Cloverfield Movie Thread - DVD Out on April 22nd

[quote name='becuzimbrown']i moved my LCD screen so it is facing up and is horizontal, and i was able to see more of the 3rd picture[/QUOTE]
Here it is darkened up a bit:
kkkao9vf0.jpg

And of course, the super-sleuths are already forcing themselves to see far more in this picture than is actually there. Sigh...

[quote name='jimfoley16']http://www.abz3293.com/[/QUOTE]
Now, see, that seems pretty likely to be fake to me, because if you do a WHOIS lookup, it was created on July 10th, the day after the Quicktime version of the trailer was released (which was the first time you could easily make out details like license plates). I'm thinking that any viral sites for this movie would have been registered before they released the teaser.

This thread is killing me. All the little clues and ideas about what the hell this movie is are making me want to see it so bad. Whoever put together this trailer did a damn good job.

(And just for the record, I hear "It's alive").

[quote name='Halo05']
I'm such a sucker for end of the world type movies, nuclear wars, zombies, plagues, monsters, aliens... bring it on.[/quote]
Same here, though it's the best when the trailer doesn't tell you which one it is, like this one did.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Here it is darkened up a bit:
kkkao9vf0.jpg

And of course, the super-sleuths are already forcing themselves to see far more in this picture than is actually there. Sigh...[/quote]

jeez...im sorry

i was just putting information out there to help us figure out what this movie is about, and i noticed this.

[quote name='becuzimbrown']jeez...im sorry

i was just putting information out there to help us figure out what this movie is about, and i noticed this.[/QUOTE]
Oh, dude, I'm sorry. That "super-sleuths" comment wasn't directed at you at all. I apologize.

I'm was talking about the loonies on IMDB and youtube and the communities that have already developed around this movie, who seriously have thesis-length, 80-page analyses about every single scrap of info about this movie. They take it a little too far, I think.

Again, sorry, and I was using that darked version of the pic to illustrate what I imagined it looked like on a tilted LCD monitor, for those of us using CRTs. No offense intended.

[quote name='ITDEFX']oh fuck , now that is creepy.

i wonder why people think this might be a *lost* movie? Just cause its by that JJ Abrams guy doesn't necessarily mean its a lost movie.[/quote]

It can't be Lost. ABC/Disney wouldn't give up a Lost movie to Paramount. This is a separate JJ Abrams production company movie, part of a separate agreement/contract he has with Paramount.

BTW...I work on Cloverfield in Santa Monica, right by Olympic and right by the BAD ROBOT offices. OMG the movie must be about ME and they're coming for ME!!! Perhaps they're filming parts of it at the SM airport, who knows? But yes the Bad Robot offices are just a couple blocks away, same with Revolution Studios, MTV Networks, and a host of other media/film production companies, among many high tech ones.

Maybe I should go snoop around the offices with Scooby and the gang.

And BTW, I'M the one that pointed out the little 'goatse' head in her hair/streetlamp, at least on this site, and no I didn't get it from elsewhere. It's pretty damn blatantly in your face if you ask me. Don't know about it looking like it's drinking or biting a lizards head off, it just looks like a mellow little devil style goat/gargoyle/imp head with a goatee and either big ass ears or horns to me. I pointed it out as a joke mostly, not a "OH MY GOD THE CREATURE IS AN EVIL DEVIL GOAT" conspiracy theory, because it would be pretty cheesy if it actually meant something to the movie. But it does indeed seem too in your face to be mere coincidence.

As for the last pic, what jumps into my mind, as I'm sure was intended, is how similar it is to those shots of 9/11 after the towers came down and people were just coated in the ashes, soot, and mostly pulverized concrete and other dust/powder. Damn, this movie does have me hooked though. Hopefully it won't be spoiled before release, and will actually be good as opposed to the Blair Witch Project.

LOS ANGELES - What is it? That's the question moviegoers are asking about a mysterious trailer promoting an unnamed film shown in previews before Transformers.

The footage is hand-held home video of a party in New York, featuring happy-looking twentysomethings dancing and mugging for the camera before disaster strikes.

The lights go out. The party people go to the roof and see huge fireballs erupting in the city. Panic ensues and the group runs to the street, where something large hurtles through the sky and crash-lands in the street in a heap of burned wreckage.

It's the Statue of Liberty's head.

There is no title on the trailer. The date 1/18/08 is shown, along with a line saying it is produced by Lost co-creator and Mission: Impossible III director J.J. Abrams.

The project is known by the code name Cloverfield, but that is not the real title, according to Paramount Pictures, the source of the trailer.

9NEWS Entertainment Reporter Kirk Montgomery learned exclusively on Friday from a secret source, who is on the set of the film every day, that it is not a sequel or a remake (which precludes King Kong or Godzilla). It is not Voltron or "Lost"-related.

The source told Kirk the entire film will be presented through a handheld video camera, as in the style of the trailer. All of the actors involved had not seen scripts when they signed on for the project and are under strict legal gag-orders not to discuss any aspect of the film.

