrete info about when the league will start.

Why don't we run the league in tune with the games in real life? I'm sure people will be able to set aside time for one game a week [much easier to set aside time if it is a regular thing], plus it keeps things organized.

For those that want more than one game a week, have tournaments running alongside the league.

One game a week would take a while, like about 5 months...I'd rather do at least 2 if we could. It's only 2 hours a week if we play the regular 5 mins. quatrters.

I'm betting they are going alphabetical order by the teams picked. Likely why I'm 23 of 25 with the Seahawks. ;)

Ultimate Matt X - Just a thought. I was gonna post a little ditty on the league page, and found I was unable to post. Is that something you want to avoid, or did you just not realize you could give league members posting ability. Just curious.

Uh Matt I'll take the Steelers, but I won't be available to play from about August 1st to the 6th. If thats alright then I'll go sign up. (If you planned to have games during that time guess I just won't play.

jmon22, no that's fine go ahead and sign up. We won't probably start till after that and even if you do you could play your game like right before or right after that period.

I have no idea about posting ability. I couldn't get into the site earlier, I'll go check it out now.

So the Browns are still available. Santurio they're yours, but if he doesn't reply who else is interested?

Okay I've updated the league page. I do ask that either ask me before you post something or at least make sure its a headline about an injury, trade, or something. I'll keep track of league rules and things like that. We can use the league board for general kind of questions.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']One game a week would take a while, like about 5 months...I'd rather do at least 2 if we could. It's only 2 hours a week if we play the regular 5 mins. quatrters.[/quote]

Yeah, but personally scheduling two games in the week would make it kind of tight, what with work/gym/social life --- if it was just me playing it would be easy, but you have to take into consideration two people's schedules, and you'd need THIRTY-TWO people to be able to play their games before you'd get to the second game.

[quote name='WildWop'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell']One game a week would take a while, like about 5 months...I'd rather do at least 2 if we could. It's only 2 hours a week if we play the regular 5 mins. quatrters.[/quote]

Yeah, but personally scheduling two games in the week would make it kind of tight, what with work/gym/social life --- if it was just me playing it would be easy, but you have to take into consideration two people's schedules, and you'd need THIRTY-TWO people to be able to play their games before you'd get to the second game.[/quote]

Understandable, but if the season takes the 5 to 6 months to complete it will not be very conveant either. I have school and a job, but I can set aside one hour every three or four days. I'm not even sure my Xbox Live subscription holds out that long enough to play for 6 months. Hopefully there is somekind of happy medium.

Questions :

1) How do I know who I'm going to play?

2) How would I go about setting up a time to play?

3) What if I'm available to play all the time and my opponent isn't? Will that hurt me?

Ultimate -

Maybe some ground rules should be put down. ie: when are we going to play, quarter length, penalties for being cheap, how do we report someone being cheap...

just a thought.

I know people have questions, but like I've said I'm not even sure about some of the answers myself. That's why I'm trying to wait and start the league so I can read about other leagues' experience.

I do know that if the two teams don't play by a certain time I can determine the winner. It gives the winner a 0-0 win, the bad part is that it basically ruins stats for the league.

mmn, the schedule generates itself and will let you know what games you have. As for setting up play I think the game has a way for you to log on and see if anyone in the league is on. Beyond that you can message your opponent on the league board.

My idea is to have the league week start on a Thursday and aim to have games done by Sunday. If that doesn't happen I'll try to arrange a time and whoever isn't there takes the loss. If we play two games a week we'll have part of the round go from Thursday - Saturday and the other Sunday thru Wednesday.

That's probablly why we'll stick to weekly games though. It might be hard to schedule for some, but if we'd make rounds three days I'm pretty sure we'd eventually have rounds in the middle of the week and that could be a mess. I'd expect the league to run about the same as the real NFL season, but just end a little earlier.

Derwood43,

Quarters are now set for six minutes on All-Pro difficulty. I'm not sure how to deal with players being cheap, I'm not sure if there is really much of a way too.

Everyone from now on lets discuss the league at the official site. I'll keep posting here to hunt members, but I'd like to keep everything else there.

http://leagues.espnvideogames.com/t/league.php?l=1796

I'd recommend everyone get set up with an MSN Messenger account. You can link an MSN Passport to your XBL account -- it will then notify you when people sign in to XBL, as well as what game they are playing. This way, even if you're wasting time here on the boards you can see if your opponent is signed in and playing ESPN.

EDIT:

You can also set it up to notify you when someone invites you to play a game.

What constitutes a person being cheap? I know lots of people like to go all blitz online but thats easily defeated with a simple dink and dunk passing offense.

Cheap, according to Derwood's dictionary, is someone who on 4th and anything from their own 20, goes for it...In the first quarter. Going for two point conversions when not needed. Basically, not being true to the sport of football.

