Circuit City August Clearance

botticus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Consider this a temporary thread until someone from CC can post a more complete list. What we have currently is only what is listed on the website or has been checked in-store. Thanks to Donnums, wlau, zman73, and kell. Forgive me if I missed crediting anyone.

All games $16.96. July thread can be found here.

:ps3:
The Club
F.E.A.R.
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground
Tony Hawk's Project 8

:wii:
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Bleach: Shattered Blade
Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
FarCry Vengeance

:ds:
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Mortal Kombat
Surf's Up

:360:
Eternal Sonata
NBA Street Homecourt
Armored Core 4

:gba:
TMNT
Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3

:ps2:
DDR Supernova
Manhunt 2
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

:xbox:
Family Guy
Call of Duty 3
Lego Star Wars 1
Lego Star Wars 2

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='guinaevere']For GBA games, yeah. That would be decent at 8.96. Still, just because it's clearance doesn't mean you have to buy. If they don't sell at current clearance prices, they'll go lower.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. But most of the games will have already been bought up except for the few lone copies for those lucky few ;)

[quote name='Link927']Exactly. But most of the games will have already been bought up except for the few lone copies for those lucky few ;)[/quote]

i'm calling my friend that works at CC and telling him to toss a half-dozen into the backstock rafters as we speak!

just kidding.

or am i?....

[quote name='allyourblood']oh, don't worry, i'm not touching 17-dollar GBA games with a ten-foot pole! :D[/quote]
Sometimes that is a good deal. I got FF VI for that price a month ago.

[quote name='jling84']Got a copy of DQS at the Pasadena CC. There were 2 more there if anyone in the area is interested. Anyone see any more copies of FFXII: RW in the SoCal area?[/QUOTE]

Thanks I picked one up today and left the other on the shelf. Thanks!

[quote name='allyourblood']anyone else think $16.96 is still kind of a steep clearance price? i guess i'm just super-cheap but those two Mario titles would sit a lot easier with me if they were $9.96 each.
[/QUOTE]

I agree... I liked it better when CC had the $1.99 clearance games a few years back ;). Or at least their last big summer clearance (2 years ago?) when they were $8.96.

Anyway, it was a near total bust at my CC (Tigard, OR). They had a big bin up front but it seemed to have just the detritus of previous clearance drops. I did find a DaH Big Willy in the Wii section still tagged $39.99. Since that was still there (multiple copies) I assume they didn't pull all the other clearance items - they just simply didn't have any copies of FE, DQS, or FF XII RW. Of course if I hear that there was a load of these put out over the weekend (I'll be out of town) I'll be pissed ;).

But to bring it back to the quoted post, it isn't a huge loss as with the possible exception of FF XII RW I'm sure I can get everything else cheaper later anyway.

[quote name='io']I agree... I liked it better when CC had the $1.99 clearance games a few years back ;). Or at least their last big summer clearance (2 years ago?) when they were $8.96.[/quote]

oh, those were the days! so many A-list titles for so little money... we just all need to stop buying them at 16.96 and we'll have our way again! :roll:;)

I dropped by a couple of CC on the way home from vacation from SF. I scored a Bleach: The Blade of Fate for DS for $16.96 (I didn't see this on the current list, but I'm assuming this is an old drop).

On the way out at the Emeryville CC, I scored two FE (one for a friend) and also left one copy of Eternal Sonata & several of The Club for PS3.

