Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='Rodimus']Avengers Academy continues to deliver. There's nothing groundbreaking about it, but it's just a great read. I like all the characters. In fact I find the new recruits much more interesting than the old vets like Pym, Justice & Tigra. But of course more emphasis is put on the recruits.

But someone posted an interesting question in the end of issue #4, wondering if these characters (like many other "new" teams Marvel introduces) will fall into obscurity later on. The Order did this and it was a great book. Avengers Initiative also seems to be letting their characters fade away. I loved the first few issues but damn did it suck near the end, that and the characters weren't nearly as fun to read about.[/QUOTE]

Avengers Academy could possibly catch on like Secret Warriors did, but who knows. I love it, but I wasn't too keen on the pacing developed with the Thunderbolts. I have high hopes for the future of the series.

[quote name='GhostShark']Avengers Academy could possibly catch on like Secret Warriors did, but who knows. I love it, but I wasn't too keen on the pacing developed with the Thunderbolts. I have high hopes for the future of the series.[/QUOTE]

I liked the "Scared Straight" tie-in with the Thunderbolts. I could have done without the T-Bolts perspective of things however.

Deadpool on X-Force is a little odd. I don't have a problem with the character but he's never been the team player type. Look at his past with The Great Lake Avengers/X-Men/Initiative. Speaking of which they need to bring that team back.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I'm pretty scared Uncanny X-Force is going to suck. I fucking hate Deadpool...[/QUOTE]

I still absolutely love the issue that "debuted" Uncanny X-Force.

Shut it down Wolverine
No Problem Cyke
Alright, we gotta keep this shit under wraps

F-ing badass.

I had read a little bit of the previous X-Force incarnation but the way this one's starting out so far has me pretty interested. Not only that but the synopsis of the first storyline involves one of my favorite villains, even if the storyline seems a little similar to the first storyline of the previous X-Force.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I still absolutely love the issue that "debuted" Uncanny X-Force.

Shut it down Wolverine
No Problem Cyke
Alright, we gotta keep this shit under wraps

F-ing badass.

I had read a little bit of the previous X-Force incarnation but the way this one's starting out so far has me pretty interested. Not only that but the synopsis of the first storyline involves one of my favorite villains, even if the storyline seems a little similar to the first storyline of the previous X-Force.[/QUOTE]
I admit the way the team was kicked off was interesting, but as soon as the team was revealed doubt started to creep in. Plus the last run of X-Force was so good, it's really going to be hard to top that.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I admit the way the team was kicked off was interesting, but as soon as the team was revealed doubt started to creep in. Plus the last run of X-Force was so good, it's really going to be hard to top that.[/QUOTE]

I do see where you're coming from with regard to Deadpool. He's definitely not much a team player. I am really hoping we see a little bit darker side of Deadpool in Uncanny X-Force though.

[quote name='GhostShark']Uncanny X-Force is going to suck because it's Remender and not Kyle and Yost. That's the big problem right there.[/QUOTE]
Exactly.

I don't know if it'll suck, but I think it's safe to say it wont be as good.

Anyone else read Wolverine #1? I can't tell if this new Wolvie arc will be epic or shit. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

I picked up, but I doubt I will pick up anymore of the series. I'm not a huge fan of Logan and the first issue didn't hook me so I'm dropping it.

im still kinda shocked how they brought back punisher. seems kinda hokey but as far as the new xforce im excited about it but i still kinda wish theyd remove deadpool in place of someone else the guys in too many damn series.

[quote name='GhostShark']I picked up, but I doubt I will pick up anymore of the series. I'm not a huge fan of Logan and the first issue didn't hook me so I'm dropping it.[/QUOTE]

I'll give it a chance and hang in there for 1 or 2 more issues.

Really didn't like Uncanny X-Force, and I'm going to take a stab at the ending and say
Archangel kills Kidpocalypse and the Archangel personality becomes the dominant one

Deadpool's jokes were just god awful, though I thought the Wolverine/Fantomex bit was funny.

They had the blank cover variants at my LCS, hopefully to get drawn on at NYCC.

