Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread by any means, but I'm relatively (and unrelatively) new to the comic books world, and have been wanting to get involved for a little bit, but I've never really known where to start.

I've heard good things about Batman Inc. but upon further inspection I found that it hinges plot-wise off of four other Batman series (Batman RIP, Final Crisis, Batman and Robin, and The Return of Bruce Wayne). But even if I did start off on the first volume/issue of Batman RIP, I still might be missing out due to that being issue #676 of Batman and it containing unexplained references to previous issues. 

So I'm a bit lost as to where to start out. Would it be at all sensible for me to just start off with the first volume/issue of Batman RIP and hope I understand most of what's going on? I'm not extremely knowledgeable about the Batman series, but I believe I do know more than the average person does. 

Something else that came to mind is the revamp New 52, but I'm not exactly sure what DC's plans on that are. Do the revamped comics featured in New 52 follow the same original plotline that their predecessors did (obviously not identical, but close)? Or are they just operating upon the same ideas? Would the New 52 contain unexplained references to past issues? 

And, also, for Batman Inc., it's stated that Morrison had finished volume 1 when they New 52 initiated, thus revamping with a new volume 1. If I do read Batman Inc., should I even bother with the original volume? It seems rather pointless if that storyline is dropped only to be replaced with a new volume 1 that will be a precursor for volume 2. 

I'd be very grateful for pointers/suggestions as to where to start. (They don't have to be Batman related, of course, any thing revolving comics will do.) TIA.

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread by any means, but I'm relatively (and unrelatively) new to the comic books world, and have been wanting to get involved for a little bit, but I've never really known where to start.

I've heard good things about Batman Inc. but upon further inspection I found that it hinges plot-wise off of four other Batman series (Batman RIP, Final Crisis, Batman and Robin, and The Return of Bruce Wayne). But even if I did start off on the first volume/issue of Batman RIP, I still might be missing out due to that being issue #676 of Batman and it containing unexplained references to previous issues.

So I'm a bit lost as to where to start out. Would it be at all sensible for me to just start off with the first volume/issue of Batman RIP and hope I understand most of what's going on? I'm not extremely knowledgeable about the Batman series, but I believe I do know more than the average person does.

Something else that came to mind is the revamp New 52, but I'm not exactly sure what DC's plans on that are. Do the revamped comics featured in New 52 follow the same original plotline that their predecessors did (obviously not identical, but close)? Or are they just operating upon the same ideas? Would the New 52 contain unexplained references to past issues?

And, also, for Batman Inc., it's stated that Morrison had finished volume 1 when they New 52 initiated, thus revamping with a new volume 1. If I do read Batman Inc., should I even bother with the original volume? It seems rather pointless if that storyline is dropped only to be replaced with a new volume 1 that will be a precursor for volume 2.

I'd be very grateful for pointers/suggestions as to where to start. (They don't have to be Batman related, of course, any thing revolving comics will do.) TIA.
We discussed the Batman-Morrison stuff a bit earlier, but I'd say it's best to start from the beginning with Batman & Son when Morrison started and first introduced Damian and go from there. I'm not the biggest fan of it when it first started, but all the details and plot points Morrison slowly lay out all have pay offs as it goes on. So don't just start at RIP since you'll still be missing alot of points here and there.

As for the new 52, well if you have vague ideas of the DC Universe and never was into continuity then you'll be fine. Mostly because it's meant to be a relaunch of really the whole DC Universe for the most part with some new details and retelling's of nearly every character's origin and bits and pieces taken from stuff that happened before then. With that said, some comics ignore the whole 52 relaunch and just continue trucking as if nothing changed. Batman Inc. is one of them (the other is the Green Lantern series) so definetly read vol. 1 of it first then the New 52 version because those comics basically ignored the 52 relaunch since it's too much to reestablish otherwise. I Know it sounds like alot to get into when you're first getting into it, but basically just read everything in order and you'll be fine.

