Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='fmwross2']I need some help. I've never been a comic book guy (I really never tried until now), but I'm a fan of The Walking Dead series on AMC, so I bought The Walking Dead Compendium #1 and am halfway through it already (got it at the beginning of the week). I also wanted to read Watchmen since the movie came out, so I grabbed that as well (haven't started it).

I was wondering if there are many other books that cram a bunch of issues in one, good story, more adult themed (like TWD) or some of the bigger characters. I was looking at stuff like Marvels, Sandman, Preacher, etc but I really want the whole series or a large chunk of it and I'm not sure how to tell one apart from the other. I don't really want to buy a bunch of pieces and if I can get a whole series (like Watchmen) or half the series (like TWD) or even something like the first fifty issues of X-Men in one purchase, I'd much rather do it that way... and of course I am a cheap ass.

Please help. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

check out marvel's "essentials" line... dirt cheap and usually include 25+ issues (albeit printed in b&w) of their major series - x-men, cap, iron man, ff, spidey, etc.

[quote name='fmwross2']I need some help. I've never been a comic book guy (I really never tried until now), but I'm a fan of The Walking Dead series on AMC, so I bought The Walking Dead Compendium #1 and am halfway through it already (got it at the beginning of the week). I also wanted to read Watchmen since the movie came out, so I grabbed that as well (haven't started it).

I was wondering if there are many other books that cram a bunch of issues in one, good story, more adult themed (like TWD) or some of the bigger characters. I was looking at stuff like Marvels, Sandman, Preacher, etc but I really want the whole series or a large chunk of it and I'm not sure how to tell one apart from the other. I don't really want to buy a bunch of pieces and if I can get a whole series (like Watchmen) or half the series (like TWD) or even something like the first fifty issues of X-Men in one purchase, I'd much rather do it that way... and of course I am a cheap ass.

Please help. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Library

[quote name='slowdive21']Library[/QUOTE]

This, my library got me into some great comics like Fables, 100 Bullets, etc. I even caught up on stuff I missed when I was on my comic hiatus like House of M, Wolverine Origins and some earlier Avengers stuff.

Batwoman is doing a downhill nosedive lately since Williams is off the art and keeps doing disjointed storytelling.

Saucer Country, though, that is some great shit.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Batwoman is doing a downhill nosedive lately since Williams is off the art and keeps doing disjointed storytelling.

Saucer Country, though, that is some great shit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it really sucks. Batwoman was my third favorite New 52 book behind Animal Man and Swamp Thing, but I agree. The storytelling is kinda "meh" now and I like Amy Reeder's pencils, but not on Batwoman.

[quote name='4thHorseman']So, anyone getting hyped for Free Comic Book Day on...May 5th?

Any shops do special things that day?[/QUOTE]

It can vary. Some give out pop and cookies and let you grab one of each FCBD book. Some only let you have one FCBD book. There is an old school store that throws in some vf copper age books that you can have in place of FCBD books, which is nice.

At our local they lay out the FCBD day stuff, have the Heroclix near the counters. They usually have a costume contest and some gaming going on. I think my Bud is gonna run a Demo of the new Marvel RPG and we might have a Heroclix tournament/demo

[quote name='4thHorseman']So, anyone getting hyped for Free Comic Book Day on...May 5th?

Any shops do special things that day?[/QUOTE]

My kids are excited. We make a trip to the local comic book store about once every other week and I let them pick out one comic each. My son can't read but he likes either Spiderman Marvel Adventures or Batman Brave and the Bold. He got this one last week:

ma-spidey-v2-21.jpg

My daughter seems to like comics that don't feature superheroes. She recently got a few Amelia comics and last week she bought Word Girl (Marvel).

The Omega effect started this week with Avenging Spider-man #6. It continues with Daredevil and Punisher later this month. Read it. It's awesome.

[quote name='bhk']The Omega effect started this week with Avenging Spider-man #6. It continues with Daredevil and Punisher later this month. Read it. It's awesome.[/QUOTE]

I think I'm gonna stop buying Avenging after this issue. Not all that in love with it.

I haven't picked up Avenging at all. It didn't interest me at all because that's all we need is another Spider-Man book on the shelves each month. I will pick up this issue next week since I totally forgot that the Omega Effect started this week.

Would you mind popping that open and scanning the pages so all of us can enjoy really old out of print Space Ghost comics that will never be re-printed in a purchasable form? :whistle2:D

[quote name='Javery']My kids are excited. We make a trip to the local comic book store about once every other week and I let them pick out one comic each. My son can't read but he likes either Spiderman Marvel Adventures or Batman Brave and the Bold. He got this one last week:

ma-spidey-v2-21.jpg

My daughter seems to like comics that don't feature superheroes. She recently got a few Amelia comics and last week she bought Word Girl (Marvel).[/QUOTE]

I read that as Marvelous Adventures.

