Classic Video Game Shame Thread!

ninju D

CAGiversary!
In honor of Cheapy's recent CAGCast admission that he had never played "Classic" games like Super Mario 64 and Super Metroid, what classic games have you never played or only played briefly (and have you ever claimed that you really have)?

I'll start it off. I never played A Link to the Past.

Paging io to this thread. Paging io.

Also, musicnoteless and Chacrana. MNL's list reads in such a way that you almost have to draw the conclusion that maybe he lived the first 20 years of his life without hands, and thus could not play games at all. Chacrana, too, was a disappointment.

Mmmm. Let's see.

I never played Wolfenstein 3D except for very brief moments. I guess I can say the same about Doom.

Unless we get into the PS2/Xbox/GC generation and beyond, I think I've got most of the bases covered for everything else, so I gotta resort to classic PC titles.

The only Zelda game I played a significant amount of was Minnish Cap and the only Metal Gear game I played was the first one. Also, I've never played a Castlevania game and the only Mario games I've played are Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3. I'm not to broken up about all that though. The games I'm ashamed I havent gotten to yet are Ico, Shadow of the Collossus, and Psychonauts.

[quote name='Maklershed']The games I'm ashamed I havent gotten to yet are Ico, Shadow of the Collossus, and Psychonauts.[/quote]
I'll second that.

Also I only got about 3 hours into God of War before I got bored. I replayed RE4 instead.

Wooh. Big area of shame for me. Mostly because I wasn't gaming early enough to play the really old games in the 2600-Classic PC eras. My gaming history started with the Genesis and then moved onward to the Playstation, then PS2, Gamecube, and now Wii. I've always had a PC, but wasn't playing when games like Monkey Island came out. I'm still a big fan of those classic games though. I always like exploring classic games that I haven't played before (like how I picked up copies of Metal Gear Solid and Parasite Eve at a used bookstore this month).

But a few games in particular that I had a chance to play, but never did:
  • Final Fantasy 7. I have this game, and played it about 20% through, but never ended up finishing. That's on my to-do list now.
  • Final Fantasy 1-6, 8, & 9: Never played these before. :(
  • I never picked up a Dreamcast, even when they were being given away. Could I have really afforded to buy the trimmings of a new console at the time? No. Do I still wish I had one today? Yeah, kinda.
Edit:

Oh, yeah. In addition, even though I own one of those super-awesome Ocarina of Time/Master Quest pre-order discs, I haven't played the game for more than 30 minutes. :(

Never played any Zelda for more than an hour other than Minish Cap and ALttP.

Never played FF7-9 despite owning them. Never played FF2-6, but slowly making this one up.

Never played any Resident Evil game other than the first one (on the DS).

That's all for now, but I'm sure there's more.

What the fuck? Cheapy's never played Mario 64? That's crazy.

I can't really think of any classic games I haven't played.
Emulators FTW.

we should turn this comforting thread into a game of I NEVER:
ready go.
[size=+2]I NEVER played a Metal Gear Solid title. [/size]
alright, now all of you take a drink or put a finger down.

Oh my God I think my head is going to explode after reading some of these confessions. A tear is literally running down my cheek from sadness.

I don't think I missed ANYTHING significant on any system, PC or arcade before my college years (early PS1 era).

Never played the Saturn, and there are a lot I want to pick up on it, particularly the RPGs. Everything from Pong to the SNES/Genesis/Turbografx era is definitely covered and then some.

I just have a few of the smaller print run and popular/rare PS1 RPGs/games that I missed out on, but I've been buying most of those up, so eventually I will get to them, as well as a few games of this past generation (XBox, Gamecube, PS2) that I haven't bought yet. Tons of them that I do own are backed up on my "to be played" list.

And I don't have a 360 yet so I haven't really played much of anything on that.

