Circuit City $16.96 March clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

neocisco

CAGiversary!
Feedback
313 (100%)
I know there's a thread discussing this but I thought it would be easier to just start a separate one with the complete list. Here's a link to the other thread. Thanks go to lvgamer1 for giving everyone the initial heads-up.

http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129997

:360:
FIFA World Cup 2006
Final Fantasy XI
Full Auto
NBA Live 2006
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006

:ps2:
Armored Core: Nine Breaker
Chicken Little: Ace in Action
Commandos: Strike Force
Drakengard 2
FIFA Soccer 2006
FIFA World Cup 2006
Grandia III
Hitman: Blood Money
Kim Possible: What's the Switch?
MLB Slugfest 2006
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Reservoir Dogs
Spartan: Total Warrior
Super Monkey Ball Adventure
Tales of Legendia
Xenosaga III

:xbox:
Sonic Riders

:ds:
Cartoon Network Racing
Contact
Dragonquest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Full Metal Alchemist: Dual Sympathy
Garfield: Tale of Two Kitties
Justice League Heroes
Legend of Spyro
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Pokemon Trozei

:psp:
Gretzky NHL 2006
Infected
King Kong
Miami Vice

[quote name='Rayray']

It appeared during the transaction that the clerk didn't ring me up for Contact but I wasn't sure until I got outside, I didn't want to make a big deal out of it in case I was going to get lucky. Once I was to my car I was like "Hell yeah! Free DS game!" I guess the guy who checks receipts at the door can't count either. Actually, though, that would have been embarrasing if he caught the mistake and I had to go back to the line looking like I was guilty (even though, technically, it was the cashier's fault). Score![/QUOTE]

That is really strange, I was at the my local CC and I bought several ps2 and DS games from this clearance sale and when I got home I found out that the register hadn't scanned my copy of contact either, though I remember the cashier scanning everything I bought. I felt rather bad about it since the cashier was pretty nice and I don't want him getting in trouble. There must be something wrong with the Contact's scanning correctly?

[quote name='genoboost']That is really strange, I was at the my local CC and I bought several ps2 and DS games from this clearance sale and when I got home I found out that the register hadn't scanned my copy of contact either, though I remember the cashier scanning everything I bought. I felt rather bad about it since the cashier was pretty nice and I don't want him getting in trouble. There must be something wrong with the Contact's scanning correctly?[/quote]Someone reported a B1g1 on these games, could this have anything to do with that? I figured this late into the thread, if there was a B1G1, we would all know about it, so I didn't think twice about my g/f and I buying our games separately.

When I need to visit CC, I go to the Roanoke, VA one. They have the preowned racks there as well but the prices were not good last time I went (January probably). Perhaps they've gotten a clue since then but I remember buying Ninja Gaiden Black (new) for 16.96 while the used copy was priced at something like 24.99. Bold marketing strategy CC, very bold.

[quote name='neocisco']Take the money you saved on Contact and go buy a conscience, lurkerboy.[/quote]
Jealousy is a stinky cologne. It's definitely the cashier's fault for not doing his/her job properly. Besides that, B&M stores already screw us (consumers) so much that they can *very* easily afford giving away multiple free items per day.

I'm definitely going back after picking up XS3, ToL, and Spartan: TW... need Cooking Mama!

[quote name='kingsoby1']Jealousy is a stinky cologne. It's definitely the cashier's fault for not doing his/her job properly. Besides that, B&M stores already screw us (consumers) so much that they can *very* easily afford giving away multiple free items per day.

I'm definitely going back after picking up XS3, ToL, and Spartan: TW... need Cooking Mama![/quote]

I don't think there was a hint of jealousy in Neo's reply, besides I think he has a point. Large corporation or tiny locally owned store, dishonest is dishonest. I agree with you that yes, Circuit City can afford to lose a game, especially one on clearance. In fact, it's my understanding that Best Buy doesn't even have the protocol for what to do w/ a shop lifter, because taking them to court for stealing actually costs more than replacing the item, so they don't worry about it and actually factor in a small amount of theft (either internal or external) into their projected earnings.

Don't confuse my use of the word theft, I realize you didn't steal the game - you had every intention of paying for it and it was their mistake. But, justifying any blatant dishonesty when the only motivation is personal gain is dangerous, and I think that's all Neo was getting at.

