Chris Benoit kills wife, 7 year old son and then self.

I can't fault the WWE for running a tribute show to Benoit. All of the facts weren't in (assuming the WWE wasn't privy to all the info the police had which is likely) and they just couldn't proceed with their show as planned. I feel incredible pity for Daniel and Nancy as victims. I just can't bring myself to hate Benoit. It takes an intense personal hell to do what he did. I'm not a religious person by any means, but I can only hope that where ever they all are now, they're home.

I sincerely hope that it wasn't steroids or pain killers that caused this, but I doubt that's going to be the case. The WWE needs to cut their horrendous road schedule and make their business into something that doesn't chew up people and spit them out like it does now. That may be the only silver lining to a truly terrible tragedy.

[quote name='Roufuss']Ha, WWE playing down steroids, good show.[/QUOTE]

Of course they are. They just want us all to "move along move along like I know you do" about the whole issue. But alas Pandora's Box is now really open on this rather if the WWE wants us to ignore it or not.

I still don't get how people are chastising WWE for doing the tribute show. They were honestly supposed to ignore the death, just in case Benoit was the killer? Or they should acknowledge the death, but try not to act sad about it? How would you suggest they should have filled three hours of airtime?

This was the most dramatic case of throwing out kayfabe in the history of WWE TV. Even when Owen died, they were sort of protecting Undertaker and Kane's gimmicks (IIRC, they were absent from the 10-bell salute and they had no video interviews). This time, in the midst of a MAJOR angle they did the right thing and said "okay, THAT was fake, THIS is real." If people are getting on their case over Monday night then there's really no way WWE can win here!

I have no fault with the WWE for doing the tribute show. They didn't have the information that is known now. Had they of had it I doubt they would of done a full three hour tribute to someone who is now known as a murderer of his wife and child.

It will be interesting to see how the WWE goes forward on both ECW and Smackdown this week.

Well if I deserve to burn in hell for saying rest in peace before they announced what became of all this, fuck you. I respected Benoit as a wrestler and a person before learning of what happened. Benoit will always be a gifted wrestler but obviously he is a horrible person for what he did. Once more evidence comes out we'll draw even more conclusions but now we all know the bottom line is Benoit is a murderer. Chavo is gonna be fucked to if he didn't act on Benoit's text msgs. That's fucked up to.

[quote name='Scorch']Start a new wrestling thread ZL.. let's just leave this thread open for talk about Benoit, but continue discussion on normal issues in another thread.[/quote]

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking of doing. PM Sent.

That press release by the WWE is downright shameful. What a disgrace. To be concerned about their image -- in such an overt way -- one day after these events took place is a joke.

What's more, it really shows how defensive they are. Why? Because they know where the truth lies. They are nervous. Very nervous.

[quote name='Demolition Man']I have no fault with the WWE for doing the tribute show. They didn't have the information that is known now. Had they of had it I doubt they would of done a full three hour tribute to someone who is now known as a murderer of his wife and child.[/QUOTE]Exactly. People were speculating, theories were being thrown around I'm sure, but you can't expect a cautious "no comment" when Raw hits the air. Of course they kicked off with a tribute at 8PM, otherwise they would be heartless bastards and OMG how come WWE can do a fake McMahon tribute but they ignore Benoit, zomg, zomg.

[quote name='Roufuss']Ha, WWE playing down steroids, good show.[/quote]

They're in the right here, this looks more like the work of a psychopath, than temporary roid-rage induced insanity.

The media's job is to play up the dreaded "S word", while WWE's job is to downplay it.

I'll save final judgment on that issue for the toxicology reports though.

[quote name='sgs89']That press release by the WWE is downright shameful. What a disgrace. To be concerned about their image -- in such an overt way -- one day after these events took place is a joke.[/QUOTE]See, either it's this, or it's OMG how come they cancel Raw to honor a murderer. They can't win!!!! Not picking on you sgs89, I guess I'm just picking on the Internet.