The source says 50 percent of the $30 million budget for the film is devoted to special effects.

The official Web site is www.1-18-08.com, but the source tells Kirk that apparently a Japanese-style Web site, www.slusho.jp, has lots of clues yet undiscovered by the rabid fans who have been scouring the Internet for hints.

The source told Kirk the biggest clue of the trailer is in the line: "I saw it, it's alive, it's huge."

The source also says the sound the "creature" makes is another big clue. He says the creature is an organic, living thing.

The film is being released by Paramount, but they also are not saying anything. Yet.

Click here to watch what all the fuss is about.

http://www.9news.com/life/entertainment/article.aspx?storyid=73653

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']This thread is killing me. All the little clues and ideas about what the hell this movie is are making me want to see it so bad. Whoever put together this trailer did a damn good job.

(And just for the record, I hear "It's alive").

Same here, though it's the best when the trailer doesn't tell you which one it is, like this one did.[/QUOTE]

This is EXACTLY what the producers want, a lot of pre-hype to get a lot of people to go see this movie when it comes out. It will be a shot in the dark, but if the producers play it right, they could just do 15, 10, 30 seconds variations of this teaser up until release causing everyone to go see it just to see what the hell its about generating millions of dollars opening weekend, but then dropping off 80% the second week.

[quote name='ITDEFX']This is EXACTLY what the producers want, a lot of pre-hype to get a lot of people to go see this movie when it comes out. It will be a shot in the dark, but if the producers play it right, they could just do 15, 10, 30 seconds variations of this teaser up until release causing everyone to go see it just to see what the hell its about generating millions of dollars opening weekend, but then dropping off 80% the second week.[/quote]
That is one of the best marketing stratagies ever; making a mysterious trailer that creates internet buzz. It's like free advertising.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']That is one of the best marketing stratagies ever; making a mysterious trailer that creates internet buzz. It's like free advertising.[/QUOTE]

That's true, however it puts more pressure on the producers to make this one hell of a movie. It's kind of what they did with the Hulk teaser poster. You can't see the full face until right up til the release of the movie. Everyone went to see it opening weekend and it made millions, however bad press from everyone didn't like it and so word of mouth hurt this movie by the second week profits dropped a huge percentage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulk_(film)
The film received mixed reviews, and polarized opinions from audiences with the film experiencing a second-weekend box office drop of 70%,[1] the second-largest drop ever recorded for a movie that opened as the top box office draw its opening week.

it's too early to tell what is to become of this movie? Box office smash or box office crash.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']That is one of the best marketing stratagies ever; making a mysterious trailer that creates internet buzz. It's like free advertising.[/QUOTE]
Internet buzz is good, but relying on it exclusively is a course for disaster. Remember what happened to Snakes on a Plane?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Internet buzz is good, but relying on it exclusively is a course for disaster. Remember what happened to Snakes on a Plane?[/quote]

That's a good point. What a shame that was. I really wish more people went to see that. That was the single greatest movie theater experience I've ever had.

[quote name='ITDEFX'] It's kind of what they did with the Hulk teaser poster. You can't see the full face until right up til the release of the movie. Everyone went to see it opening weekend and it made millions, however bad press from everyone didn't like it and so word of mouth hurt this movie by the second week profits dropped a huge percentage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulk_%28film%29

it's too early to tell what is to become of this movie? Box office smash or box office crash.[/quote]

Hopefully that wont be the case. The Hulk was god awful...

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Internet buzz is good, but relying on it exclusively is a course for disaster. Remember what happened to Snakes on a Plane?[/QUOTE]

oh god not that movie again..... I remember how you fuckers were raving about this movie last year on the boards :|

Glad I didn't see this movie.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Whoa...I see it too.

cloverfo4.jpg
[/quote]
That face looks like the left side of the face of a white tiger... or a lion... validifying the "it's a lion" thing. This is the first time I have heard of this movie. I don't have headphones, so I'll watch the trailers and stuff tomorrow

Seriously, this movie should become a hardcore take on Pokemon. That will knock the socks off of everybody

will you guys shut up about "its a LION" ..the guy doesn't say that.... who the fuck would make a movie about a giant lion capable of blowing up new york and throwing the statue of liberty's head around the city?!?!?

[quote name='ITDEFX']will you guys shut up about "its a LION" ..the guy doesn't say that.... who the fuck would make a movie about a giant lion capable of blowing up new york and throwing the statue of liberty's head around the city?!?!?[/QUOTE]

Someone awesome?

[quote name='linkpwns']Seriously, this movie should become a hardcore take on Pokemon. That will knock the socks off of everybody[/quote]

Oh god, that'd be a day one movie for me.

It's not "lion". And how the hell does that picture look like a lion?

The "source" in the above article posted also says it's "alive".

[quote name='linkpwns']
Seriously, this movie should become a hardcore take on Power Rangers. That will knock the socks off of everybody[/quote]
Fixed. Now that would pwn.

[quote name='martin8me']Fixed. Now that would pwn.[/quote]

Srsly.