We discussed the Batman-Morrison stuff a bit earlier, but I'd say it's best to start from the beginning with Batman & Son when Morrison started and first introduced Damian and go from there. I'm not the biggest fan of it when it first started, but all the details and plot points Morrison slowly lay out all have pay offs as it goes on. So don't just start at RIP since you'll still be missing alot of points here and there.

As for the new 52, well if you have vague ideas of the DC Universe and never was into continuity then you'll be fine. Mostly because it's meant to be a relaunch of really the whole DC Universe for the most part with some new details and retelling's of nearly every character's origin and bits and pieces taken from stuff that happened before then. With that said, some comics ignore the whole 52 relaunch and just continue trucking as if nothing changed. Batman Inc. is one of them (the other is the Green Lantern series) so definetly read vol. 1 of it first then the New 52 version because those comics basically ignored the 52 relaunch since it's too much to reestablish otherwise. I Know it sounds like alot to get into when you're first getting into it, but basically just read everything in order and you'll be fine.
Ah, okay. I'll make sure to look up Batman and Son in a little bit.

I have basic knowledge about the DC Universe, so from what you say, I should be okay. That's about what my friend said. Thanks a lot for the post, it was very helpful.

Ah, okay. I'll make sure to look up Batman and Son in a little bit.

I have basic knowledge about the DC Universe, so from what you say, I should be okay. That's about what my friend said. Thanks a lot for the post, it was very helpful.

Take a gander at the last page or so of this thread, I literally just started reading the Morrison Batman stuff.

The Batman: The Black Glove Hardcover Deluxe Edition collects the first two chapters of Morrison's story, Batman & Son as well as The Black Glove, and should only run you about $20 or so. If you like the first taste (like I did. seriously, it all snowballed so quickly...) then you can continue from there with R.I.P. and everything else.

So, just wondering about the thoughts on the newest reveal of DC Animation:

http://www.newsarama.com/18378-justice-league-war-brings-new-52-to-dc-animation-in-2014.html

Justice League: War - The first arc of the New 52 Justice League story featuring Darkseid.

Hasn't Geoff Johns been directing the media side of DC for a few years now including animated projects? I'm kind of disappointed that the last three (Superman: Brainiac, Flashpoint, and now Justice League: War) were all his works initially and just irritates me a bit that with all the years and great stories they have to pick from, his works are getting chosen for these animated projects.

So, just wondering about the thoughts on the newest reveal of DC Animation:

http://www.newsarama.com/18378-justice-league-war-brings-new-52-to-dc-animation-in-2014.html

Justice League: War - The first arc of the New 52 Justice League story featuring Darkseid.

Hasn't Geoff Johns been directing the media side of DC for a few years now including animated projects? I'm kind of disappointed that the last three (Superman: Brainiac, Flashpoint, and now Justice League: War) were all his works initially and just irritates me a bit that with all the years and great stories they have to pick from, his works are getting chosen for these animated projects.
Maybe it'll finally explain why the fuck Batman took off his cowl and revealed his identity to go after Superman. Not a fan of that story in particular.

And I'm more annoyed we still don't have Teen Titans: Judas Contract animated.

I'm looking forward to it, if only because I didn't read past issue #1 of Justice League. Are they leaving Aquaman out, though? I didn't see his voice actor listed with the other Leaguers.

So I just finished R.I.P. and I gotta say, I thoroughly despise the God-like "Batman is prepared for ANYTHING" method for writing the character... but I think Morrison pulled it off nicely, and I'll be damned if the Batman of Zurr-Enn-Arrhh wasn't entertaining as hell - particularly because, in my mind, I switched his voice from Conroy's to Bale's exaggerated growl.

I was able to follow along pretty easily too, at least up until that final issue... what the hell? That seemed like a LOT of flashbacks to throw around all of a sudden... and I have no clue who that Batwoman was, I'll have to wikipedia her or something. Lump? Mokkari? Symian? I still don't know who those guys are. Don't recall ever seeing them in any other comics or cartoons I've read or watched.