I guess what I really want to play are the Genesis/Saturn Shining Force games (never played any of those...though I own but haven't yet played the Shining Force Neo/Other one on PS2, Shining Force Ressurect the Dark Dragon GBA, and Shining in the Darkness Genesis), maybe a couple of obscure SNES RPGs, and the Ogre Battle games...never played any of those (though I own Tactics Ogre GBA), tragically.

I didn't play Final Fantasy 7 till last year, and it only left a a "Meh" impression on me.

I only played Zelda: Ocarina of Time up till you go inside that giant tree... thing. I then got fed up with the controls and stopped playing.

I also got stuck very early in Chrono Trigger and got fed up.

I've never played a Metroid game. (including Prime)

Haven't played:

--Anything on the N64 besides lots of Golden Eye MP at friends' houses and a decent chunk of OOT on the LoZ Collector's disc. I played like an hour of Mario 64 on the VC

--haven't played anything classic on the Genesis besides Gunstar Heroes

--I've only played bits and pieces of various Dreamcast games

--only played Fighters Mega Mix on the Saturn, nothing else

--haven't finished FFVI, but am playing FFVI Advance right now. still not sure if I'll finish. the gameplay is not so hot to me and I can't say I care about the story enough to play the game over reading a book or watching a movie.

and lots more.

games take too long.

Ah, yes, Metroid. Never played any Metroid game until recently, I just started Metroid Fusion. But now I'm stuck. So... yeah.

Also never played any Street Fighter game until the other day, but I suck at that too.

I've also never played anything on a Sega console other than Sonic Adventure 2, Crazy Taxi and Jet Grind Radio.

I've never played a SMT game, either.

Heh, I've got all of you all beat.

I have never played an XBox. Ever! Not the 360, not the original.

There, I said it.

That means no Halo or any other XBox game, EVER.

Guess I'll have alot of gaming to catch up on when I get one, which I plan to EVENTUALLY. It's just that when the orig XBox came out I was kind of anti-MS, and couldn't really care about it, and my PS2 and PC/Nintendo stuff kept me occupied. Now I can definitely see myself getting a 360, but I'm in no hurry really.

It's easier when you don't really know what you're missing, ka-peche?

hmm...don't really know what I'm ashamed of not playing

well, ive never played a Final Fantasy game so thats something

ooh yea, and most newer games - like gears and resistance, ive yet to play

I've had Shadow of the Colossus, MGS3, and Panzer Dragoon Orta sitting around for months and I've only touched the very beginning of each.

[quote name='Rocko']I've never played an Xbox either, but that's hardly classic. So, no, you don't have anyone beat.[/quote]

not much of a "modern life" without an xbox...

[quote name='Callandor']I've had Shadow of the Colossus, MGS3, and Panzer Dragoon Orta sitting around for months and I've only touched the very beginning of each.[/quote]

that seems to be a trend when you start coming here. i never could get how anyone could not play a game. but you get in on all those deals and sales and before you know it youve got alot of games youve started but only went so far and then before you know it youre starting another game only to stop that one and start another. ive got a few games i havent played at all and ive got maybe 15 games i started but stopped to start something else.

which reminds me i need ot get back into scarface. but i just dont have the time or the focus to beat them all. sucks too i remember when i was a kid id blast through games in a week now if im lucky depending on the game 2 weeks to a month.

[quote name='Foo228']not much of a "modern life" without an xbox...[/quote]

Yeah, yeah, I know. I gots a Wii though, so that makes it slightly more modern (in before lulz wii is liek last genz, etc. etc.). I needs me a 360.

I never...

Hm...

Beat Diablo 2. I own it (as of like 6 months ago) and I have a character but I can't get it to look right on my computer so I haven't bothered to put much time into it.

I've also never beaten FF8 but after the first 9 hours, I felt like my penis was going to leave me if I kept playing so I put it down forever.

That's about it. I put in some pretty serious hours back in the days.

I never got off the first stage of the original Metal Gear for NES. I just didn't get it as a kid. I've never gone back to see if I could do it as an adult. As a matter of fact, I purchased and sold Metal Gear Solid twice before I played it long enough to get past the tank boss. I was always more interested in the VR missions, which was an awesome game too.