1182890474348cu1.jpg

[quote name='BustaUppa']See, either it's this, or it's OMG how come they cancel Raw to honor a murderer. They can't win!!!! Not picking on you sgs89, I guess I'm just picking on the Internet.[/QUOTE]
No. Not really, that could have just released a statement sharing their condolences for Nancy and Daniel.

Instead, they just want to save face.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2917133

In an interview with ESPN.com on Tuesday, Ballard indicated that the boy had needle marks in his arms. The district attorney said he believed that the boy had been given growth hormones for some time because the family considered him undersized.

That was only one of the strange facts that Ballard revealed. He said that two text messages of note caused authorities to investigate the house. In one, Benoit told somebody he knew that his wife and son were sick.

"Of course, they were dead," Ballard told ESPN.com.

In a second message to a neighbor, Benoit said that the door of the house was open and the pets were outside.

"And our assumption is that that was an effort to try and get somebody to come find the bodies after the suicide," Ballard said. "That is our assumption."

[quote name='BustaUppa']See, either it's this, or it's OMG how come they cancel Raw to honor a murderer. They can't win!!!! Not picking on you sgs89, I guess I'm just picking on the Internet.[/QUOTE]

Not true. I don't have a problem with the tribute show, particularly where they did not know of the murder/suicide angle.

The press release is unrelated to that -- they chose to issue a press release where, rather than taking a "we are terribly shocked and saddened to learn" approach and leave it at that, they say "don't blame us -- it wasn't 'roids."

Totally classless. Then again, this is Vinny Mac and the WWE we are talking about!

I wont even begin to hope he burns in hell because Ill never know or understand what his mind set was and what he went through.

I wouldnt wish any of what happened to him or his family on anyone and the fact that I couldnt hate a loved family member if they had done it wont let me crucify him for what he did.

Ill end my interest in this thread with saying that all 3 deaths were a shame.

[quote name='Psykoboy2']From WWE.com
WWE® Shocked At Latest Developments In Benoit Tragedy, Concerned By Sensationalistic Reporting
Written: June 26, 2007

STAMFORD, Conn., June 26, 2007 – World Wrestling Entertainment is stunned and saddened by the details released by local authorities concerning the double homicide-suicide involving Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and his son, Daniel.

However, WWE is concerned with the sensationalistic reporting and speculation being undertaken by some members of the media following the press conference held by the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department and the District Attorney. During the press conference, the investigating authorities made the following points, all of which run contrary to the media speculation that "roid rage" was a factor in the senseless murders and suicide:

1. The authorities stated that all drugs found in the house were believed to be legal prescriptions.

2. Steroids were not, and could not, be related to the cause of death (asphyxiation). Authorities had no factual basis to speculate as to Benoit’s state of mind, and rightly did not do so.

3. Toxicology tests have not even been completed, so there is no current evidence that Benoit even had steroids or any other substance in his body. In that regard, on the last test done on Benoit by WWE's independently administered drug testing program, done on April 10, 2007, Benoit tested negative.

4. The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not rage. The wife's feet and hands were bound and she was asphyxiated, not beaten to death. By the account of the authorities, there were substantial periods of time between the death of the wife and the death of the son, again suggesting deliberate thought, not rage. The presence of a Bible by each is also not an act of rage.

5. WWE strongly suggests that it is entirely wrong for speculators to suggest that steroids had anything to do with these senseless acts, especially when the authorities plainly stated there is no evidence that Benoit had steroids in his body, pending the toxicological reports, and that they had no evidence at this time as to the motive for these acts.

WWE is continuing to monitor the ongoing investigation being conducted by local authorities.[/QUOTE]

translation us, us, us, we don't use steroids, steroids steroids.

[quote name='Sporadic']What?

Seriously are you reading any of my post or just flipping out because a horrible event occurred?
He's dead, whether it's by the state's hands or his own, the end result is all the same.
The guy isn't my hero, I never said suicide was perfectly acceptable.[/QUOTE]

I'm saying the killing yourself isn't punishment for your crimes, you think it is for some reason. You said sitting in a jail cell won't do anything to him. You apparently don't know about the mental breakdown that jail is. You don't understand what the point of jail is IMO. If you think killing yourself is the same, and acceptable for committing murder of a child, and women. If he didn't axe himself. He would set in a cell everyday having to relive what he did. Its an easy way out to kill yourself. In no way has he been punished, nor will he ever be.