I guess Time and The Batman is up next.  

I was able to follow along pretty easily too, at least up until that final issue... what the hell? That seemed like a LOT of flashbacks to throw around all of a sudden... and I have no clue who that Batwoman was, I'll have to wikipedia her or something. Lump? Mokkari? Symian? I still don't know who those guys are. Don't recall ever seeing them in any other comics or cartoons I've read or watched.

The last two issues were tied into the Final Crisis event that Morrison wrote. It was his love letter to Jack Kirbys New Gods stuff which is where those characters originated from.

And I cant remember those two issues very well, so no idea about the Batwoman. But Morrisons whole idea was that everything in Batmans mythology actually happened, so I think its the Silver Age Batwoman. Not sure if shes related to the current Batwoman.

I'm looking forward to it, if only because I didn't read past issue #1 of Justice League. Are they leaving Aquaman out, though? I didn't see his voice actor listed with the other Leaguers.

So I just finished R.I.P. and I gotta say, I thoroughly despise the God-like "Batman is prepared for ANYTHING" method for writing the character... but I think Morrison pulled it off nicely, and I'll be damned if the Batman of Zurr-Enn-Arrhh wasn't entertaining as hell - particularly because, in my mind, I switched his voice from Conroy's to Bale's exaggerated growl.

To get the whole picture you have to go straight from RIP into the two "untold story" issues that came out a while later and fill in the gap between the fall of Hurt and Batman's being captured by Darkseid's forces. You also need to read the complete Final Crisis (Final Crisis, Superman Beyond 3D, LSH series) before heading into Time and The Batman so you have the whole picture, otherwise shit can get really confusing.

Eh. I've sank quite a bit of money into what I've already bought, I think I'll skip Final Crisis and just use wikipedia for whatever gaps I come across. Thanks for the info though!

Has anyone else seen Flashpoint Paradox yet? I never read Flashpoint itself so I don't know how accurate it was but, man, I think it's my favorite DC animated feature so far! I'm going to throw up some spoilers now, but they're more about the tone than the story itself:
It's just so brutal - impalement, beheadings, headshots galore, arrows through heads, dismemberment, people burned and vaporized, tons and tons of blood and even some light cursing... I'm shocked and I loved every minute of it.
Some of the designs were wonky - Aquaman especially was way too bulky, and the Amazons all looked extremely thin and frail which was mildly irritating, but otherwise the art direction was pretty good... just maybe too anime-ish at times. The music is pretty forgettable too but that's a minor nit to be picked. 

As a Young Justice fan I was also giddy as hell about a certain cameo. It was a non-speaking role as far as I can remember, but the character got to kick some ass regardless. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question. Anyone go the route of binding their single issues? Looking to clear room, but thought of binding arcs that were never collected in tpb format.

Found a site Il be going through in the next few weeks to give it a try

Maybe it'll finally explain why the fuck Batman took off his cowl and revealed his identity to go after Superman. Not a fan of that story in particular.

And I'm more annoyed we still don't have Teen Titans: Judas Contract animated.
I also wouldn't mind someone explaining to me how Hal Jordan doesn't know who Bruce fucking Wayne is...guess Hal doesn't own a TV...or computer...and can't read...and has been living under a rock...on Mars...

I am a bit disappointed with many of these latest DC animated movies being more recent tales, with the exception of Dark Knight Returns, which was awesome, by the way. You have a nearly infinite library of classic stories to adapt.

Quick question. Anyone go the route of binding their single issues? Looking to clear room, but thought of binding arcs that were never collected in tpb format.

Found a site Il be going through in the next few weeks to give it a try
This is something I've been thinking about doing for a while now, but I've never pulled the trigger on it. I found a useful FAQ a while back that I stuck in favorites, maybe you should take a quick look. There's a list somewhere in there of the most well-known places that do comic binding.

If you do it, let me know how it goes.