With my online order of DQS and The Club the night before with free shipping, I have this drop pretty much covered (except for FF XII RW that is)

[quote name='allyourblood']i'm currently 2-3 hours into Eternal Sonata. i don't know anything about the PS3 version, but the 360 version is very fun (i don't care for the new-style RPGs out there, and this one appeals to me very much), and for 17 bucks ($8 at TRU if you can manage to find one), it's a very good buy. also consider that the PS3 version will likely cost at least 40-50 on day one, and you have an even more compelling reason to buy it for 360.

edit: duh, i read your post wrong. anyway, my reason for keeping it still stands. why pay 30 dollars more for a game that very likely won't include 30 dollars worth of additional features? i can't think of any recent ports-with-benefits that really out-shined the originals.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. I find it really hard to justify purchasing a new supped up version of the same game on another platform. "Extra Features" is almost always code for "Ripping you off." If you already have a 360 and an curious about eternal sonata, but were not just whether to bite because there is a ps3 version coming out, please, don't insult the cag mantra. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

Of course if you don't have a 360 thats great you can buy it on the ps3! More love for all. right?

Hope to see the whole list on Saturday, Donnums! It'll be a tax-free day for me since I'm in CA. \\:D/ I just got a 360 so I hope Eternal Sonata is still in stock at the Northridge store.

The Northridge CC has been disappointing lately. Try the Woodland Hills CC. It tends to be overlooked for some reason (hint: it's next to a Fry's and Best Buy).

[quote name='rapsodist']Hope to see the whole list on Saturday, Donnums! It'll be a tax-free day for me since I'm in CA. \\:D/ I just got a 360 so I hope Eternal Sonata is still in stock at the Northridge store.[/quote]

I didnt know CA had a tax free day, since when :whistle2:s

[quote name='Shady3011']The Northridge CC has been disappointing lately. Try the Woodland Hills CC. It tends to be overlooked for some reason (hint: it's next to a Fry's and Best Buy).[/quote]

Yeah, I agree that that store is overlooked. I went there for Black Friday last year and came out much better than the previous year when I went to the Northridge store. Still, it's a 15-min drive out of the way for me to Woodland Hills during this tax-free weekend so I'll check Northridge first.

[quote name='Link927']I didnt know CA had a tax free day, since when :whistle2:s[/quote]

It's a CC promo event this weekend: Sat and Sun are tax-free for all customers in CA. I feel like we've had this event before but I can't say for sure.

[quote name='FiendCameron']With tax only 7/8%, i don't really see a reason to wait for some of the better stuff on here. Might disappear..[/quote]

It's 8.25% tax for me, and while I realize that it wouldn't amount to much, I don't have time to go out shopping tomorrow anyway. Saturday's when I'm free and it just happens to coincide with the tax-free event.

[quote name='rapsodist']It's a CC promo event this weekend: Sat and Sun are tax-free for all customers in CA. I feel like we've had this event before but I can't say for sure.[/quote]

Ah, I see. Well, I hope this means they'll actually have CSRs on register >_> Heh, well, it depends if its really worth the risk, save $2 on the last copy of game X, or buy it now?

[quote name='rapsodist']It's 8.25% tax for me, and while I realize that it wouldn't amount to much, I don't have time to go out shopping tomorrow anyway. Saturday's when I'm free and it just happens to coincide with the tax-free event.[/quote]

Ah, i forgot it is county to county. 7.75% here.

the CC in totowa NJ had still has eternal sonata mixed in with the regular 360 stuff i think 2 left.

i grabbed eternal sonata and fire emblem.

i am dying to find a cheap copy of bleach though....
anyone check out the livingston CC on rte 10?

[quote name='rapsodist']Yeah, I agree that that store is overlooked. I went there for Black Friday last year and came out much better than the previous year when I went to the Northridge store. Still, it's a 15-min drive out of the way for me to Woodland Hills during this tax-free weekend so I'll check Northridge first.

It's a CC promo event this weekend: Sat and Sun are tax-free for all customers in CA. I feel like we've had this event before but I can't say for sure.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, got the last DQ from there yesterday; Place is being remodeled and it's a mess!