[quote name='RawisJericho']http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2917133[/QUOTE]

Benoit just continues to look more, and more like a monster.

When the news of his passing first happened, and I thought about it for awhile, I was like "Damn, now Benoit is gonna join Eddie in the legends section of SvR 2008".

Now with all the facts coming out I doubt we'll ever see Benoit in another Smackdown game, ever.

[quote name='Roufuss']When the news of his passing first happened, and I thought about it for awhile, I was like "Damn, now Benoit is gonna join Eddie in the legends section of SvR 2008".

Now with all the facts coming out I doubt we'll ever see Benoit in another Smackdown game, ever.[/quote]

I would highly doubt it, as they took mention of him out of the Wrestlemania XX dvd on WWEshop, and for a while, IDK if it's like that now, but his profile is dead, none of the links work/ed.

[quote name='punqsux']i totaly appreciate slidecages form of comic relief.

he's saying "i bet the sun comes up tomorrow" and you guys are all like "no shit the weatherman said it would!"

maybe being away from here for a while helps me appreciate him more...[/QUOTE]

Holy crap, where the hell have you been?:)

I've run the entire thing in head over & over since last night and came to a conclusion. Benoit more than likely did what was said, but we don't have absolute confirmation and again, we might never get it, so I've decided to drop the issue altogether.

Benoit was easily one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, and was a dominate part of my tweens / teens. I'm not going to let this incident taint his legacy. The only complete truth that we know for certain is that three people are gone now and that Pro Wrestling lost its single greatest Wrestler.

Damn...this guy was the absolute BOMB.

But I can't help but wonder why everyone is so shocked at this, I mean duh! this WAS the Rabid Wolverine. His wife probably told him to put away the dishes after Friday night dinner and he did the roid rage flip out.

Also, with so little info being released by the police, why did they have to specifically emphasize that guns WEREN'T used in the killings, but that they would reveal the official cause of death as soon as the autopsies confirmed it?

I'm guessing it was death by crippler crossface, or crossface crippler, or whatever the hell that chokehold was called.

Damn...I was right...no surprise there, though! All these wrestlers end up getting destroyed by their career/industry.

Investigators found prescription anabolic steroids in the house and want to know whether the muscle man nicknamed "The Canadian Crippler" was unhinged by the bodybuilding drugs, which can cause paranoia, depression and explosive outbursts known as "roid rage."

[quote name='karkyco']\

I'm guessing it was death by crippler crossface, or crossface crippler, or whatever the hell that chokehold was called.[/quote]

lol

If he was injecting his kid with steroids....... good lord. This story just gets more horrible and horrible every few minutes.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Holy crap, where the hell have you been?:)

I've run the entire thing in head over & over since last night and came to a conclusion. Benoit more than likely did what was said, but we don't have absolute confirmation and again, we might never get it, so I've decided to drop the issue altogether.

Benoit was easily one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, and was a dominate part of my tweens / teens. I'm not going to let this incident taint his legacy. The only complete truth that we know for certain is that three people are gone now and that Pro Wrestling lost its single greatest Wrestler.[/quote]

I was also a huge fan of Benoit and was fortunate enough to get a chance to talk to him for about 10-15 minutes. However, I don't see how any person in his right mind could think his actions couldn't tarnish his legacy.

Sure, Benoit will always be one of the best wrestlers of all time, just like OJ Simpson is still considered one of the great running backs of all time. However, everyone knows he's a killer and that's all people associate him with now.

I think that will be the same with Benoit, as it should be. He murdered his family in cold blood. Smothered a small child who couldn't do anything to defend himself.

I'm sorry, but he deserves whatever punishment comes to him in the afterlife.

All I can really think about after all the details have unfolded is how unfortunate this has turned out.

This is not the same as Eddie or Pillman. Benoit murdered two people then took his own life. It's truly a shame, but because of his actions, I don't think Benoit deserves to be mentioned alongside the greats of pro wrestling anymore.

