Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

Charles Soule is a fantastic writing, doing great things with Swamp Thing. Sure, it's not Snyder, but you can't expect that level of writing from a rookie superhero writer. I'm glad they're distancing him from just about everything and delving more into the lore and history of the green and past Swamp Things. Plus, Kano's art is fucking brilliant.
I Do love the art, but it's just still such an uphill battle not to compare this to the last run. Especially now that Swamp Thing basically needs to find a new purpose since Snyder's run felt so conclusive and satisfying in every level. Like I said, I was fine if the series ended there and so now it kinda has to reintroduce itself again.

Yeah, my dad and one of my buddies actually pick up every issue of Spawn that drops. They say it's great, but they also are not all that bright and probably wouldn't know good writing if it was staring them in the face. I think that the most recent Spawn stuff I read (besides Image United, which never ended) was probably the 100 arc because a friend told me how good it was, but it was incredibly forgettable, apparently.

Also, I agree on the Nightwing dropping. If it wasn't that I read that for free, I'd probably have dropped it as soon as he moved to Chicago. Especially because I hate the art now. Everyone looks like kids. I didn't catch the reference to Superman Blue, but hell, it could've been.
Yeah, 100 was waaaay overhyped, especially with the multiple covers. I Was hoping for something interesting to happen to the character, but nope! Kill off that one character that by then Todd McFarlane had lost the creative ownership to Neil Gaiman. Outside of Savage Dragon, I'm surprised any of the Image original characters are still around since they're such a relic of the past.

Maybe the Electro Blue thing was in my head, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some comparisons in power between that and Supes redesign. Though I'm still curious as to where Snyder will take the character since Action Comics feels pretty stale now.

I actually did kind of enjoy this weeks Avengers, hopefully it continues to get better and more interesting than it has been.

I'm also still really enjoying Uncanny Avengers, I think a lot of it is that Remender is tying it so closely to the events of The Dark Angel Saga from Uncanny X-Force which I really really loved. That plus having Kang involved is also awesome because I like him as a villain. And Remender is doing a good job of keeping the story all kinds of crazy which he usually seems to do. I might even go as far to say I think Uncanny Avengers is my favorite Avengers title, narrowly beating out New Avengers.
Agreed on all counts. I Think I'll appreciate Avengers more once everything it's leading up to is brought out in Infinity, but even then Uncanny and New Avengers are just so damn good.

Alan Moore did a stint on Spawn? never even knew that. that's interesting.
He did Blood Feud (kept goddamn calling it Bloodlust) , Violator and a few other mini series. They were damn good though since Moore knew how to keep up the violence and action going in each issue along with making a straight forward narrative that didn't drown itself in confusing and forced plot twists. Something that everytime I read Spawn it couldn't decide which direction it was going.

I Haven't read it yet, but I hate Larfleeze with pupils in his eyes instead of a blank canvas.

And I enjoy Jae Lee a great deal, but I can't help, but feel his art doesn't fit into Batman Superman at all.

One of the biggest weeks i can ever remember. Here was my haul.

Lazarus #1 (Rucka/Lark) - Everyone should read this. Especially if you loved Rucka's Gotham Central and Punisher

The Wake #2 (Snyder/Murphy) - I can never get enough original Scott Snyder

Justice League Dark #21(Lemire/Fawkes/Janin) - Issues centered around Madame Xanadu are great.

Justice League of America #5 (Johns/Booth) - The Secret Society is shaping up nicely.

Justice League #21 (Johns/Frank) - Finally we get to see Black Adam and Shazam throw down. And it was awesome.

FF #8 (Fraction/Allred) - More crazy antics and amazing artwork. Everyone should be reading this book.

Nova #5 (Loeb/McGuinness) - Curious how the new creative team will improve of this decent opening arc.

Guardians of the Galaxy #5 (Bendis/Pichelli) - Sara Pichelli's artwork is a thing of beauty and fits GotG perfectly.

Young Avengers #9 (Gillen/Brown) - Great to see Speed and Prodigy again. Art is a mess, though.

Hawkeye #11 (Fraction/Aja) - Pizza dog. That is all.

X-Men #2 (Wood/Coipel) - Hands down the best book of the week. Coipel shows again why he is the best penciler in the business.

If we're going over hauls I picked up...

The Last of Us #1 - enjoyed the game and decided to read the comic. Will probably pick up the other two issues as well.

Jupiter's Legacy #2

Injustice #5 and 6

The Wake #2

Larfleeze #1

Aquaman #21

FF #8

Batman Superman #1

Though will be going to my shop again on Saturday so I can help my friend extend his library since my shop offers back issue money for every $50 cumulatively spent and I got $64 I'm letting him use.

