Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

Comics have been packaged with stuff like that for quite a while now. Have you not seen all of the DC Direct figure and book bundles or the V for Vendetta and Guy Fawkes mask bundle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Comics have been packaged with stuff like that for quite a while now. Have you not seen all of the DC Direct figure and book bundles or the V for Vendetta and Guy Fawkes mask bundle?
No I haven't...The comic shops I go to are old school, so they don't get that stuff. I'm surprised I haven't seen it at comic conventions though. I know the mask came with the movie. Do these tend to keep their value if they are sealed? I know most graphic novels you can get for 50% off as low as $1 at conventions.

No I haven't...The comic shops I go to are old school, so they don't get that stuff. I'm surprised I haven't seen it at comic conventions though. I know the mask came with the movie. Do these tend to keep their value if they are sealed? I know most graphic novels you can get for 50% off as low as $1 at conventions.
I have no idea, I just know that my Hastings and the comic shops around me have plenty of those types of bundles. Only one I've ever bought was the Red Son set with Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Bizarro, and the first book. I've been meaning to pick up the DKR one, but I can never bring myself to pay $50 for it.

Thought this would be the best place for this:

Amazon currently has a pre-order for the Batman Court of Owls (vol 1) paperback with mask for only $10.49. Which is a better deal than the TPB itself at $12.92. The mask and book set isn't out till October 8 but it'll arrive in time for Halloween. A better picture of the set is here.
Huh. Kind of makes me wish I didn't already own the hardcover, I love that mask.

I guess I could buy it for the mask and give the TPB to a friend in hopes of creating a new comic book fan. I don't think $10.49 is a terrible price for what is basically a prop replica... decisions, decisions.

Avengers #17 was so awesome. Basically,
Freakin' Abyss, Ex Nihilo, Starbrand and Nightmask are now Avengers.

After the last issue of New Avengers and now this, I am so pumped for Infinity. In Hickman We Trust.

Has anyone seen Flashpoint Paradox? Any good? Any major changes to the plot?
Yeah, watched it. It's pretty much a direct adaptation of the Flashpoint story. The end of the movie doesn't indicate it's switching to the All New 52 though like the comic did. But they pretty much said the next movie will(Justice League: War), since the trailer included mentions they're covering that Vol. 1 graphic novel from the All New 52.

Avengers #17 was so awesome. Basically,
Freakin' Abyss, Ex Nihilo, Starbrand and Nightmask are now Avengers.

After the last issue of New Avengers and now this, I am so pumped for Infinity. In Hickman We Trust.
Everyone in marvel is basically an avenger now.

It certainly seems that way.  It's like Oprah was handing out memberships.

"You're an Avenger!  You're an Avenger!  You're an Avenger!  You're an Avenger!  You're an Avenger!  You're an Avenger!"

It makes sense, though. Hence why the entire arc by Hickman leading into Infinity is called "Avengers World." I'm just in love with them bringing in more obscure characters like Eden, Smasher, Hyperion, Sunspot, Cannonball and others mixing and fighting with the mainstays. Avengers reminds of Hickman's several SHIELD series and Secret Warriors more than actual Avengers books. New Avengers is the book that feels more like the main Avengers book. They're both awesome.

I'll certainly get it. I did fall off the Fables train after the 8th TPB. I should really pick up there rest that are out. 

I want to read Hunger, but I don't give any shits about the Ultimate Universe.

Saga #13 and Infinity #1 are must-buys this week. Go buy them. Seriously, And Trinity War is getting more and more boring with each passing chapter. It seems more like a prelude than an actual event that DC marketed it to be. 

I've lost intrest in DC at the moment. Batman's great but besides that I dropped everything.

Can't wait for my copy of Saga & Infinity to come in. fucking Thanos

I'll certainly get it. I did fall off the Fables train after the 8th TPB. I should really pick up there rest that are out.
I know it's kinda far off where you left but there is a great arc at issue #114-#121 about Bigsby's & Snows cubs. Also there's an amazing single issue about Bufkin (#124) that wraps up his story rather nicely.

These marvel app comics are pretty damn good. Reading one about silver surfer and the skrull

nvm found it.

Some sad news: Matt Fraction will be dropping off both Fantastic Four and FF at the end of this year to focus on next year's Inhuman with Joe Madureira. Though he will still help the writers (Karl Kessel on Fantastic Four and Lee Allred on FF) at least until issue #16 of each series. 

I'm curious to see how the entire Allred family does on FF. It should still be awesome. And it is awesome to see Hickman and Fraction's drive to bring back the Inhumans to the forefront of Marvel. 

Son of M was so good. I'd love to see Quicksilver back in the spotlight. He kinda resurfaced in Avengers Academy and AvX, but he was criminally underused in both books. 

What's saga
My current favorite non-superhero book. Every issue is a gem and fantastic art.

Son of M made Quicksilver a very interesting character. It's a shame they swept his troubles under the rug. I really wanted to see more of this story.