It all depends on the person's moral observations. For example, I don't feel that taking advantage of a large chain's error is dishonest. Fight Club ftw!

The difference is, johnnypark put it intelligently, where as neocisco came off as being a forum troll.

Nevertheless, there is a thread dedicated to this exact topic... this isn't one of them.

I checked out the CC in Framingham, MA, and none of the games reported in this thread were marked down. Rocket Slime, Pokemon Trozei, and Phoenix Wright were all $29.99, and the clearance bins had no DS titles in them at all. Is this ymmv, or will their prices drop when scanned at the register?

[quote name='johnnypark']Where in VA are you?

I saw used games in December at the store in Ashland (near Virginia Center Commons) and they actually had some really good prices! I recall seeing the GTA trilogy (Xbox) for $15-20, and some GC games that were >$10.[/quote]

I live in Chesterfield and the store I went to was the one in colonial heights. I'll check out the ones in midlothian and short pump sometime to see what they have.

[quote name='SpazX']I live in Chesterfield and the store I went to was the one in colonial heights. I'll check out the ones in midlothian and short pump sometime to see what they have.[/quote]

I was at the Midlothian one last Sunday and they had most of the games listed. I don't have a PSP/360 and haven't been that interested in PS2 games lately, (portable burst-play on my DS FTW) so I didn't scan those as closely.

I forgot about the Short Pump store...it's so out of the way, I hate driving out there for anything. Plus, I live in the Fan next to VCU, so VCC is about 10 miles closer.

Good luck, though. Let me know if there's anything actually worth going out there for :)

[quote name='yukine']Nevertheless, there is a thread dedicated to this exact topic... this isn't one of them.[/quote]

Yeah, I wasn't going to take that any farther, as I'm sure it's been discussed at great length elsewhere. Didn't mean to hijack the thread :whistle2:#

[quote name='johnnypark']I was at the Midlothian one last Sunday and they had most of the games listed. I don't have a PSP/360 and haven't been that interested in PS2 games lately, (portable burst-play on my DS FTW) so I didn't scan those as closely.

I forgot about the Short Pump store...it's so out of the way, I hate driving out there for anything. Plus, I live in the Fan next to VCU, so VCC is about 10 miles closer.

Good luck, though. Let me know if there's anything actually worth going out there for :)[/quote]

Well the Virginia Center Commons one is probably closer to me too (especially when I'm at VCU) I just don't think I've ever been there :p. I should probably go look at the GC games they have whenever I have some time and money.

Has anybody picked up any of the pre-owned at CC? I'd like to know what the quality is like.

I just had an extremely successful trip to Framingham, MA. I first went to Best Buy with the Circuit City sunday ad, and had Cooking Mama DS price matched down to $13.99, then used the $5 off DS games BB coupon to lower it to $9.44 total with tax! I had some trouble waiting for manager approval codes for both transactions, and they asked if I had the original coupon instead of the print-out, but I said it came from an online gaming newsletter, which worked out alright. I then went to the Circuit City and used another BB $5 off DS games coupon for Rocket Slime, netting me both games for a total of $21.40. CC also had every single DS game mentioned in the thread (except no Contact) in multiple copies, incase anyone else from MA is interested.

Thank you very much everyone who contributed to the thread! :)

no Worms DS at my CC. Stoped in to get Big Brain Academy for $14 on sale.

A couple Rocket Slimes, but wanted Worms for the wife. Would have grabbed Phoenix Wright if it was there for myself maybe... but spent soooo much at staples today getting an unplanned MIO 310x for $140 plus thier FAR stuff.

Sorry, couldn't resist the brag.

I went to a few CCs looking for Phoenix Wright, and no luck there. :whistle2:(

I did see Toca Race Driver 3 and Monster Rancher Evo for PS2 in the 16.96 bins and picked those up.

[quote name='Nemo_Hyde'] no Worms DS at my CC. Stoped in to get Big Brain Academy for $14 on sale.

A couple Rocket Slimes, but wanted Worms for the wife. Would have grabbed Phoenix Wright if it was there for myself maybe... but spent soooo much at staples today getting an unplanned MIO 310x for $140 plus thier FAR stuff.

Sorry, couldn't resist the brag.[/quote]

If you can't find worms at CC, try Sears. I have seen it at every Sears I have been to. And it has been selling for $16.97 up until Monday when I bought it for $13.97. Finally caved at that price.