When does the Last of Us comic take place in relation to the game? I usually don't pick up game tie-ins because most of them are purely cash-ins (Mass Effect and Dragon Age being two of the exceptions), but I would like to more about the world of the game since very little is said about the 20 year gap in the game.

The Last of Us comic is written by Neil Druckmann who also wrote the game. I Think the story is basically a year before Ellie meets up with Joel, but the comic is centered around Ellie's life before she meets up with the Fireflies and it's about her friendship with one of the characters briefly mentioned that leads to...well, if you played the game I think you know where I'm going. I Only bought the first issue, but I think it's left me curious enough to pick up the two issues that are already out.

Hmm, I think I will wait for the hardcover or TPB, since I am only about halfway through the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I got a shitload of stuff as well.

Lazarus, Hawkeye, Batman & Supes, Fatale, The Massive, The Wake, Daredevil, Guardians of the Galaxy, TMNT and Sex.

Can't believe I missed the Spawn chat. Guess you guys had to be there.

Looking forward to Batman/Superman though. I've always been a fan of Jae Lee even when he was doing MCP and a Simon Bisley ripoff.

Read Larfleeze last night, it was alot more enjoyable then I thought it'd be. I Don't know how it can continue with the goofy pace the first issue set, but it's a damn fun read.

Can't believe I missed the Spawn chat. Guess you guys had to be there.

Looking forward to Batman/Superman though. I've always been a fan of Jae Lee even when he was doing MCP and a Simon Bisley ripoff.
I Wouldn't say Simon Bisley ripoff since he doesnt draw enough veins, boobs and asses for me to make that comparison. He's a good artist and I love his layouts, but Jae Lee if anything just draws such creepy faces. I Mean it'd work if it was purely a Batman story, but everyone looks like the devil or a child molestor.

I Wouldn't say Simon Bisley ripoff since he doesnt draw enough veins, boobs and asses for me to make that comparison. He's a good artist and I love his layouts, but Jae Lee if anything just draws such creepy faces. I Mean it'd work if it was purely a Batman story, but everyone looks like the devil or a child molestor.
629621.jpg

;)

Stylistically speaking, the modern Jae Lee is a Very different artist from original Jae Lee. In Marvel Comics Presents and earlier X-titles, the editors had him copy Jim Lee. Eventually, they let him run a little wild and he went full-on Simon Bisley.

I Didn't even know Jae Lee went that far in the history of working for Marvel. To be honest I only became aware of him after the Marvel Knights launch of Inhumans.

And I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the death of "someone" in Justice League of America #4. That or no one gave a shit or Age of Ultron took over everyone's "what the fuck is this shit?!" rage. That or we know that to be the catalyst of Trinity War so now less fucks were given even more  so.

Well, concerning JLA #4, all questions are answered in JLA #5
Catwoman didn't die. Martian Manhunter pulled the ol' philly fakeout on everyone and took the place of Selina and took the bullet in the head. So nobody died. They were just trolling with the cover art. And I think it was plenty apparent that she didn't truly die because he book was still on all the solicitations for future months and she has been on just about all promo art for Trinity War.  

Wasn't even aware of that item in JLA #4. I'm about 2-3 months behind on my DC reading, I've got a stack of them in my apartment just haven't got to them yet. My Image collection takes first read priority followed by Marvel. DC is the bastard stepchild in my collection.

Yeah, it was leaked a good bit before that JLA thing happened what the outcome really was. It was another one of those moments where being an active fan of a piece of media pissed me off because they already admitted to what happened. I am excited to see what all goes down with Trinity War, though. And I am really, really liking JLA so far.

Also, just finished reading pretty much everything from the big two this week. I liked SuperBat with the exception of the art. It just really doesn't feel like it fits to me. Actually, I dislike Uncanny X-men for the same reason. I fucking abhor Frazier Irving's art.

What? A massive crossover involving the death of someone and I'm out of the loop?! *gasps* I Must be slipping! That or when I stop caring for a crossover I realize I have nothing to really lose.

Also I have no idea what the fuck is going on in The Wake, but I am so sold on this series. Also reading Injustice and I would not mind seeing Tom Taylor being given a Justice League comic to write. Considering the confines of having to write a prequel for a fighting game, he does extremely well.

Okay, I'm way behind in my comics so I did a marathon last night. Finally read the hyped Age of Ultron #10 and I gotta say... I don't get it. So what exactly happened?
Does this mean no more time travel? Is the Marvel Universe being merged into "One Earth"? The Ultimate Universe did a Galactus arc already, now we get another? And is that Angela from Spawn? The off panel killing of Wolverine was cheap. Probably the most intresting part and it was glossed over. I want to know what he did.