I just recently begun to pick up older issues to fill in gaps in my collection and was wondering if someone could give me some advice on a particular issue? I came across a NM- Uncanny X-Men 141, the first part of the Days Of Future Past storyline and was wondering if $60 was a good price for it?

Question for those of you who know more about stuff than I do: I bought the SDCC exclusive Simpsons book (Frink #1/Burns #1) and managed to get Matt Groening to sign and draw a personalized Homer on the inside cover. I sort of want to frame it as artwork, but have no idea the best way to do it. It's somewhat of a thicker issue with more of a binding than typical comics have, so outside of a bag and board, I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions?

Question for those of you who know more about stuff than I do: I bought the SDCC exclusive Simpsons book (Frink #1/Burns #1) and managed to get Matt Groening to sign and draw a personalized Homer on the inside cover. I sort of want to frame it as artwork, but have no idea the best way to do it. It's somewhat of a thicker issue with more of a binding than typical comics have, so outside of a bag and board, I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions?
could you do maybe a 3D box that would force the page open, that way you can see it from all angles.. be a bit much to display though...

Maybe just take a picture of it and display it?

Any suggestions?
I think the earlier mention is it. One of those display boxes is probably the only way to go if you want to display it.

I have some Groening, Kirkman and Kevin Eastman signed stuff that I'd like to display at some point, but wouldn't want to have a whole book on a box on a shelf somewhere. For Kirkman it is just a single signed variant of issue 100 of Walking Dead so I could just do that easy enough. For the other stuff I'd have to go the shadow box method, but that would take up too much room and then I wouldn't be able to admire it inside the book.

And Batman and Son being slated to be part of the DC animated movie universe has me excited that we'll see the rest of Morrison's insane Batman arc translated to animation.

Slightly comic related, but 2000AD is doing a petition I guess to see the interest in a Dredd sequel...

http://2000adonline.us5.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=a6e40236aa24d482cfff600d2&id=62906ebdcc

Yes, yes I would love a Judge Death storyline with possibly more 3D violence. I Would love that very much.
Hell yeah, I signed. My enjoyment for the last one was killed somewhat because I (by pure chance) ended up watching The Raid: Redemption two days before seeing Dredd in theaters, but I loved it regardless - I mean, you've got to respect any production that allows the star's face to be concealed by a helmet for the entire movie.

Anyhoo, I got this month's comics in the mail today - for those of you reading Trinity War, can it be enjoyed issue to issue or should I just wait until the whole crossover is in my hands?

I remember buying it for about 20 five years back, can't imagine it's gone up that much in price to be honest.
The potential of it being the inspiration for the new movie is likely enough to drive speculation on it up. For instance, as soon as Thanos appeared at the end of Avengers his first appearance jumped in value.

yeah probably the best book to look for at a local shop is hulk 271 which is the 1st rocket raccoon. I can usually pick them up for $1 each. People are going to be on top of pricing for byrne xmen issues. I wish I could have bought the whole run years ago, but now is the worst time to look for them. Still kicking myself for passing up the 1st wolverine in a huge hulk lot on ebay about 10 years ago. The lot went for $300, was about 250 books and had 181 in Fine + condition.

Incredible Hulk #180 and #181 are the gems in my collection. Both are in NM condition too! I got them both in a lot of comics when I was a kid. Didn't even realize they were worth anything or were Wolvie's first appearance until the first X-Men movie came out.

oh you guys could appreciate this...I went to half price books and noticed they restocked comics. There were 3 other people looking at them. I noticed the one guy had xforce 2 in his hand. The only reason I noticed is because I pick them up cheap if i see them since technically it is the 2nd appearance of deadpool. I noticed he had some other x books in his stack. He ended up walking away and I hit the side that he was looking at. I noticed a run of new mutants books. I saw a 1st print of 87 and was pretty excited, then I saw 98 and I almost jizzed my pants! Thats the 1st deadpool in case anyone doesnt know that. I can't believe that guy missed it! They are both perfect/unread copies. I also pulled the second appearance of hobgoblin (asm 239) that day too!

