Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='Rodimus']They really are a joke. Every time someone dies I instantly think when and how they'll be brought back. Is Thor alive yet or was he ever really dead?[/QUOTE]

Last I remember was that he sacrificed himself (in Fear Itself) but his place in history was replaced by Tanarus and only kid Loki knows what's up. That's all I know, but I don't read a lot of Thor stuff. The old timey way they all talk is a turn off for me.

Thor will be back since Gods can't really die and in a prophecy, he is said to come back. And given that there is an Avengers vs X-Men teaser with fighting Storm, I think it's safe to say that will see him back soon.

My guess is that he will be back at the end of the Osborn vs Avengers saga and put an end to that before AvX.

Thor was back in Fear Itself 7.2 as was Winter Soldier. Ahhhh I miss the days of saying that dood is Bucky Dead! I wonder what Bucky Dead has been replaced by? hmmm Uncle Ben Dead! Even though an interdimensional evil Uncle Ben did show up in Friendly Neighborhood. Maggot Dead, yeah nobody wants to bring back that guy! Except maybe when Bendis takes over X-men and tries to make dumb lame characters into really cool characters cause the man thinks he is a comic God!

[quote name='evilomar']Thor was back in Fear Itself 7.2 as was Winter Soldier. Ahhhh I miss the days of saying that dood is Bucky Dead! I wonder what Bucky Dead has been replaced by? hmmm Uncle Ben Dead! Even though an interdimensional evil Uncle Ben did show up in Friendly Neighborhood. Maggot Dead, yeah nobody wants to bring back that guy! Except maybe when Bendis takes over X-men and tries to make dumb lame characters into really cool characters cause the man thinks he is a comic God![/QUOTE]

ultimate spiderman dead ? so far the first usm has stayed dead.

The Ultimate line has been relatively decent on leaving characters dead. The Ultimatum event, while garbage as a whole, wiped out a lot of people that haven't come back yet. The two characters that I can think of having been brought back in the Ultimate Marvel history would be Gwen Stacy and Beast. That's about the only two I can think of in that line that have been brought back, although I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Ultimate Blob is back. Ultimate Prof. X looks to be back in current issues of Ultimate X-men. As far as unltimate spidey, give it time. Maybe by the time the movie comes out.

Ultimate Blob is a different person. The kid of the blob but different person. I was going to mention the return of
Prof-X and Wanda
but felt it was spoilery. That and I figure it isnt what it appears.

Any CAGs out there in the Oakland area interested in going to Image Expo? I'd be willing to foot a Friday or Saturday admission in order for you to grab me the Walking Dead, Chew, & Thief of Thieves exclusives. PM me if interested.

(note - I'm not flying anyone there. This would be for someone in the area that may not have been going)

I'm a complete noob when it comes to comic books; I enjoy a majority of the movies (Batman, Xmen, SinCity, Avenger characters). I recently wanted to start reading comics since the walking dead started. I'm going to read that series and pick up the Y THE LAST MAN series as well. I recently went to a few local comic shops and was recommended the X-force, so I picked up sex & violence and have read Watchmen as well, both books I enjoyed.

I've bounced around to different pages on this forum and saw Astonishing X-Men was recommended as well as Uncanny (not sure if Xmen or x-force or both). I have a feeling I'm going to be more interested in trades, but I like to collect random stuff as well. So I wouldn't mind picking up something from #1 and on...after browsing the web Xmen vs. Avengers looks interesting and there appears to be starting fresh late March early April. Is there any other No. 1's coming out?

So I guess I have a few questions and sorry I cannot read through 130+ pages of a forum. So how is Xmen vs. Avengers different from Civil War? And would you recommend one over the other or both? I would be interested in the origins of Xmen as well (trades), I would have to do more research on that subject. Can anyone recommend any batman trades to pick up? (I’ve really enjoyed the Christopher Nolan movies). Also I’ve seen SinCity and don’t care for it, would the comic be any better? And how does everyone feel about digit comics? 1 more question is there any good comic book sites you would recommend? Thanks.

