Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

I was excited for tate and quicksilver being one in the same but I wonder if they're going to explain his powers via his weird looking gimzo belt? And his hair is fucking trash

Chances are at the end of the movie you're gonna hear deadpool's voice and then before it goes black you see a familiar eye and then it pulsates with yellow energy blast. BOOM DEADPOOL AND CABLE MOVIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've heard it goes downhill and Im not even a fan of the early stuff so far, so I'll read until th end of the Ellis run.

I'm having trouble with my current online comic book service (Mail Order Comics) I might have to switch. Any suggestions for an alternative?

I really cut back on my pull list. Only about 10 comics a month. I just haven't had much interest in reading most of my stuff. The only books I want to keep up with are Walking Dead, Fables, Saga, Guardians of the Galaxy, Spider-Man, All New X-Men, Mega Man, and a few others.
Pretty sure MOC has folded within the last few days.

http://icv2.com/articles/markets/27783.html

Anyone besides me amped for SDCC pre-reg ticket sales tomorrow?

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up. I had no idea. I noticed their website is down. Better start shopping around for a new place.

I'm having trouble with my current online comic book service (Mail Order Comics) I might have to switch. Any suggestions for an alternative?

I really cut back on my pull list. Only about 10 comics a month. I just haven't had much interest in reading most of my stuff. The only books I want to keep up with are Walking Dead, Fables, Saga, Guardians of the Galaxy, Spider-Man, All New X-Men, Mega Man, and a few others.
Atomic Empire has been good to me so far. There's no minimum requirements for how many comics you subscribe to, and you can set your order to ship on any specific Wednesday of each month at pretty much any time. You can also set additional orders to ship with your monthly subs, saving on shipping costs.

If they mess up days of future past, I'm gonna be pissed. Quicksilver looks like a scene kid. I hope they don't really screw it up. They already had the original characters in the previous movies, so IDK why they are changing up the storyline or why Bishop is involved. Maybe he is popular to current readers?

I just watched Justice League New Frontier and I have to say I really enjoyed it. DC seems to be doing the whole animated thing really well. (Yes I know it came out in 2007 or something :p)
Uhhh, no. Quicksilver looks like a 90's European clubhopper. Which is the point.

You could stop after Whedon's run and definitely stop after Warren Ellis' run.
Yeah. Seriously. I wouldn't even waste the time on Ellis' run. I love just about everything the guy writes, but Jesus, his run on Astonishing was shit. The fact that Bianchi was on art didn't help matters either. That guy's art just does not work for interiors.

So, I'm reading the Miracleman stuff that Marvel's putting out and so far it just seems like it's shit that could be written about the Sentry. I know that Miracleman came out a loooong time ago and these are reprinted stories, but they need to figure out a way to distinguish the two to the general audience or this is going to confuse just as many people as Superman/Captain Marvel seemed to used to. Also, they need to move onto actually using Miracleman in current stuff and reprinting the legendary story arcs in trade instead of this weird medley book.

So, I'm reading the Miracleman stuff that Marvel's putting out and so far it just seems like it's shit that could be written about the Sentry. I know that Miracleman came out a loooong time ago and these are reprinted stories, but they need to figure out a way to distinguish the two to the general audience or this is going to confuse just as many people as Superman/Captain Marvel seemed to used to. Also, they need to move onto actually using Miracleman in current stuff and reprinting the legendary story arcs instead of this weird medley book.
As Miracleman goes on you'll kinda understand how or why he won't fit in the Marvel universe. Especially by issue 14-15 when shit gets waaaaay brutal. Plus near the end of Moore and Gaiman's run Miracleman became less of a hero and more of an idea of God living amongst men kinda stories. So give it some time or you'll get a headache, because I remember feeling at the time I was not smart enough to read Gaiman's type of storytelling.

Uhhh, no. Quicksilver looks like a 90's European clubhopper. Which is the point.
It was a nice way of me saying "fag" (not meant in a homopohbic way, but in a 90s European way) without being offensive. IDK what you call the look. I just know there was a kid that was friends with my ex that looked like that and he called himself a scenester, scene kid or something like that (around 2007). I lived in the uk in the late 90s and never saw anyone that looked like that.