[quote name='allyourblood']anyone else think $16.96 is still kind of a steep clearance price? i guess i'm just super-cheap but those two Mario titles would sit a lot easier with me if they were $9.96 each.

oh, and thanks Donnums![/QUOTE]

I think it kind of is a little steep, but remember that this was the model corporate came up with after the stampede of informed shoppers showing up with lists and going ape shit over the $5 en-mass drops of the past. CC is a little aware of CAG, FW, and SD (evidence being the crucification of Speedy). If you recall, FW and SD shoppers were starting conflicts with staff and calling corporate to complain over out-of-stock Cel Damage and Turok on GC being out of stock, with little Fleabay dollar signs floating around in their head.

Remember how gaming retail works. Games are hit or miss.. and the longer they sit on a shelf and depreciate, the longer they retain retail space that could be filled by newer, more expensive, better selling games. Marking down to $16.96 is the first step in finding price equilibrium; they move more units at a price consumers are willing to pay for them. If they don't move, they go to $12.96.. and so on, and so on.

Granted, it seems that the decisions to clearance and at what price are very hit or miss... but let's face it, most if not all of these titles are not competitively priced when they're over a year old and sitting at full MSRP. So although I would rather see cheaper prices, this newer model actually keeps alot of the hoarders and FW douches away and allows me to have greater success in getting games I personally want at a low price. Trust me.. if these things went back to the $5 en-mass drop, it would attract A LOT more attention.

I snagged a FFXIII RW last night, passed on the rest. I already own Eternal Sonata, I'm really on the fence with The Club, and the rest (like Fire Emblem and DQS) got pretty mediocre metacritic ratings. FYI, the GBA TMNT (if I remember correctly) is supposed to be alot like TMNT: The Arcade Game if I remember correctly. I obtained a master list of all the clearance console games as of last week, don't have this weeks.. but it is only a mirror of what has been posted monthly by neocisco. I'm almost at a point to where I'd Paypal someone $5 for a PC games clearance master list or console accessory list.

The other thing is that more and more people seem to be jumping at the first round of drops. Whereas a year or so ago, you could wait for the game to drop lower than $16.96 at CC and $29.98 at Target and still have a copy or two left, it seems nowadays people run out the door once they find those prices at both of those stores. I've "lost out" on deals because I waited for those prices to drop further but it's not big deal to me since they were never something I absolutely had to have. But my suggestion for myself and others is that if you really want something at the current drop price and your store has it, you should pick it up. Once you leave it and decide to go back on a second thought, it'll be gone. At least that's how it's been for me here, recently.

[quote name='botticus']The common answer to this is: the people doing the praising are not the same people doing the namecalling.[/quote]
In that case, where do the namecallers go during the flipping threads? Why do they think flipping is OK and ebaying is bad?

cant remember does FF wings have any replay vaule after you beat it the first time

Rented it off blockbuster back in NOV and played it to the final boss but kept getting killed and didnt fell like leveling up my people to level 80+

i do remember do not do all the side quest cause it then makes the game INSANE HARD (all monsters are level 99)

[quote name='Monroeski']In that case, where do the namecallers go during the flipping threads? Why do they think flipping is OK and ebaying is bad?[/quote]

It just boils down to the fact that people have doublestandards (hypocrites?) that they employ to suit their situation and many times, it comes out when they're mad that they couldn't score something and hear someone getting more than 1 copy.

I don't like hoarding myself, but why stop at bashing flipping at a store or eBaying? Why would it be OK for someone to buy multiple copies just for potential trading on CAG? Many times, people aren't 100% positive that someone will want one of their extra copies of a game yet they still grabbed them all, anyway. Then no one agrees to their asking price and they end up eBaying it. You're still doing it for profit by unloading the games on CAG, but the payment sometimes ends up being another game than actual currency (although the latter seems to be more and more common nowadays).

I think the only fair thing to do is to buy for yourself, unless you're 100% certain the extra copy you're buying already has a buyer or recipient, and that's it.

Full disclosure. :)

I already have a copy of Final Fantasy VI Advance that I bought for $35 online. I bought a second at Circuit City yesterday because:

1) These clearance deals never pan out for me and I was caught up in the excitement of my Fire Emblem "find."