[quote name='MoxManiac_']Is Spartan Total Warrior worth it? I think my CC still has a couple[/quote]
Yeah definitely. It will be pretty hard to find in a couple months... right now it's hard to find for under 25$ used. Pretty good game... good substitute for God of War 2 if you dont feel like splurging.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Someone reported a B1g1 on these games, could this have anything to do with that?[/quote]Have they? I missed that.

I knew I had seen this![quote name='supersvegeta']My CC started a combination deal in addition to those prices in Lafayette, Indiana last Saturday. They added some more games to the bin and made it 'buy one, get one free'.[/quote]
I figured it was YMMV (as it most likely is) since I think it was reported only once. But now that people are saying certain games aren't ringing up, it seems maybe it's more widespread? Hmm, not sure i want to return my games to have them put them on the same receipt, but if this can be verified, not sure I can say no to it :D

can you use a BB $5 coupon at CC? i knew they price-matched, but had no idea they accepted competitor's coupons ... is this a YMMV?

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I knew I had seen this!
I figured it was YMMV (as it most likely is) since I think it was reported only once. But now that people are saying certain games aren't ringing up, it seems maybe it's more widespread? Hmm, not sure i want to return my games to have them put them on the same receipt, but if this can be verified, not sure I can say no to it :D[/quote]

Definitely YMMV. It's not company-wide.

[quote name='romeogbs19']can you use a BB $5 coupon at CC? i knew they price-matched, but had no idea they accepted competitor's coupons ... is this a YMMV?[/quote]
I think it's YMMV. I did it twice earlier this year with no problems, but the next two times I tried, I was told (at both local CCs) they changed their policies and would no longer accept competitors' coupons. But no one else has reported problems. So maybe it's just YMMV for me specifically...

[quote name='eugaet']I think it's YMMV. I did it twice earlier this year with no problems, but the next two times I tried, I was told (at both local CCs) they changed their policies and would no longer accept competitors' coupons. But no one else has reported problems. So maybe it's just YMMV for me specifically...[/quote]

I got shot down on this as well.

So, wait...are these $16.96 games B1G1 or not? Can anyone confirm/deny? I haven't even gone to look at my local store (which always has the deals, due to the workers never updating prices or pulling stock to put in the bargain bins) because $16.96 was too high for me...but for B1G1, I'd pick up Grandia III and Tales for sure.

Do you think the $16.96 price will drop down further in the coming months? In the past, the clearance prices dropped every few months until the items were sold. I don't know if CC has changed this protocol nowsaday.

Okay, so I checked this out for myself at lunch today. No go on the B1G1 at my store. Picked up Grandia III and Tales, had the guy ring 'em up, $30-something and change. I put 'em back where I got 'em. :p If the price does go down more or turns into B1G1 on a more widespread basis, this will be a hot deal. Until then, though, I can't justify buying more RPGs I won't get to in ages for almost $20 apiece.

Scored a Grandia and Tales (last copies of each) at the Bridgewater (Somerville?), NJ CC. No B1G1 though. Not much else their that I saw.

[quote name='neocisco']I know there's a thread discussing this but I thought it would be easier to just start a separate one with the complete list. Here's a link to the other thread. Thanks go to lvgamer1 for giving everyone the initial heads-up.

http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129997

:360:
FIFA World Cup 2006
Final Fantasy XI
Full Auto
NBA Live 2006

:ps2:
Armored Core: Nine Breaker
Chicken Little: Ace in Action
Commandos: Strike Force
Drakengard 2
FIFA Soccer 2006
FIFA World Cup 2006
Grandia III
Hitman: Blood Money
Kim Possible: What's the Switch?
MLB Slugfest 2006
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Reservoir Dogs
Spartan: Total Warrior
Super Monkey Ball Adventure
Tales of Legendia
Xenosaga III

:xbox:
Sonic Riders

:ds:
Cartoon Network Racing
Contact
Dragonquest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Full Metal Alchemist: Dual Sympathy
Garfield: Tale of Two Kitties
Justice League Heroes
Legend of Spyro
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Pokemon Trozei

:psp:
Gretzky NHL 2006
Infected
King Kong
Miami Vice[/quote]

Any one that can find the 16.96 copy of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006 for 360 originally listed would be appreciated, I will gladly pay shipping. Message me.

