Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='Rodimus']Am I the only one who sees a glaring similarity between the recent Batman & Captain America stories?[/QUOTE]

I saw the comparisons. :p

[quote name='Rodimus']Am I the only one who sees a glaring similarity between the recent Batman & Captain America stories?[/QUOTE]

lol it is pretty close even down to him
letting the guy who took over for hi while he was gone continue.
but overall all i think each company copies the other alot of times.

[quote name='neocisco']Bruce Wayne 6 will be out 10/27 so there won't be a long wait.[/QUOTE]
You misunderstood. Issue four of ROBW came out in July. Issue five came out yesterday on October 13th. It is VERY late.

The similarities start and end with the words "time travel." It's really handled quite differently and I think much better in Return of Bruce Wayne. I was quite disappointed in Captain America Reborn.

Captain America is more awesome. Just sayin'.

Also, Emerald Warriors is my book of the week. Review later. Guy Gardner is awesome.

Not sure if i'm liking the new Spidey arc, may just be the art that's bothering me (especially with those awesome Djurdjevic covers around it) though
I enjoyed Spidey's rampage that caused a Hypno Hustler cameo and snapping Shocker's forearm in two

[quote name='diddy310']Not sure if i'm liking the new Spidey arc, may just be the art that's bothering me (especially with those awesome Djurdjevic covers around it) though
I enjoyed Spidey's rampage that caused a Hypno Hustler cameo and snapping Shocker's forearm in two
[/QUOTE]

i liked that one to but youd think after all the recent kraven shit hed have been badass tough already. and im still annoyed that theyre pushing him to be with that cop chick and not mrs marvel.

Yeah, I gave it three issues and the art (and story, really) are just not working for me. I can't wait for Big Time though next month.

[quote name='lokizz']i liked that one to but youd think after all the recent kraven shit hed have been badass tough already. and im still annoyed that theyre pushing him to be with that cop chick and not mrs marvel.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear I'm not the only one who's not a Carlie fan. Ms Marvel would be a better read. I really enjoyed the Spidey Dark Reign one-shot, I like the idea of Ms. Marvel having a crush on Spidey.

[quote name='wesdw369']yay for both bruce and dick being batman and expanding it into a global network with multiple batmen[/QUOTE]

It is an interesting new status quo and I think Morrison will help make it work well. I'll be interest to see where it goes. Some actual change is nice, although it probably will go away whenever Morrison leaves the Bat Universe.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']More like him having a crush on her. He is the one that asked her out on a date back in the Ms. Marvel series ;)[/QUOTE]

he did ask her out but during that fall of asgard thingy she got taken over by the venom symbiote and it mentioned something about her having strong feelings towards spiderman.

plus if they dated he wouldnt have to go through the whole hiding his id and alter life from someone hes with. carlie is just gonna end up being more chick drama. where did you go , what are you doing , what are you hinding from me? hes been stuck in that rut for to long and with too many women. hell id rather him be with his bitchy roomate over carlie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you guys think Big Time will be easily accessible? I've found the Brand New Day saga to be wildly inconsistent in quality, and more often than not, I was just not enjoying the spider-man stories. I'm hoping that Big Time will be better because of the definitive creative team, I'm just wondering if I'll be lost because I haven't been reading it lately.

[quote name='sotc1988']Do you guys think Big Time will be easily accessible? I've found the Brand New Day saga to be wildly inconsistent in quality, and more often than not, I was just not enjoying the spider-man stories. I'm hoping that Big Time will be better because of the definitive creative team, I'm just wondering if I'll be lost because I haven't been reading it lately.[/QUOTE]

I haven't been reading it, but what I heard and saw at NYCC it really made me interested in starting to read the book now. I suppose it will be handled as a fresh new start for Peter, so I think it will be a good point for anyone new or and old fan to get into the book again. I mean the only Spidey book I have been reading consistently has been the Ultimate version....but that might be changing.

well at least we know, for now, there wont be any more will they wont they with mj and peter. to be honest ive never liked her but with him being an avenger now youd think hed take advantage of that ( financially/scientifically) maybe see if pym cant make him a costume that wont always get destroyed. id also like to see him use his science skills more.

Big Time should be easy to jump into. New creative team and new stories/old villains returning. It seems to be heavily reliant on cameo characters. For example, the Avengers, Black Cat and the Fantastic Four.

Hey all

Just getting back into comics, and I am loving alot of the more ridiculous series out there (Marvel Zombies/Apes, Chew). Can anyone recommend me some more offbeat comics like these?

[quote name='GhostShark']Morning Glories. Read Morning Glories and love it.[/QUOTE]

Morning Glories has been pretty interesting so far. The writer, Nick Spenser, has a new series coming out in January, Infinite Vacation a well as he will be writing a couple of DC books (agents of THUNDER and Supergirl.

Chew's an excellent book. Nice job picking up on that one. I'd recomend Nextwave Agents of HATE. Hilarious and over the top. Written by Ellis and penciels by Immonen so you know it delivers. Another book along the same lines is GLA (Great Lakes Avengers) Another super-hero team type parody. I think they killed off a character in each issue.

