CoD: Modern Warfare 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info-New Map Pack out June 3 (1200MSP)

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']I finally finished the single player campaign the other night (lttp a little) and I have to say while it was fun, it certainly doesn't warrant the high scores this game has been getting.

The frustrations of single player from the first Modern Warfare are still in this game. Unclear direction of where to go, infinite spawning of enemies until you cross some invisible border or time limit, huge swings in enemy AI from being completely brain dead to sniping you from halfway across the level as soon as an inch of your body is exposed, etc.

That being said, multiplayer makes up for it big time. I wouldn't care if Modern Warfare 3 had no single player at all. Put all of those resources into making multiplayer even better.[/QUOTE]

That was my frustration as well -- seems like every COD just has these sections in single-player where enemies respawn over and over until you knock off a certain number or get to a certain point. I found the SP to be inferior to COD4 as well, with a limp "story" and not a lot of content there. Fun while it lasted (under 6 hours on normal for me) but it wasn't worth the high scores the game got from every outlet.

On the contrary MP gets better more and more you play it. While I was getting my behind handed to me early on, I'm doing way better and am putting up better numbers than in any previous COD game...I love the perk options and once you get more used to the maps it's tons of fun. I prefer the design of the COD4 levels but it's still well worth it.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']That was my frustration as well -- seems like every COD just has these sections in single-player where enemies respawn over and over until you knock off a certain number or get to a certain point.
[/QUOTE]

Those parts did seem much less frequent than in past CoD games though. I still liked CoD4s campaign better, but I enjoyed MW2 a lot too. Of course I only play on regular, which lessens the frustration.

I do also like the MP better. I still suck with K/D ration of .51 currently--though that's up from a .39 a couple nights ago. I could have it higher if I just played Free For All as I tend to go positive their, while I go negative most of the time in team death match (more higher levels since I only play that with CAGs who are higher ranks most of the time) and in the objective games I tend to be very negative as I focus on capturing objectives etc.

MW2's campaign was fun and all, but I think it's really short. It reminds me of ODST's short campaign. I looked at my hours played and seriously around 6 hours of campaign gameplay.

I like how they added Spec Ops! That's really fun, but I think it would be awesome utilizing more co-op choices for campaign. I mean, you pretty much travel as a squad, it wouldn't hurt to add one more player.

When I first got the game, I was so excited, and when I loaded it into my 360, I was disappointed by the opening and the menu screen. They're making a huge profit margin off of this game, I was just shocked that the menu screen looked like a standard DVD maker.

Is it just me or are the 360 boxes that the game came in were flimsy compared to other video game boxes? When I took out the tiny game manual, I saw a cut-out of a circle. It's the same on the other side under the game disc. I understand it was for recycle purposes, but it's kinda weird holding an awesome game in a flimsy case.

[quote name='Atsura']
I like how they added Spec Ops! That's really fun, but I think it would be awesome utilizing more co-op choices for campaign. I mean, you pretty much travel as a squad, it wouldn't hurt to add one more player.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's my biggest gripe with the CoD series--that the campaign doesn't have co-op.

As you note, you're always on missions with a squad or one other person, so it would be very easy to implement.

The Gears of War games are my favorite shooter campaigns of all time--largely because they are fantastic in co-op--including local split screen. Those are the only shooters I've every played and beaten on the highest difficulty level--co-op was so good my buddy and I wanted to keep playing so we did Hardcore and Insane.

Another gripe is the split screen in MW2 is the smaller-offset screens ala Halo 3 or RE5 (which I hate) vs. having full half screens like Gears.

[quote name='LordKefka06']Any news on the golden weapon skins? My guess is that the challenge won't unlock till the 10th prestige[/QUOTE]

From what I can gather you cant get golden guns in MW2. The PC hackers got to 10th and they didn't get golden guns. The only stuff you get from doing prestige is a few new titles/emblems, some new challenges, and extra custom class slots.

[quote name='life.exe']From what I can gather you cant get golden guns in MW2. The PC hackers got to 10th and they didn't get golden guns. The only stuff you get from doing prestige is a few new titles/emblems, some new challenges, and extra custom class slots.[/QUOTE]:cry:. Gotta love IW taking out something thats good.:bomb:

Can someone please offer me some help with spec ops? Out of the 10 or so I have left, I can probably take on 1 or 2 of them by myself if I'm lucky.

To the guy who said he's glad there's no matchmaking... This is exactly why it sucks. I've been looking for people to play with for a while now but no wants to.

I'm on now if anyone wants to play.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Can someone please offer me some help with spec ops? Out of the 10 or so I have left, I can probably take on 1 or 2 of them by myself if I'm lucky.