2) Final Fantasy is my favorite series, and FF6 is my favorite game in the series, and I am somewhat of a collector dork, so it'll be kind of neat to have an extra sealed copy on my shelf.

3) That game has been sitting on that shelf in that store for a year and a half. If someone else in the St. Louis area really wanted a copy, I think they would have come and claimed it by now.

I may end up flipping the game if the demand for it starts rising again, or I may just give it to my brother if he wants it, or I may hold on to it for sentimental value. So sue me. ;)

[quote name='Mugen Power']The other thing is that more and more people seem to be jumping at the first round of drops. Whereas a year or so ago, you could wait for the game to drop lower than $16.96 at CC and $29.98 at Target and still have a copy or two left, it seems nowadays people run out the door once they find those prices at both of those stores. I've "lost out" on deals because I waited for those prices to drop further but it's not big deal to me since they were never something I absolutely had to have. But my suggestion for myself and others is that if you really want something at the current drop price and your store has it, you should pick it up. Once you leave it and decide to go back on a second thought, it'll be gone. At least that's how it's been for me here, recently.[/quote]

See, this would be a cyclic reaction. Let's take a hypothetical situation here.

Group A buys games at the ridiculously low prices of $5.99 for example.

Group A slowly expands with every year because more and more people get in on it. Eventually the demand outnumbers the stock, and some people of Group A miss out on said deal. We'll call this group Group B.

Since B missed the boat last time around, they take a precaution and buy it at a low price of, say, $9.99 as opposed to waiting for it to drop to $5.99, since even at $9.99, most games are still a good deal. Since B picks up some of the stock and A's still growing, You can be sure there's not going to be enough stock for A.

Because of that, more people jump ship from A to B. Eventually, it gets to the point where stock runs dry and A is out of luck. At this point A has completely transferred to B. But B's numbers are now too large as well, and people miss out. They form Group C, who buys games at the moderate, but still cheap price of $15.

And I'm sure you can tell where this is going. Though I'm sure this cycle would stop around $19.99, unless the US economy wants to suck some more.

I don't think it'll ever drop back down to those levels again either, unless you somehow got the entire consumer base to hold out until the lowest possible price, which I'm just going to assume to be impossible.

[quote name='Omnislash124']
Because of that, more people jump ship from A to B. Eventually, it gets to the point where stock runs dry and A is out of luck. At this point A has completely transferred to B. But B's numbers are now too large as well, and people miss out. They form Group C, who buys games at the moderate, but still cheap price of $15.

And I'm sure you can tell where this is going. Though I'm sure this cycle would stop around $19.99, unless the US economy wants to suck some more.[/quote]

so what you're saying is, eventually we'll all be fighting each other to pay more than MSRP, and group Z will inevitably crush all comers and rule the world?

sign me the hell up.

;)

Grabbed an ES this morning - they had at least one more. Didn't see a FFXII:RW, but I had decided to pass on it anyway and was just looking out of curiosity (skylander7 may have grabbed the last one, since I think we frequent the same CC ;) ).

I did see something not mentioned yet which I gabbed, but it may have been from an earlier drop - Crush for the psp. I snatched it, since I've been looing for a deal on it for a while now.

[quote name='allyourblood']so what you're saying is, eventually we'll all be fighting each other to pay more than MSRP, and group Z will inevitably crush all comers and rule the world?

sign me the hell up.

;)[/quote]

Well, at least for the US. Supposedly Europe pays a hell of a lot more for games when you compare the dollar equivalent. Bud I don't live in Europe, so I don't know.

And yeah, around the time Video Games become heavenly deities, we'll all be killing each other just to play Final Fantasy CMXII. ;)

[quote name='pagster']I went to two CCs - and both times Fire Emblem rang up for $50.