[quote name='combatrhombus']Can anyone recommend any batman trades to pick up? (I’ve really enjoyed the Christopher Nolan movies). Also I’ve seen SinCity and don’t care for it, would the comic be any better? And how does everyone feel about digit comics? 1 more question is there any good comic book sites you would recommend? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Can't give you anything regarding X-Men since I'm mostly a DC guy, and I tend to wait for cheap Marvel trades.

With Batman, definately go with Scott Snyder. He has been writing some of the most intriguing Batman stories I've ever read. I think The Black Mirror is about to come out collected, and the same with Gates of Gotham. Gates of Gotham was more Kyle Higgins, but it still wasn't a bad read.

But he's writing the Batman book now, which is up to issue 6. It's one of those stories that makes you hate comics because you have to wait a month before you get the next issue. Definately recommend picking up the last six issues of those.

Some, including myself, love Grant Morrison's stuff. He has quite a few trades of Batman stuff out, but he can be hit or miss since he's a writer that likes to...experiment....with storytelling a bit. It can feel convoluted and rushed at times, but depending on what you look for in a story, he can knock it out of the park.

Definitely check out Uncanny X-Force. The trades are currently up through volume 2 and it's a story that culminates in issue 18. My highest recommendation.

If you've enjoyed Nolan's Batman movies, definitely check out some of the graphic novels that influenced him and the movies, like Year One, The Long Halloween, and The Killing Joke.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Nobody in the Oakland area want a free day visit to Image Expo???[/QUOTE]

I'm interested. Which day? Do you have an extra ticket?

Slow your roll, he doesn't have even know what all he can do yet. Personally, I appreciate the slow burn approach as opposed to the bottle rocket way of writing.

[quote name='neocisco']Slow your roll, he doesn't have even know what all he can do yet. Personally, I appreciate the slow burn approach as opposed to the bottle rocket way of writing.[/QUOTE]

yeah but after peter died wasnt the big point that they could have done more to train him and help him be the best he could be? i dont mind him taking his time but he should be getting some training and at the very least some damn web shooters.

the kid has a fucking shit long list of enemies already that that he inherited from the previous spiderman and he knows little to nothing about them. if they felt bad about how peter died youd assume they would do more to help up the survival odds for the new kid.

[quote name='jaso']I'd recommend Hush, as well, because it brings just about every major Batman villain into the storyline, and the art & story (Jim Lee & Jeph Loeb) are both superb.

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Hush-Jeph-Loeb/dp/1401223176/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330113148&sr=8-1[/QUOTE]

Well, of course. I was merely using his like of the Nolan films as a good transition into some of Batman's biggest adventures. But when it comes to DC heroes, I doubt anyone can argue that anyone has more must-read graphic novels than Batman. I'd also personally recommend.

The Dark Knight Returns
The Man Who Laughs
A Death in the Family
Dark Victory
Gotham by Gaslight
Knightfall (Definitely good to check out for Dark Knight Rises, because this series is about Bane)

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Well, of course. I was merely using his like of the Nolan films as a good transition into some of Batman's biggest adventures. But when it comes to DC heroes, I doubt anyone can argue that anyone has more must-read graphic novels than Batman. I'd also personally recommend.

The Dark Knight Returns
The Man Who Laughs
A Death in the Family
Dark Victory
Gotham by Gaslight
Knightfall (Definitely good to check out for Dark Knight Rises, because this series is about Bane)[/QUOTE]

Good list. I was only adding Hush into the mix because it's an easy pick-up for Batman newcomers or those vaguely familiar with Batman/his villains. And Jim Lee's art is enough alone to keep turning the pages.

