Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

The last variant I got was the Batgirl-Purple Rain cover. Besides that I don't think I've ever purposely sought out a variant.

And the Sex Criminals hardcover (AKA Big Hard Sex Criminals) is fucking awesome. Big fan of hardcovers with dumb jokes hidden behind the slipcover.

I Wanted it as well, but my comic shop was charging a ridiculous amount and they only had one left.

And did anyone pick up Deadpool #45?
I did, of course, but I'm way behind. I still have to read the Zenpool arc. Looked up spoilers for how he dies, though, because i couldn't help myself. Very underwhelmed.

Oh yeah. I wouldn't have paid $100 for it. Midtown had it listed for $51 even though it was OOS and I thought that was really pushing it.

I never understood why there were blank white variants. Thanks for cluing me in.

I never buy variants unless it's just something that is awesome to me. I'm a big Run the Jewels fan and thought the concept was brilliant. Really bummed out but oh well. How much was your store charging for it?
My cousin does sketch cards for various sets and he usually buys blank variants for comics he likes so he can do a sketch on them and sell them. You'd be surprised how much some people pay for that kinda stuff.

The last variant I got was the Batgirl-Purple Rain cover.
I want that one too. I wouldn't mind picking up the bombshell covers, but I hate paying more than $1 for anything. I did manage to pick up most of the lego DC variants for $1 each at a comic store that was closing and a SAGA issue 7 (1st print) and a couple random Walking Dead issues (below issue 100).

I actually passed on the bombshell cover for the Harley Quinn Annual #1 and got the regular one since I liked it better.

Does anyone else read Birthright? I think 1 person commented when I said I got the first trade. My local shops don't seem to ever have single issues of Birthright in stock, so I was unable to get the new #6 this week.

I did still walk out with 12 issues this time around:

• Ant-Man #4
• Avengers Millennium #2
• Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier #7
• Captain Marvel #14
• Convergence #1
• Convergence Harley Quinn #1
• Convergence Superman #1
• Darth Vader #4
• Howard the Duck #2
• S.H.I.E.L.D. #4
• True Believers: Civil War #1
• True Believers: Planet Hulk #1

Last edited by a moderator:
Daredevil is pretty awesome. It's basically R-rated which blows my mind. (MCU with actual side-boob!) the fight sequence at the end of episode 2 is bad ass. After watching this I think Spider-Man should be a show. It would work much better IMO.

Daredevil is pretty awesome. It's basically R-rated which blows my mind. (MCU with actual side-boob!) the fight sequence at the end of episode 2 is bad ass. After watching this I think Spider-Man should be a show. It would work much better IMO.
Agree with the Spider-man, though it'll never happen as they'll make boatloads more money with their next reboot.

Bullseye and Elektra when they appear (more than likely next season) will be crazy badass. I'm eager for Murdock to fight abunch of ninja's, especially with the choreography they have going on now.

I actually passed on the bombshell cover for the Harley Quinn Annual #1 and got the regular one since I liked it better.

Does anyone else read Birthright? I think 1 person commented when I said I got the first trade. My local shops don't seem to ever have single issues of Birthright in stock, so I was unable to get the new #6 this week.
I read Birthright and it's quite good. Definitely keep up with it if you can.

I think they already introduced Bullseye as I was re watching the episodes. At the very least they have someone that they could be Bullseye. Pretty sure they had a reference to Electra too. That show has been packed with references all over the place and I'm sure I missed a lot of them.

I think they already introduced Bullseye as I was re watching the episodes. At the very least they have someone that they could be Bullseye. Pretty sure they had a reference to Electra too. That show has been packed with references all over the place and I'm sure I missed a lot of them.
There's a reference to Elektra in one of the flashback's, but you have to know her relationship with Matt prior to her being full assassin in the comics to get it. As for Bullseye, he's yet to be cast or anything so I think that one is still up in the air.

There's a reference to Elektra in one of the flashback's, but you have to know her relationship with Matt prior to her being full assassin in the comics to get it. As for Bullseye, he's yet to be cast or anything so I think that one is still up in the air.
The guy I thought they may pull into be Bullseye is
the sniper taking out the cops during that hostage situation. It looks like there was a card in his tactical bag.
I could be overthinking or seeing something that wasn't there. They may not use that at all but I think that is there to use if they wanted to.

The guy I thought they may pull into be Bullseye is
the sniper taking out the cops during that hostage situation. It looks like there was a card in his tactical bag.
I could be overthinking or seeing something that wasn't there. They may not use that at all but I think that is there to use if they wanted to.
The only problem I have with that is
the shot was intended for Ulrich it seems with how the crossheir's were constantly lining up to him and it seems less impressive of an entrance if he were to miss and hit Blake instead. Unless I'm overthinking it and it indeed was intended for him. So who knows, you maybe right.