You guys are blowing my mind with how much shit you'll look past.

Dude, could have fucked your father and killed your pet hampster and you'd still be all "well, that's true, he did rape my biological father, but damn! Did you see the pizower bomb?!?"

[quote name='zewone']You guys are blowing my mind with how much shit you'll look past.

Dude, could have fucked your father and killed your pet hampster and you'd still be all "well, that's true, he did rape my biological father, but damn! Did you see the pizower bomb?!?"[/quote]

First post all day to make me laugh out loud. That last line killed me.
Oops, shouldn't say that word.

[quote name='zewone']You guys are blowing my mind with how much shit you'll look past.

Dude, could have fucked your father and killed your pet hampster and you'd still be all "well, that's true, he did rape my biological father, but damn! Did you see the pizower bomb?!?"[/QUOTE]

It's not like he woke up one day after being perfectly healthy and decided "hey, let me murder my family". Maybe it's just me but I can spare some sympathy to the man for having been driven to that point and clearly not well for a long long time even if it pales in comparison to what his child and wife deserve.

Then again, his powerbomb was pretty tizight.

Holy shit. I must have been living under a rock lately (read: work) because this is the first I've heard of this horrible incident.

My thoughts: no matter how impressive Benoit was in the ring and how nice of a guy he may have seemed outside the ring, that fucker deserves to burn in hell. In my opinion the true tragedy isn't in his suicide at all, it's that he killed his wife and child as well.

[quote name='SubiDoobieDoo']Is someone going through and editing posts? Mine just disappeared...[/quote]

That'd probably be because what you said has been said about 85 times already.

he had a good powerbomb, it wasnt a dramtic over the top powerbomb like alot of bigger wrestlers used, he would just pick you up to about shoulder level and then it looked like he'd literally try to drive people through the mat, he would always hit that thing so hard, way harder than the big guys would.

Well, you never know...the family could have practiced moves together, and he just got out of control and pulled one crossface crippler too many on the wife. Maybe he got into a rabid wolverine bloodlust and then poof! her neck just snapped.

And steroids and growth hormone for the kid, well, perhaps he was just training the boy, Spartan style. You know, like the beginning of 300 where they kick the scrappy lil tike out to fend for himself with nothing but a diaper on and a stick. So he was juicing him up and then training him but BAM another potent crossface crippling and it was game over. Plus, no ref in the house so even though the wife and son were tapping out, he didn't stop until their heads popped off. You've seen how that guy got when he "locks in" his face crippling cross crusher - he would flip out and even if other dudes were kicking his head he wouldn't let go.

Maybe he thought the boy was ready to challenge him for the belt and obviously he wasn't yet. The report said the family was juicing him up with growth hormone and whatnot cuz he was considered "scrawny" or "small".

Perhaps he just had a roid induced flashback to his "mighty battles" in the ring and mistook his wife for the Undertaker and his son for that little leprechaun midget that's in WWE now.

[quote name='karkyco']Well, you never know...the family could have practiced moves together, and he just got out of control and pulled one crossface crippler too many on the wife. Maybe he got into a rabid wolverine bloodlust and then poof! her neck just snapped.

And steroids and growth hormone for the kid, well, perhaps he was just training the boy, Spartan style. You know, like the beginning of 300 where they kick the scrappy lil tike out to fend for himself with nothing but a diaper on and a stick. So he was juicing him up and then training him but BAM another potent crossface crippling and it was game over. Plus, no ref in the house so even though the wife and son were tapping out, he didn't stop until their heads popped off. You've seen how that guy got when he "locks in" his face crippling cross crusher - he would flip out and even if other dudes were kicking his head he wouldn't let go.

Maybe he thought the boy was ready to challenge him for the belt and obviously he wasn't yet. The report said the family was juicing him up with growth hormone and whatnot cuz he was considered "scrawny" or "small".

Perhaps he just had a roid induced flashback to his "mighty battles" in the ring and mistook his wife for the Undertaker and his son for that little leprechaun midget that's in WWE now.[/QUOTE]

It's so crazy that it just might work....

