Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

I can't help but wonder just how much the writers and crew of Supernatural have knowingly lifted from long-established occult fiction since the beginning. Hellblazer has been around for a pretty long time, after all. I'm not very far into it, but I'd find it hard to believe that there isn't a faith healer storyline in there somewhere right along with everything else Constantine is now adapting. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just disappointed with how Constantine is telling these stories, even if they have been told plenty of times. These days you can't afford to copy Supernatural, especially when the show airing before Constantine does that and so much more. Hellblazer did a lot to bring these occult stories into pop culture, but the showrunners are doing little to make its freakflag fly.

So, Mark Hamill is being brought back to play Trickster James Jesse in the Flash tv show.

That just shows how awesome that crew is. They aren't shying away from the cheesy 90's Flash tv series at all, and are now bringing back three actors who once starred in it. Getting John Wesley Shipp to play Barry's dad was already a good move, then they announced Amanda Pays is coming back to play a new version of Tina McGee, and now the return of Hamill's Trickster? Amazing. 

What I'm really hoping is for a little multiverse episode. Get all of the TV Flashes together and Party! Pretty sure Michael Rosenbaum can do a little costume business.

Geoff Johns mentioned on Twitter that the Titans pilot is being filmed next year. I was starting to think it was passed on since there had been no news ever since it was announced. Confirmed that Nightwing is indeed a part of the show, too. So that's good. Probably won't be too awful long before we start getting casting news, which should get interesting.

I'm finally getting caught up on Thunderbolts since it ended. Such an awesome team... and so much wasted potential. Ghost Rider is being written like a douchebag, too. Venom was suddenly written out. Deadpool has had a couple of good moments here and there, but otherwise he's just kind of around. I'm hoping Punisher vs Thunderbolts is at least a decent arc so it'll go out on a high note.

Gotham is a fun show to watch because it's a given cluster fuck. It takes place in a strange 1940s-2010s hybrid, the criminals are colorful and serial at the same time. Plus it's got Donal Logue.

Krypton in modern interpretations has always been seen as a complete an utter sh-hole, even in Superman Returns. Goyer fuck ed up Hellblazer, and they're going to keep trusting him with another outpost? Ugh.

Now if the Krypton in the tv show was going to resemble the one in the Silver Age comic books, then I'm game. There's a map of the planet at work and it's pretty crazy. An Island of Thieves, another nation of Black Scientific Minds, a cavern of magnetic energy? Woah!

So... I'm looking forward to some future explanations about what the heck I just watched on Flash.

Ronnie's inclusion seemed forced... but damn was his last appearance a great moment.

My favorite internet comment about the episode? This x1000:    "Seriously, I didn't see that coming because I saw it coming from a mile away"

Pretty much sums up my feelings.

The most interesting reveal from last night was that "a red speedster" was there the night Zoom killed Barry's mother. Barry from the future? In the comics, he created the Flashpoint universe by going back and stopping his mother's death. Maybe he and Zoom were fighting, and Zoom got the upper hand. Or, like in the comics, yet another version of Barry travels back to stop himself from interfering.

Did not see that coming on Arrow. So...Lazarus Pit time?
I would assume so. The hints are there. Meryln has been running around with a vial of green liquid around his neck for a while now, after already eluding death once. Ra's mentioned that no one had challenged him to a duel in 67 years. Plus... I mean, yeah, a Lazarus Pit (or this universe's equivalent) is the only possible way.

I am a little curious to see what Merlyn's end game here is. He had to know that Oliver would not be able to kill Ra's...and even if he did, as you pointed out, he is probably already aware of (and possibly has used) the powers of the Lazarus Pit.

Nice little cliffhanger there. Felicity just seems to pull in the rich vigilantes. If she ever travels to Gotham she's going to have problems.

I thought Oliver would throw both he and Raysh down the mountain. But I was not that shocked at the turnout of the fight. Maseo being an Assassin was way more surprising. I'm not that impressed with the casting, the actor definitely couldn't shake his Australian accent. Besides, what happened last night on SHIELD was way more sad.

So when the show comes back, it'll be retitled Atom. Up and at them!

Cripes. Tom Taylor will no longer be writing Injustice: Year 3 as of print issue #8, due to an increasingly busy schedule. Dammit. This is the one series I was hoping would keep the same writer throughout the entire run. Apparently Earth 2 and Superior iron Man are more important to him.

