Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

This has to be one of the corniest jokes I've ever read, figured this was the right thread for it.

What would Iron Man have been called if Tony Stark were Mexican?

Iron Manuel.

[quote name='manthing']616 Thanos is among my favorite villians ever. Ultimate version is horrible. Acheron is a total snoozefest.[/quote]

I also did not like how they portrayed Ronan in the Ultimate universe. In fact, I hate it - a lot.

In any event...

Random scene from Secret Invasion, Issue 2. I dig
Dr. Strangebolt
. :joystick:

the skrull version of cap and iron man is tight.

too bad they are going to get beat up by little kids and nick fury.

Ha ha, that is what you think. That is a skrull cap and a skrull iron man, they have potential to kick major ass. Look at the invaders in Avengers/Invaders #1, they totally owned the Tunderbolts in like 3 seconds.

I feel like he meant the hybrid Super Skrull that's in that picture. I love the look of the
Wolverine-Cyclops-Colossus Skrull. Totally looks better than the X-Men Skrull in Ms. Marvel.

[quote name='chasemurata']I also did not like how they portrayed Ronan in the Ultimate universe. In fact, I hate it - a lot.

In any event...

Random scene from Secret Invasion, Issue 2. I dig
Dr. Strangebolt
. :joystick:[/quote]
Wow, cool version of wolverine, cyclops and colossus skrull,is that doc ock/sandman skrull i see on the right?:lol:

[quote name='JolietJake']
Wow, cool version of wolverine, cyclops and colossus skrull,is that doc ock/sandman skrull i see on the right?:lol:
[/quote]

Just to clarify, I think those Skrulls are just wearing gear. I still thought it was neat enough to post, though. :D

Also,
Hank Pym and Janet could have been replaced all the way back in Avengers: Disassembled. Evidence is nothing more than speculation, but when Janet sees the destroyed Avengers Mansion, she says something like "It's beautiful." Also, Hank's favorite moment as an Avenger was the Kree-Skrull war, which he wasn't a part of. I know it's stretching a bit, but Bendis said there were little clues like that planted all over the place. I could see it. They could've been replaced when Pym went to visit her in the hospital when she was tiny-sized. It never gives detail on how the doctors were able to treat her at tiny size.

So, its all speculation, but I think it's interesting and makes sense.

Couldn't they copy things like colossus' metal skin though? Granted the cyclops visor and stuff is gear obviously, couldn't they actually do wolverines claws though? Those claws look way over sized though, unless they can manipulate the powers they're copying.

[quote name='chasemurata']Just to clarify, I think those Skrulls are just wearing gear. I still thought it was neat enough to post, though. :D

Also, Hank Pym and Janet could have been replaced all the way back in Avengers: Disassembled. Evidence is nothing more than speculation, but when Janet sees the destroyed Avengers Mansion, she says something like "It's beautiful." Also, Hank's favorite moment as an Avenger was the Kree-Skrull war, which he wasn't a part of. I know it's stretching a bit, but Bendis said there were little clues like that planted all over the place. I could see it. They could've been replaced when Pym went to visit her in the hospital when she was tiny-sized. It never gives detail on how the doctors were able to treat her at tiny size.

So, its all speculation, but I think it's interesting and makes sense.[/quote]

Damnit, put some of this in spoilers. I haven't read #2 yet.
I knew about Hank but not Janet.

Ok, I am just going to put my thoughts together.
Everyone who was skrulls on earth, were kidnapped and then taken to earth on the Shuttle that crash landed in the Savage Land. An example.....Mockingbird, she is not a skrull but came out of the ship in the Savage Land. So some people were replaced at certin times

[quote name='Rodimus']Damnit, put some of this in spoilers. I haven't read #2 yet.
I knew about Hank but not Janet.
[/quote]

Ah, sorry about it, Rodimus. I thought I did. I try to be extra-cautious with spoilers - just because I also don't like to be spoiled.

Where have we shown that
Jan is a Skrull? I thought that was just you speculating. Did I miss something and totally NOT pay attention?

[quote name='chasemurata']Ah, sorry about it, Rodimus. I thought I did. I try to be extra-cautious with spoilers - just because I also don't like to be spoiled.[/quote]

At least it wasn't a mega spoiler like "Bruce Willis is actually a ghost and the kid is the only one to see him."

Finally watched Iron Man. Very good movie. I hope everyone stayed till after the credits. fucking awsome!!! If they keep this up they'll have a franchise bigger than Spider-Man or X-Men.
It just clicked in my brain, Nick Fury showing up to recruit an Avengers team makes complete sense. They're already making an Ant-Man & Thor movie, plus the Hulk is just around the corner. If they're gunning for an Avengers movie this is the best way to do it.

