Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

Honestly if I don't like the direction I might be done with Ultimate Spidey. I only read it because I like this version of Peter Parker.

[quote name='lokizz']maybe the clone fury had locked up. or maybe harry osbourne.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if the spider man of now is a clone. I hope it's not like that, but it seems like a common trend. The new costume is really cool though.

I lulz at the end of Ultimates vs. with
Punisher accidentally shot spider man with a .50 cal :p

And wtf at the end panel on Xforce #7. They sure do like to end a storyline with some pop and interest for the next story line.

I did like how the Deathklok story wasn't to long. It was to the point, interesting and ended quick.

[quote name='ppself']I wouldn't be surprised if the spider man of now is a clone. I hope it's not like that, but it seems like a common trend. The new costume is really cool though.

I lulz at the end of Ultimates vs. with
Punisher accidentally shot spider man with a .50 cal :p

And wtf at the end panel on Xforce #7. They sure do like to end a storyline with some pop and interest for the next story line.

I did like how the Deathklok story wasn't to long. It was to the point, interesting and ended quick.[/QUOTE]

i like ultimate spidey but i did laugh at how he was "killed" but i wont believe hes truly dead till they drop the body in the coffin and aunt may flips out and gets committed.

[quote name='lokizz']i like ultimate spidey but i did laugh at how he was "killed" but i wont believe hes truly dead till they drop the body in the coffin and aunt may flips out and gets committed.[/QUOTE]

They should pull a Batman and leave him paralyzed.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']DC is doing an animated version of The Dark Knight Returns.[/QUOTE]

Why? We already have a movie.

Why not just do a new story or a story that hasn't been adapted to video.

Spawn vs. Batman? :)

[quote name='LXL_Guy']Can't wait to get my hands on Brightest Day #24 just to see where this all lead up to.[/QUOTE]

lol to a very weird place.......

When you say captain planet, they don't all combine their powers to make some sort of construct, do they?

Please say no. I just started reading sinestro corps, I'd hate to think this awesomeness leads up to that.

[quote name='Clak']When you say captain planet, they don't all combine their powers to make some sort of construct, do they?

Please say no. I just started reading sinestro corps, I'd hate to think this awesomeness leads up to that.[/QUOTE]

Not yet, but none of the events that followed Sinestro Corps have been anywhere near as good.

[quote name='Clak']A DKR movie would be awesome as long as they keep the look of the comic.[/QUOTE]

DKR is a good story for sure, but the art is terrible.

Have they/are they doing something where each light spectrum has some of being as it's source? Like Parallax for fear/yellow, Ion for green/willpower? Always figured they wouldn't stop with those two.

[quote name='whoknows']DKR is a good story for sure, but the art is terrible.[/QUOTE]
If you say so, I thought it fit perfectly. The look of that short from the animated series was damn close, something along those lines would be good.

[quote name='Clak']Have they/are they doing something where each light spectrum has some of being as it's source? Like Parallax for fear/yellow, Ion for green/willpower? Always figured they wouldn't stop with those two.[/QUOTE]

yeah each color has a being/entity connected to it.

[quote name='whoknows']DKR is a good story for sure, but the art is terrible.[/QUOTE]

When I was younger I didn't like FMs art, but when you see how his style evolved (/devolved) over time it is easier to appreciate the look.

[quote name='Clak']If you say so, I thought it fit perfectly. The look of that short from the animated series was damn close, something along those lines would be good.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I don't know how I missed that episode!

Heh, I remember that episode. I didn't realize when I was watching it, that it was an based off DKR. And anybody who doesn't think Frank Miller is a good artist might be surprised by his work in 300, Sin City, and Ronin. Sin City is noir perfection, just seeing the movie isn't good enough, you've gotta read the comic too.

And I don't like what's going on in Brightest Day. I hold Alan Moore's run in the highest reverence, but I'm hoping they can do something interesting with Swamp Thing. I'll keep an eye out but I'm not expecting anything THAT great.

Man, they sure are pushing them X-forces out a lot lately. They have had an issue release every week, for the last 3 weeks.

Not complaining though. The series has been entertaining so far.

A lot of those are the .1 issues that Marvel started doing this year plus some books are occasionally scheduled for 2 regular issues in a month.

My daughter wants to dress as Robin for free comic book day. She is after that Young Justice/Batman BATB comic among a few others. I'm totally gonna let her. :)

To anyone collecting Walking Dead. There are 3 covers coming up for TWD 85. You should be able to get 2 locally and the third will need to be imported. Adlard did a special cover for a shops 20th anniversary.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread to get everyone's thoughts on the DC Universe "Reinvention"

If it truly is a reboot of the universe in a way I'm sad to see the current continuity end but in another way I'm kind of happy to see an actual ending point. I think I've been looking for a way out of comic books for a while now as they are just becoming such a money pit for me.

I'm not saying for certain that I'll be getting out of comics with this but I really don't think I feel like getting to know a whole new universe. As far as Marvel has gone lately, there have been some bright spots but ultimately I think I'm ok with ending my reading soon there as well (perhaps when Fear Itself ends?). There just isn't anything that has me hooked anymore in the way I couldn't wait to get my new comics every Wednesday.