Either way I dont understand why he is involved. Yes he was in the original brotherhood, but I don't think they were involved in this storyline...it was mystique's brotherhood with blob, avalanche, pyro, and someone else. Maybe they felt the need to tweak the timeline because the original was supposed to take place in the future 2005 if I remember correctly.

In the "line" for Comic Con tickets. Bleh - they don't even tell you what number you are anymore. I could be number 250 or 65,000. So now I'm stuck just sitting here watching the page to see if it randomly updates to let me get stuff. I gotta keep an eye on it, because if I miss my 10 minute window it is back to the end of the line.

1st edit:

fuck - preview night is sold out. I guess I will have to find scalpers for that now.

2nd edit:

1 hour waiting. I really don't understand why they didn't give us numbers. I miss the frantic refresh at the right time to get in. I feel like this really screwed me because you had two hours to plop yourself in there. Also I'm not familiar with twitter, but it seems like the SDCC page is just deleting every single complaint or critique on how it is going off their twitter wall (either that or they are just disappearing some way).

3rd edit:

Finally got in. Got them aside from the Preview night. I will have to try again for them or pay scalpers I guess.

As Miracleman goes on you'll kinda understand how or why he won't fit in the Marvel universe. Especially by issue 14-15 when shit gets waaaaay brutal. Plus near the end of Moore and Gaiman's run Miracleman became less of a hero and more of an idea of God living amongst men kinda stories. So give it some time or you'll get a headache, because I remember feeling at the time I was not smart enough to read Gaiman's type of storytelling.
I ended up downloading and reading that stuff this morning and I see why he can't be mainstream Marvel U now, but I also don't see why he's worth owning now. Marvel pretty much had everything he is in the Sentry. Unless it was mainly for the reprinting and movie rights of the character, I just don't understand why you would want someone that you can't use regularly in anything in your main universe without cutting out the heart of your character.

Unless it's supposed to turn out that Hyperion in Avengers is actually Miracleman.

SDCC line was a total bust. Was in right as it opened. Didn't even get to buy them. Their Facebook page is littered with comments from those who clicked in after 9 and went straight to checkout.

One in our group made it to checkout only to be timed out. So we missed on preview purely for that reason.

I ended up downloading and reading that stuff this morning and I see why he can't be mainstream Marvel U now, but I also don't see why he's worth owning now. Marvel pretty much had everything he is in the Sentry. Unless it was mainly for the reprinting and movie rights of the character, I just don't understand why you would want someone that you can't use regularly in anything in your main universe without cutting out the heart of your character.

Unless it's supposed to turn out that Hyperion in Avengers is actually Miracleman.
THAT is what I'm confused by as well. Unless they plan on continuing the story after Eclipse folded since if memory serves me right, Gaiman had two issues that never made it to print before their abrupt ending. Maybe Marvel has a deal worked out with Gaiman since I believe he helped Marvel in the purchase of the character from Todd McFarlane so he may continue with some new stories and they possibly saw that as a way of getting money back maybe? Or Marvel is just rolling in that sweet Disney and movie money that they kinda don't care. Eitherway there is no way he can work in the Marvel universe without a huge amount of sacrifice and Hyperion would be pointless since that character hasn't done anything of note in Avengers.

THAT is what I'm confused by as well. Unless they plan on continuing the story after Eclipse folded since if memory serves me right, Gaiman had two issues that never made it to print before their abrupt ending. Maybe Marvel has a deal worked out with Gaiman since I believe he helped Marvel in the purchase of the character from Todd McFarlane so he may continue with some new stories and they possibly saw that as a way of getting money back maybe? Or Marvel is just rolling in that sweet Disney and movie money that they kinda don't care. Eitherway there is no way he can work in the Marvel universe without a huge amount of sacrifice and Hyperion would be pointless since that character hasn't done anything of note in Avengers.
True. However you look at it, nothing makes sense about the purchase right now. I hope there is actually a point to it, though.. It seems like it'd be a big letdown to let such a great character go to waste.