[quote name='karsh']Where have we shown that
Jan is a Skrull? I thought that was just you speculating. Did I miss something and totally NOT pay attention?
[/quote]

'Twas speculation.

[quote name='chasemurata']'Twas speculation.[/quote]

Hahaha, okay good. I was like "Shit...Did I miss something in SI2 that I should have noticed?" Though I think it's pretty good speculation.
Though if I were to peg a Mighty team member as a Skrull, it's gotta be Black Widow. She's had either no thought bubbles in the actual issues, or they were very generic ones that could be a Skrull's. And I know Bendis said somewhere the thought bubbles were a big clue to Skrully-ness.

I dropped: Last Defenders, Avengers/ Initiative, New Warriors & New Exiles from my pull list. Avengers Initiative and New Warriors started out good, but recently they've gotten very boring. So I replaced them with Locke & Key, New Universal, & GeNext.

Can anyone recomend anything non-Marvel? I'd like to expand my horizans and read something different.

I am loving secret invasion so far. I just read the messiah complex trade which was awesome. i haven't been into an invent since sinestro corps hit last summer.

I just hope they keepy the secret invasion momentum going.

I've been considering picking up Amazing Spiderman or Hulk, and really know nothing about either of the series, I read the Civil War Spiderman trade, but nothing really before or after. Should I start getting either? Also am I missing anything not picking up the Ms Marvel Secret Invasion issue(s)?

[quote name='st0neface']I've been considering picking up Amazing Spiderman or Hulk, and really know nothing about either of the series, I read the Civil War Spiderman trade, but nothing really before or after. Should I start getting either? Also am I missing anything not picking up the Ms Marvel Secret Invasion issue(s)?[/quote]

ASM is meh. Not worth picking up.

Hulk is good, but slooooow.

Re: Ms Marvel
not really. The only thing that broke there was the non FF powered super skrulls.

And Machine man is very funny, a continuation of his Nextwave persona

[quote name='Rodimus']I dropped: Last Defenders, Avengers/ Initiative, New Warriors & New Exiles from my pull list. Avengers Initiative and New Warriors started out good, but recently they've gotten very boring. So I replaced them with Locke & Key, New Universal, & GeNext.

Can anyone recomend anything non-Marvel? I'd like to expand my horizans and read something different.[/quote]

If you're up for DC stuff, I'd suggest Batman. Morrison's run, in my books, has been amazing and so far, through only one chapter, I'm completely hooked into Batman RIP. I'd also say Justice Society of America is pretty damn good. The first arc was great, and the current arc has been pretty damn good so far. Final Crisis should be entertaining, mostly again due to Morrison's involvement. Basically, if Grant Morrison or Geoff Johns writes a comic for DC, it's worth reading. I completely forgot to even MENTION all of the Green Lantern stuff. I'd suggest going as far back as Rebirth for that, because everything Geoff Johns has done since then is AMAZING.

For non-Big Two stuff, I'd suggest Invincible. It's slowly become one of my favorite comics. Next issue is 50, and there's been talk that it could be a good jumping on point for new readers because, as the cover says, "EVERY THING WILL CHANGE", haha. Do you basically just read strictly Marvel stuff?

[quote name='Rodimus']Came across this Japanese X-Men intro, very cool:

[/quote]

Oh my God that was spectacular. What the eff X-Men cartoon was that for? It seemed to be for the 90's cartoon but was way more anime than that one was.

I especially loved the love triangle drama shot between Jean Grey, Cyke, and Wolvie. Oh the painful dramaz!!!

BTW, going back to the little Skrully event, I've got a love/hate relationship with this whole thing...great concept/story long overdue, but what is really irritating is that at the very least it leaves such a gaping huge plot hole for the future. Just another way for any dead character to come back by claiming "oh it wasn't me who died X years ago, it was a Skrull that had replaced me." Makes for an easy copout for writers in the future too..."you don't like what X character did because he turned rogue? Oh he was really a left over Skrull from Secret Invasion." Among other problems.

Seriously now, none of the people from the Skrull ship that crash landed in the Savage Land should be human. The Skrulls would have absolutely no use for keeping the humans alive once they had their genetic samples and/or replacements in place. Absolutely none...in fact it would be incredibly moronic not to kill the humans at that point. Okay so just disregard that little problem, suspension of disbelief I know, but you can also now use the Mar-Vell case anywhere you want.

"Well, I'm really a Skrull, but the Skrulliez screwed up during the manufacturing process and I really really really believe I'm Captain Marvel. So just pretend that I'm really truly Captain Marvel, at least until I show my true colors, even if we have to wait 20 years for it in Secret Invasion 2, where I will end up betraying my friends then wrestling with my Skrull self for control of my mind. It will make me a more profound and 3 dimensional character, in any case."