Never played Final Fantasy 1-6 and 9. Never finished the first disc of Final Fantasy 7, I'll have to get back to it someday. Never got very far in Metroid on the NES. Bunch of other games that I've started and haven't gotten around to finishing, like MGS 3 and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

For all those who haven't played Shadow of the Colossus, please do so. It is an amazing game. Some will not appreciate its simple brilliance, but it is easily one of my favorites of the PS2 generation.

Never played:

Original Zelda
Zelda II
Bionic Commando
Any Gran Turismo
Any First Person Shooter including: Doom, Duke Nukem, Goldeneye (did play some multiplayer), or Halo

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Tough one for me...

I've never played Gunstar Heroes! *ducks*[/QUOTE]

I never did either, I got the GBA one and I didn't really "get it" ..

but other games..

the Majority of the N64 games mostly because i never had one and when I did get one their time had past.. i have tried most of the games, and i don't like the zelda 64s, Super Mario 64 is ALRIGHT, but doesn't hold a candle to the NES/SNES 2D games..

I never had a Genesis, and when i got the PS2 collection, i felt like i didn't miss "much".. i like phantasy star but i had those on the GBA too.. those platformers arn't as good as the Nintendo ones..

I regret not getting a dreamcast, mostly because i could have picked it up way cheap, games even cheaper, and I feel a little left out on that one.. I also regret not picking up more PS1 RPGs when they were "easier to find and cheaper".. I regret not finishing FF9, I liked the game, I finished the first 2 discs, just never got over the hump to finish it.. I also regret not picking up the PS1 DDRs, as I like those ones more then the PS2 and laters

but my biggest regret, is not picking up Earthbound when I could have.. that one will now always alude me..

I can't really think of any I haven't played, save for Castlevania. I had DoS, and played a little of it, tho. I played and hated these:

Zelda (all of em)
Mario 64
DKC 3
Yoshi's Island

[quote name='Segasonic01']I can't really think of any I haven't played, save for Castlevania. I had DoS, and played a little of it, tho. I played and hated these:

Zelda (all of em)
Mario 64
DKC 3
Yoshi's Island[/QUOTE]

just jealous because Sonic is a shell of a game character :lol:

Hmmm, Earthbound, FF6, any Metroid except for Zero Mission and now Prime 3, Zelda 2, Link to the Past (played a bit), OoT (played to the temple of Time), Majora's Mask, any Metal Gear Solid, etc.

[quote name='Apossum']just jealous because Sonic is a shell of a game character :lol:[/quote]
No, I just hated the overall gameplay. I like Mario games and Donkey Konga games, as well as hate a few Sonic games. It's just these games I really hated.

I actually just sat down and finally played my Gunstar Heroes for the Genesis.

It's OK. Typical Treasure game. If that's your thing, kudos. There's nothing technically wrong with it, but it's not my thing either. I actually think Treasure's best game was Mischief Makers.

I have (re)bought loads of classic games that I've never been able to sit down and play over the last few years... I dream of a time when my kids and my missus will go away for a few weeks and my job will suspend me on full pay so I can finally play Earthbound or God Of War.

This will probably never happen.

I guess that's a good thing.

I have played a bit of, but didn't enjoy too much of...
Final Fantasy VI
yeah that's right, I said it.

*puts on blindfold and readies himself for the firing squad*

I've never played...actually, I can't think of a good game I haven't at least played with the exception of ones from the last year I haven't gotten around to getting yet. I've played about an hour total of Final Fantasy games (I, VII, and X). I don't like them.

Wow, so here it goes. Never played Halo, or any Xbox game. Never played the original Zelda or ANY Metroid. I guess I'm just picky and need games that give me an emotional attachment.

Oh yeah, I fucking HATE Resident Evil.

For shame, for shame.

bread's done
Back