True. However you look at it, nothing makes sense about the purchase right now. I hope there is actually a point to it, though.. It seems like it'd be a big letdown to let such a great character go to waste.
Only place he could possibly fit in is Ultimate universe with him possibly being the next big Ultimate event (where they'll tease the destruction of the Ultimate universe and wuss out again) with Kid Miracleman since there's no character's like him with that level of power at that side of Marvel. Which has the best chance of them not ruining the character's and can make for a good story. That or just reintroduce him into that universe with some beats of Sentry and the normal comic until it becomes a God living amongst the Ultimate's scenario.

SDCC line was a total bust. Was in right as it opened. Didn't even get to buy them. Their Facebook page is littered with comments from those who clicked in after 9 and went straight to checkout.

One in our group made it to checkout only to be timed out. So we missed on preview purely for that reason.
I see you missed preview - but were you able to get the rest?

If you really want preview night (usually the best night to get the hard to find toys) I would recommend looking on craigslist the day before. All the SDCC workers sell their stacks of preview night passes. I bought mine from some worker for like 160 (or maybe 180). He seemed like he got nervous when I asked him about what he does there, like he thought I might report him.

Nothing yet. SDCC is reviewing our issue. We reported the blank checkout screen as soon as it happened. I imagine they'll resolve the issue.

I've got a way to get us exhibitor badges if it fails but there's no way in the world I'll spend 160-180 for just preview night. I'm not that desperate.

Nothing yet. SDCC is reviewing our issue. We reported the blank checkout screen as soon as it happened. I imagine they'll resolve the issue.

I've got a way to get us exhibitor badges if it fails but there's no way in the world I'll spend 160-180 for just preview night. I'm not that desperate.
Oh - I should've clarified. I meant 160 for a pair of them. I was typing without proofreading.

Even at 80 or 100 each, it was still too much. We did make it up and then some by grabbing an extra hard to find item at the Bandai booth which I was able to flip on ebay for like an extra 400.

Preview night 2013 was the worst it's been in years. It felt like a Saturday. Everyone had those stickers that let them in.

I'm hoping that they fix the issue. I really don't want to try again during open reg and/or resale. Especially since we had preview night tix in our cart.

Yeah. Seriously. I wouldn't even waste the time on Ellis' run. I love just about everything the guy writes, but Jesus, his run on Astonishing was shit. The fact that Bianchi was on art didn't help matters either. That guy's art just does not work for interiors.
I think Bianchi has gotten somewhat better over the years. He did a Thor: For Asgard limited series a few years ago and I thought his style meshed very well with the Asgardian setting. His style seems to be affected quite a bit depending on the type of story being told.

I think Bianchi has gotten somewhat better over the years. He did a Thor: For Asgard limited series a few years ago and I thought his style meshed very well with the Asgardian setting. His style seems to be affected quite a bit depending on the type of story being told.
I Agree on it depending on the story. On that note, he does not belong in New Avengers at all.

Only place he could possibly fit in is Ultimate universe with him possibly being the next big Ultimate event (where they'll tease the destruction of the Ultimate universe and wuss out again) with Kid Miracleman since there's no character's like him with that level of power at that side of Marvel. Which has the best chance of them not ruining the character's and can make for a good story. That or just reintroduce him into that universe with some beats of Sentry and the normal comic until it becomes a God living amongst the Ultimate's scenario.
I like the idea of that.

I like the idea of that.
The downfall is it makes sense and doesn't insult any readers. So it'll never work.

And off topic, but Ben McKenzie of OC fame is going to be Commissioner Gordan in the "Gotham" show. Not bad casting, but can he pull off the a salmon bar work out like Oliver Queen?

Oh and since I think we're nearly all in agreement of our love of DC animated movies. There's a sale at Best Buy for a good portion of them (including Batman: Dark Knight Returns Complete Edition and Flashpoint) for $9.99. For some reason they're not available for store pick up, but I figure it's just their system being stupid again.

They should be on a specially advertised cardboard endcap over near the blu's as well if you have trouble finding them. At least that's how I found mine.

