Cheapest place to buy manga?

orphicblue

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Anyone care to recommend a cheap place to acquire some manga? Overstock.com seems to have some good prices but I was wondering if anyone might have seen somewhere else.

Thanks in advance, gang!

ordered 5 volumes of AYA, so far only got 4 volumes mailed to me.
Waiting for the 5th to be mailed to me, if it does come...

When I purchase manga, I mostly get it from Borders with the 30% off coupons. FYE.com is a decent place for manga. They usually have a certain percentage off of retail and offer free shipping. For FYE.com, I try and wait for a certain percent off + free shipping coupon to appear. Also, Borders sometimes runs a Buy 2 Get 1 Free on manga. Last summer, I believe, Borders had a B2G1 sale and a 10% off coupon that could be stacked on top of the B2G1. It was pretty sweet deal, each manga came out to be like $5.25 after tax. I don't care to much for domestic manga, I prefer to import the manga that I want.

[quote name='evophile']hm, if you click on a manga and it takes you to their store "homepage" instead of the shopping cart i'm assuming that means they're out of stock/don't really have it?

I was looking to get vol 2 and 3 of death note but thats what happens when I click it.
[/QUOTE]

Weird, i just tried it right now and they added to my cart just fine. On the compare list just click the first column where it says "alphacrazeshopping" should add the items to your cart.

I looked around on dollarmanga, kinda shitty selection, tried to pick up Onegai Teacher 1 & 2 and shipping was $7, which kills the deal for me.

[quote name='Bezerker']Weird, i just tried it right now and they added to my cart just fine. On the compare list just click the first column where it says "alphacrazeshopping" should add the items to your cart.

I looked around on dollarmanga, kinda shitty selection, tried to pick up Onegai Teacher 1 & 2 and shipping was $7, which kills the deal for me.[/QUOTE]

Hey, you're right! It works now. Thanks. Don't know what happened before. Crazy yahoo shopping. Although I noticed yahoo shopping has Death Note vol 3 listed as Hard Run vol 3 for some reason, but the ISBN number is still correct.

[quote name='evophile']Although I noticed yahoo shopping has Death Note vol 3 listed as Hard Run vol 3 for some reason[/QUOTE]
The subtitle of Volume 3 is "Hard Run." I guess someone made a mistake when listing it.

[quote name='pete5883']The subtitle of Volume 3 is "Hard Run." I guess someone made a mistake when listing it.[/QUOTE]

Ah, cool thanks...so I guess it's nothing to worry about then.

[quote name='megabadd']I dunno if people have mentioned this, but www.sasugabooks.com/ is great. Also, Kinokuniya Books in NY is an AWESOME place. I finished my sets of Full Metal Alchemist and Death Note there (In Japanese too).[/QUOTE]

The problem is most of us can't read Japanese.

I couldn't before as well, and when I started to learn, it was super expensive to buy manga in Japanese until I found those places. Just for those who want it, I guess.

Got my order from Alphacraze today. 4 business days for a big media mail package (which was free shipping), not bad at all. Once again another 17 books in pristine condition, god i love Alphacraze.

I've heard good things about Priest, kinda like a more modern Hellsing. Havent read it though, may want to look for some scanlations before buying?

So which mangas did you buy from Alphacraze Bezerker? I just odered three mangas from them but I got a email saying 1 was canceled

[quote name='Bezerker']Yea, Yahoo shopping is buggy as hell, the price thing, and the fact that not all their merchants show up.

I tried to email alphacraze for a list of their inventory, but they never responded. IT seems though that most of the manga im interested in, they sell. Basically, you just gotta do a search in the Books catagory, even if the price range says higher than $4.79, check it, a lot of the times, their 4.79 prices are in the section of "$6.00+").

Im gonna order another 15 books from them in a few days (after i see whether they get the new Fullmetal Alchemist this week or not) I already made a cart just to see how much the shipping would be, and it said $1.99, which still is pretty damn good for 15 books.[/QUOTE]

I found an easier way to find the books you are searching for. Go to www.barnesandnoble.com or www.amazon.com first. Search for the book title there. Find the volume you are after and get the ISBN number. Then, just search with the ISBN number on Yahoo shopping to find that volume. This makes it easier to find the books.

[quote name='Kain Vincent']I found an easier way to find the books you are searching for. Go to www.barnesandnoble.com or www.amazon.com first. Search for the book title there. Find the volume you are after and get the ISBN number. Then, just search with the ISBN number on Yahoo shopping to find that volume. This makes it easier to find the books.[/QUOTE]

I tried doing that for the Chobits series, and every ISBN takes me to Vol. 2, now that is buggy.

[quote name='monoxide101']I tried doing that for the Chobits series, and every ISBN takes me to Vol. 2, now that is buggy.[/QUOTE]

When the result came up from Yahoo, did you try clicking on the title? I think I had the same problem with Tsubasa Chronicles and such, but when I clicked on it, it showed the correct volume. As long as the ISBN number matches, it should be the right volume.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Alphacraze also carries Marvel and DC TPBs/HCs for really good prices. Im going to have to try them out too. :D[/QUOTE]

Damn! I didn't even think to look for those. Thanks for the heads up.