Cripes. Tom Taylor will no longer be writing Injustice: Year 3 as of print issue #8, due to an increasingly busy schedule. Dammit. This is the one series I was hoping would keep the same writer throughout the entire run. Apparently Earth 2 and Superior iron Man are more important to him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eal4fep7pK4

So a huge retcon involving Magneto/Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch

They're not his children and not mutants. Marvel movies taking back what's theirs

So a huge retcon involving Magneto/Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch

They're not his children and not mutants. Marvel movies taking back what's theirs
That retcon is so stupid, they were already able to be in the movie, it just messes with their history in the comics.

The whole inversion thing in Marvel feels like a waste of time to me. It's only a matter of time before everything is back to normal. There may be a few lingering characters who stay nicer than they were or others who are slighlty darker, but you aren't going to have Sabertooth, Carnage, Mystique and all the rest as the new Avengers.

Also a question - whatever happened to reborn Angel? I feel like he has pretty much disappeared aside from the few appearances he made after the X-Force run.

The whole inversion thing in Marvel feels like a waste of time to me. It's only a matter of time before everything is back to normal. There may be a few lingering characters who stay nicer than they were or others who are slighlty darker, but you aren't going to have Sabertooth, Carnage, Mystique and all the rest as the new Avengers.

Also a question - whatever happened to reborn Angel? I feel like he has pretty much disappeared aside from the few appearances he made after the X-Force run.
I think in premise (I haven't read any of it yet) inversion seems like an interesting diversion from the norm and it seems sabertooth is going to be in the next version of Unacanny Avengers

That is one stuuuupid recon of having Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver becoming Inhumans because they haven't been bathed in Terragen Mists until now. There was a big story about Quicksilver trying to marry Thunderbolt's Sister-in-Law, and now that was pointless all along? What the hell.

Yup. That's why I stopped reading Marvel a couple of years ago. Can't leave well enough alone and let the movies be their own thing. They have to mangle the comics to better reflect the cinematic universe.

I think in premise (I haven't read any of it yet) inversion seems like an interesting diversion from the norm and it seems sabertooth is going to be in the next version of Unacanny Avengers
I guess that is a good way to look at it. A diversion. It is interesting enough seeing them all morally swapped, but I things will go back to the normal for the most part eventually. Friendly neighborhood Carnange won't be around for too long.

I will be interesting to see Sabertooth good for a while. I like him in the Age of Apocalypse universe. Right now he is against Apocalypse where as like 5 months ago he tried to pretty much destroy the world and make it some survival of the fittest nature jungle kind of thing.

Good Dr. Doom is pretty cool though. Still arrogant and referring to himself in the third person.

Nice to see actual comic discussion in the comic thread.

It'll be interesting to see how this upcoming Sabretooth storyline will compare to the run when he was on the X-Men team for a little while.  I've always found him to be a rather dull character as a viliain, very one-dimensional.  Maybe this will redeem the decision to bring him back from the dead (ugh).

Hard to tell if there's any kind of color to it, or even see any details, but it looks okay. I like that they're keeping the symbol. I would hope that he at least wears the headpiece, but no hero who has one has ever had it in live-action. Maybe it looks goofier in real life than on the page.

Man. Even Charles Soule couldn't save Thunderbolts from mediocrity. It's a little hard to get through, honestly.   

That is one stuuuupid recon of having Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver becoming Inhumans because they haven't been bathed in Terragen Mists until now. There was a big story about Quicksilver trying to marry Thunderbolt's Sister-in-Law, and now that was pointless all along? What the hell.
His name is Black Bolt.

Nice to see actual comic discussion in the comic thread.

It'll be interesting to see how this upcoming Sabretooth storyline will compare to the run when he was on the X-Men team for a little while. I've always found him to be a rather dull character as a viliain, very one-dimensional. Maybe this will redeem the decision to bring him back from the dead (ugh).
Agreed. I Thought there was an Arrow thread. I Don't need to come into this thread for comic books with spoilers for Flash and Arrow all the time.

Also this further shows Marvel is a spineless company because of the movies that they're more then willing to bend over backwards in anyway. Though I did pick up the first volume of the Hawkeye hardcover, this book better make me shit bricks.

And if Marvel should retcon anything, how about in the very least explaining how a goddamn Holocaust survivor still has fucking abs and is alive and well and only seems to get stronger.

I remember there was a plot point where Magneto got turned into a baby in the 1980s, 'cause Chris Claremont drama. The Marvel 3 years = 1 thing went out the window in the 1990s anyway, considering the arrested development of Spider-Man.

I want comic book companies to try to bank on the success of their multi-billion dollar movies, but Marvel retconning to please fans of the movies/tv shows is pretty stupid. If anything they have to mend their editorial direction. A comic book hopes for 100,000 readers, when a movie aims for hundreds of millions at a range of demographics? Ain't that a disconnect.