Saw a few copies of Phoenix Wright and Dragon Quest but decided to pass since I already own them. Would have picked them up but $17 is too much for trade fodder. Hopefully they will go down further as eau mentioned.

I went to my local circuit city yesterday to get in on the pheonix wright clearance price, it rang up as normal price at the register and there was no signage as related to any kind of clearance. Has this not started yet or is it YMMV for stores that participate?

I caved and picked up Rocket Slime at the $17 price. I'm here to report that it IS entirely worth it. I played it all weekend, I'm actually almost done with it! Yikes.

[quote name='NWgamer666']I went to my local circuit city yesterday to get in on the pheonix wright clearance price, it rang up as normal price at the register and there was no signage as related to any kind of clearance. Has this not started yet or is it YMMV for stores that participate?[/quote]

You sure you pricechecked the original Phoenix Wright?

Phoenix Wright: Justice for All (Orange-ish cover) should still ring up as $29.99.

Ah, darnit! Rocket Slime is a $17 game, too? Guess I'm headed back!

Anyway, at lunch I was able to grab Cooking Mama, Full Auto, Call of Duty 2 GOTY Edition, and 110%-pricematched BB's Chrome Hounds price --- got out of there with all of it for ~$64 after tax.

No copies of Ace Attorney at that store, though.

For people that can't find Rocket Slime @ CC, Best Buy has it for $24.99, and with either a GGC or a GamePro coupon, it would be $19.99.

[quote name='shrike4242']For people that can't find Rocket Slime @ CC, Best Buy has it for $24.99, and with either a GGC or a GamePro coupon, it would be $19.99.[/quote]

It's worth it. Spend, spend, spend, people; I don't think this game is doing too well.

DQH:RS is a blast, but I wouldn't go suicide run on it begging people to buy it to SUPROT TEH GAEM!!!111

Though, in all honesty, if you liked Paper Mario, or M&L:SS, or any of those light-hearted games, you'll love DQH:RS.

I started DQH:RS about a week ago and I have to say it's one of the most entertaining games I've played on the DS so far. Rolling Skull is right, it's in the same vein as Paper Mario and the Mario/Luigi games, but with the charm of Dragon Quest/Warrior mixed in.

I got it w/ a gift card at BB for $25 and wish I'd gotten it sooner. At $17 it's a steal, and easily the best DS game on the clearance list (with Pheonix Wright being an extremely close 2nd). Feel free to disagree w/ which one is better, but the point is it's a no-brainer :)

I really wish DQH had wifi for tank battles.

I dream of the day of DQH2 being announced with such a feature.

I really cannot see myself getting tired of that.

[quote name='johnnypark']I started DQH:RS about a week ago and I have to say it's one of the most entertaining games I've played on the DS so far. Rolling Skull is right, it's in the same vein as Paper Mario and the Mario/Luigi games, but with the charm of Dragon Quest/Warrior mixed in.

I got it w/ a gift card at BB for $25 and wish I'd gotten it sooner. At $17 it's a steal, and easily the best DS game on the clearance list (with Pheonix Wright being an extremely close 2nd). Feel free to disagree w/ which one is better, but the point is it's a no-brainer :)[/quote]

I agree (except i think DQ is the close second).
Anyone that can find either Phoenix Wright or Rocket Slime should buy them. I bought Rocket Slime at retail (to get a free keychain) and I had no regrets. Phoenix Wright will probably be hard to find but it is worth it at retail anyways. (also it is only $20 at TRU)

[quote name='Strell']I really wish DQH had wifi for tank battles.

I dream of the day of DQH2 being announced with such a feature.

I really cannot see myself getting tired of that.[/quote]

I can make you tired of that REAL fast.

100% mirrors/steel boomerangs Schliemann, BITCH!

[quote name='RollingSkull']I can make you tired of that REAL fast.

100% mirrors/steel boomerangs Schliemann, BITCH![/QUOTE]

I thought about that exact setup one day, and wondered if it were indeed defeatable.

And it is.

[quote name='Strell']I thought about that exact setup one day, and wondered if it were indeed defeatable.

And it is.[/quote]

Yeah, with the OTHER annoying set up. EVERYONE RUSH THEIR TANK AND BEAT THEM SO THEY CAN'T FIRE! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back