Check your email. All Killer Instinct characters unlocked for free. XBOX ONE

vwbeetlvr

CAGiversary!
You're a fan of us and we're a fan of you.
We want to show you our appreciation, so we're giving you:

KILLER INSTINCT

We've unlocked all characters so you can hit the ground running.

Watch your inbox on November 22 for instructions on how to claim your free gift.

Don't worry, we'll remind you.

We wouldn't be here without you,
and we know you'll do amazing
things on Xbox One.
Thank you from Xbox Live.
Jump ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, every time a company does anything remotely cool like this 99% of the people are responding they didn't get anything. I'd hate to go to Vegas with a lot of you, all you'd do is bitch and moan about how long you've been putting money into one slot machine and how someone less deserving than you won on a different machine. They seemed to have narrowed the pool down by years/gamer score and then picked randomly. It would have been awesome to win an Xbox One but I'm not mad that other people did.

I got the email saying i'd get the characters for free. Wonder if game activity is a factor. I believe I'm at 8 or 9 years on live with 80000+ gamerscore. Played a ton of fighting games.

I didn't get an email, a little upset, but it's nothing special.  I didn't plan on playing KI anyways.

6 year tenure and 70k+ GS 

Wow at those with over 300k Gamerscore......didn't think that is even possible:) I've got just over 14k, so naturally Microsoft wouldn't give me anything. If I won a console I would just sell it anyway.....good job Microsoft for filtering out people like me:) 

didn't get an email. :/

probably wont be getting an xbone til next year some time anyways.

328,000 gamerscore and had my system since launch so that's not a factor.

Got the email I have 120K gamerscore and have had my account for 5 years. Im not getting an Xbox One until like a year or two after launch so unless I can redeem it on xbox.com I guess ill be selling or trading my code.

I'm an Xbox Ambassador, a member of the Enforcement team, have a 6 year tenure and over 80k gamescore.
No email.
Ya that's kinda odd right there. Kinda confused on this one. This does feel like one of those random Best Buy reward certs threads. Just random stuff.

Was there a thread in the Forza 5 Audi, did everyone get that?

10 year tenure, never dropped to silver for even 1 day, 55k gamerscore, own over 210 Xbox 360 games and 171 original Xbox games (majority were bought new), was a member of the Microsoft Retail Loyalty site for 5 years when I worked at Game Crazy before it's unfortunate bankruptcy, have owned 2 xbox 360 consoles both of which red ringed twice each and one of which finally bit the dust recently, ambassador, rewards member, countless XBLA purchases. No email.

Yea it sucks, but as others have said I am def not mad people got emails. I too just find it odd at how random it is. that people who have had it for 5 years yet have 50k more gamerscore than me get at least KI, but people who've had XBL almost since its incarnation get nothing. You would think longevity of XBL membership goes before gamerscore. But then again, gamerscore could be perceived as more money spent on games despite it also could simply mean you borrow a lot of games or rent a lot of games as well as buy used games often. Meh whatever. I was gettin an Xbox One either way thanks to DR 3. Still sucks nonetheless.

Xbox Live Gold since Halo 2 launch, 8+ years never dropping to silver.  Gamerscore is 235,000+.  I'm on my 3rd Xbox 360 that I've bought (original Premium with chrome tray, black elite, and the Gears of War LE console) this doesn't count the 6-8 times I had to send in my original and elite in for repairs (Gears system has worked fine for over 2 years now)

No Email.  Seriously bummed now.

Eh, Killer Instinct is an average game at best anyways. I played it at an XB1 event and didn't see anything special about it.
It's made by the developers behind Front Mission Evolved, Battleship: the Game, Green Lantern, and Silent Hill: Downpour. Hopefully it was better than those games.

It's made by the developers behind Front Mission Evolved, Battleship: the Game, Green Lantern, and Silent Hill: Downpour. Hopefully it was better than those games.
And they're working on Strider right now. I Like to believe they hopefully know what they're doing, but Capcom's record of outsourcing their IP's to other countries has been...questionable at best.

And they're working on Strider right now. I Like to believe they hopefully know what they're doing, but Capcom's record of outsourcing their IP's to other countries has been...questionable at best.
Bionic_Commando.jpg
cover.jpg

'Nuff said.

You have poor taste, my friend.

I didn't get the eMail, either. 5 year tenure, 40k gamerscore.
I obviously disagree. Have you played it? Nothing about it is unique or innovative, don't believe the hype. The art style looks nice, but that's really it for the positives.

You know I got to thinking. The past month Ive been on live it asks me to verify my info and provide another means of contacting me (email, phone #, etc.) I always ignore it and have not updated my info. Does anyone know what thats all about?

'Nuff said.
I Actually enjoyed Bionic Commando. It wasn't a perfect game (wtf story? wtf ending? wtf characters? wife arm?! WIFE ARM?!?!), but I enjoyed the grappling mechanics and swing mechanic was fun once you realized it wasn't going to play like Spider-man. Also the piano done theme was fantastic, but yeah I don't think that game deserved as much hate as it did.

I obviously disagree. Have you played it? Nothing about it is unique or innovative, don't believe the hype. The art style looks nice, but that's really it for the positives.
How is nothing about it unique? The entire combo system is entirely unique to the KI franchise. The game has a diverse cast with a solid engine that stays true to the KI formula while introducing a ton of new elements that add depth while retaining accessibility. Also, the game easily has the most fleshed out training/practice modes.