Reading Walking Dead #113 and yeah, that was a good issue. Like a really good issue all the way to the last page after a long stretch of long ass build up after about a year. I'm on board for the All Out War arc now. With that said
I realize more then ever how much I love Andrea as a character in this series and I think will be more disappointed if she dies more then anyone else. Suffice to say the issue was definitely a "holy shit, I hope she makes it" affair.

And I hope Jim Cheung is drawing all six issues of Infinity.

Some sad news: Matt Fraction will be dropping off both Fantastic Four and FF at the end of this year to focus on next year's Inhuman with Joe Madureira. Though he will still help the writers (Karl Kessel on Fantastic Four and Lee Allred on FF) at least until issue #16 of each series.

I'm curious to see how the entire Allred family does on FF. It should still be awesome. And it is awesome to see Hickman and Fraction's drive to bring back the Inhumans to the forefront of Marvel.
I am sad to see him leaving FF as I fucking adore that book, but I really disliked Fantastic Four. It feels really, really bland to me. Super stoked to see how Inhuman turns out, though. I love Black Bolt.

I've lost intrest in DC at the moment. Batman's great but besides that I dropped everything.
DC has plenty of stuff to read besides Batman, though! JLA is pretty interesting. The first arc reminded me a lot of Ellis' run on Thunderbolts since there was so much emphasis on public relations and what the team is willing to do to get their mission completed. Suicide Squad is also pretty damn good. James Gordon Jr. running the team makes everything super interesting.

Son of M made Quicksilver a very interesting character. It's a shame they swept his troubles under the rug. I really wanted to see more of this story.
Quicksilver was already an interesting character. Peter David did amazing things with him in hist first run on X-Factor in the 90's.

Reading Walking Dead #113 and yeah, that was a good issue. Like a really good issue all the way to the last page after a long stretch of long ass build up after about a year. I'm on board for the All Out War arc now. With that said
I realize more then ever how much I love Andrea as a character in this series and I think will be more disappointed if she dies more then anyone else. Suffice to say the issue was definitely a "holy shit, I hope she makes it" affair.

And I hope Jim Cheung is drawing all six issues of Infinity.
I agree with every bit of this post. Especially on the Andrea bit. This issue reminded me a lot of why I love her character so much and again reminded me why I'm so disappointed with the kind of character the show made her into.

Anyone else feel like Infinity is a lot like Crisis on Infinite Earths? It reminds me of it a lot, especially little things like the wall of white that erases worlds.

I agree with every bit of this post. Especially on the Andrea bit. This issue reminded me a lot of why I love her character so much and again reminded me why I'm so disappointed with the kind of character the show made her into.

Anyone else feel like Infinity is a lot like Crisis on Infinite Earths? It reminds me of it a lot, especially little things like the wall of white that erases worlds.
When I Think of Andrea on the Walking Dead TV finale all I can think of is "foot fetishists must be jerking it hard for this episode." Though yeah thinking about all that she's been through, she's really dealt with as much emotional turmoil as Rick personally and she's just such an underrated bad ass going all the way back to the Fear the Hunters arc.

White wall of death? Sorta, didn't think of it until now, but in that one the Crime Syndicate just basically accepted their fate is what comes to mind first when I think of that scene

Oh and I read more DC than I do Marvel. So I guess I maybe in the minority here.

I think Jim Cheung is only pencilling issues 1,2 and 6. I could be wrong on that, though.

Infinity 1 & 6 -- Jim Cheung

Infinity 2-5 -- Jerome Opena and Dustin Weaver
Damn, love his artwork and was hoping to see him do more of the large sci-fi epic kinda stuff. Oh well, I'll still pick it up since first issue was a fantastic set up and I'm eager to see if all that was hinted at in New Avengers #2 or whatever happens.

Anyone that reads the Jericho series (continuation of the CBS series) know what in the heck is going on with them?  Massively late getting released on every issue (at most I think it was four or five months late on one of them).  Instead of every month it seems to be every three or so, with no real information out there about why the delays are happening.

I don't seem to remember last season being this bad, although it had some delays as well.

Howdy!

I am writing to you today because our records show us that you have new comics on order from us via our N.I.C.E. New Comics Service. If you have some DC titles on order, I have some very important news for you about all of the DC comics releasing in September.

To begin, as you may recall from when you placed your order, DC has a huge promotion in September called "Forever Evil." This crossover storyline (also being touted as "Villains Month") encompasses all 52 issues that month, with every single issue having a special "Lenticular" cover that features great artwork, combined with holographic movement effects. We were shown the covers by DC's marketing staff at this year's San Diego Comic-Con, and they are simply fantastic.

What I have told you so far is the good news. The bad news is that DC grossly underestimated demand for these issues. As a direct result, they announced to the entire comics world last Friday afternoon that ALL existing retailer orders have been cancelled, and that DC Comics will instead be sending us arbitrarily determined set amounts for each title, theoretically based upon the number of DC comics that we ordered three months ago. What this means for us is that they will not be sending us enough copies on most issues to even fill all of our pre-orders, and that we will have no Lenticular cover editions for our new comics racks.