Uncanny X-Force was hit or miss for me.I enjoyed it though. Which is pretty weird...but let's get on to the amazing stuff this week like American Vampire 7, SHIELD 4 and Ultimate Thor 1. God bless Scott Snyder and Jonathan Hickman.

Avengers Academy was really great this week too.

[quote name='diddy310']Really didn't like Uncanny X-Force, and I'm going to take a stab at the ending and say
Archangel kills Kidpocalypse and the Archangel personality becomes the dominant one

Deadpool's jokes were just god awful, though I thought the Wolverine/Fantomex bit was funny.

They had the blank cover variants at my LCS, hopefully to get drawn on at NYCC.[/QUOTE]
Why must Deadpool make my life miserable?

[quote name='GhostShark']Uncanny X-Force was hit or miss for me.I enjoyed it though. Which is pretty weird...but let's get on to the amazing stuff this week like American Vampire 7, SHIELD 4 and Ultimate Thor 1. God bless Scott Snyder and Jonathan Hickman.

Avengers Academy was really great this week too.[/QUOTE]

I've been enjoying Avengers Academy so far. I loved Avengers the Initiative and Gage has kept some of the good vibe of that with a different spin that makes this unique as well. I'm pretty curious where the series is going, "reforming" the students has not been going well by any means...

I've also been enjoying Young Allies, MCKeever does young characters well. I prefer teams made up of new or underdeveloped characters over the current model of having the same dudes on multiple teams. I do wish Young Allies would go ahead and have them be officially a team. Are these characters just coincidently going to keep being on the same cases?

avengers academy was damn good this week but shit if xforce didnt dissappoint. i was hoping for the first few theyd just stick with basic assasinations and such and then after a few issues run into some big shit seems like theyre rushing a title that should be paced differently. also why isnt domino a part of the group she seems like a perfect fit.

[quote name='Rodimus']Nemesis issue #3 is fucked up. There's some messed up shit going on in that book.[/QUOTE]

oh yeah but after how boring the second issues was the 3rd definelty has me excited for the final one.

that 3 part superman series that just ended was pretty cool too. definelty a very cool what if concept.

[quote name='Rodimus']Didn't know it was only going to be four issues.[/QUOTE]

crap nvm that i checked that issue and youre right it didnt say anything about that being it. my bad lol.

[quote name='neocisco']I absolutely love S.H.I.E.L.D.

Love it.[/QUOTE]

Me too.

Hickman is slowly becoming my favorite writer. Not matter he does, he always amazes me. I'm not to keen on Chinese history and lore, but who was that Chinese Man talking to the Celestrial?

[quote name='diddy310']Going to make an attempt to get on the Adam Hughes sketch list at NYCC tomorrow, apparently he takes down all the names he gets in the first 10 minutes then draws them randomly, 200 dollars.

Here's what you get for your money...
[/QUOTE]
Woah. I really need to go to a con some time. How much do sketches go for normally?

I was looking over the IMDB for Batman Beyond and I realized something. If by the time that Terry found the suit it was 20 years after Bruce retired, and Bruce had used the same suit, that means the tech in the suit was probably 20 years outdated by the time Terry found it. 20 years for technology is a long time, you'd think Bruce would have updated it for Terry.

[quote name='Clak']I was looking over the IMDB for Batman Beyond and I realized something. If by the time that Terry found the suit it was 20 years after Bruce retired, and Bruce had used the same suit, that means the tech in the suit was probably 20 years outdated by the time Terry found it. 20 years for technology is a long time, you'd think Bruce would have updated it for Terry.[/QUOTE]

Batman's way ahead of the curve anyway. :)

[quote name='rapsodist']Batman's way ahead of the curve anyway. :)[/QUOTE]

yep considering how cnneced he is through his own company and through his superhero connections id always assumed the suits tech was way advanced. and even then after he finally relented to letting terry be batman im sure he updated a few things.

sucks that nightwing never made an apearance in the cartoon series.

[quote name='sotc1988']Woah. I really need to go to a con some time. How much do sketches go for normally?[/QUOTE]

Every artist is different, could be anywhere from free (quick sketch) to 20 to 500. Oliver Coipel was 500 for a full figure.