A game doesn't have to reinvent a genre to be good... in fact, games that do that come maybe once or twice in a generation, these days. You probably don't know much about fighters and lack the understanding to truly appreciate them... but this new KI is shaping up to be an excellent title. You say that the art style is the only positive... that's so wrong that it's offensive.

9yrs, 105k Gamerscore
Got the email for Killer Instinct. Sweet!

Love M$ Last Year they gave me E3 2012 Package that included the media briefing and 3-Day pass.

11 years on Live, since the launch with original Xbox. Only 38k gamerscore though as I don't have a lot of time to play. Didn't get either email, which I didn't expect to since I didn't get a free 360 at 10 yrs either. They must have certain criteria and then randomly selected from that pool ...
This is exactly what seems to be the case.

Wow something free that should have been free anyways. Thank you for backtracking on the plan to rip off KI fans!
Why should it have been free? Why should a newly developed game be free? I seriously don't understand this.

Yeah, I have no problem with those who got the email and I don't want to be that guy either. It's awesome for the lucky people - some of which won't even purchase an Xbox One at launch anyway.

It is quite disturbing though that they are basing this on tenure, score, and other factors, yet people who clearly fit the bill were skipped. Why not just call it random? I have the Xbox One pre-ordered and would love to score a free complete copy of Killer Instinct. I think the game is overpriced so I won't purchase it, but I'd love to be rewarded for my loyalty with a game I'd like to play. The Xbox One giveaway doesn't bother me one bit though. It's the free game. Give it to all loyal users if you're going to do it at all.
How is $20 for 8 characters overpriced? I mean, Call of Duty charges you $15 for 5 maps, Mortal Kombat charges you $5 for 1 character... what about this is overpriced?

They are avoiding the infamous Capcom scenario since they are doing "seasons" of the game. I like this model better, so long as you can still use the characters you purchased from one season to the next.
Of course you can.

---

To those that did win, I played Killer Instinct at Evo this year and it is freakin great! You guys will be stoked when you get it.

I got the free KI email.  I've had XBL since it was in beta.  So, that's like 11 years.  I also have 134,000 gamerscore.

Can the OP change the title to reflect the free console?  Tried to make a separate thread but it seems some mod didn't want it.  Seriously, I actually skipped over the email last night and if I didn't have an extra few minutes before work today I would have thrown away $500.

Can the OP change the title to reflect the free console? Tried to make a separate thread but it seems some mod didn't want it. Seriously, I actually skipped over the email last night and if I didn't have an extra few minutes before work today I would have thrown away $500.

You got an Xbox? fuck you. But seriously, good for you. >:[

I don't believe gamerscore should be the reason for a free game. I've been with xbl since 02 but my gamerscore isn't high due to playing every system including handhelds

Between this and, arguably, the Walmart TV deals I am rather depressed, haha.  I swear I miss out on all of this stuff.  It would make sense that it's random as I am guessing the amount of people such as myself (5+ years, over 75k gamerscore) would threaten MS' finances if consoles and/or games were given to all of us.

Guys one thing u may want to check is past email accounts linked to your Xbox acct. I switched and updated to a @live acct from google acct over a year ago. I didn't even think to check the google acct but sure enough under the promotion tab I got the email. My Xbox acct hasn't used that for at least 9 months now

This is MS we're talking about, why does everyone keep listing tenure and GS, then concluding it must be random? They want people on XBOne who will spend money, and get others to spend money.

People should be listing how much money they've spent on live, or the amount per time ratio. How many hours they play a day. How many friends they play with regularly. How long they use the apps, how many movies/songs/etc they've purchased.

Of course no one knows this exactly. But guess what? MS does.

For the record I didn't get anything. Ive been on live a long time and have a decent GS, but I don't really spend that much on there.

I've bought thousands of dollars worth in xbox content and didn't recieve any mail, so I guess that theory is out the window.

I've bought thousands of dollars worth in xbox content and didn't recieve any mail, so I guess that theory is out the window.
Same. I have over 200 xbla games alone and that doesn't even begin to scratch all of the DLC or GoD I have and I didn't get the email either.

Yeah, if money spent on Live Marketplace was the key factor, I feel like I probably would have got the console. :lol: Could definitely have been one criterion among the others though.

Please try not to be so short sighted. I was not implying amount spent is the only factor.

All I'm saying is that this selection is almost definitely not 'random' and not based only on tenure and GS. MS has a LOT of data on every user, so we will never know exactly how these people were chosen.

Congratulations to people who got stuff.

I don't know. I have to of spent over a grand in downloadable content alone, not including the hundreds of game's I've played on the console. 

I had to guess, I'd think it would be based on influence (ie. how many friends you have on your friends list/ how often you play with your friends on your friends list). They want to sell more consoles and the online community is so big now, all it might take to sell more consoles is someone going "Hey man, I'm getting the Xbox One so you should too. That way, we can continue to play CoD together". I mean, from a marketing perspective, that'd make a lot of sense. 

I know my core friends and I have all been discussing which console we want to get it. While it's just between the 6-7 of us, we have all decided that we're going to get the same console. We just haven't decided on which one. 

You know I got to thinking. The past month Ive been on live it asks me to verify my info and provide another means of contacting me (email, phone #, etc.) I always ignore it and have not updated my info. Does anyone know what thats all about?
Security reasons. There's people that forget the password to their contact email or don't remember the answer to a security question, etc. They made the email 6+ years ago and never update it so then it screws them over. Microsoft is trying to get everyone to keep their contact info current in case something happens to your account, otherwise they can't help you.

bread's done
Back