Got my copies of Walking Dead Compendium and Scott Pilgrim vol.5 & 6 today. I wasn't a fan of Scott Pilgrim vol.1 but I'm glad I stuck with it, I'm really enjoying it.

Did anyone else see the Tomasi run on Batman and Robin is being bumped back for a 3 issues fill in run by Paul Cornell? I'm actually happy about that change, as I quite liked Cornell's Captain Britain and the MI 6 and am not crazy about Tomasi. Its keeping me holding onto Batman and Robin for now.

I also am starting up on the new Spider-man status quo. Started the subscription early so I am seeing the end stuff released this month of brand new day. I like Slott and I think one author is going to help the series be stronger (Slott and Kelly were the only Brand New Day authors whose stories I liked with any consistency of the issues I read)

The Superman story is essentially a standalone story. It's more comparable to the Ultimate line and is not a reboot of the mainline character.

[quote name='Grico']Did anyone else see the Tomasi run on Batman and Robin is being bumped back for a 3 issues fill in run by Paul Cornell? I'm actually happy about that change, as I quite liked Cornell's Captain Britain and the MI 6 and am not crazy about Tomasi. Its keeping me holding onto Batman and Robin for now. [/QUOTE]

If you like Paul Cornell's work you should definitely check out Soldier Zero, the new Stan Lee book that Cornell is writing. It's a very interesting premise and I don't think you'll be disappointed. The first issue just came out last week.

I ordered a copy of earth one superman from amazon mainly because it was on sale for the price of ~$10. I think the "Twilight/emo/hipster" comparisons are being made by lowest-common-denominator websites that really have no place reporting on comics. Seeing a young Superman wearing a hoodie doesn't really make me angry like some people I guess. I'd also recommend that everyone get the reprint of Blacksad, an awesome french comic that Dark Horse brought over here.

Superman: Earth One sold out on Wednesday and DC has already announced it's going to a second printing. Sellouts that happen this fast are rare but on a $20 book it's essentially unheard of.

[quote name='neocisco']Superman: Earth One sold out on Wednesday and DC has already announced it's going to a second printing. Sellouts that happen this fast are rare but on a $20 book it's essentially unheard of.[/QUOTE]
This explains why there was a delay on my order from Amazon. I should get it tomorrow. I preordered, it just looked interesting and it popped up in my gold box. Reviews seem to be unfavorable though.

Does anyone have this? The Walking Dead Compendium?
http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Compendium-One/dp/1607060760/

Its a great deal but I am worried that it may not be the easiest read since it looks as thick as a phonebook.

I recently finished the 6th trade for Walking Dead (through issue 36) and it actually carries itself over the long haul very well. I don't recommend burning through large portions of it all at once, maybe just 6 issues (132 pages) at a time. Anything would get tedious when you try to consume the majority of it at once.

Nice, thats good to know. I definitely have confidence in the series after all the rave reviews and seeing it recommended here many times as well.

I was actually more curious if anyone had the compendium specifically because the format seems like it may come with its problems. I worry the binding on a 1088 page thick book might make it fragile and prone to rip. Though $35 for 8 volumes makes it seem like a definite buy.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Nice, thats good to know. I definitely have confidence in the series after all the rave reviews and seeing it recommended here many times as well.

I was actually more curious if anyone had the compendium specifically because the format seems like it may come with its problems. I worry the binding on a 1088 page thick book might make it fragile and prone to rip. Though $35 for 8 volumes makes it seem like a definite buy.[/QUOTE]

Would make an excellent door stopper. I was looking into the compendium and the book is expensive. I'm not sure how I missed out on this series (probably cause I don't read comics), but definitely interested in at least reading couple of issues cause of the show.

I've had the Walking Dead Compenduim for a few weeks now and I'm about 75% done with it. For the price Amazon has on it I highly recommend it. If you were a fan of the show and can't wait till the next episode then by all means give it a shot.

Has anyone read Earth-One Superman yet? I received and read it today and have to say it was really awesome. I can't imagine why anyone would give it a negative or mediocre review. Interested to hear others' opinions.

Ultra-traditionalists who hate anything that's different than what they're used to. It's particularly ridiculous to hate on something that has no effect at all on the true Superman, not to mention the fact that some of the people crapping on the story haven't even read it.

[quote name='sotc1988']Has anyone read Earth-One Superman yet? I received and read it today and have to say it was really awesome. I can't imagine why anyone would give it a negative or mediocre review. Interested to hear others' opinions.[/QUOTE]

i liked it. although i wish they would have let him have a selfish period for a few episodes and then bring him crashing into his destiny
.( seeing him try and proft off his abilities was cool.)

[quote name='manthing']It's not bad, just unnecessary.[/QUOTE]

It's comics, what's really necessary?

DC's quarterly report for this period will say it's absolutely necessary. This book is a huge hit.

bread's done
Back