If you find this all a bit shocking, believe me when I say that we are appalled, too. Never in our memory can we recall a publisher allocating their entire line of comics, especially for an entire month. What happened in this instance, however, was a set of unique circumstances. Simply put, the Lenticular covers were printed in China, well in advance of solicitation. DC advance printed far more of these covers than they thought that they needed, but when actual orders from comics retailers came in at 3X -5X DC's most optimistic estimates, the entire program blew up on them. Under normal circumstances new issue print runs are easy to adjust upwards, as all of DC's standard comics are printed in Montreal. But it takes a minimum of 90 days for these special Lenticular covers to be shipped from China, so the earliest that DC can offer a second batch of these Lenticular editions the first week of December. Sigh...

How this will effect your individual order with us depends entirely on which titles you preordered, and what allocations we receive on those titles from DC. In a few instances, we have been told that we have enough Lenticular cover editions being shipped to us to fill 100% of our pre-orders. We just got our numbers in and we will be able to cover all pre-orders on 33 of the 52 different tittles. That means that we have no choice but to implement a series of random drawings on each 19 titles to determine which pre-orders that we can fill. Since our percentages of fulfillment from DC are pretty high, the odds that you will miss out on receiving a title that you pre-ordered are relatively small. But because shortages will occur, I wanted to let you know why this might happen to some DC titles in your monthly order for September.

<snipsnip>
Happy Collecting!

Chuck Rozanski,
President - Mile High Comics, Inc.
August 13, 2013
I cut this down a bit because the email was extremely long.... but anyhoo:

So, uh... anyone else hear anything like this? I mean, it all sounds likely - DC said from the get-go that this would be a severely limited run because they were taking a loss on each of these comics sold, but seriously? They aren't going to honor the pre-orders and are just shipping so many to each retailer?

EDIT:

Hmm. Well, what a cluster**** this is. I wonder what I'll actually end up with.

That email is a fairly accurate description of the situation.  DC severely screwed this up and everybody from the retailers to the readers are going to get the short end.  Yet another mistake in what is becoming a long line of mistakes from DC over the last year or so.

I cut this down a bit because the email was extremely long.... but anyhoo:

So, uh... anyone else hear anything like this? I mean, it all sounds likely - DC said from the get-go that this would be a severely limited run because they were taking a loss on each of these comics sold, but seriously? They aren't going to honor the pre-orders and are just shipping so many to each retailer?

EDIT:

Hmm. Well, what a cluster**** this is. I wonder what I'll actually end up with.
My comic shop had this problem, they put an order for 75 of those 3D covers or so for each title and are going to get about 25 each instead. It works for me though because they have a promotion where if you preorder any of the Villain's Month titles and do only the normal covers you get $5 credit and I had no interest in getting any of those covers.

I'm reading Wonder Woman Chronicles Volume 1, it is just giving me a headache.  I know Golden Age comics were crude all the way, but Moulton doesn't even try with keeping a consistent flow with his storytelling. Half the time, the characters are being smartmouthed, and the other half they're doing some insane thing.

If we were living all the way back then, I can understand why comic books were terrible reading material and bad for mental development.  We really do take for granted of the reading material we have today, considering it's not just comic books that had a chance to grow. People aren't reading as much anymore, preferring crap like mystery/thrillers and self-help books or watching internet videos instead.  Maybe these days, we're not good enough for comic books, if they weren't good enough for us back then.

And regarding that DC Villains month mishap.  I know comic books aren't selling as they were in the past two or three decades, but how the hell did they manage to fuck up those orders?  How low were they even expecting their titles to sell?

What sites buy comics off you these days? I don't have any local places that buy them and I wanna make some change off the ones I have since they aren't worth going through eBay to sell. No one I know particularly reads or collects them so I can't donate them either.

They could've done better, but they also could have done way worse.

Week 2 of Infinity and it is getting stronger. Avengers #18 and Avengers Assemble #18 were both great reads.

I Think the problem I have with Affleck as Batman is it's such a boring choice. Like he is basically in the A list again and I get that and am fine with that because he deserves all the praise and love he can get now after JLo damn near destroyed his career, but I rather a lesser known actor get the role of Batman and performance wise, really how will it be different from Daredevil? Minus see-saw fight sequence.

Well, he was blind red Batman already. Is Kevin Smith directing this or what? Now just get Shia Labeouf as Robin and Dwayne Johnson as Superman.

Thinking about it he'll be the only actor to play both Supes and Bats.

afflask.jpg

Matt Damon is Robin (j/k)...Hopefully they will be shamed into a different Batman, like M$ was with the xbox one specs, but I don't see that happening.

Matt Damon is Robin (j/k)...Hopefully they will be shamed into a different Batman, like M$ was with the xbox one specs, but I don't see that happening.
I Doubt it will. They're not going to get a multi-million A lister and then just say "PSYCHE!"

So, uh... any Lobo fans here? You may want to take a look at this.

I don't know much about the character myself, but, uh... yeah. This seems like an odd thing for DC to do.
Did someone just rip off Marc Silvestri Cyber Force designs or something? Then again Power Girl's costume was reverted to original status quo in a year, so we'll see how long this lasts.

bread's done
Back