[quote name='SATAN']He is home now.[/quote]

damn Satan, you better watch out! I'm surprised he hasn't tried to put you in the crossface crippler yet and submit control of hell to him!!! Maybe that was his plan all along - to get into hell to take it over and rule it as only a rabid Wolverine would.

Dude, could have fucked your father and killed your pet hampster and you'd still be all "well, that's true, he did rape my biological father, but damn! Did you see the pizower bomb?!?"[/QUOTE]

QFT

A lot of these posts are reminding me just what good humor is. I mean, what is funner that a woman being strangled and a 7 year old kid being suffocated. Throw in some names of wrestling moves, and you have comedic gold.

I will say this about Benoit:

(1) I never liked him.

(2) The Crippler Crossface was one of the lamest finishing moves.

(3) The whole Guerrero/Benoit/Malenko/etc. posse was totally lame.

(4) He had no charisma.

(5) He couldn't work the mic.

(6) His gap tooth was a cliche wrestling didn't need.

So how many Pro Wrestlers have had their lives cut short by the lifestyle? How many have had their lives destroyed by that whole industry and specifically its darker side, which the WWE totally embodies and embrace?

(?) = I heard they've died

Owen Hart
Mr. Perfect
Earthquake (I'm pretty sure he's dead...but if so that was probably more his weight than steroids...though I heard he was a druggy, and the physical toll of the gig doesn't help either)
Tugboat (same as Earthquake)
Lex Lugor (?)
Jake the Snake
Ultimate Warrior
Eddie Guerrero
Chris Benoit
A ton more I can't remember
Practically ALL the big names of the 80's, and virtually everyone before then.

Is that one really good tag team brother still alive? Scott Steiner I think it was? He went from being like 200 pounds to a RAGING huge roid rager. That dude's days are definitely numbered by the lifestyle, if he's still alive.

The Giant (the second one, from the late 90's) is also in very poor health, apparently. No surprise, given his size.

So many of these guys dying WAY prematurely, in their 40's and 50's or even earlier. Drug abuse, not just steriods, runs RAMPANT in the pro wrestler community. Severe psychological disorders. This group is worse than pro footballers.

[quote name='karkyco']So how many Pro Wrestlers have had their lives cut short by the lifestyle? How many have had their lives destroyed by that whole industry and specifically its darker side, which the WWE totally embodies and embrace?

Owen Hart
Mr. Perfect
Earthquake (I'm pretty sure he's dead...but if so that was probably more his weight than steroids...though I heard he was a druggy, and the physical toll of the gig doesn't help either)
Lex Lugor (?)
Jake the Snake
Ultimate Warrior
Eddie Guerrero
Chris Benoit

Is that one really good tag team brother still alive? Scott Steiner I think it was? He went from being like 200 pounds to a RAGING huge roid rager. That dude's days are definitely numbered by the lifestyle, if he's still alive.

The Giant (the second one, from the late 90's) is also in very poor health, apparently. No surprise, given his size.

So many of these guys dying WAY prematurely, in their 40's and 50's or even earlier. Drug abuse, not just steriods, runs RAMPANT in the pro wrestler community. Severe psychological disorders. This group is worse than pro footballers.[/quote]

WTF...seriously

lex luger is not dead... nor is warrior...nor tugboat

and yes steiner is alive

[quote name='karkyco']So how many Pro Wrestlers have had their lives cut short by the lifestyle? How many have had their lives destroyed by that whole industry and specifically its darker side, which the WWE totally embodies and embrace?

Owen Hart
Mr. Perfect
Lex Lugor (?)
Jake the Snake
Ultimate Warrior
Eddie Guerrero
Chris Benoit

So many of these guys dying WAY prematurely, in their 40's and 50's or even earlier. Drug abuse, not just steriods, runs RAMPANT in the pro wrestler community. Severe psychological disorders. This group is worse than pro footballers.[/QUOTE]

so many of that list arnt dead its ridiculous, but so is the rest of youur post.

Really? I thought the original Ultimate Warrior (and the rest of those guys) was dead. Is there a site that tracks which wrestlers have died?

bread's done
Back