I remember there was a plot point where Magneto got turned into a baby in the 1980s, 'cause Chris Claremont drama. The Marvel 3 years = 1 thing went out the window in the 1990s anyway, considering the arrested development of Spider-Man.

I want comic book companies to try to bank on the success of their multi-billion dollar movies, but Marvel retconning to please fans of the movies/tv shows is pretty stupid. If anything they have to mend their editorial direction. A comic book hopes for 100,000 readers, when a movie aims for hundreds of millions at a range of demographics? Ain't that a disconnect.
I'm more curious as to how many people who enjoyed the comic book movie actually goes out to buy the comic it's based on. Me and my friend's have met plenty of people who buy t-shirts or whatever of a big Marvel film, but never ever touch the comics and really have no interest. Since from my personal standpoint this is just a way of merely pissing off long time readers. That and it seems majority of comic sales these days come from trades and hardcovers if there is an upswing in interest after a movie so I don't know why they gotta make people who actively support them on a monthly basis have to suffer.

I would like to know as well. A few years ago, a comic book store owner told me people tend to buy graphic novels more than single issues because of these movies, and $25 for a book is much easier to swallow than $4 for a single issue. And it doesn't help the comic book stores that the graphic novels can be bought anywhere, from Amazon to Walmart to Barnes & Noble and drug stores. Of course, one never has to worry about Archie Comics, because everywhere you go from New York to Pakistan, you can't not find a digest.

I'm more curious as to how many people who enjoyed the comic book movie actually goes out to buy the comic it's based on. Me and my friend's have met plenty of people who buy t-shirts or whatever of a big Marvel film, but never ever touch the comics and really have no interest. Since from my personal standpoint this is just a way of merely pissing off long time readers. That and it seems majority of comic sales these days come from trades and hardcovers if there is an upswing in interest after a movie so I don't know why they gotta make people who actively support them on a monthly basis have to suffer.
Eh theoretically it'll make a difference to future readers. I think Disney is hoping to get more kids back into comics and having things align closer between the various universes reduces confusion.

In practice it just pisses off long time readers and when I was a kid I managed to enjoy my comics without worrying comic/cartoon continuity. This would be during the marvel cartoons on Fox heyday so there were a lot of differences between the worlds. Didn't care, super heroes were cool! So yeah it's really stupid but maybe we'll get a decent story out of it.

Surely they wouldn't leave something with the Scarlet Witch unresolved and hanging in limbo for years only to have a very unsatisfying conclusion that doesn't actually resolve anything. Right?

Sigh.

Spider-Woman is getting a new costume and apparent de-aging (art style-wise) ala Batgirl, most likely to try to gain some goodwill from the people who bitched about that variant cover from a while back - even though those are not the people buying the damn book. She's always had one of my favorite superhero costumes, and this new one doesn't have the benefit of being a good design on its own, unlike Batgirl's. Assuming this sticks around, I bet this is the type of design they'd go for in the movie universe... which is lame as hell.

I'm not hating the costume, though it should've been done when she was rebooted by Bendis. I guess fans will miss her shapely figure, 'cause teh boobs. It reminds me of a reverse Jean Grey. She wasn't that hot when she premiered, but as the story went on and the art style changed, she grew two cups and everybody was all gaga over her and her clone.

It's not worth raging about, if there is a new story direction.

I like Spider-Gwen's design, not really feeling new Jessica Drew. Its not just the clothes, she just looks very young now like she is in high school. I always thought of her as being one of the older characters like being in her mid-30's where this makes her seem like she is 18. Maybe I just thought of her as being older because she was running around Madripoor with Wolverine during his Patch days.

Spider-Gwen is fine looking and acting young since she is like 20 I'm guessing? She was in her garage band and everything else in her one-shot. Batgirl is in college so her feeling real young doesn't feel off to me either.

I'm not hating the costume, though it should've been done when she was rebooted by Bendis. I guess fans will miss her shapely figure, 'cause teh boobs. It reminds me of a reverse Jean Grey. She wasn't that hot when she premiered, but as the story went on and the art style changed, she grew two cups and everybody was all gaga over her and her clone.
It's not worth raging about, if there is a new story direction.
The book reduction from ridiculous as seen in the last pic on the link to normal I am totally fine with but the face does look a lot younger like a hero in the early 20s.I agree with other posters. Jess has always seemed like one of the heroes in her mid 30s

bread's done
Back