To the guy who said he's glad there's no matchmaking... This is exactly why it sucks. I've been looking for people to play with for a while now but no wants to.

I'm on now if anyone wants to play.[/QUOTE]

youre on my friends list. message me when were on.

I don't get why people continue to complain about short campaigns. Honestly ask yourself how many games these days actually have a considerably long campaign? Even Bioshock, as amazing as it was, was only 8 hours or so.

[quote name='life.exe']From what I can gather you cant get golden guns in MW2. The PC hackers got to 10th and they didn't get golden guns. The only stuff you get from doing prestige is a few new titles/emblems, some new challenges, and extra custom class slots.[/QUOTE]

You didn't get gold guns from 10th prestige in MW. You got them from complete all challenges with each gun type. All assault rifle challenges got you the gold AK, all smg challenges got you the gold uzi, etc.

[quote name='slickkill77']I don't get why people continue to complain about short campaigns. Honestly ask yourself how many games these days actually have a considerably long campaign? Even Bioshock, as amazing as it was, was only 8 hours or so.[/QUOTE]

I bought this game for multiplayer, so the short campaign doesn't bother me. Personally, i feel like 20 hours of gameplay for a single player only game is the right amount. Bioshock was a bit a short but it was so amazing I didn't care, plus i was playing in the hardest difficulty so it always takes me longer then most people.

That's another thing I forgot to post. I would much rather have quality over quantity. I wasn't just referring to MW2 though. Cod 4, ODST, Gears etc.....have all had short campaigns. Obviously 99% of the people that bought MW2 bought it for multiplayer.

so, have we decided that hq is the best mode for points? I got into a team with 4 guys and they kept putting me on there team and I wasn't getting any kills but man those points added up.

MW2 on Veteran was surprisingly easy. The one part I died a bunch on was interestingly the last part (the boat chase), I just kept dieing from the heli until I got it perfectly.

[quote name='Atsura']
Is it just me or are the 360 boxes that the game came in were flimsy compared to other video game boxes? When I took out the tiny game manual, I saw a cut-out of a circle. It's the same on the other side under the game disc. I understand it was for recycle purposes, but it's kinda weird holding an awesome game in a flimsy case.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm pretty annoyed about this too. I'm not a collector or anything, but I take care of my games and enjoy looking at nice box art. And here comes Modern Warfare 2, missing plastic behind the disc. You could easily put your finger clear through the insert on the back side if you're not careful. My only guess is that 10% less plastic on the case equals another vacation home for Bobby Kotick. I suppose to get a proper case you need to buy the Super Mega Ultra Extreme Ultimate Collector's Edition.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep, that's my biggest gripe with the CoD series--that the campaign doesn't have co-op.

As you note, you're always on missions with a squad or one other person, so it would be very easy to implement.

The Gears of War games are my favorite shooter campaigns of all time--largely because they are fantastic in co-op--including local split screen. Those are the only shooters I've every played and beaten on the highest difficulty level--co-op was so good my buddy and I wanted to keep playing so we did Hardcore and Insane.

Another gripe is the split screen in MW2 is the smaller-offset screens ala Halo 3 or RE5 (which I hate) vs. having full half screens like Gears.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on all points. Infinity Ward fails to understand co-op concepts, and the engineering required to make proper splitscreen work. In spite of this I do feel that co-op gamers were thrown a decent bone with the Spec Ops mode.

On another note, Sleight of Hand seems a lot faster in MW2. I'm a compulsive reloader, and I actually find it quite useful due to the seemingly increased speed. I never used it in MW1 because it wasn't that much of an improvement.

[quote name='Trakan']You didn't get gold guns from 10th prestige in MW. You got them from complete all challenges with each gun type. All assault rifle challenges got you the gold AK, all smg challenges got you the gold uzi, etc.[/QUOTE]

I know...I meant they hacked to 10th prestige and unlocked everything and there was no golden guns.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']so, have we decided that hq is the best mode for points? I got into a team with 4 guys and they kept putting me on there team and I wasn't getting any kills but man those points added up.[/QUOTE]

Search and Destroy will probably always be the best way to rank up. 10k on a bad game and 20k+ for good games and that doesn't include challenges. Plus, SnD games are a lot shorter than other gametypes.

Did Infinity Ward just screw me out of 10,000 experience?

Looking at my challenges, I only needed 3 more bullet penetration kills with the FMJ on the Famas to completely finish every challenge for the gun. This gives you 10,000 experience upon completion. I play the game, and manage to (unintentionally) rack up 3 bullet penetration kills inside the plane on Terminal. HOLY SHIT, I think, as 10,000 XP is at least 1/3 of a level in one go.