Concerning the all-blitz, that's not cheap...that's stupid. I hope everyone does that. It'll be an easy tournament. :wink:

I say let'em go for 4th down if they think they can make it everytime...two point conversions are tough but if you know how to stop the short game it will eventually make the other person a loser.

i actually had a nice goal line stand yesterday, dude went for it and i stopped him. he of course, in turn, quit. little baby

yo zewone- i got on finally last night- if you are around later after 12 am est ill be on, so lets get a game going. or anyone for that matter.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I say let'em go for 4th down if they think they can make it everytime...two point conversions are tough but if you know how to stop the short game it will eventually make the other person a loser.[/quote]

No. You should be able to select punt return when the opponent is on their thirty in the first three quarters without worrying they are picking a play on fourth-and-ten. It ruins the experience. Going for two in the first quarter is also asinine. Same for onsides-kicking when not in the fourth quarter and/or NOT LOSING AT THE TIME. Cheese players should be shot. Kicked in the crotch with steel-toed boots, then shot.

heh, I just played some guy that went for every 4th down. Like 4th and 28 on his own 15 we're talking about. Needless to say, he got whooped. I say let em go for it on 4th and forever, easier for me to score after I sack them.

what I do until I know their playing style is select punt return on 4th, then once they go to the line, if they call a play instead of punting, audible a blitz all and that usually always results in a sack as they are sending recievers a far way out to make a first and in the time that takes, I can get to the QB. As for onside kicks, I've yet to play anyone who actually knows how to pull it off and it always ends up giving me great field position. Cheese players are easy to beat.

There's a new problem now. When I go to "my leagues" it says "failed to get leagues". I'm in THREE. I've got one where I have to play a game within 48 hours. This is some bullcrap. Maybe instead of getting their panties in a twist to release this game early and beat Madden they should've held it back a few weeks and did something crazy like, I dunno, TEST FOR BUGS.

I emailed ESPN tech support so hopefully they'll tell me how to freaking fix this.

Yeah there is really no excuse for all these bugs. I could see it coming from Madden because they'venever used Xbox Live, but Visual Conecpts has been there done that on the Xbox, so I don't get why they messed up so bad.

[quote name='Derwood43']I whole-heartedly agree with WildWop.

I would have added "drug out to the street" somewhere in there, though.[/quote]

Nah, the blood on the carpet can be left there as a reminder to potential cheese players everywhere. If you drag them to the street first, the street sweep will eventually clean off the stain.

As to the fourth-and-whatevers, I just pick Punt Defend most of the time. You don't get fantastic returns if they are actually kicking, but you get obscene amounts of pressure on the QB if they are running a play. God help them if they try to run in that case. Regardless, it still degrades the fun factor of playing a football game.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Yeah there is really no excuse for all these bugs. I could see it coming from Madden because they'venever used Xbox Live, but Visual Conecpts has been there done that on the Xbox, so I don't get why they messed up so bad.[/quote]

I'm willing to be that the servers just have too many damn people on. The game is cheap and good plus madden isn't out so this is the only "new" football in town. So I'm not shocked there are so many server problems. I'm sure in a few days they will have the kinks out and once madden comes out the strain on the servers is sure to level off. I can't wait to see what problems EA has when the madden servers get crushed by tons of live players.

datruth29,

The Browns are yours just let me know if you want them.

Also, everyone more teams could possibly free up after the Saturday deadline.

If anyone wants to play today send me a message I should be around.

Well, to speed things up the Browns can go to whoever wants them. Go sign up whenever you get the chance. I'll post Sunday to let you guys know if any teams free up on Sunday.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Well, to speed things up the Browns can go to whoever wants them. Go sign up whenever you get the chance. I'll post Sunday to let you guys know if any teams free up on Sunday.[/quote]

If teams do free up is there any way I can switch the Steelers for them, they definately weren't my first choice, but I really wanna be in a league.

I'll post on the league page after midnight on Saturday and let you guys in the league know which teams are free. I'll let you guys switch before I post the new available list. I can probably only do it on Sunday or so for the sake of time.

Also, I'm gonna post the league website again. This post is probably the last time I talk about the league on here until I talk about the leftover teams after Saturday.

http://leagues.espnvideogames.com/t/league.php?l=1796

is anyone else having a problem signing in with the ESPN Leagues web site? I've tried it like 30 times between today and yesterday and i know all the information is exactly the same as the info on my XB.

gah, you know what I'm sick of, this is a trend that's just started happening to me. I start a game, I start winning, or in one case, I made an interception on the first play of the game, the other guy trys to quit, I decline, so then he unplugs his internet connection making it a dropped game instead of a quit game. Sure I get the win either way, but in essence, he is quitting, yet it shows as a dropped game on his stats. It's happened the last 3 games I've played in a row. Bunch of punks.

also, I've noticed a lot of people running it out of the endzone on a deep kick off and getting to like the 5 yard line. I'm not sure if they know they should press y to down it and take it at the 20 or what's going on there.

Yeah, go ahead and sign up. The leage is League X and the password is cheapass.

After you sign up that means the following teams are available:

Browns
Jags
Colts
49ers

I freed these teams up because people on here that wanted them never signed up for the league. Anyone that wants them can sign up now. Within the next week or so I will try to get rid of more people that don't seem active in the league.

I know this seems like a lot of time before starting games, but I figure its best to make sure we have 32 committed players before we start.

hey Ultimate Matt, can I switch to the Colts? I am now the Cards, and since the Colts are available, I'd like to be them. SECONDCOM1NG is the gamer tag.

Edit- Nevermind Matt, I'm sticking with the Cards. Despite their overwhelming suckiness. Someone else can have the Colts.

Just signed up today...MSBphilin as the Eagels.

Wanted the Colts, but they were taken. I'll take any team I can get, though.

Just PM the details to me...I don't know how you suggest going about setting things up, but I check this site often.

SteveMcQ, Syko was supposed to be the Eagles. Syko do you care about being another team? If not SteveMcQ I might have to take you out and have you reregister as another team. You can see how he asked in a previous post.

bread's done
Back