One article on Newsarama framed the issue as the fact that we don't own this characters, DC does and this is the direction they want to take them. Furthermore, the article stated that we would still be able to enjoy the old stories. That's true but when you read the same character for years on end, a dramatic re-invention of the character completely ignoring the previous stories and adventures it effectively ends your journey with that character. I think back to Spider-man with the whole One More Day/Brand New Day storyline where they basically completely gutted 20+ years of Spider-man characterization. Sure he was able to get back to his "roots" but all the growth that we had seen from Spider-man was gone. I had really enjoyed the more adult Spider-man that had been developing up until that point. That's really what the stories in the comics are about, seeing where the character goes. If they completely re-boot the universe, they're basically doing a Spider-man on a grand scale.

Overall, I'm just not sure yet. I can completely understand both companies' concern with sagging sales but I really can't be the only one with the sentiment of seeing all the new #1's not as a jumping on point but as a jumping off point. Will those with sentiments similar to mine be outweighed by potential new readers? Not sure, time will tell.

I find the restart interesting enough for me to buy a handful of the #1's. I've only been buying trades for the past 4-5 years. Personally I'm hoping for the return of Nightwing, even though I'm enjoying Dick as Batman.

Has anyone checked out the the X-Men anime yet? I started it today and it looks fantastic.

The only comics I'm currently reading are Batgirl and Red Robin, which I both love, so needless to say I'm not pleased. I grew up reading about Tim Drake and Stephanie Brown and to see them just erased from existence sucks, to say the least. Meh, guess I'll save $6 a month.

The Reboot is going to make things a lot clearer. There won't be 6 billion Batman and Green Lantern books out there.

Everyone should also pick up Shinku #1 from Image. Good stuff.

[quote name='GhostShark']The Reboot is going to make things a lot clearer. There won't be 6 billion Batman and Green Lantern books out there. [/QUOTE]

If you don't think there will still be multiple Batman and GL books then you're all kinds of loopy.

[quote name='GhostShark']The Reboot is going to make things a lot clearer. There won't be 6 billion Batman and Green Lantern books out there.

Everyone should also pick up Shinku #1 from Image. Good stuff.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='neocisco']If you don't think there will still be multiple Batman and GL books then you're all kinds of loopy.[/QUOTE]

More or less the correct answer. While there is an excess of Batman books lately there is only 3 Green Lantern books currently running. I'd really be shocked if there wasn't both a Batman #1 and a Detective Comics #1, similarly to what will happen with Superman. The thing with Green Lantern books though is that it makes sense because each GL book features a different character.

While the reboot will make things more clear in the short term, if the Ultimate universe has taught us anything its that it doesn't take too long for even a small new universe to get convoluted. The same will happen with the new DC Universe.

[quote name='GhostShark']The Reboot is going to make things a lot clearer. There won't be 6 billion Batman and Green Lantern books out there.

Everyone should also pick up Shinku #1 from Image. Good stuff.[/QUOTE]

I went and grabbed Shinku just because of you.

It was pretty good.

[quote name='slowdive21']I finally got around to reading BONE (I'm on book 6). I have the early comics from when they came out, but I checked out the trades from the library.

Oh I found some decent comics at a garage sale...The pics are near the bottom of the post

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8507575&postcount=561[/QUOTE]

Son of a bitch!! Grade and or sell the multiples of the Nick Fury Book. Everything else is great if its better than Very Good condition.

Haven't read any comics an a few weeks but I got a huge box of comics today. Can't wait to read Fear Itself, Mega Man #1, and a ton of Avengers Academy that I missed.

Good to know, I got 4 issues I need to catch up with.

Anyone watching the Avengers: Mightiest Heroes cartoon? I rented vol 1 which has the first 7 episodes. I really liked it. Well written and very true to the comics. Wolverine being in Captain America's squad was a nice touch. All the characters, even the minor ones like Agent Woo, Jane Foster & Jimmy Rhodes are nice to see in their. Can't wait for vol 2.

Avengers Academy has been the best Avengers book since New Avengers volume 1 started years ago.

I've always wanted to check out the Avengers cartoon. Glad it's coming to Netflix soon so I can finally give my 2 cents on it.

Damn, the new Superman rebooted costume is ugly:

sm_cv2.jpg

Don't reboot the boots DC.

Some of these are also real head-scratchers, like Justice League Int'l:

jlifinalcover1.jpg

:rofl: Guy Gardner and Batman on the same team, yeah right, unless of course they're completely changing characterizations as well...

:sigh:

Depends if it's bruce as Batman or not. Although DC has announced a new Nightwing #1 book.
They're also de-aging superman and makiing him single again, I believe.

[quote name='eldergamer']Depends if it's bruce as Batman or not. Although DC has announced a new Nightwing #1 book.
They're also de-aging superman and makiing him single again, I believe.[/QUOTE]

Brand New Day Spider-man says hi

I hate to be the stereotypical pessimistic comic book nerd but the more I hear and see, the more this looks like a complete disaster.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Damn, the new Superman rebooted costume is ugly:

sm_cv2.jpg

Don't reboot the boots DC.
[/QUOTE]

That looks awful.

At least its not as awful as the Superman reinvision DC had back in the 90's

SupermanBlue.jpg

bread's done
Back