Now some questions...

1. What ever happened to the mutant Skrulls that Xavier sent off into outer space after the whole Apocalypse 12 affair? Hopefully they won't be forgotten about.
2. Any confirmation if the Captain Marvel who attacked Thunderbolt Mountain is the one from the recent limited series? So did he simply succumb to the Skrull programming finally, or is he there to root out some already infiltrated Skrulls?
3. While I hope it really is Mockingbird, jeeze she better be careful about going anywhere near Clint. He's been seriously sleeping around the last few years...Moonstone, Scarlet Witch, Echo...better get tested.

^ I would say 80% of what I read is Marvel. I figured I'd replace those books which I'm not liking with something new/fresh.

I'm a bit hesitant to jump into the DC universe since I have no clue what's going on with the story. I may check out the Batman if it's easy to get into.

[quote name='st0neface']I've been considering picking up Amazing Spiderman or Hulk, and really know nothing about either of the series, I read the Civil War Spiderman trade, but nothing really before or after. Should I start getting either? Also am I missing anything not picking up the Ms Marvel Secret Invasion issue(s)?[/quote]

I agree with manthing, don't bother with Amazing Spider-Man. It's not very good at the moment. Pretty much all that stuff you read in Civil War about Spider-Man is null and void. If you want to get a Spider-Man title how about Ultimate Spider-Man? And Hulk is good but it hasn't grabbed me yet. Still I think it wil get intresting with the next issue or two.

Glad you guys liked the video. It was the Japanese intro to the 90's X-Men cartoon. I guess they aired it over in Japan but with a diffrent intro. Anyways that was the 2nd opening. Here's the first:

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUjJywCyY2A[/MEDIA]

[quote name='Rodimus']I dropped: Last Defenders, Avengers/ Initiative, New Warriors & New Exiles from my pull list. Avengers Initiative and New Warriors started out good, but recently they've gotten very boring. So I replaced them with Locke & Key, New Universal, & GeNext.

Can anyone recomend anything non-Marvel? I'd like to expand my horizans and read something different.[/QUOTE]

DC books are kind of hard to get into sometimes, mainly because of new readers not understanding the multiverse concept...which really isn't that difficult. I agree with Karsh on Green Lantern and Justice Society, those books are amazing. Morrison's Batman has been a rollercoaster (much like all of Morrison's books) it has its ups and downs. I would definetely try the Son of the demon trade and see if you dig that. I would also recommend Blue Beetle, it's one of the best new books to come out in years right up there with Iron Fist and Nova to me.

If you are looking something out of DC and Marvel, definetely Invincible and Walking Dead as Karsh suggested. I would also try out some Vertigo titles like Y: The Last Man, Fables, Preacher, and Sandman. I can't remember if you said that you liked Cable or not, but if you do enjoy Cable, do yourself a favor and read Lone Wolf and Cub.

Here are a couple of theories based on Karkyco's questions:

1. What ever happened to the mutant Skrulls that Xavier sent off into outer space after the whole Apocalypse 12 affair? Hopefully they won't be forgotten about.

I seriously doubt Bendis knows about them and for that matter any of the Marvel editorial will bring them back. Perhaps they might show up in the Sercret Invasion: X-men book. I'm hoping Storm is reveal to be a Skrull along with Wolverine from Wolverine Origins and New Avengers.

2. Any confirmation if the Captain Marvel who attacked Thunderbolt Mountain is the one from the recent limited series? So did he simply succumb to the Skrull programming finally, or is he there to root out some already infiltrated Skrulls?

He is a Skrull with Captain Marvel's memories. So that makes Captain Marvel's return rather lame.

3. While I hope it really is Mockingbird, jeeze she better be careful about going anywhere near Clint. He's been seriously sleeping around the last few years...Moonstone, Scarlet Witch, Echo...better get tested.

I'm hoping it's her too because I hated when she died in Avengers West Coast #102. Well, you have to keep in mind that Clint thought that MB was dead all those years and a man gots needs you know what I'm sayin? Besides he's a new man and all those STDs have probably gone away since Wanda brought him back in House of M.

I've been reading Y: The Last Man TPBs, awsome stuff. And I have been considering Preacher. But getting into the DC Universe seems like it'll take alot of time and money. Since I never cared much for any of the DC characters I feel like I'll be jumping in blindfolded. But I hear alot of people saying good things about Blue Beetle, I just may check that one out.

Yeah, I would DEFINITELY put Blue Beetle on that list too. I forgot all about it, but that's been pretty awesome, especially the end of the last arc.