And going back the lion thing...I think everyone knows the person really says alive and there really isn't a lion, it just really sounds like a lion instead of alive.

I definatly hear "it's alive"...

Anyway, look at the trailer and pause it in between the 1:11 and 1:12 marks... I swear to god there is something in the video. I can't pause it on the dot because youtube is gay. I'm gonna work on it to be able to get a still image for you guys. It is like as they are entering the door, there is an explosion, and then it kinda goes black and there is some purple face on the left hand side of the screen

Edit: NVM, it is just the purple light of the face

Also, can anyone see the time stamp in the picture that says "we'll miss"... it looks like 12:81... maybe 12:21?

And on the part where the camera is talking to the asian guy, when it moves to the left, you can see two pictures. At first I thought it was windows, but I realized the bottom one was tilted...
Any Connection?

[quote name='linkpwns']Also, can anyone see the time stamp in the picture that says "we'll miss"... it looks like 12:81... maybe 12:21?[/quote]
It's 12:01 (lolz, there is no such thing as an 81st minute of an hour, btw).

Also, some people think that there is another hidden number in the "We'll Miss" picture, see if you can find it:
551773iy3.jpg

551 773. See it?

Anyways, the pictures are a simple timeline: at 12:01, everyone's partying, having a good time, then at 12:36, a couple girls (or maybe just one, if you subscribe to the theory that that picture wraps) are looking quite horrified by something, and then at 12:48, a couple of girls are stopped dead in their tracks and covering their mouths (in horror, I guess) and a couple of guys are running towards the camera. And it's all happening in the wee hours of January 18th, 2008.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It's 12:01 (lolz, there is no such thing as an 81st minute of an hour, btw).

Also, some people think that there is another hidden number in the "We'll Miss" picture, see if you can find it:
551773iy3.jpg

551 773. See it?

Anyways, the pictures are a simple timeline: at 12:01, everyone's partying, having a good time, then at 12:36, a couple girls (or maybe just one, if you subscribe to the theory that that picture wraps) are looking quite horrified by something, and then at 12:48, a couple of girls are stopped dead in their tracks and covering their mouths (in horror, I guess) and a couple of guys are running towards the camera. And it's all happening in the wee hours of January 18th, 2008.[/quote]

I know that there is no 81st minute. I was seeing if there is a trick in there or something.

And as for those numbers, I noticed those, but there is also a 6 from
The weird lookin chick wearing the 9 tee-shirt

[quote name='deadite76']Taken from a post over at the AICN forums:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0716200...ls_of_fire_movies_farrah_weinstein.htm?page=1[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't believe the owner. If the producers are trying to make is a secret, either someone on the set said it's about an alien that destroys new york to throw everyone off because someone would talk or the owner is trying to get attention to himself. Like I said before in an earlier post, the producers should leave it at what we have right now... that teaser trailer... Nothing else until 1-18-08.

[quote name='Snake2715']I have foundmore proof that its a thundercats movie!!

costumethundercatszc0.jpg

!!!!![/QUOTE]

glad to know studios are willing to spending hundreds of millions of dollars to make the thundercats photorealistic and life like. :)

[quote name='jimfoley16']i bet someone 20 bucks when i was drunk this movie wouldn't have anything to do with the cthulu

i sure hope that it doesnt[/quote]

If you go to the Slusho website, in the history there's all sorts of stuff about the ocean, people disappearing, etc. So it seems like it would be some sort of aquatic monster type thing.

So basically the army gets there like an hour after the incident. Well it's impossible to tell really, these are just stills from the movie.

[quote name='Snake2715']I have foundmore proof that its a thundercats movie!![/QUOTE]
Did the Thundercats always wear chucks? And please put a black bar over the crotch area, it leaves nothing to the imagination.

Could this be the new teaser poster for 1-18-08?:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=22579

A user at unfiction posted the following interesting bit about J.J. Abrams' secret movie 1-18-08:

I just wanted to let you know about something I saw at a warehouse sale called Frank & Son's here in Southern California. Basically they sell collectible stuff like cards, comics, toys, etc. It is like a mini convention hall every wed and saturday.

Anyway, I was at a large booth where they sell movie posters. One of the posters there had a snapshot of the statue of liberty overlooking the city of new york. The statue was missing it's head and at the top in large white letters it said "Monstrous". The lower right corner had in smaller white letters, 1-18-08.

Fake? I dunno but that is what I saw. I also snapped some cell phone pics and if possible i'll try to upload them.

Here's the photo he took, which is very low-quality with a bit clearer version below it. Although many will think the title of the movie is "Monstrous," we think the text is more for a teaser poster campaign describing the monster in the film.

monstrous1.jpg

monstrous2.jpg

Ooooh....that's pretty sweet. I'm sure its for the movie, what else could it be...I also don't think that "Monstrous" is the title of the film, its probobly one of many posters and descriptions of the film.

CLEAR MONSTROUS POSTER PHOTO!

monstrous.jpg

you can see 01-18-08 and the Paramount logo on the bottom right hand corner

thanks luwho12345 at the unfiction forums!

bread's done
Back