I have too many Gems to post here, but I have a ton of #1s autographed by both the writer and artist (The Walking Dead, Saga, Hawkeye and Mockingbird, Mystery Society, and a ton more). I'm also an avid collector of Skottie Young variant covers in hopes that I can get him to sign all of them one day. Haha.

A few minor gems but nothing major: Uncanny X-Men #14 (1st Sentinal fair condition), Marvel Spotlight #5 (1st Ghost Rider great condition), Iron Man #55 (1st Thanos in amazing condition). I also have every Amazing Spider-man with Venom & Carnage. I was a huge Venom fan as a kid.

More recent stuff is a sketch variant of Kick Ass#1 and the 1st print of the Spidey/Obama comic & the death of Cap.

Funny enough a buddy at work said he had some comics from his childhood. He claimed they were worth a lot. I asked him to bring them in. He had the typical 90's lot. Spawn #1, X-Force #1, Death of Superman, X-Men #1, some silver and gold foil covers of milestone issues. I told him his stuff isn't worth much. He didn't believe me so we proceeded to eBay and showed what they were going for. He was crushed.

hmm, yeah idk what my best books are...I have some vf amazing spiderman books like #101. I have a beat to shit copy of amazing 14 (1st green goblin I bought at auction for $5 a few years ago). The mcfarlane run in VF/NM. I'm still trying to buy amazing spiderman 1-200 from a friend of the family, but I would be paying thousands for them. Most of if not all of my collection I paid under $3 a book for. I have the 1st elecktra in vf, a few copies of the hulk issue with wolverine, basically every modern key. A lot of bronze keys, some silver keys, and so on.  I got this crazy lot at a garage sale...IDK if i ever posted them here.

Here are some pics: I think I paid $30-$35 for them. The ASM 14 was $5 as stated above at auction

capt 100, issues 11 and 14 of the avengers

The funny thing is, going through my old comic collection the thing I thought would be totally worthless is actually worth the most.
I have the leather bound Frank Miller Batman collection, it's not even open out of the plastic.

Listed new anywhere from $140-200.

I have a few that I see going for $60. But nothing major that I know of.

I took a brief break from the Grant Morrison stuff (I'm about to start B&R: Batman Reborn) to re-read Hush Beyond and Industrial Revolution, and also to read 10,000 Clowns for the first time. I love how they finally made the Jokerz gang an actual threat for once, and Neo Gotham gets seriously messed up as a result. It's also fun seeing an old, grumpy eyepatch-wearing version of Dick Grayson running around and kicking some ass too. The ending was a little abrupt, I would've liked to see some of the clean-up but I suppose that's for the next volume. I'm tempted to buy the digital chapters that come afterwards instead of trade waiting.

Anybody reading Green Arrow? If so,
has he ever had a sister before? I'm hoping they aren't just trying to make it
more like the TV show by giving him a (what I assume to be) bratty little sister.
. I do love the tv show though, and I'm beyond excited that they're adding Flash to season 2 and then spinning him off into his own show. Hopefully this means the door will be open for more superpowered characters... and seriously, if Flash gets his speed from piece of tech he wears then I will be pretty pissed. 

Anyone sold a large chunk of their collection before?

I ask because, frankly, I don't have the room to keep my collection anymore. I'm ready to purge. I never read through my single issues like I did when I was a kid, and I am more trade collecting than anything now.

Any suggestions? I know there are options around here where the comic stores will buy a longbox of comics for $15, but man if that isn't a depressing option...

Anyone sold a large chunk of their collection before?

I ask because, frankly, I don't have the room to keep my collection anymore. I'm ready to purge. I never read through my single issues like I did when I was a kid, and I am more trade collecting than anything now.

Any suggestions? I know there are options around here where the comic stores will buy a longbox of comics for $15, but man if that isn't a depressing option...
I'd be interested in knowing about different options as well. I just put up all of my Wolverine Origins singles (#1-24) on ebay. Got about $45 for 'em, so I'm happy, but if there's another way besides Craigslist or ebay then I'd be happy to hear about it.