About 10-11 years ago I was once in a band called the Skrulls. Pretty much cut and pasted from the Misfits style...but we were dressed like Skrulls.

Ah, misguided youth.

[quote name='KaneRobot']About 10-11 years ago I was once in a band called the Skrulls. Pretty much cut and pasted from the Misfits style...but we were dressed like Skrulls.

Ah, misguided youth.[/quote]

I can't see how you guys didn't stick it out looking like this:

183628-skrulls_400.jpg

If it's worth anything I would've came to see you guys.

[quote name='Rodimus']I've been reading Y: The Last Man TPBs, awsome stuff. And I have been considering Preacher. But getting into the DC Universe seems like it'll take alot of time and money. Since I never cared much for any of the DC characters I feel like I'll be jumping in blindfolded. But I hear alot of people saying good things about Blue Beetle, I just may check that one out.[/quote]

Scott Pilgrim.

How is Morrison's run on Batman? When did it start? I haven't read Batman in a few years.

But I'm hesitant as I thought his run in X-Men was pure shite. Read some of his other stuff and can't say I'm that impressed. Some of it was good, but I thought he was overhyped.

Course, I think the same about Bendis, which will probably get me shot. I just think the guy draws out the story too much in an attempt to make you buy more books.

Anyone going to the Florida Super-Con next weekend? I've never been to a comic book convention but I may go to this and see how I like it.

Yeah, check it out. I went to the Wonder Con in San Fransisco once and it was a blast. I wish I could go to the Super Con, that sounds fun. Also, does anyone have World War Hulk #1,4, and 5 that they want to get rid of?? Oh, and a new break in the Secret Invasion story if you have read the Secret Invasion Fantastic Four #1. I totally forgot about it, remember
Human Torch(Johnny Storm) dated a skrull that in the Secret Invasion Fantastic Four #1 now wants to kill him

[quote name='Rodimus']I can't see how you guys didn't stick it out looking like this:

183628-skrulls_400.jpg

If it's worth anything I would've came to see you guys.[/QUOTE]

Bah...if my video camera wasn't broke I'd post a few stills from one of the shows. If nothing else, this is one of the few areas of the internet that could have been amused by it. We didn't go 100% all out like Gwar or whatever, but we had the face paint/grooved chin/flat black hair "helmet"/black outfit with some purple/boots.

I did find a flyer though...this thing is about 11 years old...Marvel & DC's lawyers would have had a field day with us if we had lasted long enough to get any kind of attention:

2yy605y.jpg

I had forgotten until I saw this that my stage name was "Super Skrull" :lol:

...aaaand some stickers we were going to get printed up when we got back together a couple of years later (never happened), opting to add the life-ending albatross of the "2099" name alongside it:

15gf4h2.jpg

More on topic, I'm thinking about hitting the Motor City CC tomorrow. I hate how the damn thing is 20 bucks to get in though, I'm not into comics nearly as much as I used to be so the entry fee is making me hesitate.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Bah...if my video camera wasn't broke I'd post a few stills from one of the shows. If nothing else, this is one of the few areas of the internet that could have been amused by it. We didn't go 100% all out like Gwar or whatever, but we had the face paint/grooved chin/flat black hair "helmet"/black outfit with some purple/boots.

I did find a flyer though...this thing is about 11 years old...Marvel & DC's lawyers would have had a field day with us if we had lasted long enough to get any kind of attention:

2yy605y.jpg

I had forgotten until I saw this that my stage name was "Super Skrull" :lol:

...aaaand some stickers we were going to get printed up when we got back together a couple of years later (never happened), opting to add the life-ending albatross of the "2099" name alongside it:

15gf4h2.jpg

More on topic, I'm thinking about hitting the Motor City CC tomorrow. I hate how the damn thing is 20 bucks to get in though, I'm not into comics nearly as much as I used to be so the entry fee is making me hesitate.[/quote]

Holy...shit. That was you???

I can't say I saw you play, but I remember the flyer. (I'd like to think I would remember seeing you, but that was during my drinking phase, so I'm not sure if I saw you or not.) My wife, who was dating a bouncer at Pharohs back then (and was there all the time with the owners) remembered you, though.

Updated OP. Nothing too big coming out this week. But I will check out : Wolverine Amazing Immortal Man Bloody Tales. I think this is just a one-shot.

[quote name='Rodimus']Updated OP. Nothing too big coming out this week. But I will check out : Wolverine Amazing Immortal Man Bloody Tales. I think this is just a one-shot.[/quote]

Yeah, that was last Wednesday along with the X-Men Origins: Colossus. I picked up both and they were all right, not the best, but interesting.

bread's done
Back