[quote name='neocisco']Definitely check out Uncanny X-Force. The trades are currently up through volume 2 and it's a story that culminates in issue 18. My highest recommendation.[/QUOTE]

Definitely going to check out this series.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']If you've enjoyed Nolan's Batman movies, definitely check out some of the graphic novels that influenced him and the movies, like Year One, The Long Halloween, and The Killing Joke.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='4thHorseman']
...With Batman, definately go with Scott Snyder. He has been writing some of the most intriguing Batman stories I've ever read. I think The Black Mirror is about to come out collected, and the same with Gates of Gotham. Gates of Gotham was more Kyle Higgins, but it still wasn't a bad read.

But he's writing the Batman book now, which is up to issue 6. It's one of those stories that makes you hate comics because you have to wait a month before you get the next issue. Definately recommend picking up the last six issues of those.

Some, including myself, love Grant Morrison's stuff...[/QUOTE]

Definitely going to check out the Batman stuff just not exactly sure in which order I really want to read The Killing Joke, and I'm assuming I should start with Year One. I will probably read the new Batman book that is at issue 6 but I will wait for a trade.

@jaso - Going to check out Hush as well. Going to start with Year One which looks like Vol, (404-407) and Hush is (608-619). I kinda want to stay in order. I finding this from comicVine.

Thanks for all the recommendations, I have more than enough to get started especially since I'm going to start reading Y: The Last Man and The Walking Dead.

Yeah, definitely start with Year One. If you liked Batman Begins, you'll love Year One. Very similar. And Long Halloween is very much like The Dark Knight: while Batman, Gordon, and Dent work together to bring down the mob, you watch the transformation as Gotham's underground goes from the gangsters to the "freaks."

I think if you do Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Haunted Knight for good measure, and The Killing Joke, you'll more than be covered on the absolute top Batman essentials. A Death in the Family could follow after. Hush and Arkham Asylum are good reads.

The (I believe) non-canon Dark Knight Returns and Dark Knight Strikes Again by Frank Miller are also popular stories for an older Batman, as is Year 100.

There are a whole lot of quality in between Batman books and series too. If you like Hush, you should skip Hush Returns from what I've heard, but might be interested in Heart of Hush and the Streets of Gotham Series. Gotham Central is critically acclaimed but not traditional Batman tales.

All of the above, death of Batman aside, are also good because you don't have to worry about whose currently Robin, Batgirl, or even Batman (compared to the newer stories where Dick is Batman at some points).

Yeah, DKR and DKSA are, indeed, non-canon. They take place/took place on Earth-31, aka the Miller-verse. Though, Frank Miller also wrote Year One, which is/was canon. I have not followed the New 52 very closely, so I have no idea what is canon anymore, nor do I know if the multiverse exists.

I'm surprised by all the Batman love here, when I went to the comic book store I didn't really notice anything Batman I apparently overlooked it. Then again I was strictly focused on The Walking Dead and X-men (Marvel) type comics. With all the Batman talk I'm excited to go pick up Year One.

Hey guys, I have been going through my old books and I am tempted to get back in. Currently reading Civil War which is ok and Identity Crisis which I am liking. Luckily my local library seems to have a decent selection.

First off where is everyone buying bags and boards these days? I came across a ton of books that don't have b&bs. Also some of my old cheap bags need to be replaced due to tearing. I only have 90s books.

Also I noticed it doesn't seem like there is any place really dedicated to comic deals. Am I just missing it? It seems like 40-50% off trades is the standard prices, but still I figured there would be somewhere with decent traffic posting new deals regularly. All I have found is occasional threads on various comic book forums dedicated to specific stores.

[quote name='brennok']Also I noticed it doesn't seem like there is any place really dedicated to comic deals. Am I just missing it? It seems like 40-50% off trades is the standard prices, but still I figured there would be somewhere with decent traffic posting new deals regularly. All I have found is occasional threads on various comic book forums dedicated to specific stores.[/QUOTE]

That's about it. There is no real comics deal site/forum. There are some comic sites like BargainGraphicNovels selling publisher overstock, but like all comic websites, unless you're ordering a ton at once to get free shipping, standard shipping kills the deal. There are several publisher overstock sellers on Amazon but their have deceitful listing practices when it comes to remainder marks on the books.