I placed an order this morning and they emailed me saying its shipped already. Nice and fast

[quote name='evophile']Damn! I didn't even think to look for those. Thanks for the heads up.

I placed an order this morning and they emailed me saying its shipped already. Nice and fast[/QUOTE]

Ok you convinced me. :D I ordered Ultimate Spiderman HC Vol 5 and Ys: The Last Man Vol 1. $24.10 shipped for both, pretty darn good. I was also going to get Ultimate Xmen Vol 3 HC, but for some reason the ISBN kept bringing up Vol 6 TPB.

[quote name='Jesu']So which mangas did you buy from Alphacraze Bezerker? I just odered three mangas from them but I got a email saying 1 was canceled[/QUOTE]

My order (in which ive already received 14/17 of the books). Unfortunately they do not have full sets of most of the series' i want, so i just figured ill get as many of certain series im trying to complete as i can:

DN angel 4, 5, 6, 10
Kenshin 11,16,18,19
Genshiken 4
I love Halloween 1
Naruto 5, 6, 7
Heat Guy J 1
Wolf's Rain 1 & 2
Psychic Academy 10.

Im about to put another order in because i just found out that Bleach 11 came out today and they have it in stock....

BTW thanks for that suggestion Kain Vincent, i tried it out and found some books i havent been able to find. Its kinda wierd, they're listed as different volume #'s, but the picture is right. I guess as long as the ISBN# is the same it shouldnt matter, right?

[quote name='Bezerker']My order (in which ive already received 14/17 of the books). Unfortunately they do not have full sets of most of the series' i want, so i just figured ill get as many of certain series im trying to complete as i can:

DN angel 4, 5, 6, 10
Kenshin 11,16,18,19
Genshiken 4
I love Halloween 1
Naruto 5, 6, 7
Heat Guy J 1
Wolf's Rain 1 & 2
Psychic Academy 10.

Im about to put another order in because i just found out that Bleach 11 came out today and they have it in stock....

BTW thanks for that suggestion Kain Vincent, i tried it out and found some books i havent been able to find. Its kinda wierd, they're listed as different volume #'s, but the picture is right. I guess as long as the ISBN# is the same it shouldnt matter, right?
[/QUOTE]

I believe that's right. I placed an order for some manga from alphacraze. Using the above method, you can also confirm the volume of the book with the ISBN, just do my method in reverse.

Thanks again for posting about that mechant and I'm glad to be of service.

Yea, i wish i had thought about using the ISBN number before. I found 29 books that i thought they didnt have (as they didnt have the title of the manga in the name of the product), looks like i got another big order to do, might as well soak up that free shipping offer.

It seems to be having some trouble with ISBN's with "X" at the end. I tried 159532836X (Blame! Volume 3) and it comes up with ISBN 1595328343 Blame Volume 1. Also i tried 159116320X (Kenshin Volume 5) and it comes back with 1421500647 Kenshin Volume 20... Weird, guess ill have to either wait, or get those two books in store/somewhere else online.

[quote name='Bezerker']Yea, i wish i had thought about using the ISBN number before. I found 29 books that i thought they didnt have (as they didnt have the title of the manga in the name of the product), looks like i got another big order to do, might as well soak up that free shipping offer.

It seems to be having some trouble with ISBN's with "X" at the end. I tried 159532836X (Blame! Volume 3) and it comes up with ISBN 1595328343 Blame Volume 1. Also i tried 159116320X (Kenshin Volume 5) and it comes back with 1421500647 Kenshin Volume 20... Weird, guess ill have to either wait, or get those two books in store/somewhere else online.[/QUOTE]

The ISBN for X-men Vol 3 has an X in it, so I guess thats why I was having trouble finding it.

I just ordered these from Alpharaze (who has a website, by the way.)

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Volume 9

Fullmetal Alchmiest
Volume 4

Ruroni Kenshin
07: In the 11th Year of Meiji, May 14th
09: Arrival in Kyoto
11: Overture to Destruction
13: Beautiful Night
14: The Time Is Now
15: The Great Man vs. the Giant
16: Providence
17: The Age Decides the Man
18: Do You Still Bear the Scar?
19: Shades of Reality
20: Shades of Reality

I also enjoy Cowboy Bebop, Flame of Recca, and Dragon Ball (the first series). Can anyone suggest anything similiar?

[quote name='WebScud']I just ordered these from Alpharaze (who has a website, by the way.)[/QUOTE]

Can you order from that website?

[quote name='Jesu']Can you order from that website?[/QUOTE]

No you cant, I also got my 3rd order from them, they rock so much. This has saved me a TON of money, i'll never look at Borders the same again..