Okay, I'm way behind in my comics so I did a marathon last night. Finally read the hyped Age of Ultron #10 and I gotta say... I don't get it. So what exactly happened?
Does this mean no more time travel? Is the Marvel Universe being merged into "One Earth"? The Ultimate Universe did a Galactus arc already, now we get another? And is that Angela from Spawn? The off panel killing of Wolverine was cheap. Probably the most intresting part and it was glossed over. I want to know what he did.
Yeah, that just about sums it up. In my eyes, it is like Flashpoint (and equally as bad, if not worse). They only want a few universes, but they let Bendis have too much say in everything. I'm not even sure which Wolverine was killed, I mean there are like 4 of them in the series. I wonder if this Hunger series with Galactus will signal the end of the Ultimate Universe, whose ratings have been falling steadily since the death of Ultimate Peter Parker. The thing has just been a giant clusterfuck since the very beginning.

Yeah, that just about sums it up. In my eyes, it is like Flashpoint (and equally as bad, if not worse). They only want a few universes, but they let Bendis have too much say in everything. I'm not even sure which Wolverine was killed, I mean there are like 4 of them in the series. I wonder if this Hunger series with Galactus will signal the end of the Ultimate Universe, whose ratings have been falling steadily since the death of Ultimate Peter Parker. The thing has just been a giant clusterfuck since the very beginning.
I'll definitely be upset if they fold the entire Ultimate Universe. I really enjoy that line, it's what got me into comics. I'll admit though that minus the Ultimate Spider-man books the line has been all over the place quality wise. Ultimate Comics X-men started off decent then just went nuts and the Ultimate Comics Ultimates never seemed to hit it's stride. I was really hopeful for the Divided We Fall event and it had promise but they haven't really built off of it well. They brought everything in line, built to something and it just didn't seem to have a proper payoff in my mind. It looks like they are getting to a proper payoff but it's just....a bit much.

Part of why sales are slipping (along with quality) is that the all the Ultimate books are 3.99. And they don't bring the same firepower with creative teams that most 4 dollar books do. I'd be more inclined to read the Ultimate books if they were $2.99 like they used to be. 

It should also be noted that I stopped reading any and all Ultimate books following the Ultimatum. 

I Think Jeph Loeb himself basically killed what momentum the Ultimate universe had after Ultimates 3 and he killed a good portion of good faith by writing Ultimatum.

Though last Ultimate universe related thing I read was Amazing Spider-men #5. Now that was easily one of the best Spider-man stories I've read in years, hell, maybe even decades.

I don't care what they do with the rest of the Ultimate universe but they better not touch my Ultimate Spidey. I love that book. And yeah Spider-Men was a fantastic read. The scene in issue #4 where he meets Ultimate Gwen, Aunt May and MJ (who runs away) is very touching.

So if they merge all the universes does that mean there's multiple versions of all the characters or one dominant one? And when would this go into effect? The final events in Age of Ultron was a few years back I believe, before the Marvel Now rebranding.

I don't care what they do with the rest of the Ultimate universe but they better not touch my Ultimate Spidey. I love that book. And yeah Spider-Men was a fantastic read. The scene in issue #4 where he meets Ultimate Gwen, Aunt May and MJ (who runs away) is very touching.

So if they merge all the universes does that mean there's multiple versions of all the characters or one dominant one? And when would this go into effect? The final events in Age of Ultron was a few years back I believe, before the Marvel Now rebranding.
One thing I want to know if they kill off the rest of the Ultimate universe, what the fuck ever happened to Johnny Storm? It's like everyone forgot he even exists. The last you see was like in Ultimate Comics X-men on a news report that he was found severely dehydrated and looked to have been tortured.

Part of why sales are slipping (along with quality) is that the all the Ultimate books are 3.99. And they don't bring the same firepower with creative teams that most 4 dollar books do. I'd be more inclined to read the Ultimate books if they were $2.99 like they used to be.

It should also be noted that I stopped reading any and all Ultimate books following the Ultimatum.
I'm going to go into an old-man rant and say that I remember when comics were 50 cents and for 3 bucks, you got a 64 page Annual Special.

Batman/Superman from the other week was pretty good btw. I LOVE Jae Lee and it's amazing how a good colorist really makes his work come alive. He definitely popped into the scene at the right time because his current style wouldn't have worked 20+ years ago due to technology. I think he's a fan of the Singer Superman "S" as well.