Wasn't feeling well so didn't get to go to as many booths as I wanted to, but got sketches from David Mack and Dustin Nguyen in addition to a few prints. Phil Jimenez did a really nice Black Adam one for me for free a few years ago.

Day 1's haul...

DSC02755.jpg

DSC02757.jpg

Sorry, kinda hard to pick up Dustin's sketch on camera.

[quote name='lokizz']yep considering how cnneced he is through his own company and through his superhero connections id always assumed the suits tech was way advanced. and even then after he finally relented to letting terry be batman im sure he updated a few things.

sucks that nightwing never made an apearance in the cartoon series.[/QUOTE]
Yeah that was disappointing, with Tim Drake being in ROTJ I had hoped Nightwing would show up.

[quote name='LXL_Guy']So isn't it now considered canon since Dick does show up in Batman Beyond's current 6 issue run?![/QUOTE]

i dunno but that story was fucked up as far as what went down. i thought hush could be
damian
but i guess i was wrong. still not sure how he is who he is though.

[quote name='diddy310']Every artist is different, could be anywhere from free (quick sketch) to 20 to 500. Oliver Coipel was 500 for a full figure.

Wasn't feeling well so didn't get to go to as many booths as I wanted to, but got sketches from David Mack and Dustin Nguyen in addition to a few prints. Phil Jimenez did a really nice Black Adam one for me for free a few years ago.

Day 1's haul...

Sorry, kinda hard to pick up Dustin's sketch on camera.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it really depends on the artist and the body of work you want them to do. Some just charge that much because they can or their art dealers make it that much. There was a insane amount of talent there to commissioned. I got sketch work done which ill post after the 3rd day.

Good haul you have there. If you are going to be there tomorrow go check out Mahmud Asrar and Yildiray Cinar. They have 2 awesome sketchbooks and I am so going to commission a steam punk piece from him. 10 bucks its a good deal.

also if you haven't seen Ryan Benjamin yet....do go see him. He is SICK NASTY with his work...also check out Rafa Alburqurque if you have a chance. He is also of the SICK NASTY!

ill be posting all my sketches and con pics up sunday night or monday night for everyone to see. man wish i knew more CAGS that were there.

[quote name='diddy310']Going to make an attempt to get on the Adam Hughes sketch list at NYCC tomorrow, apparently he takes down all the names he gets in the first 10 minutes then draws them randomly, 200 dollars.

Here's what you get for your money...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzxbmUa6PX0[/QUOTE]

Just going to chime in with a little more detail.

Its 400 full figure and 200 bust. yes he does take in the first 10 minutes. number 63 has equal chances of number 1 unless you win his guaranteed auction on ebay.

Didn't get anything sketched today, too crowded for me so I left early. Got a Kitty Pryde print from Mark Brooks, a print and sketchbook from Steve Epting, and a few prints from the Alice in Wonderland artists.

New artist on Ultimate Spider-Man. About time

And when did they nickname Jubilee "Jubbs"? It sounds naughty.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GhostShark']Ultimate Spider-Man has needed a new artist since it started over after Ultimatum.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. and here I thought it was just me.

I miss Bagley too, it's unbelievable that he did over 100 issues.

Sara Pichelli is the new artist. She's done a few things for Marvel in the past, mainly girly books. I saw a preview of it and it looks nice.

It doesn't look too bad after looking at the preview pages. I'll still read it since Ultimate Spidey is pretty much the only Marvel thing I read these days besides Incredible Hulk.

ok so how the hell is bruce wayne back already when last i checked they were only halfway through the diff series where people were looking for him and he was travelling through time with amnesia?

The whole schedule of everything is messed up because the main series, return of bruce wayne, is way late. I read "the road home red robin" issue and it was really shitty, so I'm just going to stick with the Grant Morrison written Batman stuff for now. I thought RoBW #5 was really amazing stuff and that last page has me wishing issue six was here already. I hope he can give some definitive answers on things because I'm still not clear on the whole picture, but some crucial pieces of the puzzle were added this issue.

bread's done
Back