Olivia Munn will play the role of Psylocke in the upcoming film X-Men: Apocalypse, director Bryan Singer announced today on Instagram.

Not sure how I feel about this. Psylocke was one of my favorite (race switched ;) ) characters and Olivia is beautiful (I met her at comic con in 2008), but I am not sure she has the acting ability.

--

Oh and Gotham is back to new episodes tonight.

Not that excited for Olivia Munn playing Psylocke, but I guess she'll do unless there's a turnaround and they get the actress who originally played her. I honestly can't tell the difference between Psylocke post and after body swap. I mean it's basically a hot woman with purple hair and psychic powers in the comic tradition.

There's how many mutant's in Apocalypse again? So more then likely she'll be there for 5 minutes total and that's it. So eitherway, meh.

for the life of me don't understand why there is difficulty in making a wonder woman movie. they are making an antman movie for fuck sake lol.

for the life of me don't understand why there is difficulty in making a wonder woman movie. they are making an antman movie for fuck sake lol.
Because DC/WB is playing catch up to the Marvel films and trying to establish their own connected superhero universe. The problem with this though is that the director's have to play ball and work in the environment of making a movie of their vision and not give much freedom for director's or writer's who want to work beyond what they have planned both in the shared universe vision and preset release date.

And Marvel by now can almost do no wrong. They made a movie with a talking tree and raccoon into one of the highest grossing films of 2014.

Because DC/WB is playing catch up to the Marvel films and trying to establish their own connected superhero universe. The problem with this though is that the director's have to play ball and work in the environment of making a movie of their vision and not give much freedom for director's or writer's who want to work beyond what they have planned both in the shared universe vision and preset release date.

And Marvel by now can almost do no wrong. They made a movie with a talking tree and raccoon into one of the highest grossing films of 2014.
Marvel has lost directors, Edgar Wright, jon favreau didn't come back for Iron Man 3 and one or both Thor directors are gone. Marvel didn't give Wright enough freedom despite Ant Man existing because of his push for it.

We live in a world where a movie about giant turtles who eat pizza and do kung fu can also make money, a talking raccoon and tree isn't that much of a stretch.

I guess not many people around where I live care about Marvel's "True Believers" line. My main store hasn't ordered any of the series. My secondary shop got them the first 2 weeks but not this week. Owner ordered me a copy of each, though. It's cool to get stuff I haven't read for $1 per issue.

This week's pickups (including 1 book released last week):

• Archie vs. Predator #1
• Avengers Millennium #3
• Birthright #6
• Convergence #2
• Convergence Batman Shadow of the Bat #1
• Convergence Green Lantern/Parallax #1
• Convergence Superboy #1
• Deathlok #7
• Legendary Star-Lord #11
• Spider-Man and the X-Men #5

I have to wonder why Archie Comics is so radical these days. They can't be hurting financially considering how well their distribution is, and they don't need no stinking movie sales.

Use code STARWARS at checkout for a free month of marvel unlimited with a buttload of star wars dark horse comics too. Sorry if this was mentioned already.

Dear Marvel, I Still don't give a shit about X-Men. Even more so with people now written as gay or getting married for gimmicks sake.

...Or I just don't care about Bendis. I Don't know! Eitherway!

I knew Iceman was gay, didn't anybody watch Top Gun?

Just found a reprint issue of those awesome Spectre comics from the 1970s. Meanwhile friend completed his Mask 1st series.

It was clear iceman was gay on Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. Anyone that close to firestar in his underwear...well you get it.

I don't really mind because in real life some people live in the closet.

---

The marriage panels are pretty weak. Did Bendis write them? If so he is slipping. As far as the content, they are obviously pandering to the female audience.  I might have to start watching Days of Our Lives to get grittier storylines than marvel books.

Meh, my money is on these kids are actually from a parallel earth now and can't go home because it went boom in the secret wars build up. My future self isn't gay indeed. Other than the blip with Cyclops blinking out when Tyke-clops was dieing it would all fit.

Though really there have been a lot of hints over the years. The deep secret Emma found out when taking over Bobby's body in the nineties that was never followed up on. Other bits here and there.

As for the wedding to come. Ultimate meh. No investment what so ever, minimum build up, and lacking any impact. In short, this had best not happen because the setup for it has been that minimal and it is completely out of character.

Bendis is off the x-books soon, got tired of half his plots midway through, and abandoned them anyway leaving the next writers to clean up his messes and all the threads left dangling. Seriously, does no one care Xavier married Mystique or has that not happened now? Also while this one isn't on Bendis necessarily, where is Wasp? Didn't Havok kidnap her at the end of Axis?

Did Bendis even explain how Drax came back from the dead or are we to assume that never happened and just say "HEEEERE'S DRAX!"?

Heads up, Comixology is having some good deals right now: TMNT, some image series like Saga and Southern Bastards and the Busiek Avengers run.

Bendis is off the x-books soon, got tired of half his plots midway through, and abandoned them anyway leaving the next writers to clean up his messes and all the threads left dangling. Seriously, does no one care Xavier married Mystique or has that not happened now? Also while this one isn't on Bendis necessarily, where is Wasp? Didn't Havok kidnap her at the end of Axis?
I feel the X books have become so muddled the last few years.

Havok is still supposed to be evil but he was hanging out with Cyclops like a month or two ago.

How is Daken back to being normal? Isn't he still the Horsemen of Death and last he was seen before his current pop up he was carrying away the unconcious bodies of the Apocalypse Twins.

Nightcrawler is alive and well after being transported out of Heaven. I guess don't look in his casket. (Why didn't Prof X say maybe I should come back and help too after everything has gone to shit?)

Fantomex was separted into three diffferent people but apparently they came back together off screen and he became a rampaging monster for a while.

The Xaiver and Mystique thing annoyed me. It was like that was some big reveal but it was never mentioned after a few minutes.

Since Wolverine died it seems like most of the Jean Grey School kids have fallen of the radar too. There was so much Quentin, Apocalypse Jr., and that girl (Emi or something) but now they have kind of faded away. There also doesn't seem to be much fall out from the whole Red Skull Onlsaught series. Apocalypse Jr. was last seen hiding at Deadpool's house and almost everyone else just kind of went back to normal and never mentioned anything again. The only thing good out of that was Superior Iron-Man.

But I guess muddled X-men books are pretty much normal. Sabertooth was dead in hell, but then it turned out he was a clone, and then he was in charge of the hand, then he was Lady Hydra's (I think) pet chained to her chair, and finally now he is kind of an Avenger/looking for Wolverine's corpse.

11 books for me this week. 1 was released last month and 2 are $1 "True Believers" reprints:

• Amazing Spider-Man Special #1
• Avengers Millennium #4
• Avengers: Operation Hydra #1
• Convergence #3
• Convergence: Adventures of Superman #1
• Guardians of the Galaxy & X-Men: Black Vortex Omega #1
• Inhuman Special #1
• Star Wars #4
• True Believers: Armor Wars #1
• True Believers: Infinity Gauntlet #1
• Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #4

I feel the X books have become so muddled the last few years.

Nightcrawler is alive and well after being transported out of Heaven. I guess don't look in his casket. (Why didn't Prof X say maybe I should come back and help too after everything has gone to shit?)

The Xaiver and Mystique thing annoyed me. It was like that was some big reveal but it was never mentioned after a few minutes.
The prior I blame on Xavier being an uncaring, manipulative shit as usual. If it doesn't fit his plans, he doesn't care and he is happy where he is, thank you very much. Besides his X-men have shit to do don't you know, that will only occur with the reading of his will. Or that is how I would have justified it if Bendis hadn't decided to abandon the plot thread with the will entirely.

As for the latter, that's Bendis deciding to abandon the book mid plot threads and completely abandon shit he set up because he is jumping shit. In other words, shitty story telling because someone got tired and lazy midway through his obligations. I also blame that for Havok and the rapid Kitty/Quill stuff. Havok went from mutant supremacy and kill all humans to, "Well, we are just going to defend mutants and send a message."

The prior I blame on Xavier being an uncaring, manipulative shit as usual. If it doesn't fit his plans, he doesn't care and he is happy where he is, thank you very much. Besides his X-men have shit to do don't you know, that will only occur with the reading of his will. Or that is how I would have justified it if Bendis hadn't decided to abandon the plot thread with the will entirely.

As for the latter, that's Bendis deciding to abandon the book mid plot threads and completely abandon shit he set up because he is jumping shit. In other words, shitty story telling because someone got tired and lazy midway through his obligations. I also blame that for Havok and the rapid Kitty/Quill stuff. Havok went from mutant supremacy and kill all humans to, "Well, we are just going to defend mutants and send a message."

I believe the Mystique- Prof X marriage was retconned at the end of that story when what's her name went back and changed the past. Hence the revelation that he changed his will.

picture of jared leto as the joker in the new suicide squad movie

CDZbuEiUUAAtGQb.jpg

Garbage. Give me Dennis Quaid and a parallelized Batgirl and I will buy a ticket. I guess they couldn't ruin the character enough with Heath...Hopefully Harley will weigh 250 lbs, so that more obese women will feel "empowered" and dress up like her at comic conventions. Oh wait, that already happens.

bread's done
Back