Batman: Death by Design was a great book too. The art was simply amazing and made me realize how much depth is taken away from the pencil work when colors are used(depending on the style of course). The fact that the artist didn't use an eraser at all makes me admire the art even more.

I highly recommend Superior Foes of Spider-Man #1 to anybody on the fence about it. This book is right up Nick Spencer's alley and the pencil work is fantastic (by the same guy who did Hawkeye #7). The book is also pleasantly funny.

Avengers was good this week. This build-up to Infinity has been good. Sadly, the same can't be said about the build-up to Trinity War. I picked up Pandora #1 and it was pretty "meh." Nothing we didn't already know was given to us. 

Why did they have to put Steve Dillon back on Thunderbolts? There are few artists whose work I absolutely despise. He's one of them. Howard Chaykin is another, and though that is unrelated I felt like saying it regardless.

Looking forward to the Damian Wayne mini-series this October. Batman & Robin was my first New 52 comic, and I have to say, I think Damian is the character that encouraged me to pick up DC books when I was primarily a Marvel guy. Now everything I read is DC except for Deadpool-related comics. 

I miss that arrogant little bastard.

I'd care more about the mini-series if they hadn't said that it is possible that none of the series will matter because it happens in a "possible future." That kills all excitement for me.

Just figured I'd ask this while it's on my mind:

As I previously said, I pretty much started reading DC books with the New 52 outside of maybe a couple of issues of Batman before then. I just ordered the Batman: Black Glove Deluxe Edition and my intent is to read some (not all, just the most important bits) of Grant Morrison's run. I noticed that several reviews on Amazon mentioned that Batman and Son, Ressurection of Ra's Al Ghul, The Black Glove, and Batman R.I.P. are just the first four books in a 5 book story... but what is the fifth book? Return of bruce Wayne? Morisson's Batman and Robin? Batman Incorporated

I figured one of you fine folks could help me out with this question.

As I previously said, I pretty much started reading DC books with the New 52 outside of maybe a couple of issues of Batman before then. I just ordered the Batman: Black Glove Deluxe Edition and my intent is to read some (not all, just the most important bits) of Grant Morrison's run. I noticed that several reviews on Amazon mentioned that Batman and Son, Ressurection of Ra's Al Ghul, The Black Glove, and Batman R.I.P. are just the first four books in a 5 book story... but what is the fifth book? Return of bruce Wayne? Morisson's Batman and Robin? Batman Incorporated?

Even though I have the individual issues that make up the Black Glove Limited Edition, I had to get it because I loved the Batman and Son arc where Damian Wayne is introduced.

Looking forward to Kubert's Son of Batman limited series.

http://www.newsarama.com/18270-former-robin-damian-returns-in-new-series.html

As I previously said, I pretty much started reading DC books with the New 52 outside of maybe a couple of issues of Batman before then. I just ordered the Batman: Black Glove Deluxe Edition and my intent is to read some (not all, just the most important bits) of Grant Morrison's run. I noticed that several reviews on Amazon mentioned that Batman and Son, Ressurection of Ra's Al Ghul, The Black Glove, and Batman R.I.P. are just the first four books in a 5 book story... but what is the fifth book? Return of bruce Wayne? Morisson's Batman and Robin? Batman Incorporated?

Return of Bruce Wayne I guess would be the next part if we're talking the journey of Bruce Wayne, but I'd still recommend reading the Batman & Robin series after Batman R.I.P. merely because Damian working with Dick Grayson who's taking the role of Batman is some of my favorite Morrison Batman stuff. Just everything to how Dick is adjusting to fighting crime in a cape to Damian questioning the ways of his new partner. So by default then the last part of the whole Grant Morrison Batman epic is Batman Inc. with Bruce trying to take on Leviathan. which I think has only one issue left after this past week.

Time and the Batman is in there too but I agree that you should go right to Batman and Robin after R.I.P.

The 6th post on here has info on the Morrison run.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?449940-Best-Batman-Comics-for-New-Readers-Current-Titles-Top-Trades-and-Recent-Events
Thanks for the link, it was extremely helpful! I was having a hard time wrapping my head around what was neccessary to read and in what order. That cleared it all up nicely!

So, I decided to skip the Ressurection of Ra's Al Ghul. I just ordered Batman R.I.P., Time and The Batman, and Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn to go along with what I already bought. I'll get everything else later on once I've caught up.

Interestingly enough, as I was looking over my DC shelf I realized that I owned Heart of Hush, which I guess is a R.I.P. tie-in of sorts. I remember now that I bought it because I loved the first Hush story so much, I just never got around to reading it. Guess I'll have my chance now.