They should be on a specially advertised cardboard endcap over near the blu's as well if you have trouble finding them. At least that's how I found mine.
A few links:

Dark Knight Returns Complete Edition (SKU #: 1725175): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dcu-batman-dark-knight-returns-bby-blu-ray-disc/1725175.p?id=2743001&skuId=1725175

JL: Flashpoint Paradox (SKU #: 9343093): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/justice-league-the-flashpoint-paradox-2-disc-blu-ray-disc/9343093.p?id=2695287&skuId=9343093

Justice League: Doom (SKU #: 4734753): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/justice-league-doom-2-disc-blu-ray-disc/4734753.p?id=2366606&skuId=4734753

Batman: Year One (SKU #: 3521364): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/batman-year-one-2-disc-blu-ray-disc/3521364.p?id=2243292&skuId=3521364

If people could list the other titles they find in-store, it would be easier to find them on BestBuy.com.

One thing to keep in mind is that some of these released as combo packs with BD & DVD discs, though they may only be single-disc BD releases at this point.

Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, All Star Superman, JL: Doom and Batman: Year One as showing as single-disc version on Amazon, with previous "Limited Edition" / "Special Edition" versions being the combo packs.

On BestBuy.com, there's an item on the Green Lantern: Emerald Knights that says it's a BD / DVD / DC combo pack, JL: Doom, Batman: Year One, All Star Superman, and JL: Flashpoint Paradox all say in the title that they're 2-disc versions though don't show the combo pack picture in the item description.    You might end up with a single-disc release that is BD only or you might end up with a combo pack, so eyeball it before checking out with it at the store.

The Flashpoint Paradox I got wasn't labeled as having the DVD and Ultraviolet anywhere on the case, but when I opened it up it had both the DVD and the code inside. Oh and there was no slipcase over any of the Flashpoint's.

Now I have all the DC Original Animated movies minus Justice League: War.

It seems as though Superman: Unbound is also marked at $9.99 on bestbuy.com, so I'll be trying to get that. I've been waiting for a price drop/sale like this. It's a good movie overall, though the art style takes a few minutes to get used to - and the ending was a little underwhelming, but still enjoyable nonetheless.

I Did finally watch Flashpoint. MUCH better than the main comic it was based on and it's still so weird to see Grifter alongside other DC characters. Mostly because he was a Wildstorm character and because everytime I saw him this song would start playing in my head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtSPJZ-qlhA

this is cool

BgYNUaOIIAAlD-c.png

Universal and Lionsgate sure as hell got the shortest end of that stick. Plus totally forgot about the Man-Thing movie or really lack thereof.

You can literally tweet stan lee right now that you want it and they'll give you the rights

Anyone read Superior? The start of this arc is fucking epic. If Marvel gets on their shit and starts doing animated movies again they absolutely need to adapt this.

Anyone read Superior? The start of this arc is fucking epic. If Marvel gets on their shit and starts doing animated movies again they absolutely need to adapt this.
Yeah, would love to see that get animated. One of my favorite's of Millar's creator owned stuff though I'd say second only to Nemesis since that series was so batshit insane of what basically amounted to Batman as a villain vs. Jim Gordan.

Yeah, would love to see that get animated. One of my favorite's of Millar's creator owned stuff though I'd say second only to Nemesis since that series was so batshit insane of what basically amounted to Batman as a villain vs. Jim Gordan.
Sorry, meant Superior Spidey, not Superior. I agree on Nemesis, though. Goddamn, I love that book. What he does to the guy's son and daughter is perfect.

nah haven't read anything since battle of the atom I'm so far back. Last spider man thing I read was when spiderman 9099 came over.

Is miles morales in 616 yet? What happened to him?

Sorry, meant Superior Spidey, not Superior. I agree on Nemesis, though. Goddamn, I love that book. What he does to the guy's son and daughter is perfect.
You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, sir. Bravo!

Speaking of which, wasn't Nemesis 2 suppose to come out sometime last year?

Anyone have any opinions on Bluebird? I haven't read Batman #28 myself yet, but I'm relieved to hear that she isn't Nightwing nor is she a different take on Robin. It leaves me wondering what will be done with those two superhero names/titles in the near future. 

And I had no idea that Zero Year would take this long when I decided to stop reading Batman until its conclusion. Must not have paid attention when it was announced. I can't believe it isn't finished yet! I bailed because I had no desire to read anymore Batman origins. I'm not complaining, mind you. It has given me a chance to check out some other stuff in the meantime. 

I really wish Batman: Eternal was starting sooner than it is.

bread's done
Back