And then I was disappointed when I saw it just said Marvel.

[quote name='neocisco']Is that your copy that you had graded or did you buy it graded?[/QUOTE]
I purchased it graded.

I have Hanna-Barbera's Super T.V. Heroes 1 - 7 that I'm looking to have graded, though.
[quote name='kodave']Would you mind popping that open and scanning the pages so all of us can enjoy really old out of print Space Ghost comics that will never be re-printed in a purchasable form? :whistle2:D[/QUOTE]
:p

[quote name='Brak']Look what I got! :)

2zitsug.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That is not an 8. It should be lower, but I am a conservative grader. It is still a really nice book though!

988svd.png

Can't wait to get that one graded. (#4) NM, but I'm not sure what number I'd give it.

Looks super-sharp for being 64 years-old.

had a chance to get the first appearance of juggernaut years ago for about 125 but passed on it. just felt like too much to pay for one comic.

I just started Morning Glories today based on a friend not leaving me alone until I tried it and after 2 issues I'm completely hooked. The premise seems really cool and it is definitely weird - I could see AMC or HBO making an awesome TV show out of this too.

[quote name='Javery']I just started Morning Glories today based on a friend not leaving me alone until I tried it and after 2 issues I'm completely hooked. The premise seems really cool and it is definitely weird - I could see AMC or HBO making an awesome TV show out of this too.[/QUOTE]

Dont think ive heard of it before. Whats the premise?

[quote name='DestroVega']I think I'm gonna stop buying Avenging after this issue. Not all that in love with it.[/QUOTE]

Really? I'm liking it a lot, but my only complaint is how often it jumps from companion to companion. I'd like a little more depth into the story without having to read other comics.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Dont think ive heard of it before. Whats the premise?[/QUOTE]

It follows a group of kids being forced to go to a crazy clandestine school with some shady stuff going on. It's unclear what the purpose of the school is. It's a solid read, hopefully the author knows where the story is going because it's out there. Lots of unexplained stuff going on.

Ok, I heard of this comic several months back but not sure what it is and hadnt heard about the follow up issues.

The first issue, IIRC, had a son spend time w his father before the dad died. The father tells the son to look under the house for something he has been keeping secret. It ends with the son looking and finding
dead bodies of people his father had murdered throughout the years

Does it ring a bell to anyone?

[quote name='Tsel']Really? I'm liking it a lot, but my only complaint is how often it jumps from companion to companion. I'd like a little more depth into the story without having to read other comics.[/QUOTE]

I liked the first story arc. But it's not enough Spidey only.

[quote name='DestroVega']I liked the first story arc. But it's not enough Spidey only.[/QUOTE]

That's the purpose of it though. It follows Spidey and the Avengers, hence the name Avenging Spider-Man. I like that aspect. We get to see some Avengers action all while getting Spidey's insights and personal thoughts, which are hilarious.

@4th Horsemen (for some reason my comp won't quote right now) I believe I know what you are talking about. The son is a schizophrenic and on meds and is afraid he will end up crazy like the dad. The dad is sick and dying in hospice and tells him to look under this house at this address and he finds tons of pieces of dead kids. He stars hallucinating off his meds or something and thinks he is becoming a crazy murderer like his dad. Lot more happens but don't want to go into it. If this is the one you are talking about I will try to poke around and remember what it is called.

[quote name='DestroVega']Read Punisher 1-9 today. What an awesome book.[/QUOTE]

One of the best comics from Marvel. The storytelling is fantastic by Rucka and it's even better when he lets the artists tell the story with their art. I'm more fond of the earlier issues that show the Punisher's carnage through the point-of-view of the detectives. So good.

As for Morning Glories, be prepared, it starts out really great but then around issue 9 or so it goes off the rails. Not in a bad way or anything, but a confusing one. It basically turns into prep school LOST at that point. The storytelling and dialogue is a bit meh, but the artwork is enough to keep me around.

[quote name='Tsel']That's the purpose of it though. It follows Spidey and the Avengers, hence the name Avenging Spider-Man. I like that aspect. We get to see some Avengers action all while getting Spidey's insights and personal thoughts, which are hilarious.[/QUOTE]

I understand but I'm not digging it.

[quote name='DestroVega']I understand but I'm not digging it.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough then. I really like it thus far, but I can totally see where you're coming from.

[quote name='slowdive21']That is not an 8. It should be lower, but I am a conservative grader. It is still a really nice book though![/QUOTE]

CGC has become noticeably more liberal in their grading in the last year or two so that could have something to do with the grade.