Looking through their customer reviews, they seem to have a lot of problems. I may give them a shot though, to fill holes in my Eyeshield and Rurouni Kenshin collections before a TRSI Viz sale.

[quote name='pete5883']Looking through their customer reviews, they seem to have a lot of problems. I may give them a shot though, to fill holes in my Eyeshield and Rurouni Kenshin collections before a TRSI Viz sale.[/QUOTE]

Guess it just depends on where you live. I live in Tampa and have never had any problems.

[quote name='Bezerker']Guess it just depends on where you live. I live in Tampa and have never had any problems.[/QUOTE]

Ditto for me, I live in Miami and have had no probs, they are based out of Georgia and they are quick on the ball everytime I order. I just slapped down another order on Fruits Basket 8 thru 12, nana 2 and Genshiken 4. I cant wait.

Thanks for the link to the yahoo shopping! I just placed an order with them, hope it arrives safely. :) The free shipping really makes the deals worth it as shipping usually kills good deals on manga (Since I can just go to the bookstore and get them for around $7..)

As for more places to buy manga.. Never used them but.. http://textbookx.com/ I think has had some manga if I remember. I think they're used, not sure. I also remember at one point if you spent like $40 or $50 you'd get free shipping. Haven't browsed there in a long while though.

Damn, ordered on Friday morning and got my package already from Alphacraze. Very impressive considering its media mail and the weekend too.

I just placed an order from Alphacraze via yahoo shopping. It seems like we are giving them a little more business. Anyway I hope my order goes smoothly.

P.S. I

[quote name='Bezerker']i looked, alphacraze has some cheap prices on artbooks too, $19.99 ones were only $10.99[/QUOTE]

Damn it Bezerker! My wallet just kicked my ass for the last beating it took, now I gotta go back and tell it to open up and take it like a champ again... It's gonna kill me this time.. I know it.. Art Books... cheap prices... Thank God for Tax time!

Since I couldn't find the Chobits books on Yahoo (searching w/ the ISBN took me to the wrong book with the wrong ISBN), I ordered them from a seller on Alibris.com. A few sellers have cheap manga on there, although some of it's used. My order totaled $27.19 for 5 books - 3 used, 2 new. Seller was bookmaven.

I only received 1 out of 3 mangas from my first order at alphacraze and now I've received 4 out of 6 from my second order. I'm, not sure if something may have gone wrong with the order but I guess I'll wait one more week.

I got the 5 mangas I ordered. They are all in good condition too. Its weird how one of them was mailed seperately. Anyway I will be ordering from alphacraze from now on.

My last order i received 14/17 of the books in one box, and the other 3 came 3 days after (though they were all marked as shipped on same day). I sent an email asking them why sometimes they'd be in multiple mailers/shipments, apparently they have 4 warehouses that they ship from. But yea, as long as you get the emails saying your item will ship, it will come in.

Ive recently placed an order for another 19 books, unfortunately 3 days after, only 17 of these ive gotten the "shipped" emails for, no Dragonball Z 1 & 2 for me i guess >

[quote name='Bezerker']My last order i received 14/17 of the books in one box, and the other 3 came 3 days after (though they were all marked as shipped on same day). I sent an email asking them why sometimes they'd be in multiple mailers/shipments, apparently they have 4 warehouses that they ship from. But yea, as long as you get the emails saying your item will ship, it will come in.

Ive recently placed an order for another 19 books, unfortunately 3 days after, only 17 of these ive gotten the "shipped" emails for, no Dragonball Z 1 & 2 for me i guess >

I feel like I should gloat about this.

Mardens, a store chain in New England, recently moved to an old Walmart building where I live. I went there the other day, and they had specials on thousands of books they bought wholesale from dying businesses. All of the books were at least 66% off the lowest stickered price.

I looked through ALL of them and found these:

Gundam Seed vol 1/2
Gundam: Ecole du Ciel vol 1
Get Backers vol 1/3/4/5/8/9/11
Rayearth vol 1
Trigun hardcover vol 1/2
Trigun: The $60,000,000,000 Man
War on Flesh vol 1
Remote vol 8
Dragon Head vol 1 (awesome manga!)

These are just the ones I bought, and the total came to $28.74. Considering I would've paid over $200 for them in the store, I think I made out rather well. They were all in mint condition (except the Trigun animanga which was bent lightly), and at least four of them came out since January.

Good deals Blade. I wish I didn't live in Hicksville. If it wasn't for Waldenbooks being in the mall I'd have a 30 mile drive to the nearest place with any manga at all.

Actually it's sort of the same here, I live in a city with about 7,000 people, and all we have for manga is a Mr. Paperback.

I always laugh when I see the Smallville sign that says "Population: 20,001". If that's small, I wonder what desolate outpost I live in. :lol:

Not a bad deal at all. Not many places here have sales on manga, only thing ive ever found was a Yu-Gi-Oh the movie Ani-manga at Target for $3 (it came with a card that sold for $16, so i bought it).

bread's done
Back