The number of people buying comics is small, and it seems like the average person is fine paying near cover price for things. The next subset is happy with the 30 to 50% discounts from Amazon and other sites. The subset looking to get really great deals is even smaller and thus have to scavenger from site to site, forum to forum, figuring out deals on our own.

There really isn't a lot of "CAG mentality" when it comes to comics purchases for a lot of people, at least from what I've seen on forums.

[quote name='slowdive21']I heard Batman "The Black Mirror" is good, but I have not read it yet. Waiting for the library to get it.[/QUOTE]

It's excellent. I read it when it was originally printed in Detective comics. This combined with Snyder's current run on Batman in DC's new 52 are the best Batman I've read in a while.

To be honest most 90s books aren't worth much. You may want to get an Overstreet Price guide from your library and look them up first.

Call around to local comic shops for bags and boards. They recently went up, but a decent price for non-Mylar is $5.50 or less for 100 bags and $7 for boards (at least by me). I usually buy Silver Age Size, since they will fit anything since the 1960s (+/- Giant sized and some others). You can also fit 2 comics back to back in a silver bag if you want to cover them, but they are not worth a bag by themselves.

http://www.comicshoplocator.com/ Will help you locate some stores around you, but it doesn't list every store in the area. It will also show if they participate in free comic book day or not. Free Comic Book Day is held the first Saturday in May each year.

I know someone is going to pick this post apart, but it is just some general help.

[quote name='slowdive21']To be honest most 90s books aren't worth much. You may want to get an Overstreet Price guide from your library and look them up first.

Call around to local comic shops for bags and boards. They recently went up, but a decent price for non-Mylar is $5.50 or less for 100 bags and $7 for boards (at least by me). I usually buy Silver Age Size, since they will fit anything since the 1960s (+/- Giant sized and some others). You can also fit 2 comics back to back in a silver bag if you want to cover them, but they are not worth a bag by themselves.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I am not really worried about archiving them for collectablity sakes, but more just to keep them from getting banged up any more and curled in the boxes. The Amazon bags were $7 so not bad and I think they qualify for prime, but the boards were $12 so definitely sounds like I could do better.

Unfortunately the closest store is about 30-45 minutes now. The closest store closed a while back.

i always hated that show video power was the shit and i remember another video game gameshow from the 80s they used to ompete on dragons lair.

[quote name='Rodimus']I liked Nick Arcade, but I always wanted to punch those kids for sucking so bad at video games.[/QUOTE]

Could you imagine Nick Arcade today? A bunch of 10 year olds playing COD calling each other n-words and f-words? All with trivia questions about Jersey Shore.

[quote name='kodave']could you imagine nick arcade today? A bunch of 10 year olds playing cod calling each other n-words and f-words? All with trivia questions about jersey shore.[/quote]

lol

[quote name='kodave']Could you imagine Nick Arcade today? A bunch of 10 year olds playing COD calling each other n-words and f-words? All with trivia questions about Jersey Shore.[/QUOTE]

well that id watch lol. and yeah a big part of my hate for the show was how shitty people were. that and those lame games they created.

[quote name='kodave']Could you imagine Nick Arcade today? A bunch of 10 year olds playing COD calling each other n-words and f-words? All with trivia questions about Jersey Shore.[/QUOTE]

They had a video game competition show on G4 called Arena. Not really a game show, just a competition, but it was boring as hell.

Sorry for de-railing the comic book thread.

Chew is absolutely awesome. I'm meeting Rob and John in April. Can't wait to get my omnivores sketched in. I'm terrified to attempt opening my cgc #1 for a signature.

Definitely not crazy enough to crack it open. Especially since the wait time for the return was excruciating enough. Soooo happy it came back @ 9.8 though. That's really the only reason I was considering it. (opening it, having it signed, sending it back in for a yellow label)

Sorry if this has been addressed already in this thread but what app do you guys recommend for reading comics on the iPad? Comic Zeal looks cool but it's $5 - is it worth it or should I just use Stanza or something free? Thanks.

bread's done
Back