[quote name='Javery']I just started Morning Glories today based on a friend not leaving me alone until I tried it and after 2 issues I'm completely hooked. The premise seems really cool and it is definitely weird - I could see AMC or HBO making an awesome TV show out of this too.[/QUOTE]

In related news, AMC last week optioned Nick Spencer's other Image series, Thief of Thieves, for a series. The fact that Robert Kirkman did the initial plot probably didn't hurt. ;)

[quote name='Dokstarr']@4th Horsemen (for some reason my comp won't quote right now) I believe I know what you are talking about. The son is a schizophrenic and on meds and is afraid he will end up crazy like the dad. The dad is sick and dying in hospice and tells him to look under this house at this address and he finds tons of pieces of dead kids. He stars hallucinating off his meds or something and thinks he is becoming a crazy murderer like his dad. Lot more happens but don't want to go into it. If this is the one you are talking about I will try to poke around and remember what it is called.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like it. Even if you can remember which company published it, that would give me a start on where to look.

When I try to do a search for it, all I come back with is Norman Bates, Psychiatric help, and stuff of that nature.

[quote name='GhostShark']As for Morning Glories, be prepared, it starts out really great but then around issue 9 or so it goes off the rails. Not in a bad way or anything, but a confusing one. It basically turns into prep school LOST at that point. The storytelling and dialogue is a bit meh, but the artwork is enough to keep me around.[/QUOTE]

Not a problem for me - I'm in the middle of issue 5 and I was already thinking it was a lot like LOST! I'm easily confused but I can't wait to see what happens next. The art is amazing and I like the dialogue so far (plus, I'll read/watch just about anything having to do with high school and teenagers).

Image has so many great series. I've heard good things about Chew - I'm going to have to check that out at some point. The premise is interesting even though it's way out there. The only thing I may not be on board for is Saga. It started out good but around page 10 I was like WTF am I reading? I'll finish issue #1 this week since I already have it but I'm not so sure I'll be buying issue #2.

Chew is great. Funny and doesn't take it's self too seriously. Fun art and I like all the little easter eggs in almost every panel. It's very different from anything else I'm reading at the moment.

I hear issue #2 of Saga is amazing. Haven't read it but it might be worth your coin to invest in one more issue.

I'll definitely have to check out Chew - I love easter eggs. I'll probably give Saga another chance... the doggystyle action from people with TVs for heads threw me for a loop. I'm not sure what the crap was going on but I guess I'll have to keep reading to find out.

Saga is off to the best start of any new series I've ever read. Even better than American Vampire (which is still on an epic roll). Blending conventions of both science fiction and fantasy into one comic is something that BKV does really well. Can't complain with Staples' art either.

[quote name='GhostShark']Saga is off to the best start of any new series I've ever read. Even better than American Vampire (which is still on an epic roll). Blending conventions of both science fiction and fantasy into one comic is something that BKV does really well. Can't complain with Staples' art either.[/QUOTE]

YES. so good so far, hope they keep it up!

I'm really enjoying saga but I think the sci-fi twist to it is coming from the narrators point of view. I think it would be an interesting plot twist if that's the case. Remember that it's the little girl that's telling this story and it could be her imagination twisting all these things around.

It's still an outstanding book but I'm just curious If that's a detail that may change as the story progresses.

[quote name='Javery']I'll definitely have to check out Chew - I love easter eggs.[/QUOTE]

I'd sit there for a few minutes on each page looking for them. This one is from the last issue I read. It's blatently easy to spot, but still a good one. Don't worry, no spoilers.

02-20-2012%2B04%253B48%253B17PM.jpg

I'm meeting John and Rob on Friday and he was going to be one of my commissions actually. I'm definitely getting a sketch or two in my Omnivore's.

(I'm a Chew freak, I should take a snap of my collection.)

[quote name='Rodimus']I'd sit there for a few minutes on each page looking for them. This one is from the last issue I read. It's blatently easy to spot, but still a good one. Don't worry, no spoilers.

02-20-2012%2B04%253B48%253B17PM.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Haha - nice. I love this kind of stuff.

/\ nice, I will definitely have to start reading Chew.

Picked up Saga #2 and it was amazing("I want more"), felt short but I was spoiled after #1 was a double issue.

Also I was going to pick up the new Batman#8 since they're about to do a cross-over with Nightwing(I"m assuming)?? Have people been reading both these books or just strictly Batman?

Maybe somebody here who has read Batman Inc. can help me out here. I'm reading issue 6 I believe, and there is a scene with Commissioner Gordon at I think a landfill. Batman and Robin are talking to him, but it's the old classic Batman and Robin, the more modern version of Batman is waiting for them to show them the severed hand of a mobster. Now since Batman Inc. is all about different Batmen, who are the classic Batman and Robin in that scene? I assume the modern version is Bruce Wayne? I haven't read all the stuff that leads up to this, so that's probably why I'm a bit confused on identities here.

bread's done
Back