Migrating host...

Unable to connect to server.

AtomicFFFFFF.jpg

Because of the host migration "feature", I just got bitched out of that experience, or so I think. There's no way for me to know for sure. Are you fucking kidding me?

[quote name='cdietschrun']Wow. 3 kills. Seriously. Relax.[/QUOTE]
10,000 experience for finishing every challenge. That is to say:

• 20 kills: Grenade launcher
  • 60 kills: Red dot
  • 15 kills: Silencer
  • 20 kills: ACOG
  • 40 bullet penetration kills: FMJ
The challenge shows as completed, so I can't redo it until I prestige. I can't tell, but I think I did not earn any of the 10,000 experience I was supposed to get for finishing that challenge.

CoD2 and CoD4 are my favourite FPS games but damn, i am unimpressed with MW2. Single player was pretty short as usual but the problem is it wasn't as good. It also had weird unresolved storylines, like what happened to the dead guy with the weird tattoos. Also, what happened with the Russian invasion of the US? And Makarov?

Then there's multiplayer. Terrible maps, horrendous lag problems and a shit matchmaking service. The new killstreaks are far too effective and abusable; they take away from the skill-based guns n' ammo side of the game. Plus the spawn points are fucked, which makes everything worse.

I've put 16 hours into the multiplayer and i'm already calling it quits. Really really poor. This won't be joining Halo 3 and CoD4 as Live multiplayer games that you will play for years and put hundreds of hours into. Those two games are the kings of multiplayer.

Special Ops are a great addition and a necessary one given the length of the single player, but you can tell they were added because the main game was so lacking. I mean, the campaign just feels so unfinished and the menus and everything else are too low in quality. The multiplayer ones in particular are completely unchanged since CoD4, whose menus, tables and overall presentation were already far below those of Halo 3.

Above average game, but not one of the greats. Infinity Ward will have to improve if they wish Modern Warfare to be regarded as among the elite gaming franchises.

Finally decided to play single player some and I see what the concern was about the airport scene. It's only a game, but honestly it really did disturb me more than I thought it would. I've seen worse in movies, but the interactive aspect was unnerving.

I finished the campaign last night and absolutely loved it. It did have some pretty big holes in the story and didn't make much sense at points but it was a powerful story and it kept me playing much later than I had planned to. Since I have been playing CoD 4 online for 2 straight years now, the multiplayer was overwhelming to me at first with all of the new killstreaks, maps, and weapons. It only took an hour or two to get used to it all and I'm loving it even more than the first one.

[quote name='Zenostar']... Infinity Ward will have to improve if they wish Modern Warfare to be regarded as among the elite gaming franchises.[/QUOTE]

The biggest release in videogame history says it already is among the elite. Just sayin'.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Finally decided to play single player some and I see what the concern was about the airport scene. It's only a game, but honestly it really did disturb me more than I thought it would. I've seen worse in movies, but the interactive aspect was unnerving.[/QUOTE]Agreed. I couldn't pull the trigger at all until I got to the armed confrontation portion.

[quote name='lordwow']So you got your last kill right as the game went to mitigating host?[/QUOTE]
Sort of. I got the last 3 kills I needed on the plane, and a little later it changed me from host to another person. This always kicks me out of the game. To my knowledge, I did not get any experience from that. Nothing popped up and said "challenge complete: 10,000 XP!" or whatever.

Did they ever explain
how the space station got obliterated? I'm pretty sure it is not possible to have a sonic boom in space. Because that only occurs when something breaks the sound barrier and sound waves don't travel in space.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarkNessBear']Did they ever explain
how the space station got obliterated? I'm pretty sure it is not possible to have a shockwave in space. Because that only occurs when something breaks the sound barrier and sound waves don't travel in space.
[/QUOTE]

Um, yeah. The nuke is set to go off in space which causes an EMP and makes everything go offline in D.C. where the U.S. and Russia are fighting.

[quote name='Malik112099']Loved the single player and am digging the multiplayer. I already need more maps - like 10 more....[/QUOTE]

Yeah...why is there no Virgina or DC multiplayer maps?

[quote name='Zenostar']CoD2 and CoD4 are my favourite FPS games but damn, i am unimpressed with MW2. Single player was pretty short as usual but the problem is it wasn't as good. It also had weird unresolved storylines, like what happened to the dead guy with the weird tattoos. Also, what happened with the Russian invasion of the US? And Makarov?