Thanks for the link, it was extremely helpful! I was having a hard time wrapping my head around what was neccessary to read and in what order. That cleared it all up nicely!

So, I decided to skip the Ressurection of Ra's Al Ghul. I just ordered Batman R.I.P., Time and The Batman, and Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn to go along with what I already bought. I'll get everything else later on once I've caught up.

Interestingly enough, as I was looking over my DC shelf I realized that I owned Heart of Hush, which I guess is a R.I.P. tie-in of sorts. I remember now that I bought it because I loved the first Hush story so much, I just never got around to reading it. Guess I'll have my chance now.

Sounds good to me....I've read through a lot of Morrison's run, I think you'll enjoy it. I've been waiting for Batman Inc #13 to dorp so I can finish it up al lat once.

While I did read all of the Morrison stuff as it came out, I must admit that it is even more mindblowingly amazing when you read it all together. 

Well, I guess we know the Villains officially win the Trinity War since they are all over the October solicitations. This is one of the main reasons I hate the comic industry sometimes. I'll still read Trinity War, but having it already spoiled is a real bummer. 

Well, I guess we know the Villains officially win the Trinity War since they are all over the October solicitations. This is one of the main reasons I hate the comic industry sometimes. I'll still read Trinity War, but having it already spoiled is a real bummer.
I Thought it was all abunch of one shots that for the most part have nothing to do with what's going on currently or current at the time of them coming.

And isn't part one of Trinity War this week in Justice League?

Yeah, pretty sure the whole villain thing in October is like those New Year's Evil one shots that they did in the 90's or the Spotlight on Evil they had a few years ago.

Well, I got lucky and won The Return of Bruce Wayne off of Listia, so that's one less book I'll have to buy. Just gotta wait and see if the guy actually sends it. If you guys aren't members you ought to check it out, I've won a couple of other graphic novels too: WoW Vol.1 (hardcover), Annihilation Book 2 (hardcover) and now this.

I forgot to mention that I also ordered Batman Beyond: 10,000 Clowns. I bought the first three digital chapters and liked it, and hell, I even liked Hush Beyond so I don't think I'm capable of being disappointed by a BB book.  

Nope. September is the Villains month. Then after that starts the Forever Evil storyline that will run into next year, so it is definitely more than just the Villain's month. 

Considering only now I hear that this is suppose to be a "big event" after Trinity War, I honestly have as much hype for this event after a crossover as Libra had a mini-series after Final Crisis. In short, we'll see, but I'm already aggressively shrugging. Plus I can't tell if I take more displeasure in this or companies hyping up the next big crossover a year or two in advance and it falling flat on it's face.

It was Ok. It certainly is missing a few parts and pieces, but I'm optimistic.

My rundown (besides JL)

Hawkeye #12 - Some of Fraction's best writing and I love Francavilla's pencils.

Star Wars #7 - A little stale and frantic, but another solid entry from Brian Wood.

East of West #4 - Absolutely superb issue after the previous lackluster issue. Such a rich and colorful universe.

Superman Unchained #2 - A little better than the debut issue. You can tell Snyder is still getting used to Superman's voice.

Batman #22 - Damn you Snyder for dragging this out! I want all the answers now!

Young Avengers #7 - What a beautiful and hilarious book. Prodigy is awesome.

I just got my Black Glove hardcover a few hours ago and I've already read half of it! I know people have praised Morrison's Batman stuff but, man, I really didn't think I would enjoy it this much. I just read the Batman #666 issue and now I'm even more hyped about the Damian mini series coming up soonish.

Also, that Bat-Bane guy is awesome - it's such a minor design tweak to Bane's costume but memorable at the same time. It needs to be a Bane costume in Injustice if it isn't already, haha.

Just wondering who is going to Comic-Con this year? Last year was my first and I'm heading back again.

I did enjoy it but I'm not sure if I will keep going every single year (That is if I am even able to get tickets every year).

So I've been buying the Morrison Bat-books at a faster rate than I planned... basically, I'm gonna be looking for the single issues of the New 52 Batman Incorporated soon. I didn't realize the paperback for volume 1 was so far off, and volume 2 won't be until sometime in 2014. That's why I'm considering the single issues - I could always have them custom-bound into a tpb later. Or maybe I'll just go for the hardcovers. Eh. 

Streets of Gotham is another series I'm getting too - for some reason I think Hush may be my favorite Batman villain, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it - except for the apparently abrupt ending according to reviews.

I finally got around to reading X-Sanction a few days ago - I liked it well enough, it was a pretty good Cable story. I've got no interest in where it leads though so I'll definitely be skipping Avengers vs X-Men, especially since I've heard nothing good about it.

bread's done
Back