If we're talking about newer stuff, I have lots of gems in my collection. I have Deadpool's, Cable's, X-Man's, X-23's, Apocalypse's, Mr. Sinister's, Multiple Man's first appearances and tons of other X-character firsts. It's all mainly because my uncle was a huge X-Men guy, though. I have a lot of Thor first appearances, too. Off the top of my head, favorite is Kurse or Malekith's first appearances. They're soooo good.

When it comes to other characters/universes, my collection is a lot more sparse on firsts. I have MJ's first appearance, Ben Reilly's first everything, Hobgoblin's first appearance, Venom's first appearance, Carnage's first appearance, and the first appearance of the Symbiote suit (both Spidey #252 and the origin issue from Secret Wars), Invincible's first appearance, first issue of the first printing of Walking Dead, Lobo's first appearance (which I got for 50 cents), Superboy's first appearance (Connor Kent), and the first appearance of each of the modern iterations of Supergirl. I know outside of the Spidey and Walking Dead stuff none of it's worth much, but it's nice to have. I often think of seriously going after the first appearances of some characters that I absolutely adore, but I've been so tight on space lately that I'm giving up serious collecting for right now and just focusing on going digital. I still buy the usual physical stuff I was getting (IE everything Batman and Spider-Man), but I'm holding off on buying tons of back issues and just getting the collected editions on Nook. And I must admit that it's working pretty well. I have read over a hundred issues of Invincible over the course of 4 days and it all fit on a teeny little piece of tech with no problem.

The funny thing is, going through my old comic collection the thing I thought would be totally worthless is actually worth the most.
I have the leather bound Frank Miller Batman collection, it's not even open out of the plastic.

Listed new anywhere from $140-200.

I have a few that I see going for $60. But nothing major that I know of.

That Frank Miller Batman collection is nice. I had him sign my copy a long time ago at a comic book shop around the time his Spawn Batman crossover came out.

Everyone should check out the Animal Man Annual #2 that came out this week. It's a real tear-jerker and probably the best annual of the New 52 so far.

Also, the Skottie Young Angela Variant for Guardians of the Galaxy #5 is one on his best. That brings my Skottie Young Variant total to 30!

Everyone should check out the Animal Man Annual #2 that came out this week. It's a real tear-jerker and probably the best annual of the New 52 so far.

Also, the Skottie Young Angela Variant for Guardians of the Galaxy #5 is one on his best. That brings my Skottie Young Variant total to 30!
I Held back from picking it up this week, but it's in my hold box so I'll get Animal Man Annual next week. Thanks!

Also did anyone get the new Batman annual? Is it worth it?

I'm not sure it is worth the asking price of 5 bucks. I was under the impression that Scott Snyder was writing it and then I started reading it. You will instantly notice that it is one of his underlings that wrote it. Snyder only helped with the script. It's not all that bad, but it isn't necessary reading. It does some have some interesting insight to the origins and history of new 52 Arkman, though, if you're interested in that.

So I take it overall not really worth it?

After picking up that Guardians annual awhile back I am waaaay more reserved about picking up annuals.

Yeah, I usually only pick up annuals if the main writer is on. DC wanted to troll us I guess by putting Scott Snyder's name on the cover. I'd skip it, personally. I can at least save someone five bucks. It doesn't really add anything to Zero Year either, even though it has Zero Year in big ass letters on the cover.

I actually liked the Batman annual. It's not necessary essential reading, but I dug the story.

Animal Man Annual blew it away though. Terrific.

Thought this would be the best place for this:

Amazon currently has a pre-order for the Batman Court of Owls (vol 1) paperback with mask for only $10.49. Which is a better deal than the TPB itself at $12.92. The mask and book set isn't out till October 8 but it'll arrive in time for Halloween. A better picture of the set is here.

bread's done
Back