Then there's multiplayer. Terrible maps, horrendous lag problems and a shit matchmaking service. The new killstreaks are far too effective and abusable; they take away from the skill-based guns n' ammo side of the game. Plus the spawn points are fucked, which makes everything worse.

I've put 16 hours into the multiplayer and i'm already calling it quits. Really really poor. This won't be joining Halo 3 and CoD4 as Live multiplayer games that you will play for years and put hundreds of hours into. Those two games are the kings of multiplayer.

Special Ops are a great addition and a necessary one given the length of the single player, but you can tell they were added because the main game was so lacking. I mean, the campaign just feels so unfinished and the menus and everything else are too low in quality. The multiplayer ones in particular are completely unchanged since CoD4, whose menus, tables and overall presentation were already far below those of Halo 3.

Above average game, but not one of the greats. Infinity Ward will have to improve if they wish Modern Warfare to be regarded as among the elite gaming franchises.[/QUOTE]

they dumb down the multiplayer for too much. everything gun seems to shot like an automatic. killstreaks is retarded in that you only need 3 kills in a row to get a care package. then they added all the heat sensor and thermal scoops. (the funniest thing is watching campers with the heat sensors) and on top of that they added the stupid riot shield.

If you want to play a skilled game play World at War MP. If you want to run around like an idiot play MW2.

The spawns are the exact same as CoD2 and CoD4, if your having problems you need to recognize it is your team causing it not and not blame the game lol. The kill streaks are not "abusable" considering all of them can be shot down very quickly, in fact the second someone calls in air support you should be switching to a class with a rocket launcher to shoot it down.

The maps are weird as well. They are either average, bad or dire. None of them are excellent.

There are a ton of Brazil maps, even though it was only featured briefly in the campaign, and as far as i can tell no US maps at all. They stuck a US flag on Estate but wasn't that house the one in the Georgia mission?

I prefer the CoD4 maps definately.

[quote name='RandyTsai']they dumb down the multiplayer for too much. everything gun seems to shot like an automatic. killstreaks is retarded in that you only need 3 kills in a row to get a care package. then they added all the heat sensor and thermal scoops. (the funniest thing is watching campers with the heat sensors) and on top of that they added the stupid riot shield.

If you want to play a skilled game play World at War MP. If you want to run around like an idiot play MW2.[/QUOTE]

Damn yeah, forgot to mention thermal scopes. And freakin heartbeat sensors. Riot shields. AC130 gunships are piss easy to get to. Too much addons in this. Total noobfest. You can't stand still for a second in a map like Favela because its too clustered and you can't stand still in Wasteland because damn snipers are crawling round the sides spawn killing. Shoulda remade Brecourt, not Wasteland.

And whats the difference between Red Dot and Holographic? Can't see enough to warrant putting both in game.

I'm liking the MP a bit better--only put 10 or so hours into it though--personally.

But I'm a pretty casual/sucky player so I don't mind stuff that takes away from the "skill" and will be happy if it drives some of the more serious players back to other games. :D

Quick question - How many "____ Marksman" challanges are there? You know, Kill 750 People with M4A1, Kill 1000 People with M4A1, etc. I'm the 8th one right now (1000), and just unlocked everything. Not sure if it would be worth it to keep going with that gun to finish off the challenges, or if they are pretty much limitless.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Quick question - How many "____ Marksman" challanges are there? You know, Kill 750 People with M4A1, Kill 1000 People with M4A1, etc. I'm the 8th one right now (1000), and just unlocked everything. Not sure if it would be worth it to keep going with that gun to finish off the challenges, or if they are pretty much limitless.[/QUOTE]

You unlock Master challenges when you prestige so you might want to do prestige at least once before you worry too much about mastering guns but all of that takes way too long anyway.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Agreed. I couldn't pull the trigger at all until I got to the armed confrontation portion.[/QUOTE]

That's the way it was for me too. After seeing all that I didn't want to pull the trigger at all and just wanted the level to end, but you have to at the armed confrontation part just to progress in the game.

[quote name='freshzen']You unlock Master challenges when you prestige so you might want to do prestige at least once before you worry too much about mastering guns but all of that takes way too long anyway.[/QUOTE]
Well, I'm about less than 100 kills off, and a 10,000 XP boost would be nice, but moving on to the SCAR challenges would probably be a better use of my time. If I can get the M4A1 marksman completley done for less than 100 kills, I'll do that, but if there's more than the level 8 I won't even worry about it.

1 on 1 is still the same bullshit of people joining you then quitting because the ONLY thing people want to do is "Challenges!?" "Challenges!?""Challenges!?""Challenges!?". Ugh. Maybe, I just want to play some one on one?

bread's done
Back