:([/quote]

I just scored some today for 16.96.. I hit 2 different CC looking for Fire Emblem and FF RW for the DS, all I could find was Fire Emblem but each store had it for 16.96...

Thanks op.
no FFXII RW, but I manage to snag an ES.
There's one more left at Riverside -near Tyler Mall.

Oh, & I also passed up on 2 FFVI and 2 DQ Joker DS as well

Oh, just in case it hasn't been mentioned. At CC last night, I saw new little coupons, $10 or $15 off a $100 purchase. I forget the dates though.

I picked up Fire Emblem. It was the last one left. They have 2 Eternal Sonata's that I might go and grab one tomorrow.

I wanted FFVI but didn't see any. How much is the FFVI's?

just snagged MK ds :) , plus 3 eternal sonatas and 2 extra fire emblems. Yes i know i am a whore.

If someone needs revenant wings i can pick it up for 23 shipped

Man, I was sure I wasn't going to be able to find a Fire Emblem. Already have all the other stuff I want from other clearances, mainly Amazon deals (FFVI, FF:RW and DQ:S), but is there any confirmation on Trauma Center: New Blood being clearanced at $16.96? I'm kinda sorta tempted by Fear PS3, but $17 is still too much. I'll wait on that one. And thanks for the info on Eternal Sonata coming to PS3, I don't care if it'll MSRP at $40 or 50, I'll just wait a few months afterward for the PS3 version to be clearanced, LOL.

I went to the Culver City store yesterday evening, that store didn't have a single copy of FE:RD and told me the store on La Cienega in mid city LA had 4 copies. I believe both of these stores had copies of FF:RW as of 7 pm yesterday, but I can't be sure so don't blame me. Both had DQ:S as well, didn't check for Eternal Sonata though. Both were an organizational nightmare, everything mixed up so you will have to dig. For the X360 and PS3 games, don't forget to check the glass cases as well as the racks (and the clearance bins).

So I jet over to the La Cienega store, search but no dice, and the employees searched for half an hour all over, couldn't find a single one even though 4 copies are in the system. How the hell does that happen? I'm guessing some employee or insider 5 fingered the 4 copies, or these or other employees found or hid the copies in the backroom and knew they were clearanced and were keeping them for themselves.

So now these employees tell me that the only stores they can find it at in the LA area are the Santa Monica store, the Montebello store, and the Van Nuys store. But if you have a different store nearby, try anyway, all I know is La Cienega and Culver City definitely did not have FE.

I just got back from the Santa Monica store with a copy (lady said the computer showed they also had 4 copies, none on the shelves, she checked in the back and found one). I don't know if they have any more copies, I didn't ask. I should have picked up Eternal Sonata as well just for the hell of it, oh well.

But if you're looking for a copy in LA, check Montebello, Van Nuys, or Santa Monica.

Man, FE is about as rare as you can get. Two stores down and I've only found one copy (yay me!). I was dying to find a FFXII:RW and DQS, but there's one more store to check.

...also finally broke down and bought the MGS collection. They had one sealed at the standard $29.99. :whee:

[quote name='guinaevere']For GBA games, yeah. That would be decent at 8.96. Still, just because it's clearance doesn't mean you have to buy. If they don't sell at current clearance prices, they'll go lower.[/quote]

That damn Super Mario Advance 4 (Super Mario Bros 3) is the only one I'm missing of the 4, because it's the one that hasn't gone player's choice and to the best of my knowledge was never really clearance priced anywhere. It was always $29.99.

I might have to bite at $17, even though I've played the hell out of that game ever since it came with my launch Super Nintendo, but I want it for the collection, damn it.

[quote name='FiendCameron']With tax only 7/8%, i don't really see a reason to wait for some of the better stuff on here. Might disappear..[/quote]

"Only"?!? that 7/8% sales tax (8.25% for me, in LA County) adds up and is ridiculously high. Thankfully as a wholesaler and reseller, I can